11. whisper weakly

The Untouchables

Sehun does not acknowledge me whatsoever the next day. He merely throws me a condescending sneer, which I reciprocate. I watch as Krystal murmurs something in his ear, and their entire table looks at me and erupts in harsh laughter.

 

Guess we’re back to normal, then.

 

God, why is Sehun is so hot and cold? Last night, he was so sweet and funny and... cute. The kind of person I would have loved to be friends with. And now he is back to being callous and snobby. Like he is a completely different person.

 

“Are you going to Jaehyuk’s party today?” JB asks during breakfast, dipping his tater tots in cinnamon glaze.

 

“Ew, what are you doing?” I dip a spoon in the cinnamon glaze and stick it in my mouth, throwing him a disgusted look. “This is how cinnamon glaze should be eaten.”

 

Or, they should be eaten on top of cinnamon rolls, like they were meant to be,” Jackson cuts in, and I stick my tongue out at him.


    “I can’t go tonight,” I tell JB. “I have to work today. I totally forgot.”

 

“At the Honey Cafe, right?” Fei asks.

 

“Yup. Free black forest cake if you come in with your student ID!” I add sarcastically.

 

Suzy’s eyebrows shoot up. “Wait. Really?”

 

“Well... yeah.”

 

“Guys, let’s go! I want cake!”

 

“Me, too,” Min says. She pushes her grapefruit around her plate distastefully. “I can only eat plants for so long. Screw Jaehyuk’s party. Let’s go get cake.”

 

I blink. What the hell? In all my time of working at Honey Cafe, a student from Andong has never, ever visited. Seriously, why would a wealthy prep school student go to a dinky little place like the Honey Cafe?

 

And honestly... part of me appreciates that. I always have to put up a facade at school, act like the cool, refined popular girl that I am supposed to be. But when I’m at the Honey Cafe, I can just be myself. No makeup, no superficial conversations about Fashion Week, no acting. Just Haemin and I ing around until we get yelled at by our manager.

 

“I really don’t think you guys want to come,” I say, praying that they drop the idea. “Don’t worry, just go to the party. I’ll catch up with you guys later- and I’ll make sure to save you some cake.”

 

“Aw, Mihi.” Suzy pouts. “Are you sure?”

 

I smile. “Positive.”

 


 

My Calculus class is cancelled- my professor has fallen sick- so I take my books to the lake and settle down for a good hour of studying. The weather is uncharacteristically beautiful for the middle of November. I might as well take advantage of it.

 

The soft lapping of the water against the grassy banks of land is a soothing noise. I catch myself staring into the lake more than once.

 

My eyes droop shut and I lie on my back, basking in the sunlight. It is so nice here. I really should be studying right now... but I am sure I can spare a few moments-

 

The sound of shouting fills the air. I sit up warily.

 

“...if we find it quickly, you can play again!” a familiar voice exclaims. I curl my lip. Park Chanyeol.

 

“It’s just a keychain,” another voice mutters, and I involuntarily roll my eyes. Sehun. “The whole ‘good-luck’ thing is just a-”

 

“Yo, just tell us where you saw it last!” Baekhyun says.

 

“You tore your freaking meniscus during the first game we didn’t have it, and now you’re out for the entire season. The second game we didn’t have it, we lost to Handong Prep.” Kyungsoo groans. “We can’t go another game without it!”

 

I blanch. . They’re looking for the keychain. Sehun’s keychain. The one which is currently sitting at the bottom of the lake.

 

“Let’s split up,” Chanyeol says. “Baek and I can go that way, you guys can go that way, and Sehun can go look there.”

 

I warily gather my things. I need to get out of here fast, before anyone sees me-

 

Too late. Sehun is coming down the low hillocks, and judging by the expression on his face, he has already spotted me.

 

Scowling, he asks, “What are you doing here?”

 

I narrow my eyes. “Wow, you’re actually talking to me? I feel blessed.”

 

He sneers. “Are you mad that I’m not talking to you? Aw, I didn’t realize you valued me so much.”

 

“Whatever. I’m leaving. Good luck finding your stupid keychain.”

 

The look on his face changes. “How do you know I’m looking for my keychain?”

 

“I could hear you and your stupid friends from all the way over here. And no, I’m not going to help you.”

 

Instead of snapping back a rude retort, however, Sehun takes a seat next to me. I bristle.

 

“Calm down,” he says, his tone oddly weary. “I just want to sit.”

 

“You should really be looking for your keychain. Isn’t it lucky or something?”

 

There is silence. I look over at him. He is staring into the lake, a cloudy expression on his face.

 

“That’s not why I want to find it,” he finally says.

 

“Then... why do you want to find it?” His keychain looked simple and cheap- something that could be easily replaced. Why is he so interested in it?

 

Sehun sighs. “Because I bought that keychain when I was 7 as a souvenir from my first trip to a planetarium.”

 

Oh, .

 

.

 

I wince, biting my lip. The guilt in my stomach- which I thought had disappeared a few weeks after chucking his keychain in the lake- has returned with a vengeance.

 

“It was my first time learning about the stars and the constellations and all,” Sehun muses. “The feeling of being in that dark room, looking up at the sky that was full of stars- you can’t see the stars in Seoul. I remember thinking about how amazing it all was. I fell in love. At the end of the day, before we went home, I begged my mom to buy that keychain for me.”

 

Holy crap, I feel so bad.

 

I inch over to him.

 

“Sehun,” I say.

 

He glances over at me. “Hmm?”

 

“I’m really sorry. That... really .”

 

He exhales. “It’s alright. It was just a stupid keychain, I guess.”

 

I honestly do not know what to say. There is absolutely no way I can tell him that I am responsible for the loss of his keychain- if Sehun discovered this, he would slaughter me. I can just imagine everyone blaming me for our soccer team’s misfortune, shouting at me for causing Sehun’s injury-

 

    Wait, which reminds me-

 

    I stare at Sehun’s knee. “Hey. Is your knee better already? Shouldn’t you be wearing a brace or something?”

 

    And then something happens that I never, ever thought I would see in my life:

 

Sehun’s face turns bright red.

 

“Uh, oh yeah! My knee brace! Because... I tore my meniscus.”

 

I frown. “You know, I don’t think I’ve seen you wear your brace at all. I even forgot that your hurt your knee in the first place.”

 

“O-Oh, it’s because I’m a really fast recoverer,” Sehun stammers. “You know what they say about the Oh family line, you know, we’re... uh, we have resolves of steel and all. Yeah, I’m good. I’m find. Hey, you know what? I think I should go look for my keychain. It was nice talking to you, Mihi. See ya!”

 

And he scrambles off surprisingly quickly.

 

Too quickly for someone with a knee injury.

 


 

“Mihi. Mihi!

 

My head snaps up. Haemin is staring at me with a frustrated look on her face.

 

“Dude. You’ve literally been putting whipped cream on that sundae for 5 minutes.”

 

I look down at the ice cream sundae in shock. An enormous mountain of white cream is balancing precariously on the scoops of double fudge and strawberry, thanks to the can of Ready Whip in my hands. “Crap!” I hiss, taking off the excess cream with a knife. “Sorry.”

 

“What is with you? You’ve been zoning out all night.”

 

I shake my head. “There’s just been a lot on my mind.”

 

“Spill, Miss Popular. I want to know about your glitzy debutante life.”

 

“Shut up!” I blush. “It’s nothing. Just... boy problems, I guess. Sehun problems.”

 

“Ooh la la! Has your handsome prince jilted you in some way? Did he find out you only own 7 summer estates instead of 8? Were you a little too late in learning about the peacock feather hats that are in style this season?"

 

I roll my eyes, giggling. "Why are you so dumb-,"

 

"Oh, god, I know." She throws me a scandalized look. "He found out about your red BMW, and ditched you because you own a poor person’s car!”

 

“I hate you, Haemin!” I shriek, flinging a handful of whipped cream at her. It hits her straight in the middle of her apron, and Haemin gasps with disbelief.

 

“That is no way for a lady to act!” she says in mock indignation, and grabs a fistful of whipped cream herself. “Here, take this!

 

Unfortunately, Haemin underestimated her own throwing abilities. Her range is much farther than both of us believed it to be.

 

Also unfortunately, the door to the Honey Cafe opens right as Haemin’s whipped cream blob is catapulting across the room.

 

Haemin and I can only stare in shock as the whipped cream hits our newest customer right in the face.

And then I whisper weakly, “Hey, JB.”

 


A/N: yuhhh guys sorry for not updating in so long... i have writers block... and im so stressed from school and college and ... AND IM SO SAD LMFAO I JUST GOT OVER MY TOP COLLEGE DEFERRING ME SO THATS BEEN FUN....

im in costa rica rn lmfao i wanna go home