10. the strangest night

The Untouchables

I understand what Min said about needing to establish my reputation.

 

Before, I was simply marveled as something new and interesting. A nerdy scholarship student with no friends turned into an attractive girl who hung out with popular kids. Someone was finally going up against Oh Sehun. I was a sort of enigma.

 

But now I am revered. Admired. I walk down the hallways and people smile and wave as I pass by, brandishing pictures of Hyuna and I on their phones, chattering about how awesome I am. When Hyuna sees me at breakfast on Monday morning, she tackles me in a huge bear hug and exclaims, “There’s my partner in crime!” We make plans to get our nails done in town this weekend. Instead of congregating around Sehun’s desk in class, half of my classmates gather around my desk. Three boys asked me out today. People are looking at me like I am a goddess.

 

And it feels good as hell.

 

I haven’t even looked at Sehun this whole time. After handing his tshirt, sweats, and cardigan to JB and asking him to give it back to Sehun, I have tried my best to push him out of my mind... along with what he said about all my friends.

 

Unfortunately, that is harder said than done. Sometimes, when I am surrounded by JB, Mark, Suzy, new friends, and new admirers, who are all laughing at a joke I have just made, or when I have just politely turned down a boy who has asked me to join him for a 5-course meal at a fancy restaurant over the weekend, I cannot help but glance around, wondering if Oh Sehun has seen me. Usually, he is not around, but when he is in the vicinity, he is occupied with Krystal, or Victoria, or a group of his guy friends. He is as good as the silent treatment as I am.

 

Whatever. I don’t care.

 

My days are filled with laughter. My nights are filled with parties. My social calendar is packed. Everyone thinks I am a queen.

 

This is how it feels to be an Untouchable.

 

I feel on top of the mothering world.

 

Until progress reports come out on Wednesday and I discover that my grades have dropped in every single one of my classes.

 


 

    “Wha- holy , are these grades even real?” JB  gasps, gaping at my report card. “Mihi, if I got these grades, my parents would literally buy me a palace. No, an island!”

 

    “You have at least a 90 out of a 100 in every one of your classes,” Suzy tells me soothingly. She gently pats my back. “I don’t understand why you’re upset, Mihi. You’re doing really well.”

 

    “But I used to have 97 out of 100s in everything,” I sniffle, clutching my knees to my chest. “And if my grades keep dropping like this- what if they take away my scholarship? Oh my god, then I’ll have to go home, and all of this will be for nothing-,”

 

    “Calm down!” Fei says. “They’ll take away your scholarship if you start getting 60s or 70s. Like me.” A shudder runs through her body. “Oh, , these aren’t going to be sent out to our parents, right?”

 

I wipe my nose with a tissue. God, I must sound so obnoxious right now. Thank god no one else is seeing me, because it would completely crush my new image of being a cool party girl who couldn’t care less about grades.

 

But I do care about grades. I’ve devoted myself to my studies ever since I was young. Why?

 

Because up until now, it was the only thing I had going for me.

 

What do I do? I can’t cancel all my plans. But I have to study.

 

I bury my face in my hands. Looks like I’ll have to start drinking way more coffee.

 


 

I do not know whether I should go to Astronomy Club or not. Being alone with Sehun for an hour is the last thing I want.

 

But if I go, I have a solid excuse for not going out.

 

“Aw, why can’t you come tonight?” Hyuna pouts.

 

I wince. “Sorry, but I have a club meeting.”

 

“Ooh! What club? I want to join, too!”

 

“Me too!” Moon Jiyoung exclaims, and everyone nods enthusiastically.

 

“U-Uhm, it’s, like, an academic club... like, we study proto-neutrons and help grade, um, term papers and stuff and analyze the particles that comprise a quark system in a neutrino that encompasses the core elements of the-,”

 

Hyuna holds up both hands. “Okay, I’ll pass. Just join us tomorrow, okay?”

 

“Okay.” I smile weakly.

 

When I enter the observatory that night 9 PM, with a book bag slung over my arm and an enormous thermos of coffee in my hand, and see Sehun looking through a telescope, I am half expecting him to kick me out.

 

But he does not even turn to look at me enter.

 

Good.

 

I settle down in the corner, amongst beanbags and pillows, and get to work. 3 different books are open around me as I tediously take notes for History of Asia. Dates and numbers and names swim around my head as I write and write and write.

 

I lose track of time. My hand begins cramping. I take a swig of coffee. The air grows colder and I pull my jacket tighter around me as I continue working.

 

Sehun is still studying star charts on the other side of the room. Silence hangs in the air. I hope he leaves soon. This is a good place to work, and it would be even better if he was not here.

 

Minutes turn into hours. I finish History of Asia and turn to Calculus. I drink some more coffee.

 

The silence is so heavy. The numbers on the page are blurring into a jumbled mess of black ink. I pinch myself and finish my mug of coffee.

 

You have to stay awake, I command myself after I catch myself dozing off for the third time. You need to at least finish Chemistry.

 

It must be past midnight. Why is Sehun still here?

 

Keep working, Mihi...

 


 

It’s so warm and toasty.

 

I smile, burrowing myself deeper in what feels like a fluffy cloud. Everything feels so wonderfully cozy...

 

Wait. Wait a minute.

 

No.

 

!” I gasp, shooting up. I am lying in a swath of soft red blankets and plushy pillows on a sofa in the observatory. Judging by the lack of light, it must still be Thursday- or, should I say, Friday morning. I confusedly rub my eyes, glancing around the room. My body is swathed in a familiar oversized cardigan.

 

And there is Sehun, scribbling something on a sheet of paper. His eyes dart up to me. “You’re awake. You fell asleep on your books, so I just moved you.”

 

I rub my eyes, disheveled. Dammit. Why did I let myself fall asleep? And in front of Oh Sehun, too? The prospect of Sehun carrying me to the sofa makes me redden in embarrassment.

 

I yawn, and out of the corner of my eye, I notice him staring at me. Our eyes meet, and I quickly look away.

 

“Do you want to come look?” he asks after a short silence. He gestures towards the telescope. “You’re probably going to go back to studying. You might as well take a little break.”

 

I peer at him from beneath a heap of blankets. Why is he being so... weird? There was no need for him to carry me to the sofa, and I do not know why he is talking to me right now. We have been giving each other the silent treatment for days.

 

And if someone had screamed that they hated me and wanted to see me go down, I certainly would not be this cordial towards them.

 

Guilt wells up in my stomach after I remember that incident.

 

I suppose I might as well, I think, and take a seat next to Sehun, blankets and all.

 

A small smile appears on his face. “Here, look,” he says, nudging the telescope towards me. “See that striped circle? That’s-,”

 

“Oh my god, is that Jupiter?” I gasp. “Holy crap! This telescope’s so good!”

 

He laughs, and then guides the telescope elsewhere. “And right... here. This is the Hercules cluster.”

 

I peer at the smattering of faint, glowing specks. “Is it a nebula?”

 

“No. It’s a cluster of about 200 galaxies.”

 

My jaw drops. I look at Sehun in shock. “No way. 200 galaxies?

 

There is a pleased expression on his face. “Yeah. But they’re about 500 million light-years away.”

 

“Oh my god...,” I look at the Hercules cluster again. “That’s... amazing. It’s crazy to think about. In one of those galaxies... there could be people just like us- wait, that sounds like the multiverse theory. Do you believe in that theory, by the way? I’ve heard of it.”

 

“The theory that parallel universes exist? I don’t know. If you examine the eternal inflation and ekpyrotic theories, you could assume the initial condition of these universes is at its maximum level, but then you would have to take the chaotic inflation variant into account, which is- I’m sorry, I probably make no sense right now- see, the eternal inflation theory is where- okay, I’m rambling.” Sehun ducks his head and I burst out into laughter. It’s so weird seeing Oh Sehun like this, all embarrassed and tongue-tied. He seems nothing like the cold, spiteful boy I know.

 

Sehun looks at me, and the grin slowly fades off his face. We lock gazes. I swallow.

 

“I’m sorry, Mihi,” he says softly.

 

I blink. “What?”

 

“What I said on Saturday... it’s not my place to lecture you about what you should and shouldn’t do. And I’m sorry for saying that stuff about your friends. I don’t really think they’re just using you to get back at me. I... I guess I’m just biased. Because Mark and I don’t like each other. I mean, I’m pretty sure Jackson and them were too wiped to even walk on Friday. It’s not their fault that they didn’t come and get you. And I know I can come off as condescending but-,”

 

“Sehun,” I say, a small smile quirking up the corners of my lips.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Why are you rambling so much?”

 

He rolls his eyes. “I’m trying to apologize here-,”

 

“No way! Is the Oh Sehun saying sorry? Oh my god!”

 

Sehun and I chuckle, and I pull the blankets tighter around me.

 

“I should be saying sorry,” I say quietly. “What I yelled at you was really mean. Especially after you and JB took care of me. Also after I threw up in your car.”

 

“That was really gross,” Sehun tells me. “I was traumatized.”

 

“Sorry,” I huff, burying my head in my hands.

 

“Don’t worry about it. Does this mean we can go back to normal now?”

 

“What? What do you mean, normal?”

 

“You know. I with you, you with me? We fight? We hate each other's guts?”

 

My jaw drops. “What? Why would you want to do that? Shouldn’t we be trying to, I don’t know, resolve our issues and become friends or something?”

 

He smirks. “But that’s no fun.”

 

I roll my eyes. Of course. What else did I expect?

 

“I wish I’d recorded you babbling away,” I mutter under my breath. “It was the cutest I’d ever seen you.”

 

“What was that?” Sehun says, grinning. I suddenly realize what I have said and blush.

 

“I said, it’s the dumbest I’ve ever seen you. Screw you, Sehun! It’s, like, 1 in the morning. I’m hallucinating. I’m going to sleep. I hate you.”

 

“I hate you, too!” Sehun calls cheerfully after me, and then adds, “Oh, and Mihi?”

 

I whirl around. “What?

 

“Don’t overwork yourself.”

 

I slam the door shut in response.

 

What the heck? What’s wrong with him? Was that really Oh Sehun? No way. Oh Sehun isn’t so... weird.

 

And what’s wrong with me? Why is my face so hot?

This is the strangest night I have ever had.

This must have been a dream, I think to myself as I hurry out of the Fluck building. This is all just some crazy, ed up dream.

 


A/N: aight.... i have made a decision... this isnt going to be a deep story its just going 2 be dumb fluffy and stupid... also it prolly wont be super long and if it is itll just be dumb and fluffy and dumb.... its like 2:14 am i dont rly know what im doing 

and smh there was no jb in this chapter