Can't Breathe Without You

Twenty Years To Discover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

AGES: 7 & 5

“Run faster Jiminnie we’re going to be late,” seven-year-old Taehyung yells at his friend.

“Late to what? We’re going to the playground, not school,” seven-year-old Jimin replies.

The two have been best friends since birth. Although Jimin is older by a few months, Taehyung runs the show.

“If we get there late, the younger kids will have taken up all the fun playground equipment,” Taehyung explains.

And Jimin admits the boy has a point.

Last week, he had to ride the stupid bouncy bear thing because some obnoxious five-year-old would not share the jungle gym. Just thinking about it makes Jimin pout, he loves to climb.

“I sure hope that kid from last week isn’t there,” Jimin says as he catches up to his friend.

“You mean Kookie?” Taehyung asks.

“Kookie?” Jimin looks at his friend curiously.

“You know the kid who was on the jungle gym, he looks a bit like a rabbit,” Taehyung answers.

“Yeah, him, I hope he isn’t there. Hey, how do you know his name? Why would his parents name him Kookie?” Jimin asks as they round the corner, their destination a mere few feet away.

“His real name is Jungkook. He’s the son of the new neighbors,” Taehyung states, “My mom made me take over a jar of kimchi to them. Why do grown-ups do that, give new people food? Are they hungry?” Taehyung has all but forgotten about the five-year-old, his mind having moved on to his favorite topic - food.

“Dunno, my mom made me do that too when Namjoon hyung’s family moved here, ‘member?” Jimin scrunches his eyebrows together.

The boys happily chatter about what cool adults they’ll be, and how they’re going to give useful things to the neighbors like video games or Legos. 

As the duo make their way to the park, they are greeted by the sound of raised voices. It is not until they are on the playground that they register what is going on. A crowd of older boys are bullying a younger boy, taunting the child by calling him names. The youngster's face is messy with dirt and tear stains.

Jimin is the first to recognize the younger boy. It’s none other than Jungkook. And before Jimin can stop himself, he is dragging Taehyung to the ride to defend the child. The younger boy may not be Jimin’s favorite, but no one deserves to be bullied.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Jimin yells at the older boys who are harassing the child. 

The ringleader is an eight-year-old named Chanyeol, and Jimin does not like Chanyeol. The older boy had messed with Taehyung once; something Jimin put an immediate stop to.

Chanyeol’s eyes grow wide when he sees Jimin. They have an understanding; he doesn’t touch anyone Jimin likes, and the younger boy won’t beat him up in front of his friends.

“What are you doing to my friend?” Jimin’s eyes are glued to the older boy.

“N-nothing,” Chanyeol says too quickly. “Come on guys, this kid’s no fun, anyway,” and at Chanyeol's command, the group walks away.

Jungkook is sitting on the ground, tears streaming down his face. Taehyung races to the boy’s side. “Kookie, are you okay? Are you hurt? Want us to take you home?” He showers the youngster with questions.

But the only answer he receives are tiny hands wrapping around his neck pulling Taehyung close. The child drops his head on Taehyung’s neck and begins to cry harder. Jimin sits on the other side of the boy and starts patting Jungkook’s back.

“It’s okay, they'll never do that again. Taehyung and I have your back, all right? We’ll take care of you.”

Jungkook sits up and wipes the tears from his eyes.

“You promise?" the boy hiccups.

Jimin and Taehyung laugh. The kid was adorable.

At five and seven they become the best of friends.

 

AGES 15 & 17

“Jimin-ah, hurry the hell up,” Taehyung snickers as the words leave Jungkook’s mouth.

“Yah! Be nice, Jimin is your hyung you brat,” Taehyung says in between laughter as Jimin emerges from his house  and immediately grabs Jungkook into a headlock.

“Yah! I am two years older than you, kid,” the boy replies as he drags Jungkook’s head further down.

“Yeah, but you’re like two feet shorter,’ the youngster says,  laughing.

“I am not!” Jimin exclaims and lets Jungkook go.

“I know, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter