surprise surprise!

If you were mine...

 

Hyoyeon let out a gasp.

“Hyukjae!”

 

Sooyoung jerked her head towards her, “You know oppa?”

“Uh?” Hyoyeon realized she had said his name outloud. “Not personally,” she answered quickly, “but he’s best friends with my best friend so we’ve met a few times.”

 

Her eyes followed Hyukjae at the front of the class as he demonstrated some warm up exercises.

“And you didn’t know he was teaching this class?” the interrogation of Choi Sooyoung continued but this time Hyoyeon simply shook her head.

 

The class had quieted down now and was focusing entirely on Hyukjae. He was already doing some light freestyle movements – simple but enough to make Hyoyeon stare in awe. She had much to learn.. and she was ready for it!

 

Since it was a beginners’ class, Hyukjae showed them a series of basic moves and then asked them to practise it over and over again, while he walked around checking how each one was doing.

 

Unknowningly Hyoyeon felt a little nervous as his presence drew nearer but Sooyoung’s height and big personality kept her in the shadows a little longer.

“Sooyoungie!” Hyukjae spoke in a low voice in order to not interrupt the rest, but his joy at seeing her was evident.

“Oppa!” Sooyoung, however, was incapable of being quiet so she shouted outloud causing everyone to look back at them. “Mianhe yo!” she shooed them away confidently and Hyukjae could only shake his head in amusement.

“Why are you in the beginners’ class again? I told you you could level up, right? Do you love me that much?” he grinned cheekily. “Can’t go a single day without seeing my handsome face?” Hyoyeon observed them from the corner of her eye. Her interest was piqued. ‘Were they a couple?’ She recalled her last conversation with Hyukjae and just like that things were falling into place. ‘Not his type at all? So this is what he meant! Modelesque, tall, legs that go for miles – I’m the total opposite for sure! Phew I feel a 100 times better now. I knew I wasn’t getting annoyed at him because I like him or anything. It’s just because I hate it when people don’t tell me the full story and now that I know the reasons, I can stop wondering. Yahoo!”

Feeling relieved and free, Hyoyeon tuned the two people out and went back to practising her steps.

***********************************************************************

Hyukjae grinned widely as he watched Sooyoung fluster at his comment. He enjoyed teasing the younger girl – she had nursed a big crush on him in middle school and he still remembered her following him and Siwon around like a lost puppy for a whole summer; a memory Sooyoung would love to forget!

She had gotten over the childish admiration upon entering High School and realizing that she needn’t crush over someone unachievable like her brother’s best friend, who treated her like his annoying younger sister – not when there were plenty of boys her own age crushing over her and falling over themselves to please her.

“I’m only here because Miss Gahi terrifies the life out of me so you only wish. You’ve lost me for good, Lee hyuk jae!” she referred to him informally and stuck out her tongue in defiance.

“Mwoh?” Hyukjae’s eyes widened and he was about to reach over to flick her forehead when Sooyoung ducked quickly. His arm froze in the air.

Fully expecting him to at least attempt to complete the hit, Sooyoung prepared to dodge whichever way but.. nothing!

She removed her arms from in front of her face and looked up and found Hyukjae staring off into space.

Sooyoung tilted her head in the direction and found – her new best friend, Yeonie.

‘Interesting!’

 

Hyukjae quickly pulled himself together before anyone noticed and stepped over Sooyoung, “Hyoyeon!”

The girl in question was too engrossed in her practise so he repeated her name once more, a little louder.

“Oh for godsake!” Sooyoung violently pushed him out of the way and poked Hyoyeon’s shoulder before going back to her spot and practising, leaving Hyukjae standing by himself.

“Huh? Wae..?” Hyoyeon turned around in surprise. “Oh hi Hyukjae!”

 

Those few seconds had given him the time to collect himself and Hyukjae smiled confidently, “Surprised to see you here, Hyoyeon.”

“Same here!” she grinned, breathing a little uncomfortably due to the dancing.

“Really? But I told you about the studio.”

“You also said that you’re a student, not a teacher!”

“Ah!” Hyukjae nodded, “I teach the beginners but I’m taking a bunch of the advanced classes. I’m glad you are here though! I can finally see those amazing dance moves that Donghae keeps raving about.”

“Oh pshh,” Hyoyeon waved her hand shyly, “you know Donghae, he likes to exaggerate.”

 “Speaking of the devil, can you believe he’s been gone for two weeks already!”

“I know! I’m glad he’s maturing and all but.. I miss him a lot! Specially now that he’s joining some super private cram school that won’t even let him use his phone or the internet!”

“Ah… yea.”

 

“Err.. excuse me sunsaengnim, but I think the time’s up! Can we go home?”

 

They turned to where the voice had come from while Sooyoung giggled in the background.

Hyukjae quickly walked back to the front clapping his hands, “Yes, everyone you’ve done really great today! I can tell you guys are going to be the star class this year! And remember, today was just a demo class so regular lessons begin tomorrow. They will take place every weeknight of the month from 7-9 pm, mostly because I’m not a morning person. And they will be intense so bring your A game!” he winked playfully while much of the class erupted in worried chatter. “There will be snack breaks, don’t worry. Now, out! All of you!”

 

Hyoyeon, just like the other students, gathered her things and giving a brief wave to Sooyoung, “Bye, it was really nice to meet you. See you tomorrow!” hurried along. However, Sooyoung’s long arm stuck out and closed over her wrist.

“What’s the rush, Yeonie? Let’s go for brunch together.” She pulled her to where Hyukjae was locking up the sound equipment, “Oppa will treat!”

 

“What?” Hyoyeon’s brown eyes turned round in surprise – Sooyoung was probably trying to be friendly but being an awkward third wheel was not on Hyoyeon’s list of things to do today – “I ..it’s ok. I have to go somewhere anyway.”

“Oh come on.. aren’t we friends now?”

“Yes, we are..” Hyoyeon fished around for an excuse, “but I have to pick up my cousin from the station so I can’t be late!”

“Uh.. I guess you have to go then..”

Hyoyeon nodded and left the room.

 

“I tried oppa!” Sooyoung shrugged while facing Hyukjae. He looked at her in confusion but taking this to be another one of Sooyoung’s eccentric outbursts brushed it away.

“What are you babbling about, bigmouth? Let’s go already. I’m starving!”