when one door closes...

If you were mine...

 

 

“I…” Donghae glanced at his father and back to her. “I’m going to America.. to live for a while.”

‘Say what now?’Hyoyeon gaped at Donghae’s announcement, unsure of whether she had heard him correctly.

“Hey close your mouth, silly! I’m the fish, not you,” Donghae joked as he patted Hyoyeon’s head lightly.

“America? But why? And for how long exactly?” Disappointment was written clearly all over her beautiful face and it made Donghae’s heart beat faster – confident that he had made the right decision. His father was a genius! Absence would make her heart grow fonder of him and then when the time is right, he is going to swoop back into her life, sweep her off her feet and they are going to live happily ever after.

 

He giggled behind his hands like a little boy when he pictured their happy reunion but was rudely awoken from his daydream by Hyoyeon’s impatient tug on his arm.

“Ya Lee Donghae! Answer me!”

 

“Easy there woman, patience is a virtue!” he enjoyed seeing her squirm, especially when it was out of concern for him. But slowly he could see the concern turning into annoyance and he hastily began explaining, “Well you know appa is going to America for a business deal right? I am going to go with him to learn about the business first hand so that I can help him out after I graduate.”

“That… that’s great Hae! Why didn’t you start with that, you idiot! Making me panic for no reason. You’ll be back in a week along with sajangnim, right?”

Donghae shook his head, “No, I’m staying longer. With our business turning international, I’ve realized that I need to know English and we both know I skipped every English class in high school. I knew it would come back to bite me in the tushie someday.”

“But.. there are English Tutoring Centers here!”

“I’ll learn much faster if I immerse myself in American life and culture!” he pointed out and Hyoyeon had to agree.

“So how long is long?” she asked mournfully. Even though Donghae had moved downtown, she was still used to seeing him at least once a week.. it was going to be weird to not have him around for weeks on end.

 

“2 months at the most?”

“Oh.. okay, That’s great!” Hyoyeon put on the sunniest smile she could muster and patted his back encouragingly. “You better not slack off Lee Donghae! Learn quickly and come back.”

“Your wish is my command, my lady.” He winked and this time, Hyoyeon didn’t scold him. She even let him hug her freely .. something Donghae took full advantage of by not letting go until his own arms began to feel jelly-like. 'Aish this stupid body! I have to also work out harder while I'm in America! So when I come back, I will never get tired of hugging her. You are also a genius Donghae ya :)'

 

Mr. Lee left the youngsters alone to chat and say goodbye until Donghae himself had to leave. He still had to inform Hyukjae of his decision and pack some things from his apartment since their flight was the following night.

Hyoyeon waved at his car until it disappeared from sight and then turned back to say goodnight to Mr. Lee.

 

She was surprised to see he had a faraway, almost longing look on his face.

“Sajangnim, are you alright?”

His blurry eyes cleared up quickly, focusing in on her in the alert, twinkling way she was used to. “Of course, my dear but I would really be a lot better if you called me ‘Appa’ or just ‘Abeonim’ like Hyukjae does.”

“Ah… that,” Hyoyeon’s cheeks flushed a pretty pink. She respected the man too much to call him a name, that to her, didn’t resonate very positively. “I…”

“I’m just pulling your leg, Hyoyeonie.” His smile was warm and friendly just like Donghae’s, “But there’s one thing I wanted to talk to you about so can you give me a few minutes?”

She nodded profusely and followed him inside the house.

 

He strode into his office leaving the door open for Hyoyeon to follow him in.

“You remember me telling you that the café will be closed while I’m away, right?”

“Yes.”

“I think I will be gone a little longer, at least a month, now that Donghae is going with me so I prepared something.” He handed her an envelope but immediately guessing what might be in there, Hyoyeon put her hands behind her back, refusing to accept.

“Why?”

“No.. sajangnim. I really appreciate your kindness but I can’t.”

The older man observed her with his lips twitching to turn into a full grin, “What exactly do you think is in here, Hyoyeonie?”

She blushed profusely – the thought suddenly occurring that she might be wrong and it would be really mortifying - “A month’s salary?”

Mr. Lee began to laugh heartily.

(Oh god! what if it’s just a list of chores or a letter he needs mailing~ ah I’m so embarrassed!)

 

He walked to her and opening up her hand, placed the envelope in her palm. “Open it.”

And so she did – her eyes almost fell out of their sockets when she read the contents – This was above and beyond her expectations!

Two months worth of dance lessons at the best Dance Academy in Seoul – all paid for.

 

“Sajangnim… I.. I don’t know what to say.”

“A simple thankyou will do,” he smiled and fully anticipating the young girl’s protests added, “Think of it as a present for all the time and passion you have dedicated to the café and for always taking care of Donghae and his old man. I know that if I just give you time off you are going to look for other part-time jobs but I really want for you to take this chance to explore your natural gift and talent. You were born to be a dancer, my dear!”

“But…” Hyoyeon would feel terribly guilty not contributing to the household expenses.

“No buts. You have been wasting your youth away working 9 to 5 and I know that you eventually plan to go back to an arts college. You deserve this! I’ve already spoken to your aunt and uncle and they agreed that it’s something they have been hoping to do for you as well but you always refused. Now you have no choice because the fees have already been paid and if you don’t go then it will all go to waste.”  

“I…” Hyoyeon was overwhelmed and literally speechless; so she did the only thing she could think of in the moment, she ran to the older Mr. Lee and gave him a big hug. “Thank you…” a pause, “abeonim”.

=======================================================================================================

A/N dearest readers, i have read all your opinions and thought long and hard about them (that's why this update took so long!) but i have disappointing news. No matter how many ways i've tried to change the storyline, i dont think it will be possible. because i had already planned for DOnghae to leave (for a while) there is no choice for me but to push forward. which means that the HyoHyuk interactions will be in focus for a while (until DOnghae returns and he will return and there will be more HyoHae after) I cant guarantee anything about the end right now because that would be giving everything away and thats no fun. lets just say that whichever group of shippers i disappoint in the end, I will write you a oneshot or short story with your pairing to make it up.so please keep reading ok?

p.s this chapter is short because I wanted to warn you of the HyoHyuk chapters that are coming up :D