one last look

If you were mine...

"Taeyeon-a! Hyoyeon-a! wake up! breakfast is ready!"

The two Kim girls simultaenously jerked awake in the dark basement den at the sound of Mrs. Kim's voice calling from the top of the stairs. 

"Uh....." Hyoyeon groaned.

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...." Taeyeon groaned even louder.

"BAD IDEA!" They both groaned in unison. 

 

After lying in the pool of darkness and regret for a few more minutes, Hyoyeon finally ventured out of the covers and the light. 

"Omona, it's 11:00 am. How?"

"Still too early for me." Taeyeon buried her head into her pillow to avoid the bright light. 

"Yah! TaengTaengie let's get up. Samchon must be hungry waiting for us to eat breakfast. You know he wakes up earlier and earlier each day." Hyoyeon yanked her reluctant cousin from under the blankets. "And you're leaving in two hours. Ka-ja!!! Let's go wakey wakey!"

============================================================

The family enjoyed a delicious mini-feast prepared by Mrs. Kim and then lingered around the dining table for another half hour simply chatting and enjoying each other's company. To the older couple, Hyoyeon had become as much their own daughter as Taeyeon and in everything they did, they always treated and thought of the girls equally. Taeyeon had also always wanted a sibling - in fact, for at least a year after Hyoyeon came to live with them, she was convinced that Santa had dropped a younger sister at their doorstep just for her. 

And Hyoyeon? Every day she thanked her lucky stars for this almost too-good-to-be-true reunion.

 

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, leaving you is always sad, cous!" Taeyeon whined as she had her arms tight around Hyoyeon's body, swaying her to and fro, "Remember you still owe me a visit!"

"Na do!" Hyoyeon pouted. She missed the days when they went to school together immensely. But Taeyeon had big dreams of becoming a fashion designer and the Fashion Institute in Busan was the best in the country. She was so talented that the administrators had personally recruited her and offered a full scholarship - she couldn't say no to that. "I'll visit soon!" Hyoyeon promised as she walked the older Kim to the door, still hugging. 

With one final squeeze the girls finally parted and Taeyeon kissed her mother goodbye. 

"I'll be home again soon! Byeee family! Saranghamnida!" 

"Tell Sunny I say hi!" Hyoyeon called after her and waved until Mr. Kim's car drove out of sight.

========================================================

The rest of the day was spent running errands with her aunt, which was one of Hyoyeon's favorite activities. She was very similar to Mrs. Kim in personality and taste, even though they weren't biologically related at all. Growing up, Hyoyeon was always in the kitchen learning new recipes from her or tending to the garden together while Taeyeon sat with her father in the office or the tv room, drawing designs on her treasured sketchpad. Then they'd all come together at dinner time and play games for hours. It was the happiest of days.

Today, Mrs. Kim and Hyoyeon visited the local market shopping for fresh produce and then the greenhouse to pick up some plants. Their final stop was the local bakery where everyone knew them by name and that rounded off their third hour. 

 

Stepping inside the house, Mrs. Kim frowned, "Your samchon is still not home! Wasn't Taeyeonie's train 2 hours ago?"

Hyoyeon nodded and pulled out her phone to text her cousin. 

She was halfway done typing when her uncle walked through the door. 

"Yeobo!" Mrs. Kim exclaimed, "What took you so long?" 

Her husband hung up his coat and then turned to her. "It was all your daughter!" he complained good-naturedly. "Can you believe, her train was leaving in 20 minutes and she suddenly wanted to go shopping? So as expected she missed her train and we had to wait for the next one." 

Hearing this, Mrs. Kim could only chuckle at the typical Taeyeon impulsiveness. "Oh don't pretend! I bet you were happy to get to spend extra time with your little princess" She shot her husband a knowing look causing the man to throw up with hands with a laugh, "Guilty as charged!"

 

Hyoyeon, who had gone into the kitchen to put away the groceries, now entered the room and greeted her uncle. "Samchon, you're back!"

"There's my other little princess!" his eyes twinkled as he spoke and Hyoyeon couldn't help getting that telltale lump in for the millionth time. Although it had been years, the look of love and genuine concern she saw in the eyes of her aunt and uncle never failed to make her choke up with emotion. In the beginning they had insisted she try to call them 'Appa' and 'Umma', just like Taeyeon did but those words didn't really have positive connotations for the young girl. Hence, Hyoyeon still called them 'Eemo' and 'Samchon' but to her, the significance of those words were akin to Mom and Dad. 

"Here you go," he extended a package to her. "From Taeyeonie."

Hyoyeon accepted with a confused look. 

"Don't ask me," he smiled, "she wouldn't tell me what it is but that I was supposed to deliver it to you. There's a note inside."

============================================================

Ten minutes later Hyoyeon was in her room, still wondering why Taeyeon had not given her the present herself. Maybe she was shy?

"The Kim Taeyeon! Shy? No way!" she chuckled and opened up the note.

My darling HyoHyo,

I hope you decide to go to that farewell party and follow the plan that my evil genius-self so kindly shared with you. I know it's soooooo not like you but believe me, my little lamb, being bad sometimes feels sooooooooooooooo good huahaahaha. And just like any worthy fairy godmother, I have picked out the perfect clothes for you to wear for your big night. So go! okay? Pleaseeeee! You can't see but I'm totally making puppy eyes at you! Or at least THINK ABOUT IT FOR LONGER THAN A MINUTE! 

If not, then remember there are plenty of other fish in the sea. And you my most beautiful Angel fish will definitely meet your handsome Clown fish (huahahha) so keep that chin up!

Hugs and kisses,

Your Badass Godmother - TaengTaengie 

p.s Just know you don't have to be home my midnight if you decide to go! I got 'yo back ;)

Hyoyeon's face was starting to hurt a little from how hard she smiled while reading the letter. It was like Taeyeon herself was speaking to her in person - a mini-me gangta TaengTaeng version though :D

After folding up the note, she then turned her curious eyes to the box and found a complete outfit - a sparkly brown slouchy crop top, leather hotpants, black stockings and black leather booties. It was close to Hyoyeon's normal style - just; a super super glam and ified version - and Hyoyeon couldn't help but marvel at her cousin's keen eye. One day, she was sure 'DESIGNER KIM TAEYEON' would become a brand name.

 

Focusing back on the present, she sighed internally 'It would be a complete waste to not wear this amazing outfit.....'  But Hyoyeon was too embarassed to carry out Taeyeon's plan. After thinking hard about it all night, she was feeling quite sure that she had dreamed up Hyukjae's confession. After all, he was standing outside her window when she woke up and his behaviour was completely normal and friendly - in a strictly platonic sense - while saying good night.

'NO!' she shook her head vigorously, 'I'm sorry Tae, but I can't make a bigger fool of myself in front of him.'

She folded up everything neatly and placed them back in the box.

=====================================================================

There was, however, one part of the promise that she did want to keep to Taeyeon and so, later that evening Hyoyeon found herself in the familiar studio awaiting the start of class.

 

"Hyoyeon unnie!" Nicole almost pounced on her, "Minyoung says that you aren't coming to the party tomorrow! She's kidding, right?"

Hyoyeon ruefully shook her head. 

"BUT WHY?" The whining was continued by Jiyoung. 

The girls had grown close to Hyoyeon after SooYoung left the class and always stuck with her during breaks. 

"Sorry guys, I just.. don't feel like partying." 

"It's not partying. It's hanging out WITH US!"

"That's what I said!" Minyoung chimed in. "Come on unnie. We probably won't even see each other that much after this!"

"Exactly! Let's go! Ka-ja Ka-ja Ka-ja!" The trio were now chanting in unison causing Hyoyeon to turn pink with embarassment.

"Hey you guys!! Stop! People are looking."

(One person in particular at the front of the room was listening intently but covertly)

"We won't stop until you say yes! ka-ja ka-ja ka-ja..."

 

"Ahem!" Hyukjae stood up from where he was fixing the stereo. "Since this is our last class together, let's start a little early, shall we?"

=========================================================

30 minutes later,

 As a steady hip-hop bass pounded through the speakers, the studio was abuzz with a palpable positive energy - like as if everyone could visualize the finish line. The students, wanting to end on a high note, danced energetically while Hyukjae, just like the first day, walked around the room spending a few minutes with each one - evaluating them, praising their improvement and encouraging them to keep dancing.

In everyone's eyes was a gleam of exhilaration and accomplishment and no one's more so than their proud teacher.

 

'As you should be, Hyukjae' Hyoyeon noted silently while trailing him around the room out of the corner of her eye, 'None of us could have achieved any of this without you.' 

Without you.

 

Without. You.

 

How were her days going to be from tomorrow on -- without him being a part of it?

Hyoyeon's heart clenched painfully at the thought.

 

Before starting class she had almost convinced herself that she would be fine - it was just a passing crush, is all. But now she realized how naive she had been. Her quickening pulse and erratic heartbeat everytime Hyukjae demonstrated a dance move flawlessly, everytime he spoke about dancing with passion, everytime he flicked his hair, everytime he did ANYTHING - said it loud and clear.

 

'He is an , Hyoyeon.' her mind scolded. 'Just a player with a heart of stone. Stop before you get even more hurt.'

'No he isn't,' her heart gently cooed, 'he has been a great friend to you these past months. It's your own fault for seeing and wanting something more than that. It's ok to keep liking him from afar.'

It was the time old human struggle - head or heart? Logic or emotions? And the decision would have been a simple one for the Hyoyeon of the past, the pre-Hyukjae Hyoyeon who kept 'love' at a distance; but she had to admit it - he had changed her. She knew logically she should be angry at him; turned off by him for making her feel fall for him and then abandoning her but as much as she searched within herself to bring up these emotions, she couldn't.

So for tonight - just tonight - she decided to look at him to her heart's content. 

 

=======================================================================

A/N *banging my head on my laptop* this chapter is just... filler? event-less? boring? unnecessary? idon'tevenknow! writing it was excruciating, like getting my tooth extracted but it insisted that it be written. and so it was. words are just mush in my mind right now so don't hold this terrible chapter against me. things will pick up next chapter i promise.