she's the one

If you were mine...

 

 

STOP! Please read chapter 18 first, if you haven't already. It was updated on March 25, 2013

 

19

It was a chaste kiss. A simple touching of the lips but the spark that erupted through their bodies was so electrifying that they both drew back feeling completely breathless.

Hyukjae could sense the beginning of “what the hell have I just done?” regrets setting in but when Hyoyeon stood up on her tiptoes to kiss him, he could do nothing except give in. He was in love with her. He knew this without a doubt now.

The confirmation caused him to want more and the way Hyoyeon’s fingers were threading through his hair tugging him closer signalled the same. With no further hesitation, he walked her backwards until her back lightly hit the wall and then gently prodded her lips with his tongue. She, too, accepted without reserve and soon they were in the throes of a make-out session that was blowing both their minds.

 

A knocking on the door broke their moment.

 

Senses still reeling, they turned towards the new arrival and found the security ahjusshi looking at them sheepishly. “I’m sorry to er.. interrupt Hyukjae but son, I have to lock up now.”

A glance at the wall-clock startled the couple yet again. It was 11:30 already.

Hurriedly fumbling with their belongings, they were out of the room in record time; completely avoiding catching the older man’s knowing gaze.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once out in the cold open air, Hyukjae finally had to face the reality of what they, no he had just done. Hyoyeon was beside him, fumbling with her fingers, cheeks a bright pink. Oh how he wished he could grab her hand and reassure her that he loved her but… things were messy. Really messy. Unable to think of any solution, he finally cleared his throat, “I’ll drop you home now.”

 

 

Unlike some nights ago, the drive back this time was – in one word – silent.

This was because Hyoyeon had feigned being asleep the entire way home. The memory of her bold behaviour was making her entire being burn with embarrassment.  And thus, eyes shut tight and body turned away from Hyukjae, she analyzed the moment as most girls would.

‘Pabo! Pabo pabo pabo! Why did I have to act so forward and initiate the kiss? Oh god, I wish the earth would open up and swallow me right now! But wait a second… he kissed me the first time, didn’t he? Does it even count as a kiss though… he could’ve just done it by accident and I was the one who crazily felt all those things.’ She squirmed in her seat a little as her internal dialogue continued. ‘But he started making-out with me! Well duh, he’s a guy and what guy is going to reject it when a girl so shamelessly offers herself… Fine, so I misread the situation and ruined things, right? Right… No, that’s impossible! He must’ve felt something too. It was too… too… too passionate for everything to just be me alone. I swear the flies on the wall must’ve burned to a crisp from the heat in the room! So… he likes me too? Do you, Lee frickin Hyukjae? Answer me! Come on… I am going crazy!’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boy in question, however, had his eyes strictly trained on the road.

He was afraid that one look from her would unravel him again and he needed to think. How did he fall in love with her exactly? He thought he had been so careful…

… ever since that day.

 

That day three years ago – Donghae’s birthday!

 

--- flashback ---

Hyukjae was standing by the makeshift DJ station swirling the drink in his hand as he watched the party in full force. Donghae was a popular guy, no, the most popular guy in their campus and the friendliest one to boot. Needless to say, the open invite had led to almost their entire university descending upon the party room in their apartment building. Most of the people, Hyukjae had never even seen before.

 

“Annyeong, Hyukjae oppa. Would you like to dance?” a pretty girl with a doll-like aura batted her eyelashes at him. ShinHye? InHye? He had met her at the club with Donghae a few times. ‘If I can’t even remember her name, it doesn’t seem very promising.’

He shook his head politely. “I promised I’d watch the DJ station while the DJ got some food. This equipment is really expensive apparently, so maybe another time?”

The girl bit her lip in disappointment and walked away.

Hyukjae sighed.

 

Unlike Donghae, he wasn’t very fond of having a huge social circle. He had a few close friends – Donghae, Siwon, Junsu, Sungmin and JungSoo – and he’d much rather spend his time hanging out with them. But the boys loved parties – it was where the girls were! Not that Hyukjae had no interest in girls – he did, very much so – just, no girl seemed to hold his attention for long enough to become his girlfriend.

“Yo bro, you gotta have some fun. Pick up some girls, Hyukjae!” Siwon encouraged as he walked by with a girl under each arm. Hyukjae simply nodded in his direction. As he did, he caught Sungmin exchanging numbers with a petite girl oozing with cuteness – exactly his ideal type. He was happy for him. Jungsoo? Oh, their dear group leader was definitely living up to his name, getting a lap-dance from the leader of the cheerleading squad. And that left Junsu and Donghae.

‘That’s ok, then. Three against three.’ He had only consoled himself with that thought when he caught Junsu’s spiked up hair on the dance-floor enjoying the attention of the group of girls that surrounded him, swooning at the way his hips were swinging to the beat. “Show-off!” he muttered.

 

 

“If you are so jealous then you can just go battle him!” someone chuckled from beside him.

Hyukjae smirked, “the great birthday boy is gracing me with his presence and I don’t even have to fight off the throngs of fangirls and fanboys for this honor?”

Donghae threw his head back and laughed, looking more like a 5 year old child than a boy celebrating his 21st birthday. “Don’t be so jealous Hyukkie, you know I’m all yours after the party ends and everyone goes home!”

 

“Omomomomo” squeals and shrieks erupted around them.

“I told you EunHae couple is real!”

“I should be jealous but they are so perfect together!”

“Who do you think tops?”

 

“YAH!” Hyukjae slapped Donghae on the back. “Look what you’ve done! I told you to stop feeding the rumours, aish!”

Donghae quickly ducked any further attacks from his best friend and, clinking their glasses together turned to the girls, “I was just kidding. You know I can’t resist you pretty ladies, so who wants to do shots with oppa?”

Almost everyone followed, except for a couple of faithful Hyukjae fangirls, who lingered back with hopes that Hyukjae would declare the same thing.

 

Hyukjae ran a hand through his hair in frustration. ‘Why am I always so picky? Aish, it’s not like I’m picking a wife. Just a girl for the night or a few more… ok, let’s see’ He scanned the hopefuls who now looked like they were all holding their breaths.

Not one of them caught his eye on the first inspection.

‘That’s fine. Second impression, it is.’

He had almost settled on a wavy-haired freshman from another campus when he saw her walk in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

From that instant on, his eyes were trained on her every move.

 

Everything about her was different from every other girl at the party.

Her hair - a honey blonde that shimmered under the club lights they’d installed for the party – hung in loose waves that you’d just want to run your fingers through. Unlike most of the girls dressed in sparkly second-skin dresses that was the trend, she wore a leather pencil skirt with a white ruffled blouse tucked in. Her make-up was light and natural – a fresh breath of air from the raccoon eyed college girls surrounding him.

Everything about this girl appealed to him and was making him feel something carnal but also genuinely curious. It was most importantly the way that she carried herself around the room. It was obvious she didn’t know many people at the party but she simply smiled and manoeuvred her way through the crowd almost rhythmically, to the beat of the music. 'It was so y and god damn, that tight little body!'

His problem was solved – this was the girl he wanted to get to know better.

And catching some other guys eyeing her with the same thoughts, he realized he had waited long enough. Gulping down the remnants of his drink, he placed the glass on the DJ table and made his way towards her.

 

 

“Oppa! Are you ready to dance now?” Shinhye/InHye? appeared before him again; eyes hopeful as she lightly held onto his arm. Hyukjae tried not to let his annoyance show. “Err… not quite. I just spotted a friend so excuse me, ok?” he extricated himself and made for his girl again.

 

But it was too late.

 

A pair of arms had wrapped around the girl lifting her off the ground.

“Yahhh” she squealed. ‘Even her voice is special,’ Hyukjae thought with a chuckle, until…

“Yah Lee Donghae! Put me down. I’m warning you, Fishie!”

 

Everything halted in that instant.

He realized who the girl was – she was the one and only Kim Hyoyeon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey Hyukjae! Over here!” Donghae was wildly waving an arm while the other was securely around Hyoyeon’s shoulder.

Sighing, Hyukjae walked over.

“Yo buddy, you finally have the honor of meeting my Hyoyeonnie,” Donghae gushed as Hyoyeon lightly shook her head.

“Do you want me to be murdered after this party, Fishie?” but Hyukjae noticed she made no move to remove his arm or move away from Donghae – who had practically glued himself to her side. She looked comfortable.

“Hi!” he said just to stop all this overanalyzing he was doing over her.

She smiled in response – the most dazzling of eyesmiles – “Hello, you must be the famous Hyukjae.”

Hyukjae nodded, studying her from up-close one last time before turning off the attraction he felt towards her.

And that was the day he developed his number 1 rule for dating.

------ flashback end ------

 

In the beginning he avoided Hyoyeon as much as possible and the few times he saw her, he convinced himself to think of her as Donghae’s future wife. Which wasn’t hard since Donghae acted like a lovesick puppy as soon as she was in their vicinity and unloaded his frustration about her dense-ness to Hyukjae almost daily.

Hence, he believed he had successfully gotten rid of any desires for her; yes, tiny little feelings had still lingered but he was always able to control them before they got out of hand.

It was only now that he realized – his control has gradually been slipping these two months – he was just in denial, believing he would still be able to prevent himself from acting on it.

Until now……… and he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to turn it off this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Couldn't hold back from posting. Thanks to those who commented already. I hope you are all caught up on the story because things are going to be moving fast. I've already written up the ending chapters (and am very satisfied with them, if i say so myself #shameless) and I know what is left to be written in between,so do give me your comments/feedback if you have a few seconds to spare. It's not motivating to update when you feel like there's no one reading. /slaps myself for complaining/ because my readers have always been good at commenting :) So i promise to reward you with romance, twists and angst that will (i hope) wring your hearts. thank you for bearing with this meandering A/N