let go..

If you were mine...

 

“YAH! I TOLD YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO LEAN BACK AND STRETCH YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT! WHY ARE YOU LYING LIKE A CROOKED CORPSE?” Hyukjae’s yelling voice reverberated through the entire practice room and in the silence of the dark and deserted dance school building, it seemed to echo that much louder – causing Hyoyeon’s heart to quiver. She bit her lip trying not to cry at being scolded by the boy and instead, mustered up as much anger as possible in throwing him a glowering look.

“I QUIT! I DON’T WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE!” she yelled back and turned away from him swiftly. Behind her, she could hear Hyukjae sigh audibly and she didn’t need to look to know that he was mussing up his hair in frustration. It was one of his special habits. Not that she paid much attention or cared greatly, of course. Right now, he was just a bossy and mean Mr. Know it All and she had no intention of helping him anymore.

 

They had been practising together for the past two weeks – now, going on the third. And while the first two had been smooth sailing, this week had seen them clashing a lot. In Hyoyeon’s eyes, Hyukjae was short tempered and too demanding while Hyukjae found Hyoyeon to be frustrating and holding back from her full potential.

To him, this was no longer about choreographing a routine for a competition. No, the past two weeks had revealed to him what an extraordinary talent Hyoyeon had for dancing and he wanted to help her reach her full ability. He was confident that she could even make a successful career out of it.

She was the only person standing in her own way.

 

“Wait!” His hand wrapped around her delicate wrist.

Hyoyeon didn’t turn around but her movement stalled.

“I.. I’m sorry .. for yelling at you!”

“Okay.” she responded shortly and moved to walk away again, only to feel his grasp on her tighten.

“But I’m not sorry for trying to get you to be the best you can, Hyoyeon.” He took a few steps forward, coming to a stop directly behind her, “Why are you holding back? You know you can do it.”

“I.. I.. get dizzy.” Even to Hyoyeon, it sounded like a lame excuse; but it was better than admitting the truth.

 

 

Hyukjae scoffed. “I may not have known you your whole life like Donghae, but I think I know you enough to tell when you’re lying, Hyoyeon.”

Her name coming from his lips today seemed to be having a strange effect on her. She was used to Hyukjae calling her 'Hyo' lately; but ‘Hyoyeon’.. said in that serious tone… oh! It sent shivers down her spine.

 

“So…?” She looked up in shock to find that he was now directly in front of her, his probing eyes looking very determined to get an answer from her.


“It’s really stupid.”

“That’s ok. I know you’re a pabo girl already.”

“Mwoh?”

“Just kidding. Tell me already!”

 

“I… I get scared. Scared that you are going to drop me on my head.”

“Eh?”

“When we’re doing the lifts… I’m scared that you are going to let go so I tense up. My stepdad once threw me in the air when I was a little kid but he was drunk so he didn’t catch me and I crashed to the floor. I had to get 7 stitches.” She lifted her hair slightly, “See!”

 

Hyukjae’s eyes were filled with guilt as he tenderly traced his fingertips over the scar. “I had no idea… I’m sorry Hyoyeon.”

“Exactly!” Hyoyeon gave him a little smile, “You didn’t know so don’t feel bad, Hyukjae. Please!”

 

He was silent for a bit before cracking a little smile of his own.

“Okay. Let’s start a little differently then.” Taking her hand (that he had yet to let go of) he led them both to the center of the room. “You can trust me, Hyo! I’ll never let you fall.” He walked around to stand behind her this time, “Come on. Close your eyes and let yourself fall back.”

“What? Are you crazy?”

“I told you I’ll catch you!”

 

“This isn’t some silly phobia Hyukjae. I’ve had it for almost 15 years now!”

“All the more reason to help you get over it. Be brave for me and try just once, please Hyo?”

 

“I…” she bit her lip hesitantly. He was right.. it was a silly phobia.. and she did trust him. He’d already saved her once. “Ok! You better catch me!”

“I will.”

 

Hyoyeon took in deep lung fulls of air, ‘You’re falling into a meadow of sunflowers, You’re falling into a meadow of sunflowers’ and leaned back, eyes tightly shut.

“That’s it! Keep going..” Hyukjae’s encouraging voice reached her ears. But right as she began to tip back on her heels, Hyoyeon jerked to a stop and opened her eyes.

 

 

“Sorry..” her mortified mumble was barely audible. Hyukjae had probably never encountered a girl with as stupid a phobia as hers. And she felt sorry for the guy trying to help her overcome it, just because he felt guilty for yelling at her. “I’m a hopeless cause, I’m afraid,” she smiled slightly and patted his arm, “but don’t feel bad about earlier. Just talking about it with someone else has made me feel bet –”

 

“Close your eyes.” Hyukjae interrupted her.

“Hyuk, I told you it won’t work.”

“Just do as I say Kim Hyoyeon.” His voice was stern. Hyoyeon gave him one last searching look before doing as instructed.

She felt his hands coming to a rest upon her arms from behind. They then held on to her – gentle but firm - and slowly Hyukjae started to tip her backward.

 

Hyoyeon could feel her breathing get shorter and raspier as her heart raced in panic but she tried to focus on the hands that were guiding her.

She was tipping back fully on her heels now, body straight as a board and if Hyukjae was to let go at any second, she would no doubt go crashing to the floor ….

But it never happened.

==========================================================================

She felt herself being lowered until she was almost level with the floor.

 

It was a weird feeling .. like everything was happening in slow motion and she was sinking backwards into a deep blue ocean. But it was also oddly calming.

 

 

Only when Hyukjae’s cheerful voice spoke did her eyes flutter open to reality.

“See it wasn’t so bad now, was it?”  

 

She grinned sheepishly, cheeks turning a delightful pink, and managed to nod in agreement.

 

But Hyukjae was not ready to stop the progress right there.

“Let’s try it again but this time you fall back on your own accord.”

 

He was happy to see a faint determined gleam in her eyes whereas the first time he mentioned it, they had just been dark with fear.

“I promise I will catch you, Hyoyeon.”

 

And she nodded again, chewing on her lower lip with resolution.

She knew he would.

================================================================

Without any time for second thoughts, she simply closed her eyes and let go.

The bundle of nerves in her tummy grew tight and knotted as she let herself be completely vulnerable but just as promised, Hyukjae was there to catch her.

 

Opening her eyes, she smiled and so did he.

 

A second later, Hyoyeon’s eyes were practically twinkling with excitement. “Your turn!”

Hyukjae’s eyebrows shot up in question.

Hyoyeon hurriedly stood behind him – “You do it! Fall and I’ll catch you.”

 

“Are you sure you’re going to be able to handle me?” he chuckled.

“Pssh, an anchovy like you? Of course!” came the teasing reply and the boy instantly spun around with a smirk.

“Excuse me babe, I may be slim but it's all muscle!” To prove his point, Hyukjae lifted up his t-shirt revealing his chocolate abs.

 

Hyoyeon's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. It was like staring at the front cover of a Men's Health Magazine .. except this torso was human sized and very much real. Her brain stupidly began counting his stomach muscles and yes, ladies and gentlemen, Lee Hyukjae was the owner of a very ribbed six-pack!

And to say Hyoyeon was embarrassed about what she was witnessing would be an understatement. She had never – NEVER! seen a guy’s bare upper body – and such a y one at that! 'Oh god! I've stared too long haven't I! Kim Hyoyeon, you dumb idiotic moronic, dumbo.'

 

Fixing her eyes on the wall behind her, she only managed to stutter, “Y..yah P..put that away!”

===============================================================================

Hyukjae clocked her beet-red face with satisfaction and took his stance. “Here I come!”

Hyoyeon stood behind him - ready with palms outstreched.

 

 

And a moment later, Hyukjae was hoisting Hyukjae up successfully and everything was okay.

She smirked.

 

Unfortunately, the satisfacton was shortlived because the much shorter girl collapsed under his weight in seconds, sending them both toppling on the ground.

 

 

“I told you, you wouldn’t be able to handle my hunky body!” he voiced chirpily.

“Mmmphh.. ok. You win!” Hyoyeon’s voice was muffled by the body lying on top of her, “Now get off!”

 

Obediently, Hyukjae rolled away in one fluid move, coming to lie down on the floor and facing the ceiling just like her.

 

 

Hyoyeon peeked at him out of the corner of eye and, after a mini debate - it was now or never -

 

murmured a soft, “Thanks.”

 

Hyukjae turned his head to look at her, all smiles and crinkled eyes – it was as if he could visibly see that the weight had been lifted off her shoulders – and he was glad to be the one to do it.

His hand carelessly rose towards her glowing face. Gently tucking back the tendril of hair that was shielding her face – he murmured, equally low, “My pleasure.”

 

But his hand didn’t drop back.

Instead, his thumb slowly began caressing her now – pink and burning - cheeks. 

=====================================================================

I have a crazy writer's block so updates have been sparse. But I am determined to get over it. I might focus on finishing this story first even though it has the least readership interest lol. mostly because it's 75% written. I'm hoping concentrating my energy in one place will help me overcome the block so please support this story. Development has been slow and too many dialogues. But things will change starting next chapter so stay tuned! and thanks again for staying on as subscribers