Flirt

Straight as a ruler

It would have been silly for Yixing to feel that just over a week and half after meeting Joonmyun, he was now completely over him. In his defence though, it really did feel like he was beginning to get over the guy. For starters, he wasn’t so sad whenever he thought of the slim hope he had whenever he thought that Joonmyun was going to start liking him and get with him. Secondly- much to Kyungsoo’s relief- he didn’t whine that much or talk much about Joonmyun anymore, and instead was back to his usual self. He could be forgiven for thinking that he was slowly getting over the guy.

Then of course Joonmyun just had to walk into the place one lunchtime, throwing Yixing completely. Kyungsoo tried to finish serving his current customer as quickly as he could, but they just kept adding more and more to their order. Offering Yixing an apologetic smile, Kyungsoo can only watch as Yixing braces himself, and Joonmyun smiles at him before walking over.

“Hey!” he says happily “Long-time no see!”

“I-I could say the same to you stranger!” Yixing replies, blushing at the sound of his own voice and the effect that Joonmyun has on him, just by a simple smile and greeting! “What will it be today?”

Kyungsoo had to give Yixing some credit; though he definitely looked uncomfortable, and silently pleaded to Kyungsoo for help whilst Joonmyun teetered between two different orders, he maintained composure and willed himself to get through this without having Joonmyun become suspicious, smiling when the latter looked ready to order.

“You look tired” Yixing points out after Joonmyun yawns loudly, and judging by the state he was in, tired didn’t seem to be such a good word to describe him after all. Yixing could see the bags under his eyes, what he didn’t know was that they were becoming more and more prominent by the day, with every hour of sleep Joonmyun couldn’t seem to get.

“Exhausted” Joonmyun admits, stifling another yawn, “The company has really been pushing us lately. They want to make sure we hit our targets- and more- to ensure we’re the best company in terms of sales by the end of the year”

“Yikes. Who do you work for if they’re making you work like that?” Yixing asks, Joonmyun smiling shyly at him and he swears he can feel his heart miss a beat.

“I work for Samsung. I’m on their marketing team; we’re the ones responsible for getting the latest models out and marketing them across the world for people to buy”

If Yixing looks surprised, it certainly shows on his face. When Joonmyun finishes explaining, he laughs at Yixing’s stunned silence, which in turn just makes Yixing blush even more. Who could blame him though? There Joonmyun was working for one of the biggest and most powerful companies in the world, and Yixing was there serving him cakes! Not that he hated his job- in fact he loved it, and made a point to remind Kyungsoo daily- but when it came to comparing their jobs, in societies view, Joonmyun had the much better job.

“Ah, I figured you worked for some big company” he states, working to compose himself

“Oh really?” Joonmyun asks, cocking an eyebrow up

“Of course! All I had to do was look at the suit you’re wearing. Definitely the suit a businessman working for Samsung would wear” Yixing explains, “It’s a nice suit by the way”

The compliment catches Joonmyun by surprise, eyes widening slightly as he looks down and studies it himself, “You really think so?”

“Oh yeah, it suits you really well” Yixing replies, and could swear he saw the faintest blush on Joonmyun’s cheeks. That, or it was just his mind playing tricks on him just to some more.

“Th-thanks, I guess” he stutters before clearing his throat, pointing to Yixing’s shirt “Nice shirt”

“It’s not my best shirt” Yixing states, tugging at it “All my other shirts are in the wash, so this is really a last resort”

“I like it. Black suits you”

No. This was not supposed to be how this conversation went! Yixing was just supposed to serve Joonmyun like any other customer and then send him on his way. Not have it turn into a mini conversation where Joonmyun’s compliment had him nearly dropping the knife in his hand onto his foot! Why was Joonmyun doing this to him? Why couldn’t have been a complete dickhead Yixing met at that bar instead?

“Thank you” he squeaks and quickly turns around so that Joonmyun can’t see the blush on his face. He’s pretty sure he can hear Kyungsoo trying to hold in a laugh beside him, but Yixing doesn’t want to look. If he wants to keep whatever dignity he had left intact, he had to save himself quickly.

“Will you be staying in or taking away?” he asks, hearing Joonmyun sigh sadly behind him

“As much as I would love to stay in, I can’t” he replies, “I’m lucky enough to be getting a lunch break long enough to actually leave and get some decent food”

Despite telling himself not to, Yixing can’t help but pout at that comment. So even though Joonmyun was working for Samsung, by the sounds of it they were real jerks when it came to employee satisfaction.

“And here’s me thinking I could have some enjoyable company by my side until my lunch break” he jokes, sighing dramatically

“Well, I’m sure Kyungsoo would be good enough company” Joonmyun points out

“True, but who could be more interesting than a guy who works for Samsung?” Yixing asks and Joonmyun smiles shyly. It really was unfair that Joonmyun had such a gorgeous smile like that and it was playing with Yixing’s heart like so. Really, what did he do to deserve this?

“Tempting, really it is, but if I want to keep my job that pays as well as this, I’m afraid I’m going to have to leave you for today” he says and, almost reluctantly, Yixing gives him his order and waves goodbye as he turns around and finally leaves.

Kyungsoo hangs bac for a moment, giving Yixing time to lean against the counter and groan to himself before he walks over “Thank you” he mocks, dodging a hit from his friend “You did really well Yixing”

Yixing whips his head around and glares at him, finally slapping him on the arm, “Alright, I don’t need you patronising me” he whines, Kyungsoo laughing at his embarrassment as he huffs and turns away, busying himself to get away from the teasing.

“I must say though, I never knew you could flirt like that” he points out, making Yixing turn back to him with a frown, confusion etched onto his face.

“I… I wasn’t flirting with him though” he replies, still as confused as he had been before

“Sure, that’s what they all say”

“But I wasn’t! What are you talking about?”

So, caught up in laughing and teasing Yixing, Kyungsoo didn’t see the next customer arrive until they were right at the counter, making Kyungsoo jump when he turned to face them.

“Hello!” they greet happily and Kyungsoo instantly knows who it is; the tanned guy who had been coming by almost every day whenever he had the chance to

“H-hi” Kyungsoo stutters back, Yixing hearing the exchange and knowing that he couldn’t let this go without exacting some form of revenge on his friend

“H-hi” he mocks, running away and laughing before Kyungsoo can hit him. Instead, all his friend does is glare at him and turn back to the customer with a nervous laugh, beginning to properly serve them. Oh, Yixing was dead when Kyungsoo got a hold of him later on.

 

 

Out of the shop and on his way back to work, Joonmyun doesn’t know what’s done it, but his heart is beating a lot faster than it normally would. It’s not as though he’s done any strenuous exercise or anything else that could have made it beat like that, the only thing he had done was talk to Yixing when he was getting some food.

Thinking back to the conversation, just being able to talk to him again, Joonmyun’s heart was beating quicker again. Panic rose in him and shook the thought out of his head immediately, ignoring the glances that people passing by shot him.

“Get that thought out of your head right now Kim Joonmyun” he mutters to himself, it was nothing more than friendly banter whilst Joonmyun ordered his lunch, nothing other than that. With that firmly planted in his head, Joonmyun marches back into his office without another thought about his erratic heart. There wasn’t anything wrong with it and nobody contributing to it. It was completely natural.


Forget the previous chapter note, you get two chapters in one day!! 

It also lets me expand on the previous note about the rewrite! I wasn't happy with the whole step one, step two chapters. Deleted them, rewrote, and hopefully allowed for the Sulay expansion I wanted and you guys have been looking forward to! There's also chapter layouts for Kaisoo and Chenhun which will also hopefully help with how the story runs. You'll see what I mean when I get there. 

Until then!!