Or forever hold your peace

Straight as a ruler

The night before the wedding, Joonmyun can’t sleep. He tosses and turns in his bed until it’s the early hours of the morning and he just stares at the ceiling instead. He was not going to marry Soojung. He was not going to let his parents dictate his life anymore. He had to stop the wedding, but protesting was going to do nothing. He could hope that Soojung would ditch him again like she had the last time, but that was a lost cause.

Light slowly begins to seep through his curtains and Joonmyun closes his eyes, takes a deep breath in, and tries to get some sleep. In a couple of hours, he would be getting ready for his wedding. He wasn’t going to get married. He had to time it perfectly, however. Make sure that it caused the greatest upset he could manage. If Joonmyun was going to stop this wedding, he had to wait for the right moment, for everyone to see what was happening.

 

 

“There’s still a chance to stop this” Jongdae whispers as he, Joonmyun, and Joonmyun’s brother walk down the aisle towards the Reverend.

Unlike the last time, their parents have rented out a much smaller wedding hall this time. There were less guests, and less of a chance of being embarrassed. It also meant for a quicker ceremony, and a better chance of Joonmyun and Soojung being married this time.

“I know” Joonmyun whispers back and smiles at Jongdae as he takes his place, waiting for Soojung to arrive. Unlike the last time, she shows up, and Joonmyun turns to watch her as the guests stands up from their seats.

The first time they were supposed to get married, Joonmyun was willing to accept his fate and was willing to work for this marriage that neither of them wanted. Now, he couldn’t imagine a future with Soojung. All he could think of was Yixing; going to China to meet his parents, all the silly dates they could go on, being comfortable enough to introduce him as his boyfriend, maybe as something else later on.

Joonmyun’s future only had Yixing in it. He didn’t like Yixing, he loved him. It was too soon to be feeling such emotions for a guy he hadn’t dated for long, but it was the only emotion he felt whenever Joonmyun thought of him. He was just angry that it took him so long to figure it out.

Stood next to him, Soojung just stares straight ahead, ignoring Joonmyun. Joonmyun can see the tears pooling in her eyes, and how hard she is trying to not let them show. Joonmyun won’t let her cry. He’s going to put this right. He just has to wait for the right moment.

“If any of you has any reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Both of them were victims in their parent’s cruel games. Joonmyun was going to stop it. He was going to show that he was no longer afraid of them.

“Stop!”

Murmurs begin to fill the hall as Joonmyun turns toward Soojung. She’s staring back at him in shock and uncertainty, unsure of what he was doing.

“You don’t want to marry me, I don’t want to marry you. We’re never going to love each other and we’re just pawns in our parent’s stupid games. Let’s not get married.”

Soojung still looks doubtful, still unsure if Joonmyun was being serious. Sighing, Joonmyun takes her hand and gives it a squeeze, his voice gentler this time. “It’s okay, you can go”.

At the back of the hall, a man stands up, staring at Soojung as she stares back at him before turning back to Joonmyun.

“R-really?” she asks, dropping her bouquet.

“Yes. Go” Joonmyun replies, and Soojung throws her arms around him before lifting up her dress and running down the aisle. Her boyfriend meets her by the entrance and they run out together, ignoring her parents shouting after her.

With that taken care of, Joonmyun had somewhere he needed to be, practically running towards the entrance to the place.  

“Joonmyun! Come back here this instant!”

Joonmyun turns towards his parents, revelling in the shock and confusion on their faces. “You can’t tell me what to do anymore. I’m not yours to control.”

Ignoring their shouts, Joonmyun runs out of the hall, feeling instant freedom when the fresh air hits him. Now he just needed to find a way to get to-  

“Joonmyun!”

Joonmyun turns just in time to see his brother chuck his car keys towards him. Thanking him, Joonmyun grabs them and runs towards the car. There wasn’t a moment to waste.

 

 

The café is quieter today. Kyungsoo’s out back working on some cakes, Sehun’s going around and cleaning some of the tables, and Yixing is at the counter, silently putting dishes away. Baekhyun had come to visit, to try and cheer him up, but all of them knew it was impossible. They all knew what day it was, and how no matter how hard they tried, they weren’t going to be able to make him happy.

Yixing stares at the clock on the wall, wondering if by now the ceremony would be over. He couldn’t stay in Seoul much longer. Maybe he could ask Kyungsoo to let him go back to China earlier than he had planned.

The door to the café opens and if Yixing was paying attention, he would have heard Baekhyun gasp. If he was paying attention, he would have also seen Sehun freeze, looking equally as shocked as well.

“I’ll be with you in a second” he says tiredly, putting the last of the dishes away.

“It’s okay. I can wait.”

Yixing freezes, almost dropping the plate in his hands. Now shaking, he carefully puts the plate away and turns towards the voice, to see Joonmyun stood there waiting for him.


"Did you seriously use one of the cheesiest clichés out for this chapter?" Why yes. Yes I did. For a while, it was gonna be Yixing crashing the wedding and pulling a Shrek where he shouts "I OBJECT!" and they confess their love to each other. But that was pushing it a bit. 

Also, like the way I named these last two chapters? I thought it was clever. 

Finally, the next chapter will be the last chapter. I just think that it'll be a good place to finish it off (don't worry, I'll make it super cheesy). The annoying thing however, is that you'll have to probably wait a week for that chapter, because I'm going away tomorrow. I know, I didn't want it either. But that's life I guess. 

Until then!!