Calm

Straight as a ruler

Yixing can’t think straight. He just keeps walking, keeps his gaze glued to the floor so that if he does start crying, nobody will be able to see his tears. He’s finally able to stop and focus his mind, taking a shaky breath in as he stands in front of Kyungsoo’s apartment. He doesn’t have to be here. Kyungsoo doesn’t have to share his despair. But then, who else does he have to turn to?

“Coming!” Kyungsoo calls happily from the other side of the door, his smile faltering when he sees the state Yixing is in. “Yixing… what happened?”

That’s all Yixing needs to hear before his resolve crumbles and he finally breaks down in tears.

 

 

two hours earlier

For the first time in the week and a half since Yixing had returned from China, he and Joonmyun finally had some real time off of work to enjoy a relaxed evening to themselves. Yixing had originally planned to do that the day he got back and landed in Korea, but numerous flight delays and a threat of the flight being cancelled meant that by the time he actually did land at Incheon airport, it was way too late and he was way too tired.

The day after he got back, Yixing had tried to organise something with Joonmyun. On that night though, it was Joonmyun’s brother’s birthday and he couldn’t exactly ditch him. The next night they were supposed to meet up, Yixing ended up going to the emergency room with Tao. A visit earlier in the day resulting in Tao walking straight into a door he was supposed to push instead of pull and ended up breaking his nose. Yixing didn’t know what was worse- the blood, or the incessant whining and crying coming from Tao.

“This is the worst thing that could happen to me! None of my outfits go with a bruised and bloodied nose!”

“You’ve just broken your nose and you’re worried about outfit choices?!”

On and on it went for the rest of the week with one or the other finding some problem which meant they couldn’t meet. After cancelling on each other for the fourth time, they both agreed that today would be the day. Unless one of their friends or family members were dying, they were not about to cancel on each other.

“I could cook for you this evening! My mum gave me a couple of recipes to try out before I came back!”

Joonmyun frowns at Yixing, stopping just as he was about to reach for a packet of noodles. “Yeah… no offense Yixing, but you’re not exactly the best cook out there. Before I helped you out you only knew three meals off by heart.”

Yixing huffs and jabs Joonmyun in the side, ignoring the light yelp from his boyfriend. “I’ll have you know my cooking has improved greatly!” he exclaims, “Plus I’ll have you to help me out. It’s not like I’m gonna burn your kitchen down.”

Joonmyun concedes and Yixing settles on Kung Pao Chicken and knowing that this recipe was his grandmother’s version, Joonmyun was in for a definite treat tonight. Walking around the supermarket checking his list of ingredients whilst Joonmyun trailed behind him with the shopping cart, taking whatever Yixing handed to him, the scene looked domestic to anybody who saw them walking past. Even Yixing could sense how domestic this looked, and he loved every second of it. It was nice to do this when Joonmyun was now his boyfriend instead of the previous time they had been in the place together.

“Is all this junk food really appropriate?” Joonmyun asks as Yixing dumps two bags of popcorn into the cart.

“Any amount of junk food is an appropriate amount of junk food” Yixing counters and Joonmyun says nothing more, letting him have his way.

 

 

Joonmyun’s in the living room checking to see if any messages had been left for him whilst Yixing unpacks the shopping in the kitchen. Looking in on the scene, it doesn’t feel like Yixing is only staying for the night, it’s like he’s been living with Joonmyun the whole time. Joonmyun really likes this thought. Joonmyun really likes Yixing.

Yixing’s laughter snaps Joonmyun out of thoughts. It’s so loud that Joonmyun walks into the kitchen frowning, wondering what the heck was going on.

“We forgot the most vital part of Kung Pao Chicken!” Yixing laughs, pointing to the lack of chicken present on the counter, making Joonmyun laugh.

“It’s because we got distracted by all the junk food” he jokes, pulling his car key out of his jacket pocket. “If you stay here and get everything unpacked and ready, I’ll run back and grab some.”

Yixing has everything unpacked and set up in record time, lounging around in the living room until Joonmyun got back. When someone knocks on the door, Yixing frowns, wondering who it could be at this time. When he opens the door, the woman on the other side is just as surprised to see him as Yixing is to see her.

“Can I help?” Yixing asks, nerves beginning to form in the pit of his stomach.

“U-uh… I’m looking for Joonmyun?”

The nerves being to grow stronger and Yixing knows who this woman is, he just doesn’t want to make his fears a reality. “He’s not here right now. I can tell him you came by though… uh”

Before the woman can tell him her name, both of them hear a loud gasp. When the woman turns around, Yixing sees Joonmyun with a look of shock and horror mixed together, eyes darting from her to Yixing and then back.

“S-Soojung?”