Happy

Straight as a ruler

Even at the wedding reception two days later, Yixing’s still moping. He couldn’t see why he had to spend three days back home when he could have just flown out before the wedding, and then flown back the next morning. He knew better than anyone else however that whatever his mum said, goes. At least Joonmyun was nice enough to drop him off at the airport and they got to spend a bit more time together.

Finally being able to pull himself away from a couple of family friends, Yixing takes the first glass of champagne he’s offered, reminding himself to not down it on go. Yixing’s watches the people at the venue. Some approaching the newlyweds, others conversing with his parents, and the rest in their own little groups spread throughout. Looking at them all, the only ones who knew Yixing was gay were his parents. Not even his grandmother- who Yixing would consider his best friend- knew. Yixing wanted it that way. When he was ready, he would tell everybody.

Maybe he could tell his family he was gay and introduce Joonmyun to them as well. Kill two birds with one stone. From previous conversations, it wasn’t like his family weren’t totally against the idea of homouals, so what was there to be nervous about? If he brought Joonmyun with him, he could show him where Yixing grew up. The school he went to, all the places he would go out to eat with friends after school, even the place where he got the faint scar on his knee! Yixing wanted to show Joonmyun all of these places. It would be nice to introduce him to Yixing’s home country.

A tap on his shoulder has Yixing turning around, shocked by who he saw smiling widely at him.

“Luhan?”

“I knew it was you!” the guy exclaims, pulling Yixing into a tight hug that he quickly reciprocates.

“What… what are you doing here?” Yixing asks, still in shock that his old friend was actually there in front of him.

“The bride is my cousin!” Luhan replies excitedly, “It’s so good to see you again Xing!”

Luhan was the reason Yixing figured out he was gay. All throughout school and into adulthood, Yixing had a huge crush on the guy. He was too afraid to ever tell him though; he never knew if Luhan was gay, or whether he would react angrily and Yixing would have destroyed their friendship.

Before going to university however, Yixing had finally mustered up the courage to tell him. It was too late however, as the day Yixing was going to confess, Luhan was introducing him to his new boyfriend. Yixing was left heartbroken, and in some way, Luhan was part of the reason why Yixing decided to move to Korea.

“How are you? Are you and Yifan still together?” Yixing asks, the question making Luhan smile shyly.

“We’re moving into our new apartment next week” he replies before frowning, “I’m forcing him to take time off work to help me. He couldn’t be here tonight because he agreed to work overtime. He’s overworking himself too much! I wish he’d take a break before he hurts himself!”

Yixing listens to Luhan ramble on about Yifan with a smile on his face. Years before, he would have listened and felt like crying each time. Now he was happy for his friend. Happy that the two of them had managed to last for so long.

“No signs of getting married yet?” he asks

“I’ve told Yifan that I would like to get married… but I don’t know what goes through his mind sometimes” Luhan sighs, “Enough about me though. You’ve lived in Seoul long enough, you’ve surely met somebody.”

Yixing pauses and looks at Luhan nervously. He would be the first person besides his parents who knew he was gay.

“Th-there’s somebody” he admits, Luhan’s smile widening at the admission.

“Come on then, what her name?”

“He” Yixing corrects, watching Luhan’s smile turn from excited to warm, “His name is Joonmyun.”

Luhan spends the next five minutes getting Yixing to show him every picture he had of Joonmyun. That wasn’t difficult, especially because Yixing had made Joonmyun get in a load of picture with him on their first date. His favourite was a picture of the two of them underneath a particularly beautiful Christmas light, and Yixing had quickly made it his phone’s wallpaper.

“You’ll have to bring him over and introduce him to us. I want to meet the guy who’s stolen your heart” Luhan says, before gasping and lightly shaking Yixing by the shoulders, “Think of all the double dates we’ll get to go on!”

Yixing laughs and Luhan then spends another five minutes showing Yixing all of the most recent photos of him and Yifan, including some with their pets that they had recently adopted.

“You look so happy with Joonmyun” Luhan says, “It’s nice to see you so happy like this.”

When he’s back in his room later that night, Yixing will think back over Luhan’s words and realise he’s right. He is happy. It’s probably the happiest he’s ever been.

 

 

“The food was amazing! My mum kept giving me so much I thought my stomach was gonna explode!”

Joonmyun laughs from the other line and Yixing smiles. Finally in his bedroom, he’s curled up under his duvet. His laptop quietly plays some music in the background whilst he speaks to Joonmyun who stayed up later to talk to him from Seoul.

“I would say I’m almost jealous, however my brother offered to take me out to eat this evening. I couldn’t possibly say no” Joonmyun says and Yixing laughs at his comment. This time tomorrow night he would be back in Seoul. He could go straight from the airport to Joonmyun’s apartment. If he stopped off somewhere on the way, he could buy some stuff and cook for Joonmyun as well.

“Yixing? You there?” Joonmyun asks, snapping Yixing out of his thoughts.

“Yeah, sorry… just thinking about how excited I am that I get to see you again tomorrow” Yixing replies, even cringing himself over how cheesy that just sounded.

“You’ve only been gone for three days. It’s not like you’ve been abroad for, like, five years or something.”

“I’m trying to be a romantic boyfriend who is showing a lot of affection” Yixing whines, “Let me have this moment!”

“Baby” Joonmyun mutters before laughing and Yixing laughs with him. Now he really wanted to be back in Seoul. He couldn’t wait to see Joonmyun tomorrow. Like he said, he wasn’t going anywhere.


After name dropping and adding the other EXO members into this somehow, I would have been left really unsatisfied if I didn't add Luhan and Kris in this. This is purely for my own selfish pleasure. I am not sorry. Imagine it though, all the little double dates they could go on now because they're dating... 

Until the next chapter!