Bonus Chapter #5- Man Up

Straight as a ruler

After the incident involving Jongin’s dogs, Kyungsoo ignored every call Jongin made and every message he sent him. He wasn’t angry at Jongin, he was more or less embarrassed at himself. Why did he have to be the one who was allergic to dogs? Why could he have been allergic to something like nuts? Or seafood? When the constant messages and calls didn’t work, Jongin started turning up to the café more, hoping to get a couple of minutes to talk to Kyungsoo. That didn’t happen however, every time he entered the café, Kyungsoo would make sure he was either serving somebody else or he just ran out back and left Yixing or Sehun to cover for him.

“This isn’t fair on him Kyungsoo” Yixing had scolded one evening, “He obviously wants to talk to you, just man up and speak to him already”

Kyungsoo went home and cried that night. Never before has he been so hung up over a guy, so what made Jongin so different? Kyungsoo could answer that question easily; it was how passionate Jongin was about his job, how he would talk so little of himself but would happily listen to Kyungsoo ramble on for hours, and how despite the fact that Kyungsoo kept avoiding him, he still kept coming back to try and talk to him.

Yixing was right, Kyungsoo needed to man up.

Eventually, Jongin stopped coming back. He even stopped calling and messaging Kyungsoo. For a couple of days, Kyungsoo thought that maybe this was just Jongin giving him a chance to recover from his constant visits and then he would come again. After a week of not coming back, Kyungsoo began to have his doubts. After two weeks of not coming back, Kyungsoo finally began to panic.

“You only have yourself to blame really” Sehun had said when he overheard Kyungsoo venting his worries to Yixing. “He kept coming back and you ignored him. If you’re that worried, man up and go see him already”

So Kyungsoo did go see Jongin. Well. He tried to go see him. He even ended up in front of the practice Jongin worked in, but chickened out before he could enter. When that failed, he tried calling him, hovering over the call button before he again chickened out and chucked his phone on his bed in frustration.

“Why are you so caught up about this? It’s nothing too major, just a small incident” Yixing asks one morning, he, Kyungsoo, and Sehun setting up the café ready for opening

“It might not be a huge deal for you but it is for me” Kyungsoo replies, “I just feel… so embarrassed that this happened. He invited me back to his place and then I couldn’t even stay because of his dogs!”

“That’s doesn’t mean you ignore him every time he comes to talk to you!” Yixing exclaims, but Kyungsoo only whines, raking his hand through his hair.

“You don’t understand! I’m terrified of talking to him! It sounds stupid, but there’s a part of me that keeps trying to convince me that no matter what happens, he won’t listen to me and will pick his dogs over me without giving us a chance!”

There’s only so much whining that Sehun could take in a day. They don’t even get through lunch before he’s dragging Kyungsoo out back to the staff computer, shoving him down into the seat.

“I’m just about ready to snap with you and your whining” he says, “Here’s some advice on how to deal with dogs when you’re allergic. Read it and please just man up and go talk to Jongin before I drag you there myself!”

He leaves Kyungsoo with another threat of reluctantly dragging him over to Jongin and Kyungsoo sits with the computer and with his own thoughts. When he first reads the advice on the various webpages Sehun’s opened for him, he’s still as pessimistic as Sehun left him. Then he reads more, and slowly begins to realise that being allergic to dogs didn’t mean the end of the world at all. By the time he’s finished reading, he realises just how much of an idiot and a baby he’s been, grabbing his jacket and running out to the front.

“I’ve gotta go do something don’t wait up for me I’ll see you later!” he shouts over to Yixing and Sehun as he runs out the door, loudly apologising to an elderly couple he nearly ran into

“Oooo…kay?” Yixing says, frowning and turning to Sehun who looks just as equally confused.

Sehun was right, Kyungsoo needed to man up.

 

 

“Thank you again, thank you so much!”

Jongin laughs and shakes his latest pet owner’s hand for the fourth time since telling the family their dog was going to survive after a particularly nasty accident. Saying goodbye for the final time, Jongin manages to finally shut the door to the vets, sighing and smiling tiredly at the receptionist.

“There someone waiting in your office” she tells him

“Is my next appointment early?” Jongin asks with a frown, the receptionist shaking her head

“They just told me they really needed to talk to you”

Kyungsoo stills when the door to the office opens, slowly turning in his seat and finding an equally shocked Jongin staring back at him. Neither say anything as Jongin shuts the door and walks over to his desk, sitting across from him. He studies Kyungsoo for a moment, who himself keeps his gaze to the floor, before sighing.

“What are you doing here?” he asks, Kyungsoo slowly looking up to properly look him in the eyes before he clears his throat

“I-I’ve… I’ve been quite selfish recently” he says quietly, so quietly that Jongin has to lean forward to hear him, “I just… I felt so embarrassed and so bad that you had to shut your dogs away because of me and I panicked. I just thought that you didn’t want to speak to me again because the whole thing was just too much of an inconvenience. Then Yixing and Sehun had enough of me moping about and told me to man up… so now I’m here.”

Jongin sits silently and listens to his explanation. Whilst he looked rightfully angry at Kyungsoo to begin with, his expression softens as he hears Kyungsoo out. “Did you really think I thought of you as an inconvenience?”

Kyungsoo nods silently and again Jongin sighs, running a hand through his hair and laughing slightly in disbelief. “Soo, if I really thought of you as an inconvenience I wouldn’t have kept coming to the café to try and talk to you. Sure, I got pissed when you kept ignoring me, but I wanted you to talk to me. There are plenty of ways you can be around my dogs, trust me, I am the qualified vet here”

“Yeah well, the human mind does a pretty good of making people think otherwise” Kyungsoo mutters, keeping his gaze to the floor, hearing Jongin shuffling around and kneeling down beside him.

“Hey” he says, softly tapping Kyungsoo’s shoulder. When Kyungsoo faces him again, Jongin wraps a hand around the back of his neck and pulls him in for a kiss, leaving Kyungsoo surprised but returning it nonetheless.

“I have an appointment coming up, it’s just a consultation and shouldn’t take long. Wait for me?” Jongin asks when the kiss breaks, smiling when Kyungsoo agrees to.

In the waiting room outside his office, Kyungsoo remembers that he should probably message Yixing, pulling out his phone to find a couple of missed calls and a very angry text message from Sehun about ditching them when it got busy. He’d have to make it up to them another time.

 

 

The next time Yixing and Sehun tell him to do something, Kyungsoo’s definitely going to listen to them. Wearing nothing but his jacket, Kyungsoo blushes as Jongin wraps his scarf around him before they carry on down the street hand in hand. After Jongin had finished up for the day at work, the two of them went out for something to eat, having to resort to a rock, paper, scissors battle when they could agree on who would pay for the whole thing (Kyungsoo ultimately winning).

It was nice being with Jongin again, especially because he was at his most gorgeous when he was smiling and laughing. Kyungsoo could take pride in that most of Jongin’s laughter came from him. Why didn’t he just listen to the other two much sooner?

“How about going for a walk in there?” Kyungsoo asks, pointing to a nearby park

“Sure, but we have to be careful” Jongin playfully warns, “dog walkers are known to frequent the place. Don’t want you running off and ditching me again”

Kyungsoo gently elbows Jongin in the side before laughing loudly when he’s bundled into a hug and taken over to the park, a wide smile plastered on his face.

Yixing and Sehun were right, he just needed to man up.

 

 

“Finally!” Sehun exclaims when Kyungsoo finishes his story, “Any longer and I would have lost my mind”

“So, what’s happening with you and the dogs?” Yixing asks

“Jongin knows a few tricks we could try and see if they do anything. Tomorrow we’re going to try some of them”

“Do my ears deceive me? Has Kyungsoo finally found himself a boyfriend?”

All three of them turn their attention to the entrance of the café. Sehun stands there frowning, Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, and Yixing excitedly runs over to the entrance, hugging an equally excited Byun Baekhyun himself.


lmao guys I'm so excited for you to read the next chapter. It's gonna be great! 

Until then!!