Jilted

Straight as a ruler

Joonmyun wasn’t sure when people began to question his uality, though he was pretty sure he cannot remember a time throughout school and university where people would ask him the same old question and he would have to vehemently deny.

It started as a rumour in his second to last year of school; Joonmyun- supposedly- was caught staring at another male in his sports class as they got dressed at the end of their lesson. Joonmyun denied staring at the guy, but did point out that in a compacted space with a class of about twenty all getting dressed at the same time, people were going to look at the wrong time and be suspected of doing something else. Nevertheless, the rumours began to arise and Joonmyun had to deny and shut down the rumours that he was gay.

Rumours die down and new ones quickly take their place. Throughout school and university there was always a rumour that Joonmyun was caught staring at some guys , was making so called ‘bedroom eyes’ during a conversation, was even seen apparently getting too close for comfort at a fresher’s party. It was nothing Joonmyun hadn’t dealt with before and each and every time someone made some accusation against him which questioned his uality, he would have to strongly deny.

One major argument was consistently brought up in the questioning of Joonmyun’s uality; if he was gay, why would he have dated several times throughout school and university? Sure, they didn’t last that long but if he was gay then why would he even consider being with a girl in the first place? People would say he was probably biual but still Joonmyun would deny. He was straight, straight as a ruler! If he was gay, would he really be getting ready for his wedding day?

His marriage didn’t come around in the traditional way. It was more an arranged marriage per say; the family of the woman he was marrying was well to do and his family felt they could benefit from it. Joonmyun didn’t agree with the idea of an arranged marriage, but he would do anything to help his family, plus it gave him the overall power to once and for all shut up those who ever questioned him. He was going to get married, settle down and put away those rumours once and for all!

 

 

“I have never been so embarrassed in my life before”

Joonmyun sits at the bar now onto his third drink. Jongdae is sat next to him rubbing him on the back- the only form of comfort that is the only appropriate form at this moment in time- answering calls and text messages from various family members asking about Joonmyun.

“In front of the whole family as well!” Joonmyun laments “God just kill me now!”

Jongdae doesn’t blame Joonmyun for acting this way. In fact he was pretty sure that if it had happened to him he would have reacted the exact same way. His phone is constantly buzzing from family members- particularly Joonmyun’s brother whom Jongdae had split from to go look for Joonmyun- wanting to know where he was, what condition he was in, and whether he could be consoled in any way.

“It’s fine Joonmyun. Remember, this isn’t the end of the world, there’s always plenty of fish in the sea” he tries but this only makes Joonmyun whine and shake his head.

“I was supposed to get married today! I wasn’t supposed to stand there at the altar, wait for her, and then slowly realise with every moment that passed that she had jilted me” he whines “Arranged marriage or not, this was my safe card into settling down and starting a family… what if I never find another girl after this?”

“Joonmyun, you’re fine!” Jongdae stresses, trying to get his cousin to calm down before he blows up into a full on panic attack over the uncertainty of his future “Sure, I can understand you’re feeling absolutely mortified right now but this is not the end. You’re going to pick yourself up from this and you’re going to move on!”

Joonmyun wants to believe his words, he really does, but he had planned and looked forward to so much after moving on from today. He had his future effectively planned out and it was all hanging on a wedding that never happened! How was he supposed to move on and start over from this?

“Come on, let’s get you home so you can sleep this off and forget about today” Jongdae says and gets up from his stool

“You go ahead, I’m gonna hang out here for a bit longer” Joonmyun replies and Jongdae opens his mouth to say something but is cut off “Don’t worry about me, I don’t have work tomorrow so it’s not like getting home late is going to affect anything”

“Well… so long as you promise to not drink beyond your capacity. You and I both know how bad of a drunk you are” 

Joonmyun can’t promise it but he does to keep Jongdae happy, even promising to catch a taxi to get home. Left to himself, he downs the remainder of his drink and quickly orders his next. Being left to himself, all sorts of questions were whirring through his mind, the most important being why.

Why was he jilted? Why did she leave him like this? Why didn’t Joonmyun spot the signs- if there were any- before the wedding that she was planning on leaving him? So many unanswered questions they were beginning to hurt his head.

“Rough day huh?”

The voice is slightly accented and belongs to the guy sat two stools away from Joonmyun. Unlike Joonmyun whose ditched the jacket and is still dressed in the remainder of his suit, this guy is dressed more casually in skinny jeans and a white t-shirt. Unlike Joonmyun he look presentable and composed, cheerful, Joonmyun is envious of him.

“Rough is an understatement. This whole day has been a complete embarrassment” Joonmyun replies bitterly and the guy actually pouts at his response.

“Want to tell me what’s wrong?” he asks “I’m not that good at comforting people but I can be a source of any ranting or venting of anger you wish to do”

 Any other day Joonmyun would politely decline and thank the guy for showing his concern. He preferred to keep his private life private no matter what was going on. Today was different and with emotions differing on a scale between despair and anger- with a little bit of alcohol kicking into his system- Joonmyun threw away his morals and bared all to the guy.

“I was supposed to get married. Right now I would probably be well into the party and having my first dance. But no she had to go and jilt me at the altar!”

Joonmyun speaks louder than he intended to as people within earshot of him also hear his mini rant and share the same surprise as the guy has on his face.

“Wow” is all he can say, Joonmyun sighing sadly as he goes back to his drink “If it makes you feel better, I was supposed to meet a friend here almost half an hour ago… I think it’s safe to say they’re not turning up”

“Looks like we’ve both been screwed over in one form or another” Joonmyun points out, leaning over and holding out his hand “Joonmyun”

The guy freezes momentarily but smiles before taking Joonmyun’s hand to shake and introduce himself “Yixing.”

Nodding his head, Joonmyun goes back to his drink. He’s only drunk half of it and yet he’s already ordering his next drink. Yixing notices how quickly he’s moving onto more drinks and tries to convince Joonmyun to hold back for a bit.

“Look Yixing, I appreciate your concern but trust me, if you’ve just had the day that I’ve had you’d understand” Joonmyun argues and being an adult, he has the right to as much as he likes without anybody stopping him. Yixing can only sit back and watch the unfolding chaos.

 

 

“Oh come on, just one more drink”

It’s nearly midnight and Yixing is stood outside the bar propping a very drunk Joonmyun up on his side. He had wanted to go home hours earlier having an early start at work the next morning, but watching the rate in which Joonmyun was ordering drink after drink and the rate he was downing them, he couldn’t leave. What if something happened to him and nobody else helped him out? Yixing couldn’t live with that weighing on his conscience.

“No way! You’ve had way too much to drink and now look at you! We need to get you home” Yixing says “What’s your address?” Being as drunk as he is, Joonmyun can’t remember where he lives. Ruling that option out, Yixing’s next best plan is to get Joonmyun to point in the general direction of his house. Maybe after walking around for a while Joonmyun may recognise something.

“Ah! We need to go that way!” Joonmyun says and turns his whole body facing to the left, before frowning and turning the other way “Or was it that way?”

With that option ruled out, Yixing starts looking in the pockets for any phone Joonmyun may have. When he doesn't find one, he groans to himself and stops to think of what his next move would be. With Joonmyun being too drunk to even keep himself upright, there’s no way he’s going to remember any numbers that Yixing could call to get a family member to pick him up. With all other options failing, there was one last option Yixing had to result to.

“Come on then, you’ll have to spend the night at mine” and begins helping Joonmyun down the road towards his place. Joonmyun sways and stumbles as he walks, laughing at absolutely nothing and Yixing has a hard time keeping him so he doesn’t fall and smack his face on the floor.

“I think I’m gonna be sick”

Yixing has never shoved somebody away from him so fast in his life before…


Only the first chapter and already I've put Joonmyun through so much... ah well!

But yes, welcome! Already we have a situation where Joonmyun is- understandably- feeling deep and utter despair with Yixing who he's only just met picking up the pieces. Now to go on the journey where Yixing convinces Joonmyun that he is indeed gay and to the absolutely cheesy and fluffy scene I had first imagined in the creation of this fic... it's gonna be a fun ride believe me!

Until the next chapter!!