Chapter 22

What a Beautiful Mess This Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Kyungsoo keeps throwing nervous glances in Jongin's direction as they walk silently back to the latter's apartment. There's a storm brewing in Jongin's face as he settes into the couch and Kyungsoo pads to the kitchen to fetch him some cold water in the hopes that it could cool his head some. It's the first time he'd seen Jongin this angry and it's driving his stomach into knots, and when he hands it to him, the crease clings between Jongin's brows as he downs the water.

 

"You okay?" Kyungsoo inquires, plopping close to him that their thighs touch. Jongin lowers the glass, his lips.

 

"You're the one who saw your ex and you're asking if I'm okay?" The edges of Jongin's lips quirk and Kyungsoo huffs out in relief at the change in his mood, it easing the knots in his stomach.

 

"To be honest, I was in complete shock. But I'm kind of over it now, I think. And I'm more worried about you Jongin, more than anything else. I've never seen you this mad before," he says and Jongin's face lifts at the sight of Kyungsoo's very worried expression.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm... I'm an insanely jealous person, 'soo.  It's one of the reasons why I get overly clingy. I try to hold it back, I really do. But what happened back there, it just pushed me too far." Jongin runs a hand over his hair and heaves out a breath. "What did he want exactly?" Kyungsoo suddenly remembers the card Hyungsik had given him and feels it in his pocket when he pats a palm over it.

 

"He gave me his card." He slides it out of his pocket and shows it to Jongin. "He said to call him, so we could talk." Jongin eyes it so intensely Kyungsoo half-expects the thing to burst into flames.

 

"Well, are you?" he asks and when he looks back at Kyungsoo, there is a mixture of fear and panic swirling around his eyes that Kyungsoo swallows back the 'yes' he'd intended to answer and instead says, "No."  Jongin's eyes soften when he crumples the card and throws it on the coffee table. Kyungsoo convinces himself he'd made the right decision considering Jongin's smiling at him so blindingly bright that it blocks out any lingering doubt he might still have.

 

"No, there's no reason to. Forget him. He doesn't matter to me," he says as he hugs Jongin to him, pressing cool lips on his temple. "I love you, okay. You're my idiot boyfriend who I love very much so there is no room for your jealousy, Jongin." Jongin's breath hits his neck in short puffs as he laughs.

 

"I love you, too." Jongin's arms form a tight circle around his waist.  "Just... you sure you're okay?"

 

"Yes, I'm very sure."

 

"I love you," he says again, burying his nose deeper into his neck, earning him a snickering laugh from Kyungsoo.

 

"Do you love me enough to lend me some detergent? We left everything back at the supermarket and I have a pile of dirty clothes at my apartment that needs washing." Jongin laughs, loosening his arms so he can lean back and stare him straight in the eyes.

 

"I can," he replies and Kyungsoo's eyes narrow into slits at the playful smile starting to spread on Jongin's lips. "For a price." Kyungsoo rolls his eyes but humors him by asking what it is.  "A kiss."

 

"Fine," he says, sounding so put upon but he's smiling when Jongin leans in to press their mouths together.

 

"Or two." He steals another kiss. "Or three," Jongin murmurs against Kyungsoo's lips before he kisses him, deeper this time. The kiss doesn't last long and when he pulls back, his eyes remain fixated on Kyungsoo's reddened mouth. "I'll tell you when I have been fully compensated," he says and Kyungsoo's laughter is cut short when Jongin seals their lips again. Kyungsoo's hands automatically wrap around his neck and as Jongin presses him into the couch, the unnerving incident hours before get thoroughly erased from his mind when Jongin's warm body slides between his  parted legs.

 

------------------------

 

"Hey 'soo, you need a ride?" Baekhyun calls out to him as Kyungsoo pauses outside their office building.

 

"Nope but thanks baek. Jongin's picking me up." Baekhyun waves goodbye and jogs over to his car, and Kyungsoo lifts a hand up when he honks his car as he drives out of the parking lot. Other employees, including his friends, trickle past him, and he tells them a polite 'goodbye' while constantly glancing around for a blue scooter. His heart stops when he catches sight of a painfully familiar figure walking in his direction and he's frozen in place as Hyungsik stops right in front of him.

 

"Kyungsoo," Hyungsik begins and Kyungsoo recovers enough to blurt out a panicked "What the hell are you doing here?"

 

"I-I wanted to see and talk to you. I took a chance to see if you still worked here and here you are." Kyungsoo is stunned into complete silence and Hyungsik goes on. "It's been months since that time we saw each other and you never called. I thought maybe you lost my card or something."

 

"I threw it away, Hyungsik. We have nothing to talk about." Hyungsik frowns at that and scrambles for his wallet and takes out his card.

 

"Please Kyungsoo, I really need to talk to you. Here." He steps closer to Kyungsoo and holds out the card. Kyungsoo remains motionless so Hyungsik grasps his hand lightly and pushes the card onto his palm.

 

Kyungsoo hears the sound of running footsteps and the next thing he knows Jongin has thrown a punch, it landing on Hyungsik's jaw and his body falls onto the harsh concrete. It's all too fast and he might have screamed and Jongin looks intent on doing more so Kyungsoo holds him back, and other employees run up to them to help. To his horror, some of his bosses are also there, helping Hyungsik up.

 

"WHAT THE IS GOING ON HERE?!" Mr. Lee screams at them and Kyungsoo lets Jongin go to step in between the two groups.

 

"I'm sorry, sir. It was absolutely my fault, I'm so sorry," he says as he bows low in apology. He strides back to Jongin, who's still struggling in the others' hold on him, and hisses, "Jongin, get the out of here! Go home!" Jongin stops squirming, though his eyes still burn with anger and his hands still balled tightly into fists. "I said go!" Kyungsoo repeats and Jongin's eyes flash with something akin to hurt but it immediately disappears as he breaks free from the hands binding him and walks away without uttering a single word. Kyungsoo says 'sorry' over and over to everyone and when the tiny group disperses, he's left with Hyungsik who's holding a hand over his jaw. "You okay?" Hyungsik nods and grimaces at the same time.

 

"Lucky I stepped back a little right before he punched me. It lessened the blow a bit but can that guy punch." He stretches his jaw and grimaces again. 

 

"I-I have to go Hyungsik." Kyungsoo says, the image of Jongin and how hurt he looked suddenly flooding his brain, and all he wants to do right now is to run to him. 

 

"Wait Kyungsoo. I'm sorry but please, I really need to talk to you." There's a sort of desperation etched in his tone and he fishes out another card and hands it over. "Please give me a chance." This time Kyungsoo takes it willingly. "Thank you," he says and Kyungsoo nods mutely before turning around and hurrying away  to find himself a cab.

 

------------------------

 

He alights from the cab and walks into his building with heavy feet and an even heavier heart. He'd gone to Jongin's apartment first but it appeared he wasn't home and Kyungsoo believes it's impossible for Jongin not to open the door no matter how angry he is. His calls and texts remained unanswered and he had no choice but to go home and leave Jongin alone to cool his head, wherever he might be.

 

When the elevator door opens to his floor, he gets to take a few steps before completely stopping because Jongin is sitting outside his door. He's already standing by the time Kyungsoo jogs up to him. "Hey, you... you okay?" Jongin doesn't look at him when he shakes his head. Kyungsoo fumbles for his keys and when they step in, he goes directly to his fridge to grab an ice pack. Jongin is seated on the couch when he heads back and Kyungsoo hands it to him before sitting down himself down. There's a palpable tension woven in the silence as Kyungsoo watches the rigid line of Jongin's shoulders, the deep creases on Jongin's face as he frowns.

 

"I'm not sorry," Jongin finally says as he works the ice pack on his hand. Kyungsoo sighs and suddenly he feels so exhausted.

 

"Jongin, you shouldn't have done that." Jongin's eyes flash with anger when he turns to look at him.

 

"What did you expect me to do? Just stand around and smile when your goddamn ex was standing so close and holding your hand?!" 

 

Kyunsoo grits his teeth, willing away the anger churning his insides. "I expected you to be mature and not go around throwing punches like some juvenile delinquent. You could have been arrested for what you did."

 

"Well it would have been worth it just to beat the out of that guy," Jongin spits out.

 

"Jongin, are you even listening to yourself right now? And that was where I worked. My bosses were there, now I have to explain everything tomorrow. And all this just because you saw me with my ex. Christ, Jongin he just wanted to talk," he says, trying to keep his voice from cracking.

 

Jongin mock laughs and the sound grates Kyungsoo's ears. "I vaguely remember you saying you didn't want to talk to him. Are you telling me you're actually considering it?"

 

"I-I might. There's some stuff we need to talk about."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter