seemed

Game Changer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

           The next morning the girl awoke to her cell phone ringing. She peaked through crusted eyelids and saw the name Jackson pop up. Wanting to hit ignore, Yejin decide to be nice and just play along so he would maybe leave her alone for the weekend. She hit accept and put the device to her ear, not able to even get out a hello before the boy started speaking.

 

          “I’m here,” he said. Yejin, wrapped up in her covers with laptop open beside her, it’s screen asleep from not being used in so long, was confused by this. She forced herself to sit up and a yawn escaped .

 

           “What?” she asked while stretching. She looked over the edge of her bed and saw the empty styrofoam containers that she was too lazy to throw away. She swung her legs over and stood up.

 

           “I’m at your house in front of your door,” he said. Her eyes opened and the sleepy bits dug into her skin, forcing her to rub them away. Yejin hopped on her bed and peaked out her window. He wasn’t lying.

 

           “Go home, I just woke up,” she said with her scratchy voice as she picked up the trash and walked across her room to toss it in the bin.

 

           “No, come out and play,” he said. Yejin rolled her eyes at his words. Neither of them spoke and Yejin looked at herself in the mirror when the doorbell sounded throughout the house.

 

          “What are you doing,” she said as she opened her door and walked down the hall, too groggy to run.

 

          “Should I knock? Will someone let me in if I pretend to be the police?” he asked. Yejin hoped the noise didn’t wake her sister or father. She reached the front door and took a deep breath before unlocking it. The girl opened the door just as Jackson had his fist raised, ready to start knocking.

 

          “Good morning,” Jackson with a sincere smile. Yejin shot him daggers as she ended the call and crossed her arms.

 

         “Why are you here?” she asked as another yawn came out after her sentence.

 

          “I told you yesterday I would come in the morning to pick you up, let’s go,” Jackson said as he reached to grab her hand. The girl was dragged outside and the cold concrete hit her bare feet. She tugged back and sighed.

 

          “Give me a minute to get ready okay?” she said as she walked back and entered the house, Jackson trailing behind her like a lost puppy.

 

“Can I come in?” he asked when she closed the screen door between them.

 

“No,” she said. “Five minutes, I promise,” she finished. With that she walked into her room and scratched her head. She would just be with Jackson for a few hours, why was she worrying about how she looked? The girl grabbed a brush and worked on her hair while searching her closet for something seasonally appropriate and comfy that wasn’t sweats or pajamas. And untimed period later, Yejin felt awake but kinda gross since she hadn’t showered in a day. She looked at herself in the mirror as she wore a long sleeve shirt, jeans and sneakers with her hair in braid. Good enough. The girl grabbed her phone and keys and walked out of her room. From the end of the hall she could hear hyena laughter accompanying her father’s voice. Yejin hoped this wasn’t what she thought it was.

 

“Finally, it’s been forever,” Jackson said as the girl walked in the room. Sitting across from the boy was her father in an old t-shirt and pajamas pants with his reading glasses.

 

“Why would you leave this poor boy outside, it’s nearly winter,” he father scolded her. He turned back to Jackson and the two continued talking about something Yejin had no interest in: sports. The girl sat down next to the pest himself and waited for them to finish talking. She felt like a third wheel and began to dread what the rest of the day would entail.

 

“I’ll let you two get going. Make sure to stop by whenever you want. Yejin, keep this boy around, I like him,” her father said. Jackson smiled and nodded, giving the man a slight bow. Yejin clicked her teeth and shook her head.

 

“Okay dad, see you later,” she said as she walked across the room and out the door with Jackson slowly following, still saying his goodbyes to her father. She stepped down the few concrete steps leading to the driveway.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter