Soju Night

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting His Family

“So what do you guys think of her?” Yongguk questioned as he sat down to eat with his friends. They had chosen to take up space in the corner of the restaurant to not disrupt everyone else. 

“Okay I know I’m not the oldest, but I have some great news to share with your guys,” Youngjae said. “I have this idea on how we conduct our auditions. What if they were blind and we only identified each person by a number so that there would be no visual bias and it be strictly based on talent?” Jongup and Daehyun nodded in agreement. But still trying to win more approval he continued. “I haven’t worked out all the details yet, but I was hoping this would be a good idea and be the ground of potential for the first generation of groups we sign to our label. “ 

All heads turned to Yongguk awaiting his opinion “Give me subsequent figures, and get back to me. It sounds nice, but I want to know how exactly you intend on making that a successful concept.” 

At the sound of that response, Youngjae was ecstatic because it wasn’t exactly a ‘yes’, but it wasn’t ‘no’ either. “Does anyone else have any good news they’d like to share?” Yongguk inquired.

Jongup slowly lifted up his hand. “My sister had her baby recently, and she believes in us, so she named him ‘Mato,' out of respect for when we used to perform. Which reminds me that she and her boyfriend also eloped and got married in Daegu.” 

Daehyun gave a light applause. “I think that deserves a toast.”All the members took their glasses of Soju and loudly. “Cheers” “Cheers” “Cheers.”

“Well I couldn’t possibly let all the maknae’s have all the fun, so I guess it’s my turn,” Daehyun stated as he repositioned himself in his seat. “My restaurant has been doing well and will be featured on a popular food blog. The publicity will make things even greater, and I have found a student of mine who will run the restaurant on days that I am not there.”  Each member gave their congratulatory statements just as their food arrived and was devoured in a matter of minutes.

 “I have something to say as well. I will be graduating high school in a few weeks in the top 100 of my class. Also, I have a new noona who is gorgeous and will also become close with.” Zelo stated. Himchan took his chopsticks and pecked Zelo on the forehead.”Ow! What was that for?”

“Don’t’ be rude. Apologize to your Hyung.”

”It’s fine; it’s not like he said anything that wasn’t true. She is beautiful, and she’ll be here in Seoul for a few more days so I have no doubt they will interact with each other.”  The room filled with an awkward silence. “Well since I’m talking now, how about I tell you my good news?” The members continued to eat their food as their leader spoke. “I am thinking of asking Rian to marry me.”

*coughs* *food dropping* *jaws hitting floor*

“Yongguk are you serious?” Himchan questioned.

Yongguk set his chopsticks down and exhaled. “Yeah.”

“Congratulations Hyung!” Daehyun said as he patted Yongguk on the back 
“When and where?” Jongup asked.

“It’s only a recent thought, besides I haven’t asked her yet, but that’s my good news.” He gestured towards Himchan as he took another shot of Soju.

Himchan cleared his throat. “Well I can’t follow that up, but I haven’t smoked in a month, so I guess that’s something, considering I started when I was pretty young and smoked about two packs a day…”

Yongguk slapped Himchan on the back encouragingly. “Nicely done. I’m proud of you. Another toast for all our good times.” Yongguk held up his bottle of Soju and knocked it with the others’.

The guys continued their night talking about some of the struggles they continued to face and the conversations made less and less sense as they drank more and more that night. 

Rian had fallen asleep watching the notebook and awoken to a paid advertisement about how to lose 50-pound in two days or something like that. She pulled out her phone to check the time only to be greeted by a screen that was too bright for reading at 3:47 AM. Rian suddenly heard the sound of the front door being rattled. 

'Is Yongguk just getting back?' Rian thought to herself. She watched the door as she heard a voice outside of the door and the handle continued to be pulled on. What if someone’s breaking in? She quietly rose from the couch and went to find Yongnam in his room. 

“Yongnam Oppa” She whispered as she gently knocked and opened the door simultaneously. To her surprise, he was on his computer while he was in bed. “Yongnam-Oppa!” she said louder. It was then that he took in her presence and suddenly closed his laptop as his held a look of embarrassment. 

“What are you doing in here? What’s wrong?” He quickly responded

“I think someone is trying to break in.”

Yongnam pushed his covers aside and reached into his bottom drawer. He stood up suddenly carrying a gun and loaded it with two bullets. “Watch out. “He brushed past Rian and went to the door, holding his ear to the door and his hand ready to shoot. 

As the person on the other side of the door opened the door, Yongnam aimed his gun, only to realize it wasn’t an intruder, but his very drunk younger brother, and some older guy.

“What’s with the gun? Just pay me my fare and I will go, and I better get a tip too for carrying him up here. He’s heavier than he looks you know.”

“How much is it?” Yongnam questioned as he reached in his back pocket. 
“65,000 won.”

“That better include gratuity,” Yongnam stated as he gave the man the money, in exchange for his very unsober brother. The Adjussi bowed quickly and left. “Rian grabbed under his other shoulder and let's get him to his room,” Yongnam stated, and Rian did just that. 

“Does yongguk usually drink to this extreme?” Rian questioned, noticing the unmeaningful gibberish coming from her boyfriend's lips.

“No. He only every drinks more than one shot of soju when he has a lot on his mind.” Yongnam opened the door to his room and carefully laid him the bed. “Next time you think there’s an intruder just check whether or not Yongguk is here or not, so I don’t kill my brother.”

Rian scratched her head. “Sorry, but better safe than sorry right.” 

Yongnam smirked at her words, and ‘Are all foreigners like this?’ He thought to himself. As they left Yongguk’s room, Yongnam couldn’t help but notice how Rian held her shoulder.

“What’s wrong with you?” He shouted.

“Nothing just tired and tense I guess.”

“Do you want to sleep in my bed tonight? I know the couch isn’t all that comfortable.” Yongnam quickly stated. “I didn’t plan for you to sleep there to begin with.” 

“I would usually object but…” Rian started to say. 

“Don’t mention it” Yongnam responded as he took a pillow from his bed.

“By the way, what do you mean by ‘you didn’t expect me to stay on the couch’? Didn’t Yongguk tell you I was coming to visit?”

“Yeah but I figured you would share a bed like he usually does with his girlfriends…” The moment yongnam spoke those words he regretted it when he saw Rian’s face. “Sorry! I didn’t mean-”

Rian blushed profusely. “No worries. I understand and thanks again for letting me crash your bed for a night. You are the best brother-of-my-boyfriend I have ever known.”