Reconcilitation

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting His Family

Mrs.Bang sat across from her husband as they ate their breakfast.

“Is Yongguk coming over today?”

“I don’t know. But probably not, because of you.”

“I did nothing wrong. I only said what you were thinking.”

“I don’t need you to speak for me, let alone when you’re wrong.”

Mr.Bang folded his newspaper and placed it on the table. “Please, you know they don’t’ belong together. It’s unnatural, and everyone should just stay with their kind.”

“I do like her, but at the end of the day it is not for us to decide who are children choose, or don’t choose, to spend their time with.”

“We are his parents; we deserve to have our opinion count.”

Mrs. Bang stood from the table. “It’s that kind of thinking that made him leave last time.” Mrs. Bang’s eyes began to water. “Do you realize that this is the first time we’ve seen Yongguk after so long, and you go and act like this. The only reason that Yongguk came to see us is because Rian wanted to meet us. You should be thanking her for what she’s done, not disregarding for who she is.”

“Enough!” Mr.Bang shouted in response. Mrs.Bang stood to rise as she heard knocking at the door. 

“This better be Yongguk because if it’s not I will not forgive you for chasing our son away again, especially after we just got him back.” As Mrs. Bang opened the door, she disappointed yet happy to see that it wasn’t Yongguk, but Rian.

“Hi Mrs.Bang” Rian quickly bowed. “I was wondering if you had seen a gray phone lying around, by chance?” 

“I no we haven’t seen one.” The two women stared at each other awkwardly for a few seconds. “Is that the only reason you came over here. Is Yongguk now with you?”

Rian shoved her hands into her front pockets nervously. “No, he’s not. But the other reason I came by is because I also wanted to apologize for yesterday. I didn’t like leaving the way we did…that and I wanted to talk to Mr.Bang.”

Mrs.Bang looked at Rian as if she had suddenly grown an extra head. “You want to speak to that bitter old man?”

Rian stifled a laugh and nodded her head. Mrs. Bang let Rian inside and led her to her husband.

“Honey. Someone wants to talk to you.” 

“I have nothing to say to that so-called son of ours.” Mr.Bang quickly said as he continued to read his newspaper not even looking in their direction. 

Rian cleared hoping to urge Mr. Bang to turn towards her. “ Mr.Bang it is me, Rian, and I’d like to talk to you if that’s okay?”

Mr.Bang lowered his newspaper just enough for them to see his eyes peek over the top before he placed them on the table and picked up his tea. “I have no reason to talk to you.”

“Honey, at least listen to what she has to say.”

“I want nothing to do with her.” Mr. Bang said as he looked at his wife with frustration.

“Mr.Bang all I want is to have a civilized conversation with you, for no more than three minutes. Then after that don’t have to hear another word from me ever again.”

Mr.Bang sighed loudly as he brushed past you. You were prepared to leave when you heard his voice echo from down the hallway. “Come on foreigner, let's get this over with.” Rian and Mrs. Bang looked at each other with expressions of hopefulness, confusion, and skepticism. As you began to head to Mr.Bang’s office Rian heard Mrs.Bang whisper and gesture “Fight-ing!

Mrs.Bang sat on the couch watch a drama on television when she heard a key in her front door and saw her son enter the room anxiously with ruffled hair, bags under his eyes, and not to mention wearing the same clothes as yesterday 

“Yongguk, are you okay?” Mrs.Bang questioned.

“Mom I lost Rian?”

“What are you talking about?” Yongguk stopped pacing and looked at his mom.

“She didn’t come home last night.”

“What do you mean she didn’t come home last night? Where else is she going to stay?”

Yongguk sat down on the couch beside his mother and ran his hands through his hair. “We went to Yongnam’s place yesterday after we left here, but as soon as we got there we started arguing and it got intense fast and the next thing I now she’s walking out the door ‘to cool off.’”

“Every couple argues Yongguk why are you such a mess like this?” Mrs.Bang questioned as she pulled at Yongguks shirt.

“Because she left but she never came back, and I can’t find her.”

“Did you call her?”

“Yeah, but she left her phone.” Yongguk brought his hands to his face. “I don’t even know where she’s staying. She doesn’t have any friends here mom. I even went to the police station, but they didn’t help.”

“Sweetie you need to relax. I’ll make you some tea.”

“No thanks, mom.” Yongguk quickly stood to his feet. “I need to keep looking for her.” Just as Yongguk was starting to pull his jacket back on he heard his father’s voice coming down the hall. Yongguk reached for the door when he noticed that his father wasn’t alone and that he recognized the other voice. Yongguk had seen Rian before she saw him and when he did he moved quickly to embrace her tightly. 

“Yong-guk-too-tight.” Rian tried to speak through his shirt. 

“I was worried like hell over you.” Yongguk continued to hold her tightly and was even petting her hair gingerly. He then pulled himself away and inspected her body with his hands. “Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened? Why didn’t you call me? Are you still angry? I’m sorry.” 

Rian stood frozen, occasionally swatting away yongguk’s hands. “I'm all right. I just misplaced my phone. Are you okay? Weren’t you wearing those clothes yesterday?”

“Yeah I did. I’m so sorry for what I said.”

“Yongguk, it’s okay, everything is fine.”

“What are you doing here.” Before Rian could respond Mr.Bang appeared.

“I came to talk to your dad.” Yongguk looked between the both' Rian and his father questionably. “I hated how we left yesterday, so I came by to smooth things over with your parents.” 

Yongguk looked at his mom for confirmation and at his father questionably. “Really?” 

“Yes now come on. I want to see the rest of Incheon before I go back.” Rian tugged on his jacket as she pulled him towards the door. “Mr. and Mrs. Bang we will be back later on if that’s okay?”

“Sure thing. Take him to get a bath first.” Mrs. Bang exclaimed as she pinched her nose and waved her hand in front of her face. 

*a/n I apologize for the long wait. Please accept my apology of utmost sincerity.