Bittersweet Mint

delightful swirls {one-shot collection} [ hiatus ]

 

 I first met Pal on a chilly winter day.

I was in third grade then; young and naïve, acting before thinking twice.

“Mom. Look at that!” My chapped cheeks flushed with red from the cold winds. My mom had decided to take my older brother, Kibum, and me to a local farmers’ market.

I still remember the greens and reds of the fruits and vegetables I loved and hated; the grins and laughter around me.

“Oh… it’s a bunny! How cute,” She bent over the wire cage, inspecting a mound of fluff that raised its head to peek at me. I giggled to myself and squatted down beside the bunny, while Kibum merely shuffled closer to the cage, mesmerized.

I was starstruck by the bunny’s perky ears, and the splotch of black on its side. The bunny had sparked something in my heart, and being the stubborn child I was, I wasn’t going to let go.

“Mom! Can we buy it? I really, really want it!” I whined and pouted, tugging at my mother’s winter coat.

“I don’t know…” The smile on her face dropped a notch. Kibum also tugged at her coat and repeated what I said. We relentlessly pleaded, and her walls came tumbling down.

“Well, if you want it that much…” She sighed and pulled out her leather wallet. “Mister, how much is this bunny?”

Kibum and I cheered loudly, as relief floated throughout my body. The bunny I longed for was finally mine! I had already thought of a fitting name: Pal.

We watched as the gruff man prepared a cardboard box with rabbit food and extra supplies. When he handed the cardboard box to my mom, he reminded Kibum and I that we must be attentive to the bunny and take good care of him.

I foolishly bobbed my head up and down, eager to arrive home and cuddle with Pal; I was unaware of the responsibility and devotion I required.

 

As  children, everyone was young and innocent; unaware of the cracks in this world.

 

Pal lived in the backyard, with a metal fence around his miniature house. I’d visit him everyday, poking my head through the house to meet Pal’s curious eyes.

He was my best friend; I visited him everyday, fed him treats of all types, and even read books to him. To me, he was my other half; the other half that would respond quietly and nuzzle my cheek. He never laughed at my foolishness, never complained of my bad qualities, and never stopped loving me.

 

But people grow up. Their interests change, their personality changes; you don’t realize the new person you've become until you grow weak and old.

 

And soon, I grew up as well.

Four years had come and passed; winter soon surrounded us with its chilly air and pure snow once again.

My mom left on a one month business trip to Australia, and I was free do whatever I pleased.

“Taemin,” Kibum called out from the other room. “It’s your turn to feed Pal.”

“Yeah, I know!” I quickly responded, keeping my eyes focused on my newly bought video game. Grumbling, I stood up and hastily pulled on my boots and mittens. As I trudged to the back door, I noticed that the snow had piled up to reach my waist. This year’s snow had been the most I’d ever seen.

 An avalanche of snow tumbled onto me as I opened the door.

“Ah… cold!” I immediately hopped back. I could have used a shovel to create a path to Pal’s cage, but I decided that it would be too much work. The only thing I wanted to do was to finish my video game.

“There’s a lot of snow here…” Kibum scooted beside me, eyes glazed with wonder. “Are you able to get to Pal’s cage?”

“Dunno. Should we just leave him be for now?” I asked. Truthfully, I didn’t want to spare too much work to feed Pal. He could survive a day without food, right?

“I guess so,” Kibum shrugged and ambled away. I kicked some of the snow back outside, and plodded to my room to continue playing my video games.

I never fed him that winter; I had false hope that he would survive.

Not.

That was merely an excuse; I, myself, knew that I was at fault.

 

Soon, a day turned into a week, which turned into a month.

 

Heaps of snow had melted, and sprouts of pink and red began to appear. The smell of petunias wafted through the air, and bees buzzed once again.

 

“Taemin...”

 

I looked up from my crossword puzzle to find Kibum looking at me with a serious expression.

“Mm, what?” I responded hastily, filling in another word. Kibum stayed silent, eyeing me with a panicky and grim expression.

“What is it? Just tell me,” I impatiently stated. My pencil paused, ready to write the word “eternity”.

“Pal… he… he’s dead.”

No.

“…what?” My face morphed into one of horror, guilt, and denial. Without uttering a sound, I immediately dashed outside, ignoring the prickling sensation of stray burs lying hidden in the grass. Soon, I arrived at the miniature house I had known so well; the red and peach colored haven.

As I panted and tried to catch my breath, I squeezed my eyelids shut, in prayer.

 

Pal can’t be dead. He was my best friend. He’ll be there forever, right?

 

I hesitantly opened my eyes, and slowly poked my head into the small abode. To my horror, a limp body lay on the floor.

The cuddly, chubby, and downy creature I had once known was gone.

In his place was scrawny and sickly form.

 

No…this can’t.

 

My fingers trembled as I reached out to his fur, and immediately pulled back at the touch of his gelid frame.

My tears slipped from the corners of my eyes; one by one, they fell onto Pal’s body.

It was my entire fault, and I knew it. I regretted the choice I had made on that day; swayed by the materialistic factors of life that left as quickly as they come.

I had vainly chosen something with no purpose over friendship and my best friend.

I bet you have also been in the same situation.

 

What if I had done this? What if I had done that?

 

If this, if that, maybe if.

Do it now. Tomorrow never comes. 



A/N
stop procrasinating, fools
Yes, yes you.