The Lavender Envelope

The Lavender Envelope

You sat in the doctor’s office, holding the sonogram picture tightly in your hands as you and your doctor discussed your next appointment. You and your husband, Hoseok, had been trying for nearly a year to get pregnant, and now, it was finally happening. “The most important thing, Mrs. Jung,” your doctor said as the two of you got ready to leave the room. “Is to take care of yourself. Keep your stress level down, get plenty of sleep, and remember to take your vitamins. I will see you in a month.”

You nodded as you shook her hand and left, photo still in hand. You knew exactly how you were going to break the news to Hoseok. The only hard part was waiting until that evening.

________

As soon as you got home, you sealed the picture in a lavender colored envelop and collected the mail, placing the pile on the coffee table in your living room and slipping the envelope into the center of the pile. You had imagined announcing your pregnancy this way ever since the two of you started discussing starting a family together, and now you were far more than excited to commence the plan.

The TV was on in your living room, which opened into the kitchen of your small apartment. You liked the noise playing in the background as you started preparing dinner for when Hoseok returned home from practice.

Despite Bangtan being pretty well known, their popularity continued to increase, which had both positive and negative outcomes. For starters, your husband was living his dream and was able to see the world and perform with his closest friends, however, he was constantly being dragged away from you for tours, fan events, or long practices. In the start of your relationship, it bothered you. A lot. In fact, it almost caused your relationship to end. It wasn’t until after a year or so that you really started to understand what dating an idol meant. And, by now, you were used to the negative comments (though the frequency of finding them had slowly started going down as the years  passed), the crowds, the distance, and everything else that was thrown your way. You and Hoseok were as happy as could be.

You were just about done cooking the yukhoe bibimbap when you heard the door close and a voice ring out, “Jagiya, I’m home!”

You tried to fight back the smile threatening to break out across your face, but failed miserably. Being discreet had never really been your thing. “I’m in the kitchen,” you called back. Him being home meant that you were one step closer to announcing the news.

It took a few moments for him to put his jacket and shoes away in their respective places and to make his way to the kitchen. When he reached you, however, he s his arms around your waist and rested his chin on your shoulder. “Dinner looks great, Jagi,” he said. His voice sent shivers down your spine. “But nothing could look as good as you.”

The comment made you laugh, and you turned away from the stove to face him. “You’re so cheesy, Hobi,” you giggled, shaking your head before pressing your lips against his for a brief second. “Really, you’re too much.”

Your husband flashed his signature smile and your heart soared, even now, after years of being together, his smile was still just as precious to you. “Ah, but you love it,” he said, looking back into the pot on the stove. “What’s for dinner?”

“Bibimbap,” you answered, following his gaze. “How was practice?”

“Good. Jungkook fell, though, we thought he had sprained his ankle,” he said. “He was fine though. We had a staff member come in and look at it. It wasn’t swollen or anything, but he iced it for a while and went home. Our manager is giving him tomorrow to rest it. How are you? Did you go to the doctor like you promised? It isn’t normal to be throwing up and being tired all the time.”

Has he really not figured it out yet? you thought, but answered his question as if everything were fine.

“Oh, yeah, they said that I must have some kind of stomach bug or something. If it doesn’t get better by Tuesday, they said to come back. I’m not worried about it, though.  Hey, the mail is on the coffee table and I haven’t had the chance to go through it. Would you mind?”

Of course, Hoseok, like the good husband he was, agreed. You turned your attention back to your cooking, you your smile had grown and you could hear the sound of your heart pounding against your chest. It was only a matter of-

“What’s this?” you heard his voice ask. You turned to face him, and, in his hand, was the same lavender colored envelope that you were holding earlier. On the front, the words To Daddy were scribed in the most elegant of ways. Attempting to play it  cool, you simply shrugged. “Why don’t you open it,” you suggested, now unable to look away.

It was happening. Hoseok would finally know that you were having a baby.

Hoseok accepted your answer and did just that, tearing open the envelop. When he pulled out the sonogram, he just stared at it for a second, not understanding what it was. “‘From your angel’?” he read off the words written on the bottom, turning his gaze to you. “(Y/N), what is this? Is it...What I think it is?”

You bit your lip and moved towards him, nodding your head. Excitement radiated off of you and the news was finally getting to Hoseok.

“You mean...?” He trailed off, voice catching in the back of his throat. His eyes sparkled with pure joy.

“Mhm,” you hummed in response. “We’re pregnant.”