Strong Enough

young master (& his bodyguard)

Summary: Jongin's resolve.

 

 

Mr. Do throws a crumpled piece of paper on the fireplace, letting it burn into ashes before walking away.

The first scare arrives four months after Jongin has fully settled with the Do household, along with all the other highly trained professionals entrusted with the family's safety. They are nowhere near to what the books and comics and every other article out there says about them. They laugh at jokes and treats Jongin as the group's little brother and Jongin hasn't felt this kind of comfort ever since he could remember.

The Dos were no different; treating Jongin as if he was their own family and Jongin doesn't know what to do with all that he's receiving.

So it makes Jongin wonder how anyone could possibly want to harm the people who took him in - especially Kyungsoo.

"Do you understand, Jongin?" Mr. Do's voice breaks through his thoughts and Jongin tongues at his cheek as he nods. "You are not, by any means, to leave Kyungsoo's side."

Beside him, Mrs. Do and Seungsoo smiles encouragingly at Jongin and Jongin smiles back. Kyungsoo's fidgeting with his fingers and Jongin stands up straighter, trying to brighten up the boy's expression.

"Don't worry." he whispers when the car drops them off at the school's gate. There are two more guards stationed outside but they're dressed as civilians in order to not attract more attention than necessary. Jongin pokes at Kyungsoo's cheek. "I'll protect you."

A smile breaks through Kyungsoo's face and Jongin feels proud even if he doesn't show it.

The rest of the day goes by with no problem, Kyungsoo finally cheering up and laughing at one of their classmate's lame joke. Jongin snorts and turns towards the window, trying to see if there is anything unusual outside. Nothing seems out of place so he returns to staring at Kyungsoo who's now busy writing something on his notebook.

"Let's go get ice cream, Jongin." Kyungsoo suggests when they're walking back outside, the familiar car waiting for them outside. Jongin mulls over it before nodding and Kyungsoo runs towards the driver, telling them they're going to be walking a bit to buy something.

"What flavor do you want?" Kyungsoo asks him, eyes staring at Jongin and Jongin flushes a bit because he's actually really excited to eat ice cream.

"Whatever you're getting." Jongin mumbles.

He hears Kyungsoo click his tongue. "Let's buy different flavors so you could taste two!"

Jongin looks up with a smile just as a car skids to a halt beside them. The door opens and a man quickly grabs Kyungsoo by the arm, yanking him away from Jongin's side and inside the car.

"Young master!"

A shout startles Jongin out of his trance, eyes bulging when he sees Kyungsoo thrashing around wildly against the man's hold. From inside of the car, another man stands up to help haul Kyungsoo inside.

Jongin reacts this time.

He almost trips when he runs towards the second guy, knocking his whole body against him and making the both of them stumble towards the hard ground. He's screaming, blindly punching the man under him. He's on autopilot, vaguely feeling the hits on his chest and back and cheeks and Kyungsoo's screaming from behind him.

There's a few gunshots from the background but Jongin doesn't stop throwing his fists at the man, eyes wide and blank. He doesn't stop until two sets of arms pulls him back from the ground and a smaller set wraps around him from behind.

"Please stop, Jongin."

Jongin blinks, senses coming back when he hears Kyungsoo's quivering voice. Something wet is soaking the back of his uniform and he scared to think of Kyungsoo crying. In front of him, the man he's fighting lay in a mess, blood spilling from his nose. He sees Barom, another bodyguard of the Dos, pull him up by the collar and slam him against the car.

"Let's go home." the driver peeps, voice shaken as well as he ushers both of them inside the car.

Kyungsoo is still shaking when he sits down beside Jongin but his hand is steady when he grabs his handkerchief from his pocket, reaching up and urging Jongin to look at him.

Jongin does and he feels the fabric against his skin. Kyungsoo is looking up at him, eyes bright and cheeks wet. He doesn't know why Kyungsoo's wiping his cheeks and not his own.

"Blood." Kyungsoo answers softly as if reading Jongin's mind. Jongin raises a hand to wipe his other cheek but Kyungsoo stops him.

There's a scratch on Kyungsoo arm.

Jongin touches it and he feels Kyungsoo wince. Something settles deep in his gut and he place his hands back on his lap, palms open as he stares at them.

So little. And so weak.

"Thank you." Kyungsoo whispers when he's finished, smiling up at Jongin even if he's still shaking.

Jongin nods and curls his fingers to a fist, looking far away from the window.

I'm going to get stronger.

He glances at Kyungsoo and seals the promise to himself.