Geojitmal Hajima. (Stop Lying.)

SINCE 1765
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 25 - Geojitmal Hajima. (Stop Lying.)

 

*

 

#since1765

 

*

 

Seoul Garden Residences

City of Seoul, Gyeonggi Province

 

When Kim Taeyeon opened the door to let her visitor in, she was upset that there was only one. She thought maybe, the other expected party just wasn't shown in the video surveillance of her front door. But the sole presence of Choi Seunghyun proved that Kwon Jiyong didn't come to the group date.

 

“Hi Tabi,” she greeted, and Big Bang's TOP entered her house.

 

“I heard Steph's still recording.”

 

“Yeah, she got extended time in the studio. Uhm... where's Jiyong?”

 

Seunghyun followed her to the mini bar, and they sat on the stools across one another.

 

“He's in Japan,” TOP answered, and he saw how the woman's eyes flickered with worry. “Is everything okay?”

 

“I don't know if you've heard, but our wedding is going to be on September 28,” Taeyeon shared coolly, pouring the visitor some light drinks.

 

“Then it's a good thing I found the third couple,” TOP said casually, accepting the drink.

 

“What?! Really?”

 

“Uhuh,” he answered, raising his glass to Taeyeon. He watched as the woman hesitantly toasted her glass with his.

 

“The Kangs and the Lees married in 2010, uniting Jeju Island and South Chungcheong. They are currently residing in Daegu, and they are expecting us the day after next. Jiyong can't come though. He'd still be in Tokyo at that time.”

 

“But he knows we found the third couple?” wondered Taeyeon, putting down her drink. Yet he's still on vacation mode with her...

 

TOP followed suit and let go of the drink. He watched Kim Taeyeon with curiosity and silence. Tonight was the first time they've been alone together, yet he didn't feel any shyness or tension at all. He told himself he'd try to get to know the woman who sounded so important to Tiffany Hwang. By the sound of Fany's stories, it seemed Taeyeon was the closest friend she had, a sister, a soulmate.

 

“You don't want to call off the engagement, do you?” he concluded, giving Taeyeon a piercing stare that she couldn't escape. He even let his chin rest on one of his palms while his elbow rested on the bar table.

 

“Stephanie's right. You really can't lie with those piercing eyes,” Taeyeon observed, looking back at the man with the same intensity.

 

“You two talk about me?”

 

“I'm her best friend, so of course we talk about the man she's coaching in courting her.”

 

“What a shame for man like me, goodness.”

 

“Don't worry, everyone in SNSD thinks you’re cute.”

 

“So all the SNSD members know?”

 

Taeyeon burst out laughing, finally taking a sip of her wine.

 

“One tip: when Stephanie Hwang really likes a guy, she talks about him nonstop. Not only to SNSD, but to all her friends. That includes probably more than half the music industry.”

 

With a widened mouth and surprised eyes, TOP replied, “Whoa, and I've been walking with swag and a head high in all my broadcast recordings, when in truth, everyone knows I'm Mr. Shy Guy. Oh Lord.”

 

Taeyeon just giggled again. This time, it became her turn to raise her glass first. TOP gladly clinked his glass with hers. Almost at the same time, they drank.

 

“Don't hurt her, okay? She has been hurt enough. My girl deserves a happy fairytale ending.”

 

“I love her.”

 

“What?! You love her?!” exclaimed Taeyeon, almost choking as she was currently sipping from her glass. “Oh my god!!!”

 

“Don't tell her yet.”

 

“I think I'm going to cry.”

 

“Keep this between us for now, please.”

 

“I promise. Gosh, I'm so happy for you two!” happily doted Taeyeon, pouring them both more of the wine.

 

“What about you and Jiyong?” asked Seunghyun.

 

This time, Taeyeon's smile quickly faded. Coldly, she mumbled, “What about us?”

 

“Why were you both sad when I told you about the third couple? Fany and I have discussed this, and we both believe neither of you wants to escape the arranged marriage.”

 

Kim Taeyeon scoffed dismissively. Shaking her head, she explained, “If I'm sad about anything, it's our families. I'm afraid they'd take it hard, because they love each other very much. Even if it's just a short time, they've invested a lot of time and emotions in this arranged marriage. I'm just praying their health won't suffer when Jiyong and I finally renounce the engagement.”

 

But Kim Taeyeon's half-truths were so palpable she could taste it while she talked. There was another side to her struggles that she hasn't voiced out yet.

 

“Can I ask you something?” wondered TOP.

 

“Sure.”

 

“Why haven't you told him you've broken up with Baekhyun?”

 

Of course Tiffany Hwang shared even that fact with the man. Taeyeon wasn't concerned about it at all. After all, Choi Seunghyun had been with her and Jiyong, planning their escape, since day one. Not to mention her best friend really liked the guy.

 

“I guess I have too many ideals and fantasies,” she confessed.

 

“So what's the fairytale ending you have in mind?”

 

“Honestly, my only wish is for Jiyong and me to stop lying to ourselves and to our families. Wherever that brings us, I wouldn't mind, no matter how hurtful. I'm just so tired of lying.”

 

Taeyeon was surprised when the man laughed. He raised his glass to her again, and she watched him empty it in one go.

 

“You're still evading the specifics, Miss Kim. But I won't force it out of you. Just know that sometimes, it's okay for the woman to take the first step.”

 

“Says the man who's letting Stephanie Hwang take the driver's seat,” Taeyeon teased, also chuckling.

 

“Just saying,” TOP answered, smiling and shrugging.

 

*

 

SM Town Theatre, CoEx

District of Nongdaemun, Gyeonggi Province

 

Kim Hyoyeon was having the time of her life on stage, celebrating her 27th birthday with thousands of fans. Kim Taeyeon and the six other members of SNSD watched backstage. They themselves prepared a surprise cake for their member.

 

It was Taeyeon who prepared everything, because she needed something to keep her busy. The last few days passed by uneventfully, and yet her mind and heart were far from calm. The Kwons and the Kims were expecting their presence in the Kwon pension house tonight. As the time to end their engagement came closer, her fears became more about their families than her own heartbreak.

 

“Hi there,” a familiar voice said, and Taeyeon's heart dropped as she recognized it.

 

Turning around, she saw that Kwon Jiyong entered the backstage room, carrying bundles of balloons and wearing Hyoyeon's party hat. She read the balloon slogans, and some said “Happy Beerday Hyo!” and “#LionHeart14crowns.”

 

“Congratulations,” he greeted with a small smile, letting the balloons out in the air.

 

“Thanks,” Taeyeon answered sternly, busying herself again with the cake.

 

Conveniently, everyone has left her in the room that was once filled with SNSD and the staff. She was sure this was Tiffany's doing.

 

“Long time no see,” Jiyong said.

 

“Three days, to be specific,” Taeyeon fought all the urge to comment something sarcastic about him and Audrie.

 

“You didn't call or text me,” Jiyong brought out, coming close and positioning himself before the cake so that Taeyeon couldn't avoid him.

 

“I didn't want to disturb your vacation with Audrie.”

 

To her surprise, Jiyong held her wrist in an attempt to get her attention.

 

“We have to talk,” he demanded, and Taeyeon stopped to look him in the eye. The man was wearing a poker face, and she read the frustration in his eyes. Jiyong continued, “I heard you and TOP confirmed the couple in Daegu.”

 

That's when Taeyeon decided to take a different approach. Jiyong didn't sound like he was glad about the third couple, just like TOP shared. She then forced a smile, and focused on Jiyong.

 

“We found the three couples. Turns out the sacrifice of our generation is already complete,” she exclaimed with fake cheerfulness.

 

She walked away from the table that housed the cake, and she chose to sit in one of the small couches. As expected, Jiyong joined her and sat on the adjacent chair.

 

“I guess the only thing left is to tell our elders,” Jiyong declared in a dark voice.

 

“It only took us three months to find our escape,” Taeyeon continued her forced happiness, wearing a fake smile as she spoke. “Aren't we good? Kudos to TOP and Fany. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't make it out.”

 

But Kwon Jiyong didn't reciprocate her energy. He only looked at her sadly, which caused her to feel awkward about her acting. Taeyeon's smile faded too.

 

“Do you remember the first time you heard about the arranged marriage?” Jiyong wondered, looking at her with sincere eyes.

 

It only took that question to put a genuine smile on Taeyeon's face. She remembered that very day, the time exactly, who said what, and what was announced. As she recalled the memory, she couldn't help but giggle quietly.

 

Jiyong continued, chuckling as he said, “I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to ever exist.”

 

“I was so angry, and I even cried to my parents,” Taeyeon shared, smiling as she reminisced the conversation she had with her mom and dad, and how much she cried and protested against the tradition.

 

“Gramps shouted at me and hit me with his cane,” shared Jiyong. “And when I learned you were my fiancé, I honestly believed SM and YG set us up for a new variety show.”

 

The two laughed together, and Taeyeon finally let go of her indifference. They ended up staring each other in the eyes. Feeling the uncomfortable tension of the unsaid words, Taeyeon found the need to get up and walk around the room. She couldn't bear to just sit there, unmoving, while her stomach squirmed with either butterflies or vomit. She paced around the room, breathing in and out.

 

“Can you believe it's been almost four months since then?” Taeyeon asked, trying to lighten the heavy mood. She forced another smile, but the emotion behind it was genuine. “We've spent an awful lot of time together. We've grown so close. I can't even believe it up to now. I mean... who would? I'm Taeyeon, and you're G-dragon.”

 

“I really like you, Taeyeon,” Kwon Jiyong cut her off, which caused her to stop walking.

 

She froze, and it was fortunate that her back was on him. Her face was covered in shock, and her eyes opened wide. Did he just say he likes me? Oh my god. She couldn't decide if those were the right words she'd been waiting for. Was the man finally being the Prince Charming she deserved? She became utterly speechless, unmoving.

 

“I really like you too,” she responded instinctively.

 

When she caught herself saying those words, she immediately stopped and covered . Did I just say I like him too? Oh no, oh no, oh my god!!! But it was too late, because what's been said had already been said, and clearly it was heard. She heard Jiyong move behind her, and she was positive the man was fast approaching her.

 

But if there was anything that ate her up inside, it was the lack of the romance. The words I really like you couldn't be any more perfect. But why weren't there music and fireworks? Taeyeon already confirmed those magical things existed, because they happened when she and Jiyong almost kissed. So where were they now? He just said he really likes me, but why is there no music to waltz to, or fireworks to marvel at?

 

“I hope we can continue being friends, even after the dusts have settled,” Jiyong announced, sounding closer than ever. When she felt his presence by the way her body hairs froze, she knew that if she turned around, they'd be breaths apart.

 

That explained the absence of the magical music and fireworks — the moment wasn't right, the place wasn't right, the words weren't right.

 

“I'd like that. After all, TOP and Tiffany would soon be in a relationship. We'd be like in-laws,” Taeyeon responded, laughing. She turned around, and she was right, Kwon Jiyong was just there, breaths apart.

 

To her dismay, to her sorrow, Jiyong didn't smile, or said any word. In fact, he just looked at her with the saddest eyes, and this made her feel nauseous with misery. When Jiyong didn't look away, when he didn't remove that dark and sorrowful emotion painted on his face, Taeyeon finally lost it all. The tears came.

 

“I hope our elders find it in their hearts to forgive us. I've never seen my grandpa that close with a friend,” Taeyeon cried, shaking her head. She immediately wiped her eyes and looked down. Silently sobbing, she continued, “I love your family so much too. I really don't want to hurt them.”

 

“Oh honey, come here,” Jiyong mumbled, taking her in his arms. She collapsed in his chest, and she felt the man wrap his arms around her very tightly.

 

Her voice buried in his chest, she muttered, “Let's go to Dolce Vita as soon as possible. I just want everything to pass.”

 

Taeyeon felt Jiyong's mouth on top of her head, and he shushed her. The two basked in the moment, and so they didn't even notice that the room's door opened, revealing their intimacy to the SNSD members and staff.

 

“Taeyeon...”

 

“Jiyong...”

 

Whoever called them successfully separated the two. Shocked, they parted ways, and Taeyeon's crying face was revealed to her friends.

 

“What's wrong?”

 

“What happened?”

 

“Why are you crying?”

 

Tiffany answered for the two, saying, “They're calling off the engagement tonight.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Why?!

 

“Really?!”

 

Taeyeon nodded while wiping her face. She answered, “Seunghyun and Fany found the third couple. We're presenting the facts to our elders later.”

 

It was Sunny who stepped forward first, taking Taeyeon in her arms. “I'm so sorry Tae.”

 

“Is there anything we can do for you?” Seohyun asked, also stepping forward to hug her.

 

“No. Thanks for asking,” Taeyeon told her friends.

 

“I feel so sad that I'm not able to ease all your pains,” Yoona very sweetly commented, crying with her elder friend. Pretty soon, all the seven members have crowded around Taeyeon.

 

“First, you broke up with Baekhyun. Now, you're breaking up with the Kwon family. I'm so sorry Tae-Tae,” comforted Sooyoung, near tears.

 

Taeyeon didn't expect her friend to blurt out the fact of the matter — that Baekhyun wasn't her boyfriend anymore. She tensed up, and immediately pulled herself away from the girls' embrace.

 

“C-can you accompany me to the ladies?” she asked them, and she addressed her fiancé. “Excuse us Jiyong.”

 

Without even waiting for the man's response, she quickly walked towards the door, and the other girls followed suit. Awkwardly, the staff also left the room, because they didn't want to be left with G-dragon.

 

Tiffany Hwang opted to stay with the outsider. After all, the well-kept secret had just been revealed.

 

“She broke up with Baekhyun?” Jiyong clarified, confu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter