Grammar | One

Writing Therapy

Grammar One | Misused Words

Okay, folks. First lesson: grammar. If you want to be able to have your reader understand what you're writing, you need to know grammar. I know if English isn't your first language, this will be hard. But find someone who can beta or proofread your story. Go search the Internet. Just do something about it. Readers like me will thank you. 

1. there | their | they're

These words are used everywhere. And not correctly here on AFF. The difference:

"There" indicates location.

"Their" indicates possession, ownership.

"They're" is short for "they are".

Examples of the words being used correctly: There are two cakes. I went to their house. They're at the store.

Examples of the words being used incorrectly: Their are five cakes. I went to there house. Their at the store.

How to remember? "There" contains the word "here", which indicates location. "Their" contains the word "heir", as in inherit. A person will inherit or take ownership. "They're" is just one that I've beaten into my brain. If you've got the first two, you can distinguish the third.

2. it's | its

Oh boy. This is a huge thing, especially for me. So you know apostrophes? These denote contractions or possession. This is the one very infuriating exception.

"It's" is short for it is. It does NOT indicate possession. 

The beach had it's shores cleaned. This is bad.

The beach had its shores cleaned. This is good.

"Its" indicates possession. Remember, usually an apostrophe means possession but not in the case with "it".

The nail polish bottle spilled its contents.

I lost the correct part for its assembly.

3. to | too | two

There is a difference between these three.

"To" is a preposition, usually used with a verb. I went to the store. I'm going to work.

"Too" can mean "also" or "as well" or "a lot". I'm coming to the store too. There is too much rain.

"Two" is a number or an amoount. I ate two cakes. I need two books for school.

I don't really have any tips for "two" but if it helps, don't use the word "two" if it confuses you. You can substitute the number, 2, instead. But if you do, remember to use numbers throughout the entire piece. I remember "too" by thinking the t has two o's, thus it means a lot. Because two is more than one, hahah never mind.

4. then | than

Because these two look similar it is hard for people to know that they are different.

"Then" shows a cause and effect: because this happened, then this happened. The rain poured and then plants grew. I have to read a book then write a report.

"Than" indicates a comparison, as in doing more or less. I ran faster than her. The dog ate more food than the cat.

To tell them apart, I always think "then" has an 'e' which stands for effect. Then I know "than" is comparison. Simple, it's just a matter of elimination.

5. accept | except

I see these two being mixed up so much I wince each time I see it. My sister likes to pronounce it weird as well so it's even worse.

"Accept" means to take or receive something offered. My dream college accepted me. I accept the fact that I failed.

"Except" is to exclude. I love everyone except him. My friends invited the whole school except me.

I think of the 'x' in "except" as in saying no. So the word "except" is saying no, meaning it is excluding.

6. affect | effect

Okay, there is only one letter difference but it is a difference.

"Affect" means to change something, to influence. It is a verb. The water affected the experiment. His actions affect his impression of others.

"Effect" is the result of a change or influence. It is a noun. He has that effect on others. The effect of wearing braces is straighter teeth.

I remember the 'a' in "affect" comes before 'e' in "effect". Thus the changes or influences come before the result. The result occurs because some changes happen first.

7. your | you're

This, this is the shocker, the mother lode of them all. I will see this, everywhere I go. At school, on AFF, everywhere.

"Your" indicates possession. Remember "its"? This is another exception. I took your pencil. She stole your muffin.

"You're" is short for "you are". If you can substitute "you are" into the sentence and it sounds fine, use "you're". If not, it should be "your". You're a good friend. You're an awesome reader.