Epilogue

Thr33
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 years later

 

Kim Doyeon exhaled deeply as the bus finally stopped. She grabbed her luggage in the overhead compartment, bowed to the bus driver and got out of the bus. She looked at her clock which showed 5.30 p.m and was glad that it wasn't too dark.

"Finally" she muttered to herself and her jaw dropped as she first saw the campus. City people are seriously mad, Doyeon shook her head in disbelieve. Why did they build so massive buildings anyway, who would clean all these and besides how should she find her dorm? She took out the admission's paper again. Dorm 3 room 393.  She sighed and walked across the parking lot. She felt a bit envy as she saw other new students walking with their families. She is the first person in the family who got into college and who wanted to go to study. Coming from a small farming village in southern, they only concentrate on farming, the guys continue their family farm and the women hope to marry a guy who owns a big farm. Everybody in the village thought that Doyeon had lost her mind as she applied at the university. It was a long very lonely bus ride, but Kim Doyeon was determined to be a lawyer and pursue her life outside the village.

 

After asking a few people, she finally reached dorm 3. She took the lift to the third floor and dragged her luggage along the corridor to look for her room. As she saw '393' on the door, she heard laughter from inside the room. It must be her roommate with her family. She memorized her name already "Jiyoon Liu" - Kim Doyeon guessed her father must be Chinese and her mother Korean, hence the name. She knocked on the door and slowly entered the room. On the bed sat a very pretty girl around her age, that must be Jiyoon. A middle age man on the right must be the Chinese father, although he looks really Korean to her. There is a very very beautiful woman in the middle who resembles Jiyoon a lot, Kim Doyeon guessed that must be Jiyoon's older sister but it wasn't her that caught her attention. As Kim Doyeon laid her eyes on the man next to the pretty woman in the middle, her heart beat so fast. She never saw a man that handsome. He was wearing a cap, a white shirt, blue jeans with a black leather jacket. As he saw her, he smiled and it was the most beautiful smile Kim Doyeon ever saw in her life. She gulped and then nodded to the family in front of her. 

Doyeon nodded and the whole family nodded back.

"You must be Kim Doyeon" the girl grinned and waved "I am Liu Jiyoon and this is my family."

"Hello" Doyeon waved back and was glad that her roommate seemed to be very nice. She was afraid that she could be a snob, pretty girls are mostly are but this Liu Jiyoon felt warm and friendly. Her whole family gave a warm vibe too.

 

"We better go," the woman said, "Sweetheart, don't forget to write and call. Eat well and stay warm. It's getting colder." she hugged the girl and kissed her on the cheeks.

"Noona, I'll miss you" 

Kim Doyeon turned her head to see who said that and saw a little boy hugging the girl. She didn't see him as she came into the room. The boy continued  while still hugging the girl tightly "You won't miss my concert, right?"

"You know I won't." the girl cupped the boy cheek "I won't miss it for the world. Besides the concert starts a few days after winter vacation begin, so I'll already be at home. I love you so much, Fynn."

"I love you too, noona," the boy said.

The woman took the boy's hand and he hid on the woman's back. Trying to hide his tears from the girl. 

After that, the middle age man hugged the girl and said his goodbye. Kim Doyeon opened her luggage and tried to arrange her things on her side of the room as she heard the handsome man said 

"You be good, kiddo. Call me if there's anything you need, okay?" he ruffled the girl's hair "You know we love you, right?"

"I love you guys, too. And I'll miss you. And I'll call home so much that you'll be begging me to stop" the girl giggled.

The handsome guy laughed and placed his hand on the pretty woman's waist. Ah, so he's her husband and the boy must be their son. Funny that the little boy called the girl 'noona' instead of auntie. 

All four of them turned around and each nodded to Doyeon before they left the room. Her heart raced again as the handsome man smiled at her. She tried not to stare at the little boy's eyes because they were so pale, they were almost white. 

 

"I'm going to go to the car with you," Jiyoon said and got up from her bed.

The pretty woman said "You don't have to, just unpack your things and get to know your roommate. Bye, honey"

Jiyoon stood at the door and waved to her family before she turned around to Doyeon. She grinned and said "Sorry about that, they insisted to take me here."

"No problem" Doyeon grinned back "I would like to have my family take me here too"

"Your family isn't here?" Jiyoon lifted her eyebrow

"No. I took the bus from home" Doyeon said

"All alone?" Jiyoon was surprised "Where do you live?"

"A small village in Gangjin county," Doyeon said, "You know where that is?"

Jiyoon smiled awkwardly "Somewhere south, around Honam, but I am not sure where that is"

"At least you knew that it was in the south" Doyeon laughed "Most people haven't even heard the place. My whole family are farmers and today is the first day to plant rice, so no one could come with me"

"Wow, farming" Jiyoon said and took her T-shirts from her luggage "Sounds interesting"

Doyeon laughed "Said the city people. You are from Seoul, I reckon"

"Yup," Jiyoon laughed "Never left Seoul before."

"Why don't you just go to a university in Seoul? There are plenty of it" Doyeon looked at Jiyoon. 

"And now you sound like my mom" Jiyoon chuckled, "I think it's a good opportunity for me to try to be independent and make new friends. It was endless discussions with her before she finally let me come here"

"Everybody in the village thinks that I am possessed to want to go to the university" Doyeon rolled her eyes, which made Jiyoon laughed out loud. 

"It's not easy to be different, eh? Jiyoon said, "Your family has been farmers for generations, I reckon?"

"Yeah, there were some men who went to study but all of them went back to the village after sometimes and ended up continuing the family's farms. I am the first woman who applied to university." Doyeon explained

"Respect" Jiyoon smiled to her new roommate "To celebrate being away from home, what do you say we go to the bathroom and take a shower. I heard they have whirlpool"

"No way" Doyeon's eyes went big "I only saw those in the movies"

"Grab your clothes and let's go" Jiyoon hooked her arm with Doyeon and they giggled together as they made their way to the bathroom. 

 

 

They got to know some freshman in the bathroom and took time to get to know each other. After the bath, they all went to the cafeteria and had dinner together. It was already dark as they got back to their room.

"I'm happy" Doyeon suddenly said as they were making their beds, getting ready to get some sleep.

"About what?" Jiyoon asked

"That I have a nice roommate. As I first saw you, I was afraid that you might be one of those snobbish girls. All pretty girls I knew were kind of mean" Doyeon climbed on her bed

Jiyoon laughed "Well, you don't have to worry about that because I don't belong in the category pretty girls anyway"

"You don't have to be modest with me, you know" Kim Doyeon got up and looked at her roommate 

Jiyoon shook her head "I'm not. I am NOT pretty"

Doyeon rolled her eyes "If you say that you are not pretty, that you must have something in your eyes or you really do have a very low esteem"

"I..." Jiyoon opened but she couldn't finish her sentence because Doyeon already said

"Even your family is so beautiful, every one of them. Your dad, your sister is unbelievably pretty, your little nephew. And your brother in law" Doyeon placed her hand on her chest remembering how his smile was "OMG, if we had someone as handsome as he is in our village, I would stay and be a farmer forever"

Jiyoon frowned and blinked repeatedly "Sorry, my dad and my eh, brother in law?"

"Yeah," Doyeon said "I bet your little nephew is going to be very handsome once he reached puberty. It is so unfair how beautiful woman and handsome man always fell in love with each other and made beautiful children. By the way, why does your little nephew call you 'Noona' instead of 'Auntie'?"

Jiyoon tried to understand Doyeon's mind before she figured out that she must have mistaken Amber as a guy. Jiyoon laughed so loud, surprising Doyeon.

 

"What?" Doyeon asked. She felt a little bit irritated at how Jiyoon laughed

"I hate to break it to you but that was not my brother in law" Jiyoon was still laughing

"No?" Doyeon's eyes got big again "I assumed so with the way he wrapped his arms around your sister. OMG is he your brother? Is he single? What is the possibility of me being your sister in law?"

Jiyoon was rolling on her bed, laughing so much because of the misunderstanding.

"What? What?" Doyeon was curious what made Jiyoon laughed like that.

Jiyoon wiped her tears from laughing "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but unless you want to wait 15 years until my little brother reach adulthood, there is no chance for you to become my sister in law"

"What?" This time Doyeon was confused

Jiyoon grinned "The little boy isn't my nephew but my brother. The man you thought my dad is actually my grandpa and the woman you thought my sister is my umma" 

"Omg," Doyeon clapped her forehead with her hand "You mean....I just hit on your dad?"

Jiyoon had this huge grin on her face as she said "No, actually you just hit on my mom"

"Excuse me?" Doyeon's jaw dropped. She rubbed her ears; she was certain that he heard wrong.

"That hot guy" Jiyoon was still grinning "is my mom"

Doyeon rubbed her ears again 

"You heard it right. She's my mom, my adoptive mom. A woman." Jiyoon explain

"You are kidding me, right?" Doyeon's mouth was wide opened in disbelieve.

"Nope," Jiyoon chuckled "My family is one of a kind. It's a very long story"

"I don't have class until 11. Please explain" Doyeon was intrigued. 

 

That night, Jiyoon told Doyeon about her family, about her mom, her umma, her little brother, her grandpa, her grandma who still refuses to acknowledge them. Doyeon repeatedly shook her head and her eyes went as big as saucers as Jiyoon was telling her the story.

As Jiyoon was finished, Doyeon said "And I thought those things only happen in movies"

Jiyoon laughed "Nope, such things exist"

"You city people are so confusin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter