2016 - 02.11

Thr33
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal was still holding the door, her brain couldn't decide what to do and what to say.

"Krys..." Amber approached her "Who is it?"

Amber was surprised as she saw who it was at the front door but she managed to control herself and bowed deeply to the man on the door

The man bowed back to Amber before looking back at his daughter.

"Krys" Amber touched Krystal's hand, the latter startled but wasn't able to say anything.

Mr. Jung looked at his daughter, seeing her reaction, he regretted that he has come. "I'm sorry to bother you, I'm going to excuse myself," he said and turned around to leave.

Amber wanted to stop him, but she knows that it was Krystal's decision and not hers. Krystal finally woke up from her steady state and said "Appa, no. Don't go. Would you like to come in?"

Mr. Jung turned back around and slowly nodded "I would love that"

Amber smiled at him and opened the door "Please"

 

"Umma, is that Yerim's mom? She's so early" Jiyoon popped up on the door. Both Mr.Jung and Jiyoon were surprised seeing each other again. 

"Grandpa?" Jiyoon still couldn't believe her eyes.

Mr.Jung squeezed his hat as he heard what Jiyoon called him. Grandpa. She just called her grandpa.

"Please come in," Amber said again.

It was a little awkward at first as they sat down in the living room. Jiyoon kept on looking at Krystal, confused what to say because she felt that her umma is sad.

Mr. Jung was the first to start a conversation "I am sorry to show up like this"

Amber showed him a smile, saying that she didn't mind.

"I think a lot of you since you last came to the house, Soojungie" he continued 

Krystal flinched a little as he called her Soojung.

"You look so much like your mother as she was your age," Mr. Jung said to Jiyoon

Jiyoon nodded "Mom said that too"

Mr. Jung turned to look at Amber and nodded to show his appreciation. There was another silence.

"What can I do for you, Appa?" Krystal weakly said, "Did Umma send you here?"

 

"No," he said "I want to see you. I want to see Jiyoon. She doesn't know that I am here"

It was already surprising for Krystal knowing that her Appa was doing something without telling her umma. The appa she knew never did anything without her umma's permission, he never even stopped her from hurting her, hurting unnie.

"Umma didn't know?" Krystal repeated

"I know I have done nothing for you. I know the mistakes I did is unforgivable but I still want to try. I know I am being selfish to want you and Jiyoon in my life. I just... I'm so..."

"You don't have to apologize, Appa" Krystal said

"Soojung..."

Suddenly the doorbell rang.

"It must be Yerim. I'll get the door and you get ready, ok?" Amber said to Jiyoon

"Okay" the girl wasn't keen to leave but she obeyed Amber.

 

Amber left to get the door while Jiyoon grabbed her bag and put on her shoes. She approached Mr. Jung and said "I hope you come and visit again, Grandpa"

Mr. Jung clenched her teeth to prevent him stop shading a tear. The happiness of being called 'Grandpa' by a child he hurt, a child he separated from her own mother was overwhelming. 

"I hope so too," he said to the girl.

"Goodbye, Grandpa" Jiyoon smiled to him

"Goodbye, Jiyoonie"

The girl approached Krystal and kissed her on the cheek "Goodbye, umma"

"Goodbye, sweetheart. Have fun" Krystal said

Jiyoon nodded "I will. Hug baby from me."

"I will. We'll pick you up at 4, okay" Krystal kissed Jiyoon's forehead

Jiyoon ran to the door to Amber, who lifted her and spun her around.

"Goodbye, kiddo. Go break the world record" Amber ruffled Jiyoon's hair

The girl giggled "I might just do that. Love you mom"

"Love you, kiddo"

Amber bowed to Yerim's mom and thanked her for taking Jiyoon to the practice before closed the door and came back to sit next to Krystal.

 

"She's... doing sport?" Mr. Jung hesitantly asked

"Yeah," Amber said proudly, "She's really good at track and field, especially on 100 m and high jump"

"I used to do track and field too when I was young," Mr. Jung said

"Oh, really?" Amber found it amusing "I bet she got that from you"

Mr.Jung looked happy hearing it but his face went back gloomy as he saw how cold Krystal was. "I think I should go," he said "Thank you for letting me in"

"Appa" Krystal said "I am not angry at you. But I am trying to understand why all of the sudden you showed up at our place"

"Soojung, I want my daughter back. And I would like to get to know my granddaughter"

"And then what?" Krystal was holding her tears "You are going to come back in my life, playing a good father, a good grandfather until what? Until Umma found out and then you are going to disappear again from our life?"

"I... would never do that" the middle old man answered

"Appa, you have never done anything wrong to me, or to Jiyoon. The only thing you didn't do was to stand out for me. And this time, if I let you in in our life, if Jiyoon got used to having you as her grandpa, what if Umma found out and forbid you to see us again? I don't mind you hurting me, but I would never let you hurt my daughter"

Mr. Jung inhaled deeply "I understand your concern. I can say a lot of things but I know you won't believe me. If you give me a chance, I will try to be a better father to you. A grandfather Jiyoon can be proud of"

Krystal didn't say anything, she just looked at the clock "Amber and I have an appointment today. You need to leave"

Amber looked at her girlfriend "I can go by myself. I'll call you when he's done. Just stay here with your father"

"No," Krystal said.

"But, Krys" Amber tried to reason with her

"It's okay, Amber-shii. I have to go anyway. Thank you for your hospitality" Mr. Jung got up

 

Krystal and Amber followed him to the door 

"Goodbye," he said at the door

Amber bowed before saying "Goodbye, Mr. Jung"

Krystal didn't say anything which made Mr. Jung sad but he could understand Krystal's reaction. He nodded again before turned around.

"Appa" Krystal called him "I'm not making up excuses. Amber and I really need to go to an appointment. If you have time, you can come this Sunday. We always have late breakfast on Sundays. Around 10?"

Amber was so proud of Krystal at that moment. Mr. Jung looked at her daughter, he couldn't hold up his tears anymore. He wiped his tears and nodded "Sunday sounds good."

"See you on Sunday then, Appa" Krystal smiled

"Yes. I won't be late. I promised" Mr. Jung had a wide smile on his face. After all these years he finally felt happy again. He knew it would take time to gain Krystal's trust again after all he had done. He couldn't be more grateful that at least she gave him a chance to do that.

 

Amber turned around to Krystal and whispered: "I love you."

Krystal placed her head on Amber's chest and wrapped her arms around Amber's waist "Everybody deserves a second chance, right?"

"Yes" Amber kissed the top of Krystal's head "Now let's go see our big guy"

 

They drove to the hospital and waited for Dr. Kim. Not long after Dr. Kim came out of the NICU and greeted the couple.

"Miss Jung, Miss Liu" he shook their hands

"How is he?" Krystal said

"He's fine, recovering from the operation but he did well. He's stable. You can go in and visit him soon" Dr. Kim smiled "He's been showing good progress so far. He gained weight, his bloodwork is excellent. I really hope we can make faster progress after today, with tracheostomy it's easier to teach him to breathe on his own"

"That sounds great" Krystal and Amber are both excited about the progress.

"The only thing that made me a bit worry is that his eyes still don't show any reaction to light. I mean I think there is nothing to be worry about right now. There are babies, especially premature ones who develop the reflexes very late. We will keep you informed about that"

"Thank you, Dr. Kim" Amber said

"I think you can go inside now," the doctor said "Oh, before I forgot. May I talk about something with you two?"

Amber nodded "Sure"

"Miss Liu, Miss Jung, you two have been taking care of the baby since he got here. I just want to know, do you guys already think about what you are  going to do once he got better and able to leave the hospital?"

Amber and Krystal exchanged looks "We actually don't know, Doc" Amber answered "We have been contacting the police to see if they have new information regarding Min, I mean Miss Lee. But so far they found nothing. We talked to everyone we know, even her mother but she doesn't know where her daughter is"

"Did Miss Lee's mother show an intention to take care of her grandson?"

Amber sighed "I asked. It seemed like their relationship got worse since Min took drugs. She refused to have anything to do with the baby"

Dr. Kim nodded "What about the father of the baby? Does he know?"

"As far as I knew, Min told him that she was pregnant with his baby but he demanded a DNA-Test" Amber explained

"Getting a sample from the baby wouldn't be a problem, the alleged father just have to ask for the test and it will be done," he said

"What if he refused to do the test? Can the police or an attorney forced him to take it?" Amber asked

The doctor sighed "Unfortunately not. The only one who can force him to do the test it the biological mother of the baby and that is only for the financial matter. If he was proven as the baby's biological father, he has to pay for the child maintenance but it doesn't mean he has to take care of him. I know it doesn't sound fair but it's the law"

Amber and Krystal were bothered after hearing what the doctor said.

"I'm sorry to ask you this" the doctor continued "Have you two thought about adoption?"

Amber answered "We have been restrained ourselves because we aren't sure where we are standing right now. I would lie if I said it never came up my mind but I know adoption is a complicated process. I know because I have been through one already but it was a different situation. I don't know if the law even behind us to do this"

The doctor nodded "I understand your worries but after all the family court is always in favor of the child's needs and safety. In your position, I would contact someone from the child service and ask about the chances. If you ever need someone to testify at the family court, I would stand the trial for you."

"You would?" Amber couldn't believe her ears

"I would. I've seen what you have done for him and I know that you love that baby sincerely. I know that you guys are going to take good care of him" the doctor smiled "I better not hold you two any longer. But I hope you consider my words"

"Thank you so much" both Amber and Krystal bowed to him before leaving to see the baby.

 

That night at home, after putting Jiyoon back to sleep, Krystal was getting ready for bed, washing her face and brushing her teeth as she saw Amber was staring at the ceiling. She climbed on the bed next to her and said: "You think we have a chance?"

Amber turned to see her "Ah, my mind reading girlfriend." She grinned and pulled Krystal into her arms "I don't know. But I would like to try, at least to see if it is even possible"

"We can talk to Mrs. Seo" Krystal suggested

"Yeah, I was thinking about that too" Amber nodded "but I think I need to do something else first"

"Talk with Kai?" Krystal answered

"Wow, Miss Jung, your psychic ability scares me" Amber grinned.

"Yeah, that's why you should be careful if you decide to cheat on me" Krystal playfully pinched Amber's belly

Amber laughed and flipped Krystal on her back. She climbed on top of her "If you are that good..." Amber placed a kiss on Krystal's neck "read my mind now." She placed another kiss on Krystal's collarbone "What am I thinking about?"

Krystal chuckled as Amber planted small kisses on her collarbone "It's not PG13" she answered

"Bingo," Amber said. She reached for the remote control, dimmed the bedroom light before she kissed Krystal's ear and whispered "It's NC-17"

 

-------------

Days passed by as Amber tried to reach Kai. She went to his training hall, his house, the bar he normally hung out. She even used her connection to leave Kai a message that she needed to talk to him but even after weeks, there was no response. Around last November week, Amber heard that he went back to London, he might be back in Korea for Christmas.

Amber was frustrated because of it but the baby pro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter