Failed Prank Confession Gone Right

Failed Prank Confession Gone Right

I do not own any pictures or have an association with this show. All purely fanfic.

"And finally, it's kawaii Kawai-chan!" Yamaguchi teases, grinning like an idiot at his favorite female member. Of course, it's her last name that caught his attention on her first day. His sudden yell causes Mika to jump while hugging the crying Arisu.

"Come on, Kawaii-chan," urges Juri, joining in on the teasing. Momo gives her a slight push to remind her that it's her turn to go up to the chair. As she slowly stands up, Jesse also takes his seat near the guest and Yamaguchi.  Unlike her, Jesse seemed to show no nervousness at all.

"So for this segment, we've got Mika confessing to Jesse with her Valentine chocolates!" Yamaguchi announces. "Let's see how this pair does after the other horrific displays we had!" His words bring out a few chuckles and giggles from everyone, except Mika, who lets out a small smile. She tightens her fist, hearing Jesse's laugh over the rest of the group. Seeing this, Jesse sends her an 'are you okay' look, which she returns with a smile and 'I'm okay, just nervous'.

"Let's watch!" Yamaguchi yells, and the tape begins playing. While the others watched, Mika could feel herself going back to that day all over again.


Everyone watches patiently as Mika enters the room.

"Oh! Mika-chan! It's been a while!" Jesse greets with a grin. He then adds a cute wave, nearly making Mika's heart burst out of her chest with his adorableness.

"Un, good morning, Jesse," Mika greets back with a cute smile. She sits next to him, with one chair in between them.

"Jesse-san, and Kawai-san, today you two will be making a skit for the next episode," the staff tells them. And Mika knows this is when the true segment begins. "I'll make sure no one disturbs you two until you finish your work, so just take your time in this room." With a last secret glance toward Mika, the staff exits the room. She sneaks a  quick look at Jesse, who is already reading his papers.

"They sure have a lot for us, don't they?" he comments, pouting. It took all Mika had to not glomp him right away. Despite his mature appearance, he had such a childish personality and often made her laugh without even trying to. The gap is one of the things she liked so much about him. "Ah, I'm no good at this! That damn Yamaguchi!" He ruffles his hair wildly while Mika stifles a giggle.

Yamaguchi glares over at Jesse, who grins innocently at him while hiding behind the guest. Meanwhile everyone else is laughing and teasing Yamaguchi.

"Don't worry, I'm sure that since it's Jesse-kun, this skit will be a success," Mika praises, smiling shyly at her papers. 

"Whoo! She making the mood right!" whoops Juri, causing Mika to blush and hide her face in her hands.

"You really think so?" he asks, looking hopeful again. "I guess if it's Mika-chan by my side, this should work out nicely, right?" Jesse grins at her, full of confidence again, as Mika simply bites her lip and nods. "Alright, why don't we start by writing down ideas for skits, and then after about five minutes, we'll share our suggestions and choose one we both agree on?" 

"Un, that sounds like a plan," replies Mika, taking out a pen.Jesse quickly jots down a bunch of notes on his paper, unlike Mika, who does nothing by tap her pencil impatiently on her paper. After about two minutes, she takes a deep breath in and slams her pencil on the table, startling the poor concentrated boy next to her. "Ah! Ah, sorry for scaring you, Jesse-kun." 

"Oh, unn, don't worry about it," replies Jesse, still looking at her with wide eyes. She can feel butterflies the longer he keeps his eyes on her. If she doesn't hurry up and make this segment's confession soon, she'll definitely not have the courage to do it later. Who can think when those brown eyes are staring at you?

"Ano... Can I have a moment?" she asks. Seeing a nod, Mika bites her lip again and leans over to go through her bag. Jesse watches her curiously until she pulls out a red bag. While taking it out, Mika makes sure they don't have any eye contact at all. 'Come on, Mika, you're an actress, so pretend like he's the Jesse playing Jesse and not Jesse the Jesse!'

"Wait, is that...?" asks Jesse, but trails off as a red faced Mika places it in front of him. "Is this for me?" 

"Yes..." Mika answers shyly, nodding and staring at her lap. She watches him with a dark blush on her face, slightly hiding her face in her sleeve as he opens her bag and then the box inside.

"What? What does her chocolates look like?" asks Ken, straining over the people in front of him to see.

"Her chocolates were extremely cute," Jesse compliments and tells them while they continue asking what they look like. "It's very Mika-chan-like." Hearing this, Mika lets out a small whine and hides her face, causing Jesse to burst out laughing and nearly falling out of his chair.

"Whoa look!" cries Yamaguchi, pointing at the treats that have finally been revealed on the tape.

 

"Whoa! This is super cute!" Jesse exclaims with excitement, already drooling. "Can I eat it?" The way he asks is so just so precious. Mika opens to answer, but finds herself speechless. So instead, she nods cutely and smiles as he takes a bite of one of the small treats. 

'Do they taste good?' she asks herself mentally. 'Oh no, one of the bears look angry... I gave him angry looking bears! Quick! Jesse, put down that one and bite the angry looking one and get rid of that glare!' Mika continues finding every imperfection on her treats, but the permanent smile on Jesse's face slowly calms her down. "Do they taste okay?" As she waits for his answer, she can't help but want to slam her head on the desk, or go scream at Yamaguchi for making her do such an embarrassing confession. 'Ahhh he probably gets better chocolates from his fans, he's a Johnny's after all. There's no way my chocolates would impress him!' 

"Sorry for not replying, but they're super delicious!" Jesse gushes, shoving another chocolate tart into his mouth. His voice snaps Mika out of her thoughts, returning the smile to her face.

"They're good?" she asks again, worried that she heard him wrong. With about two tarts in his mouth, the only way Jesse can answer is by nodding his head vigorously, making Mika giggle at how cute he looked. What makes her even happier is that he praised her cooking and he's smiling like this because of her. With every bite, he exclaims "Delicious!" And with every "Delicious!", the butterflies inside her get even wilder.

"You put a lot of feelings and thought into making these, didn't you?" Jesse asks, grinning as he finishes the last tart. Nodding happily, Mika smiles at her lap, feeling proud of herself. "I can tell, they definitely reflect in the quality. Thank you, these Valentine's Day chocolates really made me happy." He pats her softly on the head.

"Ahh!" groans Jesse, blushing as he rolls his head back. "This is so embarrassing! I thought it was just the two of us!"

"That's so cute!" squeals one of the girls, and her comment is followed by agreements about Jesse's 'pon pon' on Mika's head.

Mika sits there, stiff as a statue, trying to process what just happened.

'Jesse just patted my head,' she says to herself, trying to regain her thought process. 'He patted my head! Quick! Confess and end it before you really lose it!'

"Thank you, Mika-chan," Jesse thanks one last time. 'Those eyes,' Mika thinks helplessly. 'I'm going to drown in his eyes... I have to say it now!' Unable to look at him in the eyes again, Mika begins having a staring contest with her skirt instead.

"Ne...Jesse? You make being on R no Housoku more enjoyable for me because you always make me laugh. And when I see you smile, it makes me want to smile too. I like you, Jesse-kun. Please continue to shine brightly as you always do."

 


 

"We're done!" Yamaguchi cheers, turning the TV off. Everyone claps as Mika's turn on the TV ends while she and Jesse are both sinking into their seats, whining and hiding their faces.

"That was so cute!" Momo squeals, and several others squeal along with her, making Mika pout and let out another cry.

"I know it wasn't me, but I felt my heart melt at that myself," Juri claims, staring at the camera wide-eyed. Everyone laughs at his silliness while one of the guys knock him on the back of the head.

"And now, Maeda-sensei, please tell us Mika-chan's results!" requests Yamaguchi.

"Let's start," she announces, taking the seat in front of Mika. Everyone, especially Mika and Jesse listen to the teacher with attentative ears. "First off, you tend to shy away and made little eye contact with him. That's a minus because it makes the other person feel as if you aren't sincere with them."

"Oh, I see," Mika says quietly, pouting a bit.

"But I really did feel like she was sincere," Jesse speaks up, defending her. "Like when she said why she likes me, it really made it feel like it's her sincere feelings. And I liked that she was shy about it. It gave off a cute feeling and made me happy because it seems like she gathered all her courage just to do that."

"Oh, I did," Mika sighs aloud by accident, causing everyone to laugh. 

"I told you! Kawai-chan is kawaii!" Yamaguchi bellows, rising more laughter.

"Ah I see, so you managed to match Jesse-san's ideal confession," giggles Maeda-sensei. "And moving on, the thing that really stands out with your confession is like Jesse said, your reasons of why you like him." Everyone nods, paying close attention. "It was good that you still gave him space as he ate and ended with a request for him to keep shining rather than asking for a change in your relationship." 

"Ah I see, so because she confessed while giving Jesse space, it's considered a plus?" analyzes Yamaguchi, nodding.

"Yes, that's it," answers Maeda before turning to Jesse. "And what about you? Did she touch your heart?"

"Well to be honest, I had a feeling her confession isn't real," Jesse says slowly. Gasps and exclamations are heard from all over the room, so Jesse quickly speaks up again. "I don't mean it in a bad way! I mean I knew this was a set up since Mika-chan doesn't seem like the type who'd confess during work."

"Oh, that makes sense," Fuji says.

"But I was really surprised when I saw how much effort she put into this," Jesse adds. "So it made my heart melt slightly when she confessed, even though I know it was just a set up."

"So you're saying she succeeded?" asks Yamaguchi, for confirmation.

"Yes, she definitely succeeded," he answers, smiling toward the blushing Mika. Jesse praising her will definitely be the death of her one day. "If this wasn't a set up, I'd say that's my ideal confession from a girl." This line is immediately responded with squeals from the girls and gasps and exclamations from the guys.

"But since Jesse figured out it's a set up, this is considered a failed challenge," Yamaguchi says with remorse. "Sorry, Kawaii-chan."

"Ah, sorry!" Jesse groans, clapping his hands together while facing her. Mika lets out a small giggle, shaking her head to tell him it's okay.

"So this is what your tape told me about you," Maeda says, silencing the group again. "You're the type who is very innocent in relationships and you'd prefer the man to lead. In return, you'd give him all your effort and just want to see him smile."

"That sounds very accurate!" gasps Momo, laughing. "She does that with friends too! Maeda-sensei is amazing!"

"Alright, well thank you for watching, that's the end of today's episode," Yamaguchi says and begins wrapping up the episode. The director finally yells cut and they finish filming.

 


 

"Mika-chan!" Mika turns around to see Jesse running towards her. She groans inwardly, but keeps a smile on her face. "Let's walk to the station together!"

"Jesse-kun," she greets. "Sorry about that, that must've been so embarrassing for you." However Jesse continues grinning at her.

"You still like me, don't you?" he asks, grin growing. He bursts out laughing at the sight of Mika's tomato face. 

"Stop laughing," Mika pouts, biting her lip again.

"You know, you're a great actress and yet you're a horrible one at the same time," comments Jesse, tilting her chin to make her look at him again. "You're not good at hiding your feelings. In fact, everything that goes through your mind appears right on your face. So since you like me and it's Valentine's Day, why don't you confess to me again? I don't want a fake confession that's filmed. I want a real one from you."

"Why? You said no last time," Mika reminds him, avoiding his eyes again. 

"Well it's been half a year since then," informs Jesse. "So why not try again? It might be different this time." She didn't know if she should believe him or not. He had that playful smirk on again, but Jesse isn't the type to play with someone's feelings. Mustering up her strength again, Mika takes in a deep breath and opens .

"Jesse, I really like you," Mika breathes out, hands shaking from how nerve wracking that was. The smile on his face grows even wider if it's possible and he affectionately pats her on the head again. A few minutes pass as they walk, and Mika's butterflies grow at an unbearing speed while Jesse continues walking as if nothing happened. Finally she's had enough. Mika ignores her nerves and grabs his hand. "So? What's your answer?"

"I don't know," Jesse says, making her heart sink slightly. Sensing her change in mood, he turns around. "Just kidding, I know, but you won't." Mika looks up at him confused. "At least, not for another month. I'll give you my answer on White Day, okay?" 

"Wait, what?" asks Mika, unable to process what he's saying.

"Girls confess on Valentine's Day and guys confess on White Day, right?" asks Jesse, looking at her with a playful look.  Mika feels her breath getting caught in . "Oy, breathe." He playfully claps her on the back.

"Wait, Jesse, does that mean...?"  Mika questions, blushing madly again.

"Who knows," teases the older boy, smirking at her innocent, embarrassed face. "But I guess I can give you a hint of what my answer will be." Before Mika can understand what's happening, Jesse pulls her in for a hug and pecks her on her forehead. She lets out a small squeak as he laughs at her again. "Come on, let's return together."

 


White Day


 

It nearly killed Mika that month, knowing that Jesse will answer her in a positive way yet he continues to play the tsundere prince with her by treating her as a regular friend in front of others. Yet when no one is watching, he would send some looks her way, constantly reminding her of his hint to her. When the two are seated next to each other for shows, Jesse would sometimes purposely brush his fingers against her just to see her tense up or blush.While it was amusing to him, it felt like torture to her. Finally the promised day is here and Mika waits patiently for Jesse's answer.

However throughout the whole day, Jesse continues treating her as he did that month, teasing her through their secret exchanges. She exits the building with a pout. Suddenly someone spins her around and kabe-dons her to the wall.

"Jesse!" she gasps, putting her hand to her heart. "You scared me! I thought I was going to be kidnapped or something!"

"Sorry," chuckles Jesse, patting her head again. Their close proximity takes Mika's breath away as she inhales a whiff of Jesse's cologne. Slowly he takes out a small box, about the same size as the one Mika gave him for the confession video. He leaves it in her palms, where she continues staring at it without moving. "Go on, open it." 

"Oh, right!" gasps Mika, struggling to undo its ribbon. Jesse can't help but laugh at her excited and anxious look while she continues failing to open the box.

"I guess it can't be helped, right?" he teases, taking the box back from her. "Here, I'll help you." He pulls apart the ribbons and extra papers around the box before handing it back to her. "I hope you can take the lid off."

"Shut up, I was just nervous," pouts Mika, lifting the lid. A smile makes its way upon her face when she sees what's inside. "Ichigo daifuku?"

"My specialty," Jesse winks, making her blush again. "Sorry if it's not something as fancy as chocolate."

"Unn, no, I like this," she says happily. "Because Jesse made it for me.Thank you." Mika takes a bite out of one of the daifuku, letting out a satisfied squeal. "This tastes amazing!"

"Of course it does," Jesse jokes. Mika freezes when he grabs her hand that's holding the bitten daifuku and takes a bite out of it himself. "Indirect kiss." Unable to contain himself, Jesse bursts out laughing again when Mika looks like she could faint from becoming too red.

"Ne, Jesse, does this mean you like me?" she asks slowly, trying to calm herself down. Jesse nods proudly. "Why? I mean, what made you start liking me? You said no last time, didn't you?"

"Well yeah, but to be honest, your confession made me notice you more often after," Jesse answers, smiling at the memory. "And I began seeing things I didn't notice about you before. Like how you cute you look when you blush, or how you interact with Momo in such an innocent way when she talks to you about who she thinks is attractive. Yes I heard all that, she wasn't exactly quiet about it. Next, I like how you always try your best at everything you do. I find the gap in your live and drama personalities pretty cute too." By now Mika can barely feel her body anymore. She was up high past cloud 9 and possibly out of this world already by Jesse's confession. "I like how whenever I notice you, I somehow unconsiously become louder, as if my mind is trying to make me get your attention. Or when we have a small contact, I can feel my whole body tingle. And whenever I see you, I just have the urge to hug you and make you smile. And--" Mika stops him, unable to take anymore happiness.

"That's how I feel about you," Mika admits back, looking at him in the eyes for the first time since his confession. "But if you continue right now, I'll probably faint from happiness.

"That's okay, I'll continue telling the things you do to me from now on," Jesse promises. "I know I was being a bit mean by playing around this past month, but I liked seeing you blush at every little thing. And now that we're together, I'll definitely return all the feelings for you whole heartedly.We'll have to hide it for a while since Johnny probably won't like it, but I promise I'll stay faithful and--"

"But you never asked, so I can't give you my answer," Mika reminds him, causing him to chuckle lightly.

"Okay, Kawaii-chan, will you be my girlfriend?" Jesse asks, holding the box of ichigo daifuku up again. "I really like you."

"Hmm," hums Mika, pretending to think. "I'll give you my answer on Valentine's Day since you waited until White Day to tell me." This causes Jesse to snap up in surprise, eyes widening.

"Wait! That's not far!" whines Jesse, stomping his foot in disappointment like a little kid. "You only had to wait one month! I'll have to wait 11 months!" For the first time, Mika has Jesse wrapped around her finger and she is the one laughing at him. "Stop that, you're so mean!"

"I was just kidding!" Mika laughs, finding his childishness to be adorable. Jesse lets out another whine before looking at her with a pout. "I like you too."

Without another word, Jesse pulls Mika in for a hug, pressing her into him. Nothing could be better than being in his arms like right now. The confession turned out a lot better than she thought it would.