What is the difference between DBSK and TVXQ?

I've been wondering..
kurogane
3 years ago
same group, same meaning but different language.
Dong Bang Shin Ki (dbsk) in korean. Tong Vfang Xien Qi (tvxq) in chinese and Tohoshinki in japanese. people or in tv said 'Dong Bang Shink Ki', but they write the short form as tvxq. most of the time they known as tvxq. i'm a cassie (their fan) too. and most of the time i write them as tvxq ^^
Gongyoosbae
3 years ago
omg sorry I pressed enter and then TVXQ is just the chinese version of dbsk tong vfang xien qi..they have so much names LOL i thought they were different too before I became a cassie hahaha
Gongyoosbae
3 years ago
DBSK is Dong Bang Shin Ki which is the Korean romanization
Korekrypta
3 years ago
DBSK is an abbreviation of the romanised version of the full Korean name of the group, Dong Bang Shin Ki. TVXQ is from the romanised version of the Chinese name of the group, Tong Vfang Xien Qi. In Japan, they're also stylised as Tohoshinki, the Japanese translation of the name, but tha'ts by the by for the moment.

DBSK and TVXQ were used as stylisations to promote the band as five both home and abroad (DBSK more for the domestic audience and TVXQ abroad), but after the split, Yunho and Changmin went on a promotional hiatus for a but and SM did a sort of stylisation revamp and now promotes them as TVXQ! (yes, with the exclamation mark). This is probably to mark the fact that the group has changed. Everybody runs with it because the law suit was a big deal in the K-pop world and talking about the split is still kind of uncomfortable in some areas. Basically, it's kicking out the three who were previously there but who are now part of JYJ by changing the branding.

You'll see fans referring to DBSK when they're talking about the group pre-split (sometimes DB5K - it's easy to swap the S with the 5), and TVXQ (or 2VXQ/variations thereof) to refer to the group post-split - again, the T/2 are easily swapped.
BlackPolish
3 years ago
Personally, when I refer to DBSK it's the complete group of 5 before the split. TVXQ is the group known nowadays as only Changmin and Yunho. You will never hear the media call TVXQ as DBSK because there is big uncomfortable circle around the break-up of the group. Even though every OT5 fan will always refer to it as DBSK