Deep breath

Offline

It felt as if Miloh never fell asleep as her eyes flew open upon hearing her alarm clock blaring so loud that it hurt her ears. It used to bother her so much because she'd stay up until early in the morning to talk to Minhyuk and got only two or three hours of sleep. But nothing seemed to matter now. No amount of sleep could make her feel any better anyway. Like a robot, she did her morning routines and made her way to work.

Miloh worked in a small cafe that mainly served warm drinks as well as sandwiches and cakes. Being a lazy person, she always had lunch in the backroom of the cafe and the chicken sandwich didn't taste like anything to her as she had had it so many times already. She took out her phone and opened her facebook app. She ignored everything else, only logging in to check if Minhyuk had replied, even though it had been two months. To her dismay, everything had stayed the same. The disappointment, however, grew weaker each passing day as if she was expecting it anyway. She slammed the half-eaten sandwich on the table as she heard her coworker call out for her. Apparently there's an emergency. She didn't get most of the details as she wasn't really focusing on what she was saying but it sounded like someone is in the hospital. "Yeah, sure." she mumbled and watched the other girl jog off. Feeling her tummy silently grumble, she sat down on the chair and looked at the empty cafe for a while. There was only one old man sipping on his coffee. She let out a long sigh and looked out of the window, falling deep into thoughts. 

 

June 12, 2015

It had been a few days on Miloh's new job - she was a cashier in a cafe. New things always seem more interesting and the girl was happily chatting to his friend about everything that happened at work, about what pissed her off and also about the customers that made her smile with their kindness. Minhyuk, as usually, was smiling and looking at her actively using her whole body and facial muscles to best explain the situation. "I'm proud of you." he sincerely said, the ice melting smile radiating through the screen. "Thank you," Miloh replied with a shy smile to give in return. "It means the most to me, really." And then he did it again. That thing with his words that made her fears and troubles disappear, replacing them with a type of happiness only he could create.
"Everything I say to you, I want it to be for the better. I feel all this care and love towards you, it makes me all warm and tingly to know that I have a person like you in life now."

 

The girl felt her eyes get moist in a comfortable way, knowing that no tears would drop. She sighed deeply as she always did after one of those flashbacks but her silent moment of self pity was broken by the door being roughly pushed open. The coworker almost knocked a boy down as she rushed back, apologizing with a loud voice and rushing to the back. Miloh noticed that the old man was gone and she was glad that he didn't have to hear this. Her eyes followed the girl to the back, knowing that after she changes her clothes, the hungry girl would be able to finish her dried out sandwich. 
"Excuse me," a male voice spoke from behind the counter and Miloh froze. She had gotten completely insane, she thought, as it sounded scarily similar to Minhyuk's voice. It felt like her insides poured a bucket of ice-cold water into her veins and she found it hard to turn her head to look at the customer. He was wearing a black hoodie over his head and he had bleached blond hair. Minhyuk had dark hair, she thought to herself, however the man's head was lowered and she couldn't see his face. Miloh narrowed her eyes and held onto the counter in case her legs stop carrying her. Her heart was thumping against her ribs like a wild animal trying to get out of a cage and it was hard to resist the urge to say his name. Once the customer raised his head, she froze in her spot. Her body felt solidly glued to the ground but everything around her spun. 
"I know you're working right now, but I was wondering if we could have lunch together." Minhyuk said, clearly nervous as well, as he looked into her eyes. Worry and curiosity took over her as she noticed that the boy seemed much paler, almost sick, and there was a weird sadness to his eyes. Miloh closed her eyes and took a deep breath like every other time she had flashbacks. But when she opened her eyes, he was still here.


[Author's note]
Dear reader who you've gotten this far with the chapter. I sincerely want to thank you for spending your time on something I created. I'll work hard to make sure the time you spent is worth it. PS: I love comments. Love love love them.