001

Lucky
I was nervous. It was almost my turn.
 
Perfect sequences of flips were executed and surpassed even the coach's expectations, while I knew nothing. 
 
Well, nothing meaning I wasn't as good as them. It was as if I was just learning to add numbers while they were already multiplying. 
 
And what makes the whole thing even worse? My crush, my freaking crush, was my back base (The back base is the person who supports the back portion of the flyer). He was called Kai.
 
Smiles graced group four's faces as they managed to pull off the stunt perfectly. Even Coach had a small smile on his face. 
 
It felt horrible. 
 
Being placed in a group after the one with the best flyer (the flyer is the person who is lifted during liftings or pyramids), it didn't feel quite right.
 
I mean, I'm a newbie, she's a pro. And not to mention she weighs like seventy something pounds while I on the other hand.... Well let's just say I was heavier. 
 
"Group five you're up." Jesang said, face full of pride. Well, being the star flyer and having the coach dote on her, how else would she act?
 
I took deep breaths. My heart was literally pounding. 
 
My lifters positioned themselves at my sides, while Kai was standing behind me, ready to place his hands on either side of my waist.
 
Funny if you think about how someone like Kai, the quiet, mysterious, perfect, hot guy, would join the cheering squad.
 
Must be his friend, Kyungsoo, heard he was waiting for this the whole year. 
 
I drew in a breath, as Kai placed his hands on my waist. I feel like jello every time he does that. I placed my hands on my lifters shoulders and placed my right foot on Sehun hand. 
 
I forgot to mention, Sehun and some guy named Tao were my lifters (they are the main people who lift the flyer; positioned at the flyer's sides). I felt microscopic. I'm not kidding, they're freakishly tall (and did I forget to mention hot).
 
"Come on, we can't wait forever." I blinked and looked at my coach who has seemed to have an already bad impression of me.
 
He starts counting, and on one we start. I bounce twice and on five I stand straight up high. 
 
Yes! I did it!! I smile, a bit too wide, but I was just really, really, happy. I pump my fists, but just a bit, otherwise I would lose balance. 
 
"Good job! Now, you seem to be able to catch up well, why don't we try the cradle (it is where the lifters toss the flyer and she lands in their arms)?" I froze.
 
I mean, I know you guys would be all 'It's just a cradle! And you call yourself a cheerleader?' Lemme explain. I have no experience whatsoever. Being able to stand up on the first try wasn't too bad. But a cradle? Never done it.
 
Coach clears his throat. "All you gotta do is let them toss you, then tighten your body and bring your arms to your side, forming a t-shape. The lifters will catch you so don't panic."
 
I was panting, and I felt a light tap on my foot, it was Kai. "Are you sure?" I looked at him worriedly but before I could even reply, "You're going to do it on three." I felt a squeeze on my foot.
 
Before I could even think, I was tossed in the air. I locked my knees and kept my body straight. But it seems I forgot to spread my arms. 
 
 
Pain.
 
That was all I could think about. 
 
It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.
 
I squeezed my eyes shut before tears could fall. I was about to stand up when a pair of arms scooped me up and laid me on an emptier area on the floor. 
 
My back. My back. 
 
"I-It hurts.." I was shaking. I couldn't explain how painful it was. I just lied down on the floor, clutching my face to prevent others from seeing the tears. 
 
Someone lifted my back and placed a towel underneath, which served as a pillow. A bag was placed underneath my feet, too. Then, the same person brushed my hair out of my face, and his hands slowly but delicately held mine in his. 
 
We stayed in that position until I had the courage to let him remove my hands from my face. 
 
It was Kai.
 
And soon after my vision adjusted to the rest of the people surrounding me. I tried to sit up to tell them I was okay but they would just push me back down. It continued like this until I told them "How would I know if I'm alright if you don't let me stand up?"
 
I stood up and felt completely fine. I smiled at them, giving Kai a longer glance, then jumped up and down a bit to show I was really okay.
 
Tao and Sehun apologized profusely, while Kai just looked at me with careful eyes. 
 
Everything was going well, actually. I told coach I could try again and it was a success. Although I could feel the extra carefulness of my lifters. 
 
Soon enough everything was just like it was before I fell. 
 
Until I sat down.
 
A sharp pain ran through my back and especially in the lower area. I tried not to show signs of discomfort, and I think I did pretty well, until Kai noticed. "You alright?" 
 
I swallowed the invisible lump in my throat, and gave him a thumbs up. "Oh, yeah." But my voice cracked. His eyebrows furrowed, and he pulled me up, and brought me to the coach.
 
"Coach, she's injured. I'll bring her home." I involuntarily slapped his arm, and then retreated the next second. "What are you doing? No one does that you know!" My cheeks were burning.
 
He smirks, leaving me dumbfounded by the radiance of his plump, oh-so-kissable lips, and picks up his things and my bag. Before I even snap out of my trance, Kai was already tugging on my arm, heading downstairs to the exit.
 
"Don't do anything funny!" 
 
"Me? I wouldn't even." Said Kai. 
 
We head out and walk to my house. Most of the trip was just me trying to formulate some sort of conversation with Kai simply following along. Though at times it would get quiet. And awkward. You could feel the awkward. But at some point one of us would try - and fail - to lessen the tension.
 
We got to the house pretty soon after, which was a disappointment because our conversation was actually starting to pick up. Oh, such luck.
 
"Well...." I looked towards a random spot outside the house, just for the sake of not falling into the depths of Kai's eyes. Yes, they were indeed dreamy.
 
"Thank you... But I didn't ask you to bring me here!" 
 
Kai laughed. It was beautiful. And it kinda made my heart flutter, as cliche as that sounds. It was the first time I heard him laugh like that, well I guess you can say it's cause were not all that close or something. "Can I see your phone?" 
 
Without thinking, I dig through my pockets and grab my phone. I hand it to him without thought, only realizing what I've done after he opens it. Damn! I really should've placed a screen lock or something.
 
He types in a number and saves it as 'Handsome<3'. He calls the number and receives the call on his phone, and saves my number. 
 
I quickly get my phone back and blush. Kai smirks, takes a huge step forward, and hugs me. I freeze, not knowing what to do.
 
My effing crush is hugging me!(!!!!!!)
 
My mind seemed to not recognize what was happening, and was trying to form coherent sentences of what was happening, but it just couldn't. I felt that mushy feeling every love struck teen proclaims to have. 
 
Such cliches.
 
"I was waiting for the right time to confess. I guess your fall had some good sides, too, right?" He says, his voice a little weaker than the usual. His cheeks are also tinted the slightest bit of pink. Yes, I noticed.
 
Confess?! My crush confessed to me!! Kai confessed to me!
 
"I like you, idiot. I know you like me, too." He smirks, igniting sparks all over me. Oh god, I sound like a fanfic.
 
I grin like the idiot he says I am, and for the first time, hug Kai back.