Final.

It's (not) enough

 

 

Kibum slumped on the floors of their training room. It's not enough, he mumbles. He lets out a frustrated sigh and walked over to the sound system to turn it off. He's been stuck in a part in their choreography for who knows how long. The members were long gone and he's all alone.

 

 

He chuckled bitterly as he remembers the warning their choreographer gave him. "Don't mess with this, Key. You've been messing up with the choreography last time." And so he stayed after practice hours and danced by himself. To perfect those movements and show them what he can do. But nothing's been going on to plan.

 

 

It's 10:30 in the evening. He's been here for 2 hours already. But none of s noticed. But who are they to care? He's just the oh-so Almighty Key who can take care of himself. The triple-threat of SHINee. He once again laughed in bitterness. Almighty Key? Triple-threat? Please, he's just the ordinary and vulnerable Kibum.

 

 

But still. He awaits for someone to walk in to that freaking door and help him out of his misery. Taemin's probably resting right now. Minho has his drama filming. Jonghyun must be composing something. And Jinki, well he's been pretty unpredictable. But surely, he wouldn't come around to help his useless dongsaeng. But all his speculations were forgotten as he heard the door open.

 

 

"Still not done?" He heard a very familiar voice ask. In fact, he's been into this deep and gentle voice for years. And yes, the good, old caring Lee Jinki is here.

 

"Nope. Still messing up the steps. I couldn't risk a single mistake." He said as he walked back to the sound system and turns it on again.

 

"You know, I could listen. To your problems, if you'd like." He offered. That was tempting. Kibum pondered for a second and paused the music. With heavy footsteps, he walks back to Jinki and hugged him.

 

 

Jinki stiffen at the contact. But suddenly relaxed as he placed his arms on Kibum's waist, pulling him closer. After a few seconds, he heard a soft sob escaped from Kibum's lips. In reflex, his hand came in contact with Kibum's hair and played with it. He felt teardrops on his shoulders and pulls away from the hug.

 

 

He comes face to face with a crying Kim Kibum. "What's wrong?" He asks as he wipes his tears with his hand. It went on for a few seconds until Kibum mumbles a soft, "It's not enough."

 

"Why? Why do you think so?" He wondered why Kibum thinks this way. Kibum's been always perfect in his eyes. The way those feline eyes shine, those heart-shaped lips when it pouts, or even now that he's crying in front of him, he still screams perfect.

 

"It's just... I just... I don't know." Jinki smiled. He once again wipes Kibum's tears away and kissed his forehead. "See? You didn't even know why. This is not the Kibum I know." Kibum's eyes widen at what he says. Jinki's right. He didn't know. So why bother crying for something you didn't know. He likes the sound of his name called out by Jinki. Right now, they were just Kibum and Jinki. Not Key and Onew.

 

"I'm not Taemin." He mumbled, pulling Jinki to the floor and sit with him and at the same time, earning a confused stare from Jinki. "I am not the dancing machine. His movements were so powerful that even I can't keep up." He continues on rambling things about Taemin. How their innocent maknae grown to become one of the best idols in the K-Pop industry. How he can now hit high notes easily without his voice cracking. How he became better than Kibum.

 

 

Jinki could only listen to him. Responding him with hums and occasional nodding of his head. He knew he couldn't say a thing that could comfort Kibum. And he just sit there playing with Kibum's hand as the latter continues on voicing out his insecurities for the maknae. You could say Kibum felt better after that.

 

 

A few days later, he saw Kibum in their bedroom with bloodshot eyes. Crying probably because his voice cracked in the middle of his adlib. He moved closer to where he was and heard that he's mumbling something. His insecurities, once again. But this time, not for Taemin, but for a certain Dino.

 

 

"I'm not Kim Jonghyun. I couldn't hit those very high notes. I can't compose beautiful and meaningful songs. He's everything I'm not." Throughout his whole ranting about how close to perfect Jonghyun is, his heart ached a little. When will the time come where Kibum will see him as high as Jonghyun, or even more. But right now, Kibum needs someone. A comforting presence. And he's a hundred percent willing to volunteer.

 

 

He could only sing Kibum to sleep. He pulled him closer and played with his hair while humming to a song unknown to Kibum. A song written by him dedicated to the feline-eyed perfection beside him. When their maknae opened the door and see the two figures on Kibum's bed, he could only give a small nod, get what he needs in the room, and exit quietly.

 

 

"You'll always be perfect in my eyes." Jinki whispers as he places a soft kiss on the latter's forehead.

 

 

After that second encounter, Kibum seemed to improve. His once dull eyes began to have its sparkle back. His smiles seems to be real. And his fake laughter was gone. But one thing is wrong. Kibum's avoiding Jinki. He doesn't know why. Is it because he had heard what Jinki said after he fell asleep? Or that one time Jinki hugged him out of the blue?

 

 

When they're oncam, in the personas of Onew and Key, they seem fine. But offcam, Kibum's giving Jinki a cold shoulder. It didn't go unnoticed by the members. But the others knew it's really none of their business to meddle with their personal things, so they just acted like nothing's wrong. They knew that the two are capable and old enough to solve this. After all, they're the Appa and the Umma of the group.

 

 

"I'm not Minho." Jinki heard as he inched closer at the bathroom's door. "I'm not the main rapper. I'm also not the visual of the group." Jinki knew it's one of his insecurities again. And he's sad knowing that Kibum thinks so low of himself. Right now, he could only give a presence by the door, knowing that he and Kibum had grown a rift between them these days. Jinki knew that this was about the hate comments lately about Kibum's appearance. How the said Diva is thinking so highly about himself.

 

Kibum opened the door an hour later. giving a surprised gasp as he saw Jinki sitting by the door. "Oh. You're done?" Jinki asked. He could only give a small nod and went to their room. But he knew that Jinki heard him. He didn't left the door slightly open for no reason. And he's thankful because he used the little presence of Jinki by the door to avoid thinking of hurting himself in many ways. 

 

 

The rift developed between them was better after that. You could say things went back to normal. Kibum seems okay with Jinki being around him always. Or how attentive and alert Jinki is whenever he does a slight move. It's annoying at first but he'll manage. After all, he likes it when Jinki is babying him.

 

 

Jinki wakes up at exactly 2:51 in the morning. After tossing and turning on his bed for a good 10 minutes, he decides that he better heat some milk to help him go back to sleep. And that's when he notice that the bed beside him was perfectly made and the feline-eyed boy was nowhere to be seen in the room.

 

 

He sees him on the kitchen, clearly staring at the empty wall in front of him. He makes his way to him quietly. But eventually failed as he trips over air. Damn, he and his sangtae at the wrong time. Kibum snaps out of his staring contest with the wall and turns his head to Jinki's direction. Jinki smiled as he went to the fridge amd grabbed a container of milk.

 

 

"I'm not you, Jinki." Kibum says and Jinki could only listen to his explanation. "I'm not gifted with a beautiful voice like you. Nor the gentle and caring attitude you have. Oh wait, don't even forget the manners you have. It's something that's so not me. You're perfect, and I'm not." He widen his eyes at what he heard. Kibum thinks he's perfect? With his sangtae and all?

Jinki just laughed while Kibum could only look at him weirdly. After a few seconds, he composed himself and said "Me? The old leader of SHINee? Perfect? Oh please, Kibum. Stop with the joke."

 

"No, really hyung. You've always been perfect in my eyes since you stumbled in the practice room 6 years ago." Kibum remembered how innocent Jinki stumbled in their practice room.

 

"Hahaha. You remembered! I thought it was not really worth remembering." Jinki took the seat in front of Kibum and drinks his milk.

 

"Yeah. That's the day that I knew that you were gonna have a huge impact on me. More on my heart, really." Kibum stood up and walks away. "Good night, Jinki." Jinki could only register what Kibum told him after the latter was out of sight.

 

 

It was now his turn to avoid Kibum. After that night, everything just got awkward between them. Or is Jinki the only one who's awkward with Kibum? The members once again took notice of this and this time, they decided that they should really go and help their Appa and Umma. Cornering Jinki and dragging him to one of the rooms, Jonghyun began to persuade Jinki to spill the beans. After a few minutes of persuading with Minho and Taemin, Jinki finally opens up.

 

 

"You like him. He likes you. Why not go and get him?" Jonghyun stated as a matter-of-fact. Taemin and Minho nodded and looked at him expectantly.

 

"You can't just say that Jonghyun ah. What if he doesn't mean that way?" Jinki reasoned out.

 

"By the way you told the story, I can surely say that the feeling is mutual, hyung." Minho replied. And this time, you could see that Jonghyun and Taemin are the ones nodding.

 

"I don't know." Jinki replied as he stood up and walked out of the room.

 

 

Arriving at the dorm after a night schedule is really tiring. Wiping the excessive make-up from your face is really bothersome. Jinki's tired. All he wants is sleep. But all of it was forgotten as he saw Kibum running towards the staircase and ran up. He knows Kibum will go to the rooftop. It's one of the places he usually went.

 

 

He didn't know what got into him but he ran after Kibum. But subtlely. He doesn't want Kibum to know he's following him. He settled on the spot by the door and watched as Kibum placed a blue mat on the floor and laid on it. While observing the stars, Kibum began singing a song. Their song, to be exact.

 

 

아침 햇살이 그대와 같아요
Achim haetsari geudaewa gatayo
The morning sunlight is like you

 

조금 유치하겠죠
Jogeum yuchihagetjyo

It might be a little childish

 

그래도 난 이런 게 좋은 걸
Geuraedo nan ireon ge joheun geol
But I like it

 

나를 깨워준 그대 옆에 라면
Nareul kkaewojun geudae yeope ramyeon
If I'm by your side when you wake up

 

더 바랄게 없겠죠
Deo baralke eopgetjyo
I have nothing more to wish for

 

이렇게 그댈 보고 싶은 걸
Ireohke geudael bogo sipeun geol
I want to see you

 

사랑이 어리다고 못할 거라 생각하지 말아요
Sarangi eodirago mothal geora saengakhaji marayo
Don't think that we can love because we're young

 

나를 더 늦기 전에
Nareul deo neutgi jeone
Before it's too late

 

나 더 크기 전에 잡아줄 수 있죠?
Na deo keugi jeone jabajul su itjyo?
Before I grow older, can you hold onto me?

 

 

사랑해요 그대만을 저 하늘만큼
Saranghaeyo geudaemaneul jeo haneulmankeum
I love you only, as much as the sky

 

정말 그대는 내가 사는 이유인 걸요
Jeonmal geudaeneun naega saneun iyuin geolyo
You truly are the reason I live

 

그대를 아주 많이 그댈 미치도록 안아주고 싶어
Geudaereul aju manhi geudael michidorok anajugo sipeo
I really, really want to hug you like crazy

 

아직 많이 빠른거죠 그런거죠
Ajik manhi ppareungeojyo geureongeojyo
We're still going too fast, right?

 

 

As the song comes to an end, tears stream down on my face. I didn't even realized that I was crying until I realized that Kibum is standing in front of me and wipes my tears. I see he's been crying too, judging by puffiness of his eyes and hoarse voice. But still, he smiled.

 

 

"It's really rude to creep like that, Jinks." He knew Jinki followed him. He knew Jinki has been standing there in the cramped space all along. And he sang the song thinking about Jinki.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn'-" Jinki start apologizing but Kibum cutted him off.

 

"I'm not Key." He started. Jinki could only stare at him in confusion. He stares back and smiles. "I'm not really the triple-threat they are talking and praising about. I just happen to be able to sing, rap, and dance properly. I'm not the fashionista Key they knew. I just want to dress uniquely and stand out. In the end of the day, I'm just the plain, countryboy Kibum from Daegu. The Kibum who has been an attention seeker since 6 years ago. But inspite of all I did, I never got the attention of a certain person I'm eyeing for all these years." He paused and looks at the stars.

 

"Who is the person you've been wanting to notice you? I'm sure that person's really blind to not notice you." Jinki said as he stares at Kibum's face under the moonlight.

 

"You know you just called yourself blind. It's always been you, Lee Jinki." Kibum said with a small smile tugging his lips. Jinki could only become speechless. Another indirect confession, he thinks. "I'm also afraid. Afraid that one day I'll forget that I'm just Kibum and lose myself to Key. I don't want that to happen."

 

"Remember the night on the practice room? I always prayed that you walk in that door and accompany me. And I can't explain how relieved I am when you did. Or that night when I was crying because my voice cracked during performance? I heard what you said. And I'm happy to hear that from you. How about when I saw you outside the bathroom's door? Do you know that I left the door open just for you? I wasn't expecting you to walk in but your mere presence by the door was enough to flush the thoughts of harming myself. Lastly, the night when you couldn't sleep. I was so full of thoughts of how perfect you are. And I couldn't hold it any longer so I did an indirect confession or something." He paused for a minute and continued.

 

"For years, you're the only one who could always make me remember that I'm Kibum, not Key. That I was enough despite all the flaws I have. That tomorrow is gonna be better than yesterday. And somewhere along the way, I just fell for you, I guess. Pathetic, isn't it?" Kibum chuckled with a bittersweet tone. This time, it was Jinki's turn to speak up. This is now or never.

 

"After stumbling into the practice room 6 years ago, I thought I wasn't gonna last long in this industry. But after seeing you, I felt a wave of confidence and I knew that somehow, you're gonna be in my life for some special reasons. As I said when I thought you're asleep, you're always been perfect in my eyes. It never changed for the 6 years that I have known you and I doubt that it will. The first time you voiced out your insecurities, I thought that "Hey, why does Kibum look down on himself when I think so highly of him?" And you can never tell how relieved I am when you chose me to be the one who listen to you." He still continues on looking at the sky. And Jinki had the urge to continue what he was saying.

 

"On the night where we laid together on your bed, I was envious that you're talking about how close to perfection Jonghyun is. And I wonder if when will be the time where you'll see me as the same or even more. Next is the part when you voiced out your insecurities about Minho. I've never felt so useless in my whole life. But you thought the opposite and I'm thankful for that." This time, Kibum gives Jinki a look that says 'You're not useless.'

 

"And that one night when I can't sleep. I was supposed to sneak behind you but my sangtae went in the way. And the time that I waited for so long came, you said that I was perfect. You could say two of my dreams came true that night. Because the one I love sees me as I see him. I was speechless that I couldn't even bat a lash." Jinki looks at Kibum and laces their hands together.

 

"All this time, we're just two pabos beating around the bush." Kibum said as he tighten his grip on Jinki's hand like his life depended on it.

 

"Yeah, I guess we are." Jinki could only smile. "But Kibum, no matter how many flaws you have, you'll always be perfect in my eyes. And that's enough. You're enough."

 

"Thanks, Jinki hyung."

 

Shower and proper rest are long forgotten as they laid on the blue mat in each other's arms. And Kibum knew that as long as there's Jinki by his side, it's enough. That he'll never lose himself to Key. And that someone is there for him. Supporting him when needed and comforting him when he's down. And that's all that matters.

 

 

"Hey, Kibum." Kibum was close to sleeping when Jinki interuppted him.

 

"What, hyung?" He whispers and he wakes up after hearing what Jinki has to say.

 

"Can you be my one?" Jinki asked and Kibum couldn't count how many nods and yes he gave Jinki. Finishing off with an innocent first kiss they've been waiting for so long. Pulling away with a smile on his face, Kibum says,

 

"I thought you'll never ask, Jagiya." Jinki smiled and pulled him closer until all he can hear is his heartbeat and his melodious voice singing him to sleep.