Final

Drunk

 

 

My hand grazed over my empty shot glass, causing it to tumble over the edge of the black marble slab counter of my kitchen. The sound of shattering glass reached my ears. Fits of crazed laughter erupted out of my drunken body. Empty beer cans were piled up in a mountain of aluminum and shiny metal at the opposite end of the countertop. Memories from just a few days ago flashed through my mind’s eye. I could see her now, sitting on that old and frozen bench outside in the park with snowflakes dotting her dark and silky locks.

Her iPhone was whipped out, and she was snapping photos of the white coated landscape. That’s one of Sulli’s many talents. She’d be a great photographer one day, but what she’s dreaming of is becoming a marine biologist, researching deep sea creatures and studying beaches. I remember seeing the blueprints of her dream house a year or two ago. It came with a built-in aquarium, where sharks and multicolored fish could swim over her as she slept on a queen sized bed.

Smiling down at her phone, she flicked through the photos she’d taken. When I got nearer to her, she glanced up at me with a grin on her face. “Krystal.” The girl got up, enveloping me in a warm hug that lasted longer than regular hugs that occurred between friends should have. The scent of her coconut shampoo and intoxicating perfume filled my head. “Sulli,” I mumbled her name into her back, my fingers running down her soft hair. When she pulled away, Sulli smiled again. “Thanks for coming,” she sat back down on the bench, patting the spot next to her. Once I’d sat down, our thighs and shoulders touching, she took a deep breath.

Did I mention she looked breathtaking in that thick, red, Hollister sweater of hers? I watched as she played with her fingers, biting her the bottom of her pink lips nervously, dark eyes trained down at the snow gathering on the cobblestone walk way of the empty park. “Krystal, I have to tell you something really important,” Sulli said in a serious tone, looking into my eyes. Smiling, I nodded for her to keep going. “I have a boyfriend.” The smile dropped off of my face, my eyes wide.

“W-what? W-who? And when?” I asked, unable to keep the anger and jealousy out of my voice. A concerned look crossed over Sulli’s face. “I knew you’d get angry,” she half-sighed. Sulli rubbed my back soothing me, trying to calm me down, “It’s okay. I know that seeing me grow up would be a shock to you. I mean, you're kind of like the big sister I always wanted but never had. We’re having dinner at my house on Friday, you should be there. Get to meet him and all that.” I felt sick to my stomach. I had waited too long, missed my chance.

“He’s absolutely wonderful. I know you’ll just love him.” Completely obvious to my horrified expression, she took a look at her wrist watch and gasped. “Crap! I’m gonna be late for my shift!” Quickly, she leaned in and gave me a kiss on my cheek that was dangerously close to the corner of my mouth. “Bye, Krystal. See you for dinner at my place around six, okay?” Dizzy from the memory and the countless alcoholic drinks I’d downed in the passed day or so, I got up from my stool and sauntered lazily over to my fridge for another beer. How could I have been so dumb, falling in love with a straight girl like Sulli?

Flinging my head back and chugging down half of the bottle, memories came flowing back again. The world was twisting into a churning darkness, claiming me in it’s icy grasp. “Krystal!” I heard her cry out desperately. Someone shook my shoulders roughly, trying to awaken me. When my eyes finally flickered open there she was, eyes wide, a horrified look on her face. I reached up, gently brushing stands of her hair from her face, looking deep into her deep, dark eyes. Slowly, she placed her hand over mine and gave me a sweet smile. “Don’t scare me like that again, Krystal,” Sulli breathed slowly, worried. There was another swirl of color, and I slumped over onto the couch as another memory overtook me.

Sulli was standing in front of me, wearing her usual outfit of tight fitting light blue jeans tucked into white Doc Marten boots laced up to her ankles, with her favorite knitted sweater on, along with that tiger striped headband of hers. Stepping forward, a smirk on her face she leaned in close to me, placing her arms around my neck. “Hey, you,” she murmured into my ear. Feeling her warm breath down my neck, her fingertips on sliding down my back, caused my body temperature to sky rocket and my cheeks to flare up a bright red.

This was a new feeling. No one had ever made me feel like this way before. On instinct, I pulled her closer to my body, loving the feeling of her pressed up against me. But then she pulled back, and I was holding her in my arms. We were a few meters apart now, and she was looking at me with that sparkle in her eyes, with that look that only she gives me, reserves for me. I loved that look. “I love you,” I whispered. , that wasn’t supposed to come out. Sulli’s eyes didn’t widen, her breath didn’t hitch, her image didn’t waver. Instead, and this shocked me the most, the brunette smirked. She reached out a hand and cupped the side of my face, her thumb my left cheek.

“I know,” she whispered back, her eyes softening into melted chocolate as she gazed at me. “I know.” A knock at my door shook me out of the sweet memories, and I got up with my beer in hand, downing the drink and ignoring the burning sensation that was searing down my throat. Crumpling up the can and tossing it into the ever-growing pile, I shambled up to the locked door of my two-story home.

Lazily, I unlocked the latch and pulled the door open wide, shading my eyes from the blinding sunlight with one hand and leaning up against the doorframe for support. “Who is it?” I asked in a gruff, unfamiliar voice. “Krystal, what’s gotten into you?” I heard a familiar heartbroken, disappointed voice say. Sulli. What the hell was she doing here? I eyeballed her. “What the hell are you doing here?” The girl waved her iPhone screen in my face, and I winced away from the light. “You haven’t answered any of my calls or texts. I figured you were still upset about what I’d said two days ago, on Wednesday.” , it was Friday already?

“It’s Friday?” I asked, rubbing my eyes with my dirty shirt sleeve. “Yes. I came to see if you still remembered about coming for dinner. Which you obviously didn’t.” She pushed passed me and walked into my house, leaving behind the intoxicating combination of her coconut shampoo and her lavender perfume. I shut the door behind me and followed her back to the kitchen, where she was wrinkling her nose at the pile of empty beer cans. “You’ve been drinking a lot, I see,” she murmured, biting her perfectly shaped lips.

Those lips belonged to someone else now. Her heart and mind belonged to him. Never to be mine. I watched her scoop up the cans and toss them in the trashcan, putting dirty dishes into my dishwasher, throwing bits of trash and broken glass into the garbage. “Are you mad at me?” I mumbled, watching her rinse out cans of soup in the dishwasher. She stopped working and pulled off the yellow rubber gloves covered in soap suds that she was wearing and sighed, looking out the window at the leaf covered back yard. A chilly breeze whipped branches around in the air, winter would be coming soon.

“What do you think, Krystal?” Sulli asked, turning around and searching my eyes for her answer. I choked down a mouthful of saliva. “I think your beautiful,” I whispered hoarsely. “I think I’m addicted to you like a drug, and I’m going through a withdraw. I think he doesn’t deserve you, whoever he is. I think I’m jealous. And I think that I love you.” Sulli leaned against the counter, shaking her head. “Love isn’t that easy, Krystal.” My heart dropped down to my stomach. “Why don’t you love me?” I whispered, sitting criss cross on the floor of my kitchen, looking up at her in awe.

She stepped forward and kneeled down in front of me, tucking a wisp of my hair behind me ear, and I in a breath. I bet I looked like a piece of right now. “Let’s get you in the shower,” she muttered, taking my hand and leading me up the stairs. I’d go anywhere with her, as long as she was with me. Sulli set me down on my bed, still clean and freshly made from that morning. “Okay, we’re taking a shower,” Sulli murmured, slipping my shirt off of my head. At that thought, my face lit up. “Together?” The older girl stopped and stared at me with a funny look gleaming in her eyes. “No!” Then turned back to taking off my jeans.

Before she locked me in the bathroom with the water running, I looked at her. “Why not?” Rolling her eyes with a smile on her face, she shut the door on my face and left me to take my shower. After throwing on a pair of Nike short shorts, a navy long sleeve shirt, tying my hair into a side pony tail, and washing my face, I stomped downstairs, my hair still damp from the water. The smell of bacon sizzling and eggs frying greeted me as I walked into the kitchen.

Sulli had her back to me, and she’d changed into different clothes while I’d taken a shower. Now she was wearing a black hoodie that showed off her perfect body, neon yellow short shorts that let me get a good view of her pretty milk colored legs. “You're perfect,” I whispered, seating myself at the counter. Sulli didn’t seem to hear, shoveling large portions of mouth-watering food onto a platter. But when she turned around to face me, setting a plate of steaming food before me, she smiled. “I know,” Sulli said. Wolfing down the mountain of eggs she’d given me, I threw my head back in delight. “Wow, you're a good cook.” She lifted herself onto the counter, watching me.

“You don’t sound like a drunk person when you're drunk.” I laughed. “That’s cause I’m not drunk.” Shrugging her shoulders, she pulled out her iPhone. “You're coming to dinner,” Sulli said. My eyebrows flicked up. “Oh? Who told you that?” Sulli set down her phone and stared at me. “I’m driving us.” I played with my left over eggs, munching on a piece of bacon. “So where’s this dinner, again?” Her face lit up. “Well, it was gonna be at my house, but I’m moving it to the McDonalds just down the road." Huh. McDonald’s doesn’t exactly sound like the best place to go for a dinner date, but whatever.“Okay. You said you were gonna drive me, so how long are you staying?” She turned back to her phone. “For the rest of the break.” I almost choked on my bacon. “That’s like....three weeks!”

Nodding happily, she hopped off the counter. “Yep. Just to make sure you don’t drown yourself in alcohol every night.” Pushing my empty plate away, I crossed my arms. “And how’s he going to react to this?” Her eyes glittering, she shrugged again. “I know she’s fine with it.” What the hell. “He’s a girl?” Sulli leaned over the counter on her elbows, her face dangerously close. “No,” she whispered against my lips, “You're a girl, my girl.” And then the most wonderful thing happened. Sulli  kissed me full on the mouth, gentle and soft and true. “Now let’s go to dinner, okay? I’m hungry,” she murmured, her gaze still on my lips.