chapter one

bleeding clandestines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is commonly held that a person might be born into any one of a vast number of distinct lives. If all of the luck in the world is bestowed upon your existence, you may be born as a member of the royal family, the daughter of a government figure, perhaps the president himself, or even the lone heir of a world-famous billionaire. These are just some of the possibilities. But of course, there are some people who are not going to be given such a privileged and trouble-free life, and one of those people is a girl named Kim Minji. She is undoubtedly one of those people who got unlucky.

Minji lived in a time when modern-day vampires governed every corner of the globe, and those who were not immortal were compelled to work for them or, at the very worst, became their lifelong slaves. Her late parents were workers for a businessman who managed numerous five-star hotels worldwide. Tragically, both of her parents perished just before Minji reached one year old because they were brutally murdered by the same individual to whom they had committed the majority of their lives. Their blood was drawn out until there was none left, and then the corpses were left to rot in the street, where wild sanguine vampires would later consume them for their meal.

Fortunately, before passing away, Minji's mother convinced the vampire businessman that her daughter perished in the cold and became a meal for the newborn vampires who attacked their home. Unbeknownst to him, Minji's mother had snuck her away and secretly brought her to an immortal family with whom she felt the deepest connection. The family has always been kind and welcoming, which sets them apart from the other vile bloodsuckers who swarmed the streets at night in order to torment humanity. They thrived on the blood of animals and mostly just consumed human food whenever they didn’t need to quench their thirst. 

The married couple considered her their own and took great care of Minji up until this day. Despite being different, Minji’s new parents loved her so dearly, like they loved her immortal sister, Kim Bora. Minji could say she’s fortunate, but as she grew older, she realized how difficult it was to survive when her family wasn’t around her. Luckily, she has always been able to blend in because she doesn’t look like a mortal. She had a pale complexion, almost as pale as her sister's, and possessed the beauty and physical characteristics of a real dhampir.

Plus, her mom managed to get her a fake identification card that shows she’s ‘immortal’, so that’s a bonus. 

"Minji, you seriously have to come with me!" Bora begged her sister while tugging at the bottom of the hoodie that she was wearing. Minji had been ignoring her for close to fifteen minutes, but the vampire evidently had an enormous amount of energy in her, and it would only deplete Minji even further if she continued to mind her own business. 

"Kim Bora, I already told you I don’t want to go. That’s like, the biggest vampire party, and I wouldn’t want to risk my life. Despite being great when it comes to blending in, they will eventually notice that I’m not like you," she softly explained. Bora just pouted even more and wrapped both her arms and legs around her sister, who was trying to focus on the paperwork their parents assigned her to finish. 

"I sincerely swear that I will never, ever leave you by yourself for the entirety of the evening. Just come with me and we’ll have lots of fun together!" She pleaded once more. 

"And when it’s time to have the feast, what are you going to do? You're aware that I will never consume blood, regardless of how much money you offer me."

Bora let out a sigh. 

"There is wine, and the waiters are literally humans like you; therefore, I'm sure there will also be food for humans there as well. Additionally, other vampires similar to us will be present at the event. We don't drink human blood, and most of the time, we just consume human food like you do. Is that sufficient to sway your decision about going with me?"

Minji sighed too.

"For what reason do you want me to accompany you? There is a good chance that some of your other friends will be there. I really don't have any business being there at all."

"Because we've always done things together, even when we were kids, and I feel much safer having my older sister around," Bora answered before letting go of her grip on Minji. 

The human couldn’t help but smile. 

"Aw, is my baby sister sulking?" 

"Stop addressing me in that manner!" She bared her sharp fangs and growled at Minji in an effort to frighten her away. However, the young lady was completely aware that Bora was incapable of and would never intentionally harm her.

"Alright, stop sulking. I’ll go to the party with you."

Bora let out a gasp that was both loud and dramatic. Minji could not handle the girl's abrupt shift in demeanor; it was simply too much for her fragile system to deal with. She just rolled her eyes at the girl before nodding. 

"You mean it? You’re really going to come with me?"

"I already nodded." 

"I want to hear it loud and clear!" 

"Kim Bora," she cautioned as her threatening gaze pierced through the entirety of the vampire's being.

"Okay, okay. Geez, you’re so grumpy today."

The following day, Bora persuaded her sister to accompany her to the mall in order to get outfits that the two of them could wear to the party. Minji didn't have any issues with it initially because it had been a couple of weeks since she had left their home due to the recent events concerning people being murdered by wild sanguine vampires. Even though it was broad daylight and the streets were obviously teeming with daywalkers, Minji managed to fit in rather well, particularly due to the fact that Bora was by her side.

Minji was confident that she would not be in danger because her sister is also an acknowledged vampire and is friends with almost everybody her age.

"So, what is the theme of the party? Dead? Horror? Bloody?" Minji questioned as she stared at her sister, who was preoccupied with looking for a dress to wear.

"Are you dumb?" Bora asked back, and Minji just laughed. 

"I'm just kidding. I am aware that we reside in the present day in which everyone is fashionable, including those people who lived thousands of years ago."

"Do you think that this is going to look good on me?" Bora remarked while displaying a shimmering, sleeveless gold evening gown for Minji. It had a very sophisticated appearance, particularly due to the way its hem draped gracefully on the floor. The patterns on the hem of the gown had a darker shade of gold, and it undoubtedly created the impression that the person who was wearing it was walking in a magical way as they did so.

"Of course, but don't you worry that you'll fall down when you're walking? That gown is too long, and you're short," Minji teased, and she didn't miss how Bora's eye color shifted into a darker shade of red as a result of her irritation.

"I’m going to wear heels, obviously," she snapped, making Minji laugh. "So, should I get this one? Be serious!"

"Yeah, you should get this one. You’ll look prettier in it."

"Cool! Okay, let’s pick yours now. Stand up there and come closer to the mirror. Let’s see what would fit your style."

Minji let out a long sigh before getting off the couch she was sitting on, despite the fact that she was already very relaxed there. As she stood in front of the full-length mirror, Bora went to the wardrobe and pulled out around five different gowns that were the same color as the gown that she had chosen for herself. Minji was forced to try each and every one of them by her sister, but none of them sparked her interest. Both the fact that she did not wish

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter