You’re a green light that melted my heart

Your green light / I waited for a long time (JMJ)

 

Minjeong has her head down at their table in the cafeteria as she scrolls aimlessly on her phone— looking at pictures of cute puppies.

 

“Minjeong - have you heard?” Ningning says first thing as she spots Minjeong and sits down at the table with her.

“Oh - hello, Minjeong - what are you up to, Minjeong?” Minjeong mocks. “I’m up to not much actually, Ningning - nice to see you.” 

“Yes, hello - I get it.” Ningning rolls her eyes. “Anyways, did you hear?”

 

Minjeong lifts her head off the table and looks at Ningning with a sigh.

 

“Hear what?” She asks, slightly uninterested.

“Why are you so lethargic?” Ningning asks with a quizzical expression.
“Ugh - I stayed up overthinking - and now I’m tired and still overthinking.” Minjeong sighs.

“Why?” Ningning asks, concerned.
“Jimin hasn’t messaged me since like three days ago.” Minjeong says.

“Why? Do you want me to ask her?” Ningning says and Minjeong shakes her head.

“No, Jimin just gets into these moods and she doesn’t communicate properly with anyone, so I let her have space - but it’s also like, I’m clingy and I miss my best friend.” Minjeong pouts.

“Of course.” Ningning snorts.

 

Minjeong’s pout deepens and Ningning finds herself softening, but then she remembers what she was trying to say to when she sat down.

 

“Anyways! We’re off topic!” Ningning exclaims.

“Yes - what am I meant to hear about?” Minjeong asks, sitting up.

“You know Hwang Yeji?” Ningning asks and Minjeong nods.

“Jimin’s crush?” Minjeong asks and Ningning nods.

“Well - she’s back from Canada!” Ningning grins and Minjeong straightens up.

“Oh my god - Jimin has a chance again!” Minjeong exclaims.

“I know!” Ningning says.

 

The doors of the cafeteria open and everyone begins to chatter when Yeji walks in with her bright smile. Everyone greets her and she greets back like a humble celebrity and Minjeong’s eyes stray to where Jimin and Aeri are walking right beside her— engaging in a seemingly joyous conversation.

 

Minjeong frowns slightly at the sight of Jimin being normal with Yeji.

 

“Wow - she’s so pretty.” Ningning gushes and Minjeong agrees even though she feels sad for some reason.

 

Aeri waves to Ningning and pulls Yeji along towards their table as Jimin trails behind.

 

“Hey, baby!” Aeri kisses Ningning on the cheek. “You remember Yeji, right?” 

“Of course I do!” Ningning beams. “Girl, you look amazing!”
“Thank you.” Yeji ducks her head shyly.

“Minjeong - Yeji.” Aeri introduces them.
“I know.” Minjeong musters a smile. “Good to have you back.”
“It’s good to be back, especially seeing everyone.” Yeji beams.

“Including Jimin, am I right?” Aeri nudges Jimin and Yeji and they both blush.

 

Minjeong sees Jimin acting bashful and for some reason, she feels really petty. Minjeong huffs and turns away, and Jimin catches this. 

 

“Let’s get you something to eat, Yej.” Aeri says, linking arms with Yeji as they make their way to the cafeteria line.

 

Jimin sits down beside Minjeong as she places a hand on Minjeong’s knee and squeezes it.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” Jimin asks her worriedly and Minjeong pouts, nods and looks away.

 

Her eyes meet Ningning across the table who shrugs. Jimin frowns slightly before reaching into her bag to bring out a tangerine— which Minjeong loves. 

 

“Minjeong-ah, I have your favourite.” Jimin nudges her.

“I don’t feel like it.” Minjeong says softly and Jimin frowns.

 

She peels it as Minjeong looks away, talking to Ningning.

 

“I peeled it for you.” Jimin says and Ningning almost melts at the sight of Jimin— their very brooding, taller, older and sometimes scary looking friend, who looks so cute and precious in front of Minjeong.

 

Minjeong breaks almost immediately at the sound of Jimin’s cute voice and her face as she holds the neatly peeled tangerine. Jimin even took off most of the white stringy bits for Minjeong. She sighs before taking the tangerine and splitting it in half before shoving the entire other half into Jimin's mouth to stop her butthurt puppy expression. 

 

“I’m not mad at you.” Minjeong says and she breaks her half into smaller pieces to eat. 

 

Jimin chews on the entire half with much struggle and swallows it.

 

“Are you sure?” Jimin asks and Minjeong nods.

“Yes.” Minjeong answers, eating the tangerine.

 

Jimin looks at her intently— blinking like a cat before Minjeong huffs and looks at Jimin.

 

“Why haven't you texted me all week?” Minjeong pouts and Jimin blinks.

“You know how I get when I’m playing, Minjeong.” Jimin says softly, referring to her piano.

“I know…” Minjeong grumbles—- feeling pathetic. “But I messaged you and you didn’t reply to any of them.”
“I’m sorry. I’ll do better.” Jimin squeezes Minjeong’s side affectionately and Minjeong squirms.

“I’m ticklish!” Minjeong elbows her gently.

“I know.” Jimin smirks.

 

Ningning joins in and begins tickling Minjeong too.

 

“W-wait!” Minjeong loses her breath.

 

Aeri and Yeji return to a peculiar sight of Minjeong squirming around in Jimin’s arms as Ningning tickles her stomach.

 

“S-stop!” Minjeong giggles breathlessly. “t-this is embarrassing!”

 

Ningning stops when she sees Yeji and Aeri, and so does Jimin but she doesn’t let go of Minjeong— holding her by the waist as she grins at Minjeong’s red cheeks and heavy breathing.

 

“You guys are so annoying.” Minjeong pouts. 

“You love us!” Ningning sticks her tongue out and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“You guys are so close, it’s so nice to see.” Yeji says softly.

“Don’t worry - you spend one day with us and you’ll fit right in.” Ningning snorts.

“And especially if you go out with us.” Aeri finds that it’s the right time to bring it up. “There’s a party tonight - we should all go together.”



 



 

Jimin and Minjeong arrive at the club together with linked arms since usually, Minjeong holds hands with Jimin only on a daily basis, but today she’s trying to set her up with Yeji so they can't be too close.

 

The club line is fairly long at this time as they line up, but soon get ushered in.

 

They spot their friends immediately as they are loud and dancing hyper.

 

“Hey!” Aeri spots them and pulls them through the crowd. Jimin slides her hand down to Minjeong’s hand and intertwines their hands securely.

 

They spot everyone else including Somi, Yunjin, Chaewon, Mark, Johnny, Jaemin, Beomgyu— and more around a table of drinks.

 

“Shot for you, and you!” Ningning hands them two shots and Minjeong scuffs it down like water and it burns .

“Eugh - what was that!” Minjeong coughs it up immediately and Jimin rubs her back.

“Vodka!” Ningning beams.

 

Jimin wipes with the back of her hand and wipes Minjeong’s mouth before putting the shot glasses down.

 

“Hey, Jimin!” Yeji beams and Minjeong quickly shakes Jimin’s hand off of hers and Jimin frowns, looking at Minjeong, but is quickly whisked away by Yeji.

 

Minjeong sits down at the table beside Somi and she ends up in between her and Jaemin.

 

“Shot?” Jaemin asks her and she nods. She takes the shot again and it burns, but she doesn’t cough this time.

 

She engages in small talk with Somi and gets distracted quickly, somehow missing a warmth beside her, even though the club is already extremely warm.

 

“It’s been so long since high school, right?” Yeji asks and Jimin nods.

“Very long - it feels like an entire decade ago.” Jimin chuckles, feeling a warmth build at her chest from the vodka.

“Have you spoken to the other girls?” Yeji asks.

“Maybe just Chaeryeong that one time I saw her in a café.” Jimin thinks back.

 

In high school, there was a big group of girls and Minjeong and Jimin were a part of it with Yeji. There was Lee Chaeryeong, Shin Ryujin, Shin Yuna, and more.

 

“We’re having a reunion with our year soon - you should go!” Yeji says and Jimin nods.

“I’ll think about it!” She answers.

“Wanna dance now?” Yeji asks and Jimin downs another shot.

“Sure!”

 

The two disappear into the dancing crowd and many of the guys get up and follow them except for Ningning, Somi, Aeri, and Jaemin. Minjeong feels odd for some reason, like her stomach is unusually tense and her shoulders are rigid.

 

“Looks like our plan is working.” Ningning nudges her as she gestures with her eyes towards Yeji and Jimin who are dancing with their arms around each other.

 

She downs two shots in a row.

 

“Woah - Minjeong, you should slow down!” Aeri tells her as she tries to grab another shot.

She gets it successfully and downs it, feeling her cheeks and chest burn red. “I’m fine.”


 

She feels tipsy later on and Somi, Aeri and Ningning have gone down to dance too. She rests her head on her elbows as she huffs out a heavy breath, eyes feeling heavy. Jaemin scoots closer and rests a hand against her thigh and Minjeong’s too tired to react.


“How about we get out of here?” Jaemin asks her beside her ear and she waves him off.

“I don’t feel like it.” Minjeong says and he frowns.

“But we’re alone.” He tries again and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“Jae, we broke up like a year ago, get over me.” She huffs. “We agreed to be friends.”

“Oh come on, Minjeong.” He scoffs with a smile. “It doesn't have to be difficult between us. We can do things as friends. Didn’t you do it with Jeongsu a few weeks ago?”

“So?” She scoffs, straightening up and opening her eyes since she feels irritated now. “It was like three months ago, and are you shaming me?” 

“N-no, Minjeong - don’t be like that.” He laughs it off and Minjeong scoots away before downing another shot.

“Don’t cross the line.” She says before getting up and feeling the alcohol rush to her.

 

She stumbles and Jaemin gets up with her, grabbing her by the arm to stabilise her. Minjeong’s body slumps and Jaemin wraps an arm around her waist.

 

Jimin comes out from the crowd— feeling her social battery already drained. She leaves Yeji with Aeri and goes back towards Minjeong, but doesn’t see her at the table, instead she sees Jaemin leading her to the bathroom. 

 

She moves quickly and reaches them, grabbing Minjeong by her arm and pulling her towards her.

 

“I got her.” Jimin says, stopping Jaemin.

“I was going to help her sober up.” Jaemin says, not letting go.

“I said I got her.” Jimin’s eyes darken and Jaemin lets go of Minjeong. 

“Thank you.” She smirks.

 

Jimin intertwines their hands and wraps a secure arm around Minjeong’s waist before leading her outside, where a convenience store is down the street. She stops outside where the plastic chairs are and makes Minjeong sit on one under the giant umbrella.

 

She goes inside and quickly buys a hangover tonic and water, as well as bread for Minjeong to snack on.

 

“Drink.” She instructs Minjeong and holds the bottle for Minjeong to drink.

 

Minjeong finishes the tonic and half of the water.


“Eat this.” Jimin unwraps the bread and Minjeong eats it like a sloth. Jimin chuckles before sitting across from Minjeong at the table.

 

Minjeong’s no longer sleepy and drowsy, but now she’s slightly hysterical and bubbly.

 

“Okay,  me - your best friend, Kendall Jenner - celeb crush, Yeji, and your dad, all in a crowded room”, Minjeong begins with her cheeks flushed red and her eyes droopy. “Who are you going to pick?”

 

Jimin watches her fondly and chuckles at Minjeong’s lightweight state.

 

“Why aren’t you answering me?” Minjeong pouts and whines. 

 

Jimin reaches over and fixes Minjeong’s bangs, pushing them aside.

 

“I’d choose you.” Jimin says.

“Over your dad? Kendall Jenner? Your longtime campus crush?!” Minjeong blabbers and Jimin smiles softly.

“I’d choose you over anyone.” Jimin tells her.

“You’re crazy Yu Jimin!” Minjeong exclaims and Jimin clasps a hand over Minjeong’s mouth.

“Okay - we’re going home now.” Jimin stands up and crouches in front of Minjeong.

“What are you…doing?” Minjeong slurs.

“I’m offering a piggy-back ride since you’re in no state of walking home on your own.” Jimin says, looking over her shoulder. “Quickly before I change my mind.”

 

Minjeong wastes no time to drape her entire body weight against Jimin’s back. Jimin strangles a breath of air before grabbing Minjeong’s legs and standing up slowly. Minjeong wraps her arms around Jimin’s shoulders and nuzzles against Jimin’s neck. Jimin walks them back to Minjeong’s apartment in silence as she listens to Minjeong’s breathing against her neck. She looks up at the sky and sees the stars twinkling abnormally brighter on this night, and something settles in the pits of Jimin’s soul.

 

She might just be a little in love with Kim Minjeong.



 



 

Minjeong wakes up and she rolls over— expecting to roll on top of her best friend like she usually does, but she keeps rolling and feels the flat wrinkled sheets of her bed. She peeks an eye open and sees no sign of Jimin.

 

She pouts.

 

She gets up from her bed and enters the kitchen and living room to see Jimin lying down on the couch with an arm over her eyes. Minjeong stalks over and stands above Jimin, staring down at her— blocking the sunlight.

 

“Kim Minjeong.” Jimin says and Minjeong doesn’t startle. “You’re a lightweight. Can you please be more mindful of the drinks you intake?”

Minjeong ignores her completely. “Why didn’t you sleep with me?”

 

Jimin drops her arm and looks up to Minjeong.

 

“I did, but I woke up earlier to make you breakfast, and now I’m lying down because my back hurts.” Jimin answers.

“I bet your back hurts from the couch.” Minjeong quips. “Why didn’t you come back to bed with me?”
“My back actually hurts from you because I carried you all the way home.” Jimin smirks and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“Sleeping in my bed would’ve made it feel better.” Minjeong pouts and Jimin smiles softly.

“Okay.” Jimin chuckles fondly. “Eat breakfast and then I’ll come lay down with you.”

 

Minjeong beams and immediately scampers away to the dinner table where Jimin had prepared toast and scrambled eggs for Minjeong with a side of fresh juice. Jimin gets up and sits across from Minjeong, watching her eat like a child.

 

“You’re not eating?” Minjeong asks.

“I ate the ugly and burnt pieces while making this.” Jimin dismisses and Minjeong snorts.

“Of course this wasn’t prepared with perfection.” Minjeong says and Jimin rolls her eyes.

“It was prepared with love, alright?” Jimin tsks and Minjeong beams.

 

Toast crumbs make their home at the corner of Minjeong’s lips and at her chin. Jimin chuckles fondly before her thumb and reaching over to swipe away the pieces and Minjeong blinks like a fish.

 

“Can you eat cleaner?” Jimin asks with a teasing smile and Minjeong scowls.

“I’m at home! And I’m with you - I don’t need to eat cleanly!” Minjeong argues and Jimin just pats her head.

“Okay, okay - I’m not bickering with you this early in the morning.” Jimin shakes her head slightly.

 

Minjeong brushes her teeth and returns to bed where she leaves a space for Jimin. Jimin reluctantly gets into the bed and kicks off her slippers just as Minjeong pulls her by the arm— causing her to lose balance and crash onto the bed.

 

Minjeong snuggles up to her like a worm and makes a home right on Jimin’s chest and entire body as she drapes her legs over Jimin as well.

 

Jimin sighs and closes her eyes as her body relaxes against Minjeong’s.

 

“Do you have classes today?” Minjeong asks, looking up at Jimin’s face— eyes darting everywhere.

 

Jimin shakes her head with her eyes still closed as her hair rubs against the pillow.

 

“Do you?” She asks.

“No.” Minjeong answers. “...then can we stay here all day?” 

“Whatever you want.” Jimin smiles.


 

Jimin’s mother had always told her when she was younger to not be swayed by people, and to have her own choices too. She did have that kind of mindset for a while, but when she met Minjeong in seventh grade and became best friends with her in ninth, Jimin found that she didn’t need to think at all in Minjeong’s presence. Jimin finds that it’s easier to follow along with whatever Minjeong does because it makes her happy and it makes Jimin happy too.

 

Jimin thinks she remembers a time when she was younger and wished for a best friend who would give her things she wants in return. When she grew up, it was hard to find. It seemed like whatever she did was never good enough and she’d never get the same in return. It started with forgotten birthdays, lack of communication— and Jimin started to think friends weren’t worth it at all, and she knows school is fleeting and will happen once and never again, but Jimin likes to hold onto things until she leaves a mark.

 

Minjeong lets her hold on— always telling her she’ll stay and never leave.

 

When her mother passes away from cancer in tenth grade, Jimin falls back quietly alone. Jimin stays in a house with her father now and she rarely sees him as he works early and late in the night. Somehow, Jimin feels they’ve become estranged. Days later and Jimin grows sick of the world. Jimin’s used to all those people reaching out to her and telling her she looks terrible and should eat something, or get up and get some sun— but they don’t get what she’s feeling. 

 

She just can’t.

 

Jimin stays in bed all day and she withers away, staring at the wall silently.

 

Minjeong shows up from day one, but she isn’t like everyone else. Minjeong comes over and almost practically moves into Jimin’s house, quietly, and subtly. Jimin’s dad stays out late from working and Jimin doesn’t see him much, or rather at all. 

 

Jimin becomes attuned to Minjeong’s presence after a while. Minjeong doesn’t speak to her much during this time. She cooks, she cleans, she makes sure to wash Jimin’s clothes, and does it before or after Jimin showers. She does her homework in the living room and watches TV quietly. At night, Minjeong climbs into the same bed as Jimin and hugs the girl tightly to sleep. Jimin’s too tired to protest but she knows that she’d never say no to Minjeong.

 

Minjeong’s just Minjeong.


Softly, Kindly, and warmly— Minjeong’s there.

 

Minjeong disappears a lot during the day because she still has school, and Jimin knows she should get up to go too, but her body is too heavy and she can't bring herself to see anymore people if it’s not Minjeong. And anyways, Minjeong always comes back to her after school— not that Jimin has been keeping track.

 

On the days Minjeong goes to school, Jimin finds herself waiting by the door like an obedient dog. She sits at the foot of her bed curled into a blanket, blankly staring at her out of her window to see if Minjeong’s coming over again.

 

The door buzzes and Minjeong walks herself into Jimin’s house, walking straight to Jimin's room as she kicks off her shoes by the door. Minjeong comes back with a soft smile upon seeing Jimin on the edge of the bed and she walks through Jimin’s house like a gentle spring breeze. She goes over to the record player on Jimin’s desk and puts a vinyl on, playing a sweet song on a low volume. She walks over to Jimin and pushes the blanket aside, grabbing ahold of Jimin’s hands with her own, and the latter doesn’t protest— entranced by Minjeong’s soft expression under the light of the sunset coming through the open windows Minjeong had opened earlier that morning.

 

“...what are we doing?” Jimin asks quietly, voice hoarse from the lack of use. She’s only shared short, quiet whispers with Minjeong across all this time— yet the latter still stays and whispers back, just as softly.

“We’re dancing.” Minjeong says softly.

 

She brings Jimin’s hands up over her shoulders and she rests her own hands at Jimin's waist— pulling her closer.

 

“Why?” Jimin asks, eyes getting lost in Minjeong’s gaze.

“Because I just got my results for the creative writing program I entered from our English teacher.” Minjeong tells her with a happy smile.

“How did you.. how’d you do?” Jimin asks, feeling a bit awkward and bad for not keeping track of things.

“Before I say - I can see what you’re thinking.” Minjeong tuts at her and Jimin blinks. “It’s okay that you’ve missed out on things. You’re grieving, plus I didn’t tell anyone because I entered it on a whim.”

“Sorry.” Jimin finds herself apologising, cheeks flushed.

“You don’t have to apologise.” Minjeong shrugs with a soft smile. “And… I got first place.”

 

Jimin stops moving and Minjeong blinks at her.

 

“What?” Minjeong blinks and Jimin finally smiles after quite a while. She smiles softly and Minjeong almost melts at the sight.

“Kim Minjeong, you’re incredible.” Jimin breathes out and Minjeong blushes furiously.

“Yah! You can’t say things like that…” Minjeong grumbles, pulling herself closer to Jimin as she leans her head against Jimin’s shoulder— pushing her face into Jimin’s nape.

“Why?” Jimin chuckles lightly, wrapping her arms more comfortably around Minjeong’s shoulders and her frame.

“I’m not used to you saying things like that…” Minjeong mumbles. “You’re very nonchalant usually and just say things like ‘good job’.” 

 

Jimin frowns slightly.

 

“Should I say these things more often?” Jimin asks and Minjeong shakes her head lightly.

“No.” Minjeong smiles into Jimin’s shoulder. “I like that you’re nonchalant. I don’t want you to change for no reason, plus one of us has to be the calm one between us.”
Jimin snorts, “Seems about right.”

 

The sun sets Jimin’s entire childhood bedroom orange as Minjeong and Jimin slow dance comfortably. This was something Minjeong used to do alone in her own room when she was feeling bummed out or tired. Soon, when she found Jimin feeling the same way, she introduced it to Jimin. Minjeong would come over or Jimin would go to her house, or in an empty classroom, and Minjeong would pull out her phone or an old radio and play any song, and she’d make Jimin dance with her.

 

It was hilarious to Minjeong to see Jimin flounder awkwardly until Minjeong led the way and made Jimin learn how to dance without care.



 

They’re way past high school— now in their third year of college and things change and things don’t.

 

Minjeong rushes over to Jimin’s apartment in a flurry after the girl hadn’t replied back to her the whole day. She stops in front of Jimin’s apartment and breathes heavily as she presses the door knob and stands anxiously, waiting for Jimin to open the door.

 

The door opens and there comes Jimin with bleary eyes and askew glasses in all her oversized pyjamas and bed hair glory.

 

Minjeong jumps onto Jimin, wounding her arms tightly around Jimin’s neck as she hugs her— breathing in her scent of home. Jimin stumbles back, hands instinctively at Minjeong’s hips to steady her as they fall back into the apartment— door closing soundly behind them.

 

“What- Minjeong?” Jimin’s voice is croaky and Minjeong is holding onto her like she might disappear. 

 

Minjeong closes her eyes tightly as she buries herself against Jimin’s neck, inhaling the smell of Jimin’s shampoo and her laundry detergent. It is sweet and warm like autumn.

 

“Minjeong, hey.” Jimin feels the desperation in the smaller girl's embrace as she tries to glance at Minjeong’s face, pulling away slightly.

 

Jimin holds Minjeong’s cheeks in her hand and brushes away Minjeong’s hair out from her face as Minjeong’s hands slide down to her waist. Minjeong’s face is round and her cheeks are red as her bottom lip juts out in a hard pout.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jimin asks her softly and Minjeong hugs her again. Jimin smiles softly, losing balance again as her back touches the back of her living room couch.

“You didn’t talk to me all day…” Minjeong mumbles into Jimin’s shirt and Jimin smiles.

“Minjeong…” Jimin coos, pulling away to see Minjeong’s face.

 

She leans down and looks Minjeong in the eye.

 

“I’m sorry.” She says. “I stayed up last night with my piano piece, and did the same thing when I woke up and practised until I napped, and then woke up and then I went to bed again.” 

“You were feeling okay today?” Minjeong asks quietly and Jimin nods.

“I’m okay. You don’t have to worry too much.” Jimin says.

“But it's around that time again.” She mentions vaguely but Jimin knows Minjeong is referring to her mother’s passing anniversary. Jimin grins at Minjeong’s way of working around saying it and she finds it sweet— Minjeong’s sensitivity.

“I know.” Jimin nods. “You always make it better.” 

“I do?” Minjeong blinks.

“You do.” Jimin nods.

 

Jimin sits back on the couch top edge and pulls Minjeong in between her legs as she hugs the girl this time.

 

“Do you want to shower and come to bed with me?” Jimin asks and Minjeong nods.




 

Jimin waits at the foot of her bed for Minjeong to come out of the shower. Minjeong has always taken quite a while to shower, but surprisingly— she comes out after ten minutes smelling fresh like spring.

 

“You showered quick.” Jimin quips.

“Really?” Minjeong asks as she goes over to Jimin’s vanity shelf to grab a cotton swab for her ears.

“Were you scared I might disappear?” Jimin smirks and Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“I would say no, but I did miss you today - so yes.” Minjeong smiles and Jimin chuckles.

 

Jimin watches quietly as Minjeong busies herself around Jimin’s room— toning her face, putting on a serum and then moisturiser. She then takes Jimin’s hair brush and brushes through her short hair. 

 

Jimin’s eyes trail her like a cctv camera. 

 

She puts on lip balm and Jimin pretends her eyes didn’t stray and linger at her lips for too long. 

 

Minjeong plops down on Jimin’s bed and spreads like pancake batter. Jimin looks over at her with a soft expression before turning off the lamp that was lighting up the room, and moving to lay beside Minjeong— facing her.

 

“I can’t believe you came over here so late.” Jimin says, noticing that her bedside clock says that it’s 01:35 am.

“It’s never too late to see you.” Minjeong says nonchalantly and Jimin snorts.

“You’re crazy.” Jimin says affectionately.

“Crazy for you.” Minjeong grins smugly before leaning forward and scooting in until she’s tucked under Jimin’s chin with her legs draped over Jimin’s body.

 

Jimin rests her hand comfortably at the small of Minjeong’s back as she rubs the girl’s back soothingly under her shirt. Her other hand rests behind her head at her pillow. Minjeong sighs contentedly as Jimin’s touch almost lulls her to sleep.

 

“Tired?” Jimin asks and Minjeong hums, nodding sleepy as her hair tickles Jimin’s neck. 

“Sleep then.” Jimin says softly. “You don’t have to stay up just ‘cause I am.”
“But I want to keep you company…” Minjeong mumbles and Jimin chuckles.

“Minjeong-ah, you’re quite literally seconds away from passing out.” She says as she stops rubbing Minjeong’s back.

“Don’t.. don’t stop rubbing my back…” Minjeong sighs— words blurring together.

“Okay. Sleep and I won’t stop.” Jimin says and Minjeong nods her head lightly.

 

Jimin continues to rub Minjeong’s back until Minjeong’s breathing evens out, and sleep takes Jimin away too.


 

 



 

Minjeong was home with her mother after Jimin had mentioned she was going back to her dad’s house to have dinner with him, so Minjeong went home and prepared some side dishes with her mom to bring along.

 

Jimin drives up to Minjeong’s house and parks the car before going up to Minjeong’s house. She presses the doorbell and stands outside patiently. Instead of Minjeong who comes to greet her, it’s Minjeong’s mom that opens the door.

 

“Eomoni - I’m here to pick up Minjeong.” Jimin bows. 

“Jimin! Come in, come in.” She pulls her inside.

 

Jimin takes off her shoes and raises her head to look for Minjeong.

 

“She’s in the kitchen, honey.” Minjeong’s mom tells her and she nods.

 

She finds Minjeong quickly, who is wrapping containers of side dishes into a bundle.

 

“What are you doing?” Jimin asks her— startling her a bit.

“Hey!” Minjeong beams, coming over the counter to hug Jimin tightly. Jimin hugs her back and they pull away before she repeats her question.

“What are these?” She gestures to the two bundles on the kitchen counter.

“Side dishes.” Minjeong says. “Thought it’d be nice to bring some for your dad since he doesn’t cook often.” 

 

Jimin smiles at her thoughtful best friend.

 

“He’ll love them. Thanks, Minjeongie.” Jimin pats the top of Minjeong’s hair and she beams.

“Hurry and take Minjeong away.” Mrs Kim says. “She’s been bossing me around in the kitchen all afternoon, I’m sick of her bossy .”

Jimin laughs. “Yes, eomoni - and thank you for helping Minjeong.” 

“See that, my Jimin has more manners than my own daughter.” Mrs Kim tuts and Minjeong grumbles.

 

They both bid Minjeong’s mother goodbye before Jimin takes both bundles in hand before taking them to the car and putting them in the back seat. The drive is nice and warm as Minjeong has the windows rolled down a quarter down as she plays their playlist in the car.

 

When they arrive, Minjeong gets out of the car first and bounces her way up to the steps of Jimin’s childhood house. Jimin shakes her head fondly before taking out the side dishes and locking the car.

 

The door swings open and Minjeong hugs Mr. Yu immediately.

 

“Abeoji!” Minjeong beams and Mr. Yu holds her and spins her around.

“How’s my Minjeong doing!” He laughs like Santa before putting Minjeong on the ground.

“I’ve been good, abeoji.” Minjeong smiles.

“Is Jimin treating you well?” He asks with a loud whisper.

“Appa, I can hear you.” Jimin says unimpressed as she enters the house, kicking her shoes off.

“Yes - only Jiminie treats me well in this world.” Minjeong says dramatically and Jimin rolls her eyes.

“Oh - what are these?” He asks as grabs one of the bundles from Jimin’s hands.

“I made side dishes with my mom to give to you!” Minjeong says.

“That’s wonderful, Minjeong! Thank you, dear.” He kisses her crown and Minjeong grins like a child.

 

They settle into the house and Jimin helps her dad bring out the rice and other dishes he cooked earlier to the table on the ground. Minjeong had been instructed by both Yu’s to sit and look pretty, and Minjeong was pouty because she really wanted to help.

 

“You did enough, Minjeong-ah.” Jimin chuckles fondly as she sits beside Minjeong on her own cushion. Minjeong naturally leans towards Jimin until their knees are touching. “You cooked and brought side dishes.”

“I don’t like sitting still.” Minjeong says and Jimin smiles before placing her hand comfortably on Minjeong’s leg.
“I know.” Jimin says. “Set the rice then.”

Minjeong beams before getting the rice paddy and scooping out three servings for them.

 

“So, how’s school?” Mr. Yu says as he begins to eat. 

“Pretty good.” Minjeong answers. “But it’ll get worse since exams are coming up.”

“I remember when I used to do tests - it was horrible.” Mr. Yu shudders and Jimin rolls her eyes fondly. 

“I only get through tests because of Jimin. She makes me study all the time.” Minjeong says and Jimin snorts.

“Are you complaining?” Jimin asks with a raise of her brow and Minjeong shakes her head cutely.

“No…” Minjeong snuggles up to her.

 

Mr. Yu watches them fondly.

 

Dinner goes by quickly and the sun completely disappears, and it begins to rain suddenly.

 

“It’s raining.” Minjeong says as she looks out the window beside the couch.

“Huh. Wasn’t it sunny this morning?” Jimin frowns as she peels a tangerine on the floor.

“It was. It was a nice day.” Minjeong pouts.

“I think it might be those sunny storms.” Mr. Yu says as he takes the dishes and scoops away some of the tangerine peels from the table. “You girls might have to stay here tonight.”
“Is that okay with you, Min?” Jimin asks Minjeong.

“Yes! It’ll be like the old times!” Minjeong beams as she jumps up from the couch.

“...cute.” Jimin mumbles fondly.

“Abeoji - I’ll help you with the dishes!” Minjeong says but Jimin gets up from the floor and grabs the hem of Minjeong’s shirt.

“Eat this first.” Jimin gives Minjeong the neatly peeled tangerine.

“Thanks!” Minjeong shoves the entire thing in and Jimin shakes her head with amusement.

“I’m going to shower.” Jimin says before going to her room.

 

Minjeong chews on the tangerine with her cheeks full as she rinses the dishes Mr. Yu scrubs, and she’s glad Jimin always buys seedless tangerines.

 

“Did you eat a tangerine?” He asks and Minjeong nods. Minjeong finishes chewing and swallows thickly to answer him.

“Jimin peeled it for me.” Minjeong grins.

“Really? She did?” Mr. Yu’s eyes widen.

“Yeah.. why?” Minjeong blinks at his surprise.

“Jimin’s hated the smell of tangerines ever since she was a baby. She hated peeling them and she hated them when I brought them home.” Mr. Yu chuckles reminiscently. “We’d stop buying them all together ‘cause Jimin used to get so angry when she smelt it or saw a hint of orange.”

“Oh.” Minjeong blinks.

 

But…

 

Jimin’s always been peeling Minjeong’s mandarins for her. Minjeong dislikes the lingering smell of it too, so Jimin always peeled them for her— even buying them and bringing them for Minjeong when they go to school, or when they go out together.

 

“That’s weird.” Minjeong shrugs.

“Must’ve changed ‘cause of you.” Mr. Yu nudges her and Minjeong blushes involuntarily.

“...right.” She grins bashfully.

 

Minjeong finishes washing the dishes and Jimin comes out of the shower, trailing steam behind her.

 

“I left you clothes on the towel rack.” Jimin tells her as she passes through. 

“Okay.” Minjeong nods before bouncing off the bathroom.

 

Jimin dries her hair with her towel before putting it over her shoulder and going over to her dad, who’s wiping the table with a wet rag. She grabs the side dishes and her dad grabs the other bundle once he’s done. They stand side by side at the fridge as they unpack the containers and find a way to fit them all in the fridge.

 

“Minjeong’s so nice.” Her dad says. “I didn’t even ask her to bring side dishes.”
“She’s like that.” Jimin says with a soft smile.

 

Jimin crouches as she begins to fill the bottom shelf and her dad stands and holds the fridge door to protect Jimin from colliding with it.

 

“It must be nice to be so close after so long.” Her dad says. “I don’t even remember if I’m still friends with people I went to highschool with.”

“You went to school with mom.” Jimin snorts.

“That doesn’t count.” Her dad laughs. “We grew up together since diapers because we were neighbours in that tiny town.” 

 

Jimin stands up and stretches her back as she closes the fridge and leans back on the counter, and her dad does the same against the fridge.

 

“Jimin…” He says quietly and Jimin blinks— looking up to him.

“Mm?” She hums.

“How have you been doing since then?” He asks gently. “I don’t… I don’t think I ever got a chance to ask since I was always working.”

“It wasn’t your fault… you were providing for us.” She shrugs dismissively.

“Still…. I should’ve been there.” He shrugs and Jimin smiles.

“It’s okay… plus, Minjeong was there.” Jimin tells him.

“Really?” He asks.

“Minjeong used to stay with me here when you weren’t home.” Jimin says. “She used to cook for me, wash my clothes, catch me up with work I’ve missed, and sleep beside me.”

“I… I never knew Minjeong did all those things for you.” He says thoughtfully.

 

Jimin just grins bashfully and shrugs.

 

“She did.. still is.” Jimin says and he smiles gratefully.

“I’ll have to thank her then - for making my beautiful girl happy.” He says.

 

Jimin grins and she turns to look in Minjeong’s direction, where she’s still running a shower in the bathroom.

 

“Do you love her?” He asks suddenly and Jimin turns back to him like a deer caught in the headlights.

“What?” Jimin questions.

“Do you love Minjeong?” He asks like it’s simple.

“O-of course.” Jimin answers.

“Do you love her like that?” He asks and Jimin’s face blushes red. 

 

Jimin in a breath and she sees Minjeong in her mind, and she feels Minjeong on every inch of her body.

 

“I do.” She answers with confidence.

“Will you tell her?” He asks and Jimin freezes.

“I-I can’t…” Jimin sighs. “We’re not even together - and for all I know, she’s straight.”
“You don’t know unless you try.” He says. “Maybe she’s waiting for your greenlight.”




 

Jimin returns to her room to find Minjeong sitting on her bed with her hair already dried.

 

“Your hair’s still wet.” Minjeong says, standing up and coming towards Jimin to touch the bottom of her long hair.

“I’ll just air dry it.” She says and Minjeong frowns.

“That’s why your hair’s always frizzy and stringy - I’ll dry it for you, come.” Minjeong pulls her to the bathroom and makes her sit on the closed toilet seat.

 

Minjeong plugs in the hairdryer again and brushes out Jimin’s hair before drying it. The white noise of the dryer fills the silence and Jimin closes her eyes, feeling the warmth and the soft gentleness of Minjeong’s hands running through her hair.

 

“Is it too hot?” Minjeong asks and Jimin shakes her head, humming deeply.

 

Minjeong rubs oil into Jimin’s hair before brushing it all the way down again.

 

“Done.” Minjeong says and she unplugs the hairdryer, packs it away and turns off the bathroom light— taking Jimin by the hand and pulling her out. 

 

Jimin lies down on the bed and stretches her arms over her head as she places them comfortably under her head. 

 

“Why aren’t you laying beside me?” Jimin asks, looking to her side to see Minjeong.

“We haven’t danced yet.” Minjeong says.

 

Jimin blinks and looks to her other side where her bedside clock is.

 

“Min, it’s one in the morning.” Jimin deadpans and Minjeong shrugs happily.

“So. It’s never too late for dancing.” She says before getting off the bed.

“But I took my record player with me when I moved, remember?” Jimin asks.

“Don’t worry, I got it.” Minjeong pulls out her phone and puts on her playlist— selecting a song and placing it down on the table at a nice volume. 

 

Jimin chuckles fondly before pushing herself off of her bed.

 

The music plays at a loud volume and Jimin bows at Minjeong— reaching a hand out. Minjeong giggles before latching onto Jimin's outstretched hand. Jimin pulls Minjeong close by the waist and rests her hands at the small of Minjeong’s back. Minjeong wraps her arms over Jimin’s shoulders— tiptoeing in the slightest bit.

 

Jimin sings along as she sways left and right, being mindful of her bed and the rest of the furniture in her room.

 

Minjeong smiles brightly as she watches Jimin.

 

“You’re in a good mood.” Minjeong comments.

“Maybe it’s because I’m with you right now.” Jimin shrugs and Minjeong blinks, feeling a blush rise to her cheeks. She hugs Jimin and hides her face in Jimin’s shoulder.

“You can’t keep saying things like that!” Minjeong whines and Jimin laughs.
“You’re still not used to me saying these things to you?” She giggles and Minjeong grumbles.

“Because you only say these things when we’re alone - you never say it with other people around!” Minjeong complains and Jimin grins.
“I’m all reserved for you - I just want you to hear it.” Jimin says softly.

“I like hearing it… it just makes me shy.” Minjeong says after a beat. 

“Shy Minjeong.” Jimin chuckles. “What am I going to do with you?”

“You have to treat me well because my heart is little and I don’t want it to break.” Minjeong pouts as she pulls away to look at Jimin.

“Then it’s good that I have a lot of love to give to you.” Jimin cups Minjeong’s cheek and rubs the shell of her ear before holding the back of her head and bringing her head down to kiss Minjeong’s forehead. “I’ll keep you safe.”

 

Minjeong closes her eyes and basks in the love her best friend only gives to her.



 



 

Jimin’s at her apartment running her hands over her keyboard lightly as she eyes at her sheet music and makes corrections and changes to it with a sharp pencil. She’s meant to meet up with Yeji and the rest of their high school classmates for the reunion later at dinner, so now she’s passing time by brushing up with her music assignment.

 

Minjeong had opted out on going and Jimin didn’t press why, but it seemed like Minjeong didn’t want to go.

 

And now suddenly, Minjeong’s in her apartment again. Jimin halts her practice and opens the door to reveal Minjeong wearing a large coat over pyjamas.

 

“Hi?” Jimin blinks.

“Hi.” Minjeong comes in and sits down on Jimin’s couch.

“What are you doing here?” Jimin asks.

“I’m sleeping over.” Minjeong says and Jimin blinks.

“But I’m not going to be home until later?” Jimin says.

“I know. I’m going to wait for you here.” Minjeong beams and Jimin chuckles.

“Maybe you should just come.” Jimin tells her. “They’d like to see you.” 

“I’m… I’m too tired and lazy. Just go and come back to me, okay? Tell me about it later.” Minjeong dismisses and Jimin doesn’t let the way Minjeong grows uncomfortable go unnoticed.
“Okay.” Jimin nods.

 

Jimin gets dressed and leaves Minjeong in the living room with a blanket, snacks, and the TV on.

 

She meets the rest of her friends at the restaurant they booked and Jimin finds them easily, in a long table at the centre. Ryujin, Yeji, Chaeryeong, Yuna, Jake, Heesung, Jay, and more were seated at the table. The girls were sitting on one half as the boys were on the other half. Beside Yeji was a saved seat for Jimin and she headed over.

 

“Hey.” She greets them, shrugging off her jacket and putting it on the seat. “Am I late?”
“Just by a few minutes. Plus we haven’t ordered, so it doesn’t really matter.” Yeji tells her and Jimin smiles gratefully.

“Sorry - finding parking was a pain in the .” Jimin sits down.

“Hey! Yu Jimin - glad you could make it!” Jake cheers, pointing towards her as he stands up.

“Are you drunk already?” She snorts.

“A little.” He grins, sitting back down.

“Is it me, or did you get a hundred times more prettier - Yu Jimin.” Yuna says and Jimin chuckles.

“I look the same, Yuna.” She rolls her eyes.

“No - you definitely do look better. Maybe college changed you for the better.” Chaeryeong comments.

“I could say the same, you look good, Chae.” Jimin tells her and Chaeryeong smiles shyly.

 

The food comes by, including beers but Jimin doesn’t drink since she drove here. She takes a piece of chicken and puts some tteokbokki in her bowl before blowing on it and eating it.

 

“Still pursuing music?” Ryujin asks her as she sips on her beer.

“Yeah.” Jimin answers. “I’m part of an orchestra.” 

“Seriously? I didn’t know that.” Yeji says with wide eyes and Jimin shrugs modestly.

“It’s nothing big. I only perform with them in Seoul, I can't tour with them yet because I'm still in college.” Jimin says.

“It’s still impressive.” Yeji smiles softly.

“Thanks.” Jimin nods with a smile.

“Look at you two!” Chaeryeong squeals and Jimin flinches slightly.

“What…” Yeji squirms in her seat.

 

“Hey Jiminie-Jiminie!” Jay is drunk at this point too.

“Yes?” She answers, very unimpressed.

“Where’s your little maltese?” Jay snickers and she rolls her eyes. 

“Yeah, where’s little Minjeongie?” Jake asks.

“She’s home.” She answers. “She’s feeling unwell.”

“Really?” Yuna pouts. “I really wanted to see her.”

 

Ryujin snorts quietly at what Yuna says and Jimin raises a quizzical brow.

 

“You guys are still best friends? After so long?” Chaeryeong asks and Jimin nods.

“Yeah. We’ve been stuck like glue since forever.” Jimin shrugs.

“I always thought she was a bit clingy.” Ryujin comments and Jimin looks at her.

“It was kind of cute - little Minjeong following Jimin everywhere.” Jay coos. 

“Remember when she wasn’t so little anymore.” Heesung snorts.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jimin straightens up, looking Heesung dead in the eye.

“Relax, Yu Jimin. I didn’t insinuate anything.” He grins lazily and Jimin grows agitated. 

“Is Minjeong still like that?” Ryujin asks and Jimin doesn’t really like how annoying her face suddenly is.

“Like what?” She questions.

“Popular with the boys, y’know?” Ryujin smirks and Jimin scoffs.

“Ryujin…” Yeji warns her. 

“I hope she is, ‘cause it’d be a waste.” Heesung continues obnoxiously. “I remember asking her out and she flat out rejected me, and the next day I saw her with Intak from the class below. She’s a .” 

 

Jimin stands up abruptly and reaches over and grabs Heesung by the collar of his shirt.

 

“What’d you call her?” Jimin hisses and Heesung cowers like a little boy.

“I-I - nothing!” Heesung chuckles nervously. 

“It better have been nothing.” Jimin lets go and he coughs, readjusting his shirt.

 

Jimin ignores everyone and pulls her jacket off the chair and puts it on.

 

“Jimin, where are you going?” Yeji asks.

“Back to Minjeong.” She says, throwing a fifty bill down on the table. 

 

Everyone’s looking at her with guilt or confusion and she scoffs.

 

“Y’know, I’m starting to see why Minjeong didn’t want to come tonight.” She laughs dryly before leaving the restaurant.

 

Jimin goes to her car, parked down the street and she doesn’t notice the footsteps running behind her. She turns around and sees Yeji.

 

“Jimin!” Yeji calls out. Jimin stops and looks at Yeji.

“It’s fine Yeji - just go back to them. I didn’t mean to ruin your night.” Jimin sighs.

“No, you didn’t ruin anything - just… I was going to ask if you could drive me back?” Yeji asks.

 

They both sit in the car and Jimin begins to drive Yeji home first. The car stops in front of Yeji’s dorm block and neither leaves the car.

 

“I’m really sorry about tonight.” Yeji says quietly.

“It wasn't your fault.” Jimin smiles softly.

“Still… I’m friends with them.” Yeji shrugs.

“I was too.” Jimin sighs. “I never knew they said things about Minjeong… I never noticed why she hated hanging out as an entire group.”

 

Jimin taps her finger against the steering wheel as she chews on her bottom lip— feeling very guilty for all the times she made Minjeong hang out all together with them.

 

“I’m just really sorry. I wished this dinner never happened...” Yeji sighs. “I thought it'd be nice to see them after being in Canada for two whole years, but it’s still the same as it was in high school… I guess people don’t change.” 

“You don’t have to be sorry.” Jimin places a hand at Yeji’s shoulder, rubbing comfortingly. “Nothing that happened today was your fault, okay? They’re the people that peaked in high school, and we just happened to be friends with them.” 

 

Yeji nods, looking straight into Jimin’s eyes. The hand on her shoulder distracts her and her eyes drop down to Jimin’s lips. Yeji surges forward and kisses Jimin hard and long.

 

Jimin’s nerves freeze up and she pulls away quickly, feeling an unwanted warmth at her face.

 

“Yeji.. we’re - I don’t-” Jimin stammers.

“Sorry.” Yeji sighs, sinking into her seat. “I just… everyone’s been pushing us together and I just wanted to see what would happen on impulse.”

 

Jimin swallows awkwardly and stops facing Yeji— turning to the windshield as she grips onto the steering wheel tightly to ground herself.

 

“Did you know I’ve always had a crush on Ryujin?” Yeji says and Jimin turns to her.
“What?” Jimin blinks.

“Yeah…” Yeji chuckles dryly. “I don’t know how it happened… it was just one day, I woke up and felt things for Ryujin I shouldn’t have, since everyone was pushing me to you.”
“My friends are still pushing me to you.” Jimin snorts.

“Not Minjeong, though. She’s been jealous.” Yeji humours and Jimin blinks.

“Minjeong’s been jealous?” Jimin asks and Yeji nods. “Of what?”
“Me getting close to you. I bet if you tell her I just kissed you, she’ll be mad.” Yeji smirks and Jimin blushes.

“We - we’re not like that.” Jimin stammers.

“You could be.” Yeji shrugs. “If I didn’t kiss you today, then we would’ve never sorted out our feelings.”

“Which are?” Jimin asks meekly.

“That I’m still in love with Ryujin even if I despise her and you have a crush on your best friend.” Yeji tells her and Jimin shrinks in her seat, looking away again. Fingers tapping nervously against the steering wheel.

 

“You really love her, don’t you?” Yeji smiles softly and Jimin turns to her.

“...yeah. I do.” Jimin admits quietly.

“It’s sweet… how much you care for each other.” Yeji says.

“Thanks.” Jimin smiles softly.

“I’ll be off then.” Yeji opens the car door. “Stay in touch, and let’s be good friends.”

“Sure.” Jimin nods.

“Hurry and get back to Minjeong. You don’t want to keep your ‘lover’ waiting.” Yeji smirks before closing the door.

 

Jimin grumbles with a bright blush before driving away back to her apartment where hopefully, Minjeong is still there. 

 

She keys in and enters her apartment and finds Minjeong on the couch still with the blanket and watching the television, and most of the snacks have been eaten. Minjeong’s ears perk up and she turns to see Jimin.

 

“You’re back early.” Minjeong comments as she looks at the clock above the TV. “It's only seven. It hasn’t even been two hours yet.”

 

Jimin doesn’t say much, except she has a stupid smile on her face as she kicks off her shoes and walks towards Minjeong. She takes Minjeong’s blanket off of her and drapes her body down on top of Minjeong's— snuggling up against Minjeong’s neck and breathing in her scent as she basks in her warmth too. Minjeong opens her legs and Jimin slots right in comfortably and Jimin wraps her arms around Minjeong’s frame. 

 

“How come you’re back so early?” Minjeong asks, playing with Jimin’s hair.

“I got pissed off.” Jimin’s blunt and Minjeong rolls her eyes knowingly.

“Sounds about right.” Minjeong nods.

“How come you never told me what you felt towards them?” Jimin asks against Minjeong’s neck with her eyes closed.

“It wouldn’t have mattered. I mean it was high school - was said all the time in passing.” Minjeong shrugs.

“Still…” Jimin frowns.

“Well if they pissed you off today, it means that they’re still their ty selves, so who gives a crap at this point.” Minjeong says. “What matters now is that we’re still friends and we’re closer than ever.”

 

Jimin smiles.

 

“So then what happened with Yeji?” Minjeong asks— ignoring the nagging feeling at the forefront of her mind that’s been bothering her all week. 

“She…” Jimin mumbles.

“She what?” Minjeong asks, pulling Jimin’s face up away from her neck.

“She kissed me.” Jimin says as she raises her head and looks up right into Minjeong’s eyes.

“What!” Minjeong exclaims. “And then what?!”
“She’s in love with Ryujin.” Jimin says and Minjeong deflates.

“Oh. So you… were rejected? Wait, she kissed you first.” Minjeong frowns cutely, trying to join the dots together.

“I don’t like Yeji like that.” Jimin says.

“Oh. Everyone thought you did, though?” Minjeong asks and Jimin resumes her place at Minjeong’s neck, feeling her neck grow tired from raising it.

“I just thought she was pretty. I never wanted to pursue anything.” Jimin says and Minjeong somehow feels like she’s won something unknown.

“Well… wanna watch a movie with me since you’re back so early?”

 

Minjeong plays a movie that’s old and foreign and it usually disinterests Jimin, but Jimin’s watching closely this time, barely blinking. 

 

Jimin sits watching the movie intently— eyes trained completely on the screen as Minjeong lays between her legs with a blanket loosely draped on top of them. 

 

Minjeong looks at her pensively, actively creating a thought of movement— as in her mind, she’s reaching towards Jimin like a spring breeze.

 

Minjeong cups the edge of Jimin’s jaw and presses into the jaw joint with her index finger and pushes her thumb against Jimin’s mouth as she pries open. Jimin flinches away as she blinks and turns to Minjeong with a bewildered expression.

 

“You’re clenching your jaw again.” Minjeong says, dropping her hand.

“Oh. Sorry.” Jimin blushes.

“Your teeth will hurt.” Minjeong says. “Maybe I should cut fruits for us to eat.” 

“Okay.” Jimin nods. 

 

Minjeong reluctantly gets up from her comfy position in between Jimin’s legs and moves from the warm couch. She heads to the kitchen and opens Jimin’s fridge, looking for apples or any other fruits.

 

Jimin feels a heat settle in her cheeks as she watches Minjeong retreat to the kitchen. She brings a tentative hand to where Minjeong had touched her jaw and mouth and the spot burns on her face.

 

The movie becomes distant in her mind and she begins to hear her heart in her ears.



 



 

They’re having Minjeong’s birthday party before New Year’s since they didn't want her birthday to clash with New Year’s celebrations within the following weeks. Jimin helps Minjeong set up her apartment alongside Aeri and Ningning.

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t invite a lot of people.” Aeri says as she looks through the list again and finds that it’s short.

“Well it’s not a party - just a get together, plus there’s always going to be huge parties on New Years.” Minjeong says as she packs away loose things neatly.

“True.” Aeri nods.

 

“Did you invite any boys you like?” Ningning asks and Minjeong laughs.

Did you invite any boys you like?” She mocks. “What am I - still in high school?”

“Don’t be annoying.” Ningning rolls her eyes affectionately. “Well are there any guys you asked to come?”
“Not anyone I want to take to bed.” Minjeong scoffs. “Plus - I’m over it.”
“Over what?” Ningning asks.

“Boys asking me out.” Minjeong rolls her eyes. “When we were at that club party thing - Jaemin tried to make a move on me again.”
“Seriously? That dude needs to get a grip.” Ningning frowns.

“Luckily Yuji came to rescue me.” Minjeong beams.

 

“Speaking of Yuji - how are things going with Yeji!” Aeri asks with a grin and Jimin shrugs.

“There are no things going with Yeji and I. '' Jimin says, eyes locking with Minjeong’s and the smaller girl stutters in her movement.

“Seriously? After all my hard work?” Aeri whines and Jimin grins.

“There wasn’t any hard work on your end. We went to high school together and already knew each other.” Jimin tells her. “And anyways, she’s in love with someone else.”

“Who!” Aeri shouts.

“You don’t know her.” Jimin waves off.

“Aw - my baby Jiminie got rejected.” Aeri pouts, reaching out grabby hands to hug Jimin, but Jimin swats her away.

“I didn’t get rejected.” Jimin sighs, feigning annoyance.

 

Aeri coos at her and Ningning and Minjeong watch as they snicker quietly.

 

The party is in full swing and people come in with gifts— placing them on the coffee table, and food platters, placing them on the kitchen table. 

 

Minjeong opens the door for the next guests.

 

“Hey, girl!” Yunjin beams and hugs her tightly.

“Hey, Yun.” Minjeong chuckles at the girl's enthusiasm.

“We’ve got gifts - where should we put them?” A much calmer Chaewon says.

“Just at the coffee table, thanks!” Minjeong beams.

 

They enter and there are a few guests standing behind them too.

 

“Kim Mindoong!” A masculine voice calls her name and Jimin’s suddenly interested. She looks at the door and finds Intak and another guy standing at the door. 

“I thought she said there weren’t any guys she was interested in.” Ningning pouts.

“There isn’t.” Jimin says. “That’s her high school ex-boyfriend.” 

“Really?!” Ningning lights up.

 

“Have you grown taller?” Intak asks as he lifts Minjeong up in a spinning hug.

“Yah! Let me down!” Minjeong giggles.

“Happy early birthday, Minjeong-ah.” Intak pats her head affectionately.

“Thanks.” Minjeong answers as she receives a gift from Intak.

 

She looks beside him and sees Taeyang.

 

“Oh - and I see my match making skills still work.” Minjeong nudges them both. 

“If it weren’t for you, Intak and I would have never met and I would’ve withered away with misery.” Taeyang chuckles.

“See - aren’t you glad you met me?” Minjeong grins.

“Glad that I was your boyfriend in high school and that you hooked up with Taeyang earlier in the year?” Intak humours. “Then yes - definitely.” 

“I’m just an angel, aren’t I?” Minjeong shrugs and they all laugh.

 

Jimin frowns with jealousy as she slurps on the beer in her hand.

 

“Jealous much?” Yeji’s voice startles her and she looks to her side to see that Ningning’s not beside her anymore, and is with Aeri on the other side of the room.

“Shut up.” Jimin blushes.

“It’s cute.” Yeji chuckles, slapping Jimin’s arm.

 

Minjeong sees this from across the room and pouts.

 

“I’m not jealous.” Jimin excuses.

 

Yeji smirks— noticing Minjeong’s eyes on them. Yeji wraps an arm over Jimin’s shoulders and leans in close to her ear.

 

“No, but I think she is…” Yeji says and Jimin’s eyes flit to Minjeong and their eyes meet.

 

Jimin blushes and Minjeong looks away quickly.

 

“You’re going to have to get to her before someone else does.” Yeji tsks at her and Jimin pouts like a petulant child. 

 

Jimin finds that everyone is seemingly trying to get Minjeong’s attention. Jimin hadn't brought it up yet, but she’s noticed it’s been months since Minjeong’s last disappeared with a boy and fooled around. 

 

Jimin’s never reprimanded Minjeong about it— only telling her to be safe as Minjeong would go on dates with boys for fun. Intak was her first boyfriend in high school and they lasted for a pretty long time until Intak moved schools. Then there was some other boy she doesn’t remember of, and many after that pursued her.

 

When they reached college, Minjeong went out very often and partied to let off steam. She’d hang out with a lot of guys and they’d always linger and want more from her. Later, it was Jaemin and they lasted for a few months before Minjeong broke it off.

 

Then she was back to partying, but now she was almost performing chastity.

 

Jimin scowls when she sees Beomgyu move closer to Minjeong inch by inch. She walks towards them before Beomgyu reaches her and she slips an arm around Minjeong’s waist— taking her by surprise.


“Hey- Jimin?” Minjeong turns to her and she breaks out into a smile. Jimin softens and smiles back.

“Hey, having fun?” Jimin asks her and she notices Beomgyu retreating.

“I am.” Minjeong beams as she rests a hand on top of Jimin’s hand at her stomach.

“Good.” Jimin says softly.

 

The lights dim and a light yellow glow emerges from the kitchen. 

 

Minjeong’s eyes widen.

 

“Who brought the cake?” Minjeong pouts cutely.

“We did. You just didn’t notice.” Jimin chuckles and Minjeong awes.

 

Everyone sings happy birthday and Minjeong doesn’t let Jimin leave her side as she secures both of Jimin’s arms around her waist.

 

“Make a wish!”

 

Minjeong closes her eyes and clasps her hands together as she makes a wish.

 

She blows out the candle and everyone cheers. The lights turn back on and Jimin swipes some icing before smearing it on the tip of Minjeong’s nose. Minjeong twists and looks up to see Jimin staring at her guiltily.

 

“Oops?” Jimin offers.

“You’re dead!”

 

Minjeong smears cake across Jimin’s cheek and they chase each other around until they grow tired from dodging the people in the crowd.

 

“Please keep enjoying the party - I need to change since someone decided to start a food fight.” She holds onto Jimin’s arm tightly.

 

Everyone laughs and Minjeong sighs before pulling Jimin into her bedroom.

 

Minjeong takes off her leopard print dress and slips it off onto the ground, leaving herself in her undergarments. Jimin doesn’t flinch, seemingly used to this nature of Minjeong, but it still flusters Jimin as her cheeks grow warm.  

 

Minjeong wanders around without clothes as she heads to her bathroom and washes off the cake from her face, carefully avoiding where her make-up is still perfect.

 

Jimin almost has her eyes shut and she’s glad that Minjeong didn’t turn on the room light. She goes over to Minjeong’s closet and finds one of her own old shirts that Minjeong definitely stole from her and puts it on, discarding the caked shirt on the ground.

 

Minjeong returns and Jimin looks up at Minjeong’s eyes.

 

“Minjeong, darling?” Someone knocks on the door and they recognise it as Intak.

“Yeah?” Minjeong answers.

“Are you okay in there?” Intak asks.

“Yeah! I’ll be out soon!” She answers, looking for another dress she can wear.

“Okay!” Intak leaves.

 

Jimin isn’t aware of her expression but Minjeong can see it.

 

“Why are you so angry?” Minjeong chuckles as she looks up to Jimin from crouching in front of her wardrobe.

“What? N-no I’m not.” Jimin blinks.

“Yes you are.” Minjeong stands up coming towards Jimin who backs away. “You’re scowling.”

Minjeong pokes the crease in between Jimin’s eyebrow and the taller one flinches.

 

“Am not.” Jimin defends herself.

“You sound like a child.” Minjeong chuckles.

“Can you please put clothes on?” Jimin sighs, still not looking at Minjeong properly.

“I am.” Minjeong huffs, slipping on another dress— now a light blue summer dress. 

“Thank you.” Jimin says.
“If you’re not angry, then are you jealous?” Minjeong smirks.

“Why would I be?” Jimin swallows.

“Because you just want to keep me all to yourself - don’t you, Yu Jimin?” Minjeong giggles childishly and Jimin rolls her eyes.

“Yes - I’m quite selfish.” Jimin plays along.

“Then take me for your all.” Minjeong says dramatically and Jimin laughs.

 

Minjeong struggles reaching her zipper at the back of her dress and Jimin chuckles.


“Need help?” Jimin asks and Minjeong nods, dropping her tired arm.

“Please?” She whines.

 

Jimin moves forward and zips up Minjeong’s dress slowly and carefully.

 

When she reaches the top, Jimin doesn’t know what possesses her— but it must be the drinks she had, as she glides her left hand across Minjeong’s shoulder, and her right one moves up to Minjeong’s neck.

 

She places a gentle kiss on Minjeong’s left shoulder near her nape.

 

Minjeong gasps quietly and turns her head to face Minjeong. 

 

Jimin snaps out of it and backs away.

 

“Sorry - I don’t know what came over me - I didn’t mean to - sorry.” Jimin clears . “We should go.”

Jimin heads to the door, but Minjeong grabs her by the wrist. Jimin prepares herself to face doom as she turns around to face Minjeong.

 

“Liar.” Minjeong says.

“What…” Jimin remains unblinking.

“Liar. You know what came over you.” Minjeong states boldly.

“Minjeong.. I didn’t mean to.” Jimin says quietly.

“Why not?” Minjeong asks, walking Jimin backwards towards the door.

 

Jimin’s back touches the door lightly and Minjeong’s pinning her against it.

 

“Minjeong…” Jimin utters quietly.

“I think I like you more than a best friend should, Jimin - and I need to know if you feel the same because I’ve been feeling stupid all the time, and jealous over Yeji.” Minjeong confesses and Jimin’s eyes widen.

 

Greenlight.

 

“Say something, please?” Minjeong urges her and Jimin’s suddenly tongue tied.

“S-sorry - I didn’t, um - I didn’t expect this.” Jimin stutters.

“What? Didn’t expect me to corner you after you kissed my skin?” Minjeong scoffs with a grin.

“I kiss you all the time.” Jimin frowns.

“Yeah - on the cheek and head, not on my bare shoulder.” Minjeong says and Jimin blushes.

“Sorry.” Jimin says sheepishly.

“Sorry for what?” Minjeong questions. “Because if you’re sorry for kissing me on the shoulder, I’ll kill you.”

“Um… nothing then.” Jimin flushes.

 

Minjeong huffs before pressing into Jimin more, slotting her knee in between Jimin’s legs, and placing both hands beside Jimin’s head.

 

“You’re distracting me.” Minjeong frowns. “Do you like me? Because I’m dying to know. It’s my birthday party and I don’t want to run out crying.”

“I-I do.” Jimin blurts and her ears grow warm.

 

Minjeong unknowingly breaks out in a grin hearing Jimin’s cute confession.

 

“If you like me, will you kiss me?” Minjeong asks boldly.

“I - I can’t… I’m too nervous.” Jimin’s eyes dart down to her lips and then away.

 

Minjeong wants to squeal at Jimin’s adorable nature but she doesn’t want to disrupt this moment.

 

“Then… will you let me kiss you?” Minjeong questions and it’s subtle— Jimin’s answer, but it is clear and Minjeong can see pretty well when it comes to Yu Jimin.

 

Jimin dips her head slightly in a slight nod and Minjeong’s eyes drop to the taller girl’s glistening lips. She leans in, practically breathing into Jimin’s mouth.

 

The heat grows hotter and the tension thicker and then—

 

A knock on the door startles them, but they don’t move.

 

“Yo, Minjeong! Beomyu’s looking for you!” Aeri calls out drunkenly. “He’s being cute - you should make out with him!”

 

Aeri’s voice disappears and Minjeong turns back to see Jimin’s same angry expression.

 

“You’re jealous again.” Minjeong comments.

“I am.” Jimin huffs, pushing off the door and spinning so that Minjeong’s against it now.

 

Minjeong makes a small noise of surprise as Jimin holds her hands above her hand against the door and wedges a leg between hers.

 

“Really..?” Minjeong asks, feeling Jimin’s warmth breath against her lips.

“Yes.” Jimin whispers. “I’m jealous of all the boys who loved you before me because they got to kiss you and touch you, while I haven’t.”

 

Minjeong blushes— not expecting Jimin to be so bold. But then again, this is Jimin’s first time drinking in a while, since she’s been busy with school and she drives often, but tonight she’s staying over at Minjeong’s, so she has no qualms left.

 

“I’ve never stopped you from trying.” Minjeong smirks.

“Because I have morals and boundaries, Minjeong.” Jimin chuckles.

“Well get rid of them.” Minjeong shrugs as she loosens her arms and wraps them around Jimin’s shoulders. “I want to kiss you right now and I’m feeling hot and bothered.”

 

Jimin’s eyes search all over Minjeong’s face— darting from her eyes, to her mole on her cheek, her eyelashes, her lips, and back to her eyes. 

 

“Jimin?” Minjeong calls out softly.

“I’m going to kiss you.” Jimin says and Minjeong doesn’t process it at all until she feels Jimin’s soft lips against hers.

 

Minjeong practically melts into the kiss, feeling everything all at once. Jimin loses her grip on her wrists and her hands drop down to hold Minjeong’s hips against the door. Minjeong wraps her arms around Jimin’s shoulders and brings her closer— almost wrapping a leg around Jimin.

 

Jimin pulls away for a second to catch her breath and before Minjeong can do the same, Jimin captures her lips again in a heated kiss. Minjeong’s eyes widen in surprise as she lets out a sound of pleasure and Jimin swallows it all up.

 

Minjeong pulls away and her eyes darken as she switches their positions. She pushes Jimin up against the wall and she notices the cake still on Jimin’s cheek and under her chin near her neck. 

 

Minjeong slips her hands under Jimin’s shirt and feels the warm skin of her waist, holding them firmly as she dives into Jimin’s neck.

 

She kisses Jimin’s cheek, her chin, her neck— and then she trails a line along the length of her neck, tasting and cleaning the cake frosting. 

 

Minjeong beams with glee when Jimin muffles a moan, feeling weak as she almost slips down against the door. 

 

Minjeong presses light kisses against the column of her neck. Jimin almost forgets everything she wants to say in the moment as her eyes roll back in pleasure.

 

“Min… Minjeong - wait…” Jimin gasps.

 

Minjeong presses one last lingering kiss at the base of Jimin’s neck before pulling away feeling like she’s on cloud nine.

 

“Minjeong.” Jimin says quietly, smiling lightly.

“I got carried away. Sorry.” Minjeong says quietly, smiling lightly.

“Liar.” Jimin scoffs lightly at Minjeong’s smug expression. “You’re not sorry.”

”you’re right.” Minjeong grins and Jimin rolls her eyes with affection. “I’m not sorry.”

 

Minjeong removes her hands from under Jimin’s waist and rests them at her hips over her pants. 

 

“As much as I want to continue this - I still have a party outside to attend to.” Minjeong says but doesn’t pull away from Jimin at all. 

“I know.” Jimin smiles dazedly.

“I don’t…” Minjeong ducks her head in Jimin’s shoulder bashfully, “I don’t really want to go.” 

 

Jimin grins, wrapping her arms around Minjeong and hugging her tightly.

 

“Later,” Jimin says. “I’ll stay after.” 

“…okay.” Minjeong agrees, eyes dropping down to Jimin’s glistening and very tempting lips. Jimin notices as she lets out a light chuckle. She leans down and presses a chaste kiss against Minjeong’s plump ones and Minjeong smiles happily.

 

After washing up, Minjeong leads them both out and sits Jimin down on the couch where Aeri and Ningning are sitting close to each other. She pushes Jimin in between the couple and neither of them protest, immediately babying Jimin. Jimin usually would complain, but she’s drunk and at this point— quite delirious, so instead she just rests her head on Aeri’s shoulder.

 

Minjeong grabs a water bottle and brings it back to Jimin.

 

“Make sure she finishes it.” Minjeong instructs the couple and they nod.

 

Minjeong leaves them and goes to mingle with her guests, since this is her birthday party after all.

 

“You alright?” Aeri asks and Jimin nods. 

“Sure?” Ningning asks and Jimin nods again, grabbing the water bottle.

 

She unwinds the cap and takes a good sip of it before closing it and holding the cold bottle to her face, and the back of her neck.

 

She shudders slightly— remembering the feeling of being against Minjeong like that.




 

When the night ends, the guests leave and the four friends stay behind to help Minjeong clean up. Then Aeri and Ninging leave, and Jimin stays.

 

“You should shower first - I still have to clean a little more.” Minjeong tells Jimin and she heads to the shower obediently.

“Okay. I won’t be long.” She tells Minjeong.

 

She doesn’t think of anything in the shower as she stares blankly at the wall, suddenly feeling her nerves jittering inside her tenfold. She’s alone with Minjeong after the confessions and what transpired in Minjeong’s room, and now Jimin’s lost all function of her mind and body.

 

Jimin’s just washing out her shampoo when she feels a slight breeze that passes through the shower curtain, but she doesn’t think too much of it.

 

She thinks much of it when there are a pair of arms around her very waist, and Jimin startles.

 

She wipes the shampoo from her eyes quickly and turns around to see Minjeong hugging her.

 

Without clothes on.

 

They’re both .

 

Pressed against each other.

 

“M-Minjeong  - what are you doing?” Jimin stutters.

“Saving water.” Minjeong shrugs, letting go of Jimin. “Will you wash my hair for me? I’m lazy.”

 

Jimin tries to not let her eyes stray downwards as she tries to keep them at Minjeong’s eyes, but it’s very difficult.

 

“Like what you see?” Minjeong smirks and Jimin sighs deeply.

“Turn around and wet your hair.” She shakes her head lightly as she reaches down to pump shampoo into her palm.

 

Minjeong closes her eyes and hums happily when Jimin massages her scalp and washes her hair meticulously. 

 

“Quit making strange noises.” Jimin says as she blushes hearing the noises Minjeong makes when she washes her hair.

“It’s not my fault you’re good with your hands.” Minjeong smirks at her joke and Jimin sighs defeatedly.

 

Nothing happens much but then Jimin speaks too soon because once she’s done with her conditioner as she clips her hair up, and she does Minjeong’s conditioner— Minjeong offers to scrub her back.

 

Minjeong scrubs her back with the loofah and Jimin notices the pace Minjeong is doing it at. It is slow and purposeful as Jimin turns to look over her shoulder and her eyes meet Minjeong’s gaze immediately.

 

In a split second, Minjeong has Jimin against the wall and her lips are devouring Jimin’s.

 

Jimin tangles her hands into Minjeong’s short wet hair and breathes in Minjeong’s affection like it’s oxygen.

 

Jimin pulls away and her lips as she looks at Minjeong’s tempting stature.

 

“We should finish washing up.” She says and Minjeong nods.

 

They get out of the shower and Minjeong helps Jimin towel dry her hair just as Jimin does the same.

 

Once they hang up the towels— still very much , Jimin takes Minjeong by surprise.

 

“Hold my shoulders.” She says and Minjeong is confused but doesn’t question her.

“Uh - why?” Minjeong blinks, wrapping her arms around Jimin’s shoulder securely.

“This is why.” Jimin smirked before reaching down and grabbing ahold of Minjeong’s thighs.

 

Minjeong squeaks as Jimin picks her up like she weighs nothing, and she wraps her legs around Jimin’s bare midriff.

 

Jimin kisses Minjeong’s neck before opening the door with one hand and the other hand is supporting Minjeong’s weight.

 

She walks them to Minjeong’s bedroom and pushes the door open with her foot before laying Minjeong down on the bed, and crawling on top.

 

Minjeong is breathless— feeling like this is a complete dream as she watches Jimin settle on top of her.

 

Jimin grins and pushes her hair to one side.

 

“Are you sure you’re still not drunk?” Minjeong whispers quietly and Jimin grins like the devil.

“I sobered up a long time ago.” Jimin says as she leans down.

 

She kisses Minjeong gently, slowly and sensually as she makes up for lost time.



 



 

When Minjeong wakes up the next morning, she’s surprised to see Jimin not up yet. Jimin’s still beside her with her arm protectively wrapped over Minjeong’s midriff. 

 

Minjeong grins and turns around to snuggle into Jimin’s neck.

 

“Mm…” Jimin begins to stir awake.

“Good morning.” Minjeong quips as she kisses the underside of Jimin’s chin chastely.

“Morning.” Jimin blinks awake and finds Minjeong’s round eyes staring right at her.

“Did you have a good night?” Minjeong asks and Jimin smiles.

“I should be the one asking that.” Jimin chuckles as she reaches a hand up from under the blanket to trace the marks she left on Minjeong’s neck and collarbone.

“It was all of my dreams come true.” Minjeong confesses candidly.

“Really?” Jimin questions and Minjeong nods. “Because I bet I’ve been dreaming of this for far longer.”

 

Minjeong lies back down on Jimin’s chest as Jimin rubs Minjeong’s back soothingly.

 

“I can’t believe you’ve been holding back on me for so long.” Minjeong chuckles.

“I’ve got good self control.” Jimin says. 

“Well it obviously doesn’t work that well either since it’s all pent up.” Minjeong snorts.

“Are you sore?” Jimin asks with concern and Minjeong shakes her head.

“A little but it’s not that bad.” Minjeong tells her.

“Want me to massage you?” Jimin asks.

“Jimin, no.” Minjeong protests. “If you lay your hands on me again, I might not want to leave my bed ever again.” 

“Okay, okay.” Jimin blushes. 

 

Minjeong’s phone buzzes on her nightstand and she reaches over to grab it. The notification lights up and it’s Ningning telling her to come out and meet up at their usual café.

 

“It’s Ningning.” Minjeong tells Jimin and she hums. “She wants to meet up.”

“Now?” Jimin asks.

“Mhm.” Minjeong answers.

“I can’t now. I gotta run back home to grab my note sheets and give it to my professor to review it.” Jimin says. “But I can meet you after. It won’t take long.” 

“Okay, do that first and just meet us at the café.” Minjeong agrees.

“Alright, let’s get up then.” Jimin says, throwing off the blanket and Minjeong immediately whines.

 

Minjeong rinses her body in the shower first and she bumps into Jimin on the way out of the bathroom as Jimin walks into it. They share a laugh before Minjeong heads out to put clothes on.

 

Minjeong comes back out and she sees the state of her bed and decides to change her sheets. As she does, her phone begins to ring and Aeri’s name pops up.

 

“Yo.” She picks up the phone.

“What’s taking your so long?!” Aeri shouts and Minjeong sighs.

“I’m changing the sheets, I’ll be there soon a bye!” She ends the call.

 

She finishes up and packs her belongings into her pockets before opening the bathroom door.

 

“I’m going now - lock the door when you leave!” Minjeong shouts.

“Okay, bye!” Jimin answers.

 

Minjeong closes the door and jogs downstairs before making her day downtown to the café they’ve been going to since they started university. 



 

Minjeong spots Aeri first, who waves her over with enthusiasm.

 

“Where’s Ning?” She asks as she sits down.

“She’s ordering drinks - and I have a question.” Aeri says.

“Okay…” Minjeong nods sceptically.

“What do you mean you were changing your sheets?” Aeri leans forward with her hands together like an evil mastermind.

“I was changing my sheets.” Minjeong shrugs. “What else?”

“Nuh-uh,” Aeri shakes her head. “What would have happened for you to change your sheets? Only two options are that you spilled a drink, or you had - and I’m thinking it’s option two.”

 

Minjeong doesn’t answer and she blinks.

 

Ningning comes around and sits down very confused, since she doesn’t know why her girlfriend and her best friend are staring each other down.

 

“What’s going on?” Ningning asks.

“Minjeong here, hooked up with someone after her party and I don’t know who.” Aeri smirks and Minjeong sighs.

“Oh my gosh - who?!” Ningning leans forward too. “Who were the guys who came to the party yesterday - wait I don’t remember!”

 

Aeri gasps loudly and Minjeong flinches when she reaches over and grabs a fist full of Minjeong’s hoodie.

 

“What!” Minjeong struggles as Aeri pulls down the neck of her hoodie.

“ - you’re covered in marks!” Aeri says and Minjeong blushes.

“Minjeong, you never let someone mark you - who was it?!” Ningning gasps and Minjeong really wants to run away because her face heating up isn’t helping her at all.

“And you’re blushing!” Aeri lets go of her and she flies back against her chair.

“No I’m not!” Minjeong feels the heat of her cheeks with the back of her palm and it’s burning up.

“Yes you are!” Aeri argues.

“I thought you were going clean - like a full nun.” Ningning says.

“I have gone clean.” Minjeong shrugs and Aeri narrows her eyes.

 

“What - don’t tell me you’re in love?” Aeri snorts and Minjeong doesn’t answer, eyes shifting away.

“Kim Minjeong.” Ningning straightens up.

“What…” Minjeong pouts.

“Who the are you in love with?” Ningning almost shrieks but she keeps her volume down.

“Oh my god - tell us right now!” Aeri grabs her over the table and Minjeong groans.

 

She straightens up and pouts.

 

“I’m not saying anything.” Minjeong shrugs nonchalantly.

“Minjeong - you have to tell us.” Aeri gasps. “This is the first time you’ve actually mentioned being in love with someone, so naturally we’re curious.” 

“You’ve gone like -free with a dude for like months!” Ningning exclaims.

“Can we not say that out loud?” Minjeong blushes.

“You’ve been in love with this person for that long?!” Aeri gasps.

“I should’ve just said no when you asked…” Minjeong sighs dejectedly.

 

Saved by the bell— literally, as the bell atop the café door jingles and the door opens. In comes Yu Jimin looking fresh and unusually fidgety as she approaches their table.

 

Minjeong turns and sees her and immediately feels relief and happiness. 

 

“Hey girl, where have you been?” Aeri asks. “We’ve been waiting for your .”
“Oh - I had to hand in something to my professor.” Jimin says as she sits down.

 

The waiter comes over and brings a tray of four drinks for the girls. Jimin grabs her tea and takes a long sip of it.

 

“Great, now that you’re here - who ed Minjeong up last night?” Aeri asks and immediately, Jimin’s tea goes down the wrong pipe and she begins to choke on it.

“You can’t ask Jimin these things - she’s literally a nun!” Ningning says grabbing a tissue and handing it to her.

 

Minjeong laughs silently— losing air in her lungs as she watches Jimin struggle. 

 

“Quit laughing…” Jimin pouts once she’s able to breathe again. 

“Seriously, unnie - who!? Do you know?” Ningning pesters her and Jimin blushes bright red.

“I-I don’t.” Jimin answers and Minjeong smirks.

“Boo!” Aeri whines. “I’m going to find out whether you like it or not, Minjeong.”

“I’d say good luck and hope to see you figure it out.” She snorts.

“Figure it out - omg, we know them?” Ningning asks and Minjeong shrugs cryptically.

“I’m not saying anything.” Minjeong smiles annoyingly.

“Jimin-unnie, you have to know - please tell us.” Ningning pouts. 

“I’m not going against Minjeong.” Jimin raises her hands in surrender.

 

Very quickly, Aeri and Ningning become hot on their trail and even rope in the rest of their friends— and also very quickly, their friends begin to run circles, not suspecting Jimin and Minjeong at all, since they’re already together 24/7.



 



 

They’re at a dinner with all their friends and Jimin and Minjeong arrive a little later and no one questions why the back of Minjeong’s hair's a mess, and why Jimin’s blouse buttons  are mismatched at the top. 

 

“Hey, sorry we’re a little late.” Jimin excuses them as they enter the Korean BBQ restaurant and find their friends at a long table to fit all of them. 

“It could be worse like that one time Yunjin came at six pm, and not nine.” Eunchae snorts.

“Hey!” Yunjin pouts and Chaewon pats her head.

“Plus, Yeji isn’t here yet - she said she’s bringing a friend.” Somi says.

“I bet Minjeong was with her secret boyfriend and made Jimin wait.” Aeri snickers as Minjeong and Jimin share a knowing look.

“Secret boyfriend? Omg, who?” Eunchae asks.

“That’s the thing - she hasn’t told anyone and I’m pretty sure Jimin’s the only one that knows,” Aeri says. “And we all know Jimin will never go against Minjeong, so we’ll never know.” 

“Easy, let’s just look at the people she follows on social media.” Somi says and she pulls out her phone.

 

Minjeong shakes her head lightly and looks to her left where Jimin is already looking and smiling at her.

 

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” Minjeong leans to her side and says quietly.

“Yeah, I kind of am.” Jimin answers quietly.

 

Minjeong huffs and reaches her hand down to Jimin’s thigh and pinches her flesh. Jimin straightens up and grabs Minjeong’s wrist.

 

“I wonder how long you’ll enjoy this because if I’m going down - I’m dragging you down with me.” Minjeong whispers hotly in Jimin’s ear and Jimin blushes. 

 

Minjeong lets go and leans back in her chair. She smiles victoriously and turns back to the front where Chaewon is seated, looking at Minjeong and Jimin from the rim of her glass.

 

Chaewon tilts her head and she wears a slight smirk as she sees Jimin and Minjeong’s newfound dynamics. 

 

Hm.


 

“Hey - sorry I’m late!” Yeji rushes in with a huge grin on her face.

“It’s alright, Jiminjeong just came too.” Eunchae reassures her.

“Jiminjeong?” Jimin raises a brow quizzically.

“Jiminjeong because you two are always together.” Ningning snorts.

 

Minjeong rolls her eyes with a smile.

 

“This is my friend, Lia - from Canada!” Yeji pulls a girl with blonde hair from behind her and the girl greets everyone with a charming eye smile.

“Nice to meet you guys! Yeji told me the best things about all of you.” Lia beams.

“Nice to meet you too - quickly sit so we can all eat!” Somi ushers them with a friendly smile.

 

Yeji takes the seat beside Jimin, and Lia takes the seat beside Minjeong. Almost immediately, Minjeong and Lia find something in common as they begin to chatter amongst themselves.

 

Jimin turns to her side and sees Yeji looking at Lia with a sort of adoring expression.

 

“You never mentioned being close with someone in Canada.” Jimin nudges Yeji lightly and speaks quietly.

Yeji turns to her and blinks— a slight blush forming at her cheeks. “Oh, well - it never really came up since I was so busy trying to get back into routine here in Korea, and we’ve both been busy with school.” 

“Is she visiting?” Jimin asks.

“She said she was to see her hometown and to…” Yeji trails off.

“And to?” Jimin questions further.

Yeji looks away with a shy expression. “...and to see me.” 

 

“Yeji.” Jimin deadpans.

“What?” Yeji pouts.

“Do you like her?” Jimin whispers.

“I-I don’t know…” Yeji frowns. “I mean, we became really close back in Canada - and she was really nice to show me around everywhere, but I think it’s a Canadian thing. She probably just thinks I’m a close friend.” 

 

Jimin blinks at her and Yeji blinks back at her. Jimin sighs deeply before taking a long sip of her beer.

 

“Hwang Yeji - you cannot be serious.” Jimin laughs silently.

“Tell me what to do?” Yeji smiles sheepishly.

“For all I know is that you like her, and she loves you enough to travel to a country hours apart just to be with you.” Jimin sighs. “If that doesn’t tell me she likes you too, then I don't know what does.”

“Really?” Yeji smiles softly. 

“Yes, really.” Jimin chuckles. 

“Should I jump the gun? I don’t think I can do that…” Yeji ponders.

“I think you should just spend all your time with her while she’s here in Korea.” Jimin advises Yeji. “After that, see how it goes and where you want to stand with her.” 

“Okay.” Yeji beams and then her eyes trail down to Jimin’s collar.

 

“Your shirt.” Yeji reaches over and s the top four and rearranges them to button in their correct slots. Jimin sees from the corner of her eye, Lia staring very hard at the two of them over the rim of her beer glass.

“Jimin - you never leave the house like this.” Yeji looks Jimin in the eye and Jimin shrugs with a blush.

 

It clicks in Yeji’s mind fairly faster than anyone else. She turns to look at Minjeong who has a few faint marks at her neck, and she turns back to Jimin to see a mark a bit lower than the collar of her shirt. 

 

“You didn’t…” Yeji’s eyes widen in delight.

“What?” Jimin blinks.

“You did it!” Yeji slaps Jimin’s shoulder. “You did it with Min-”

 

Jimin clasps a hand over Yeji’s mouth and shakes her head haphazardly.

 

“Shut it.” Jimin grimaces and Yeji nods slowly.

“You haven’t told anyone?” Jimin drops her hand.

“No.” Jimin answers. “We only just figured out our feelings a couple days ago - we’re taking it slow.”

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me!” Yeji hits her again and Jimin winces.

“Quit hitting me!” Jimin slaps Yeji’s shoulder.

 

Dinner progresses quickly and Minjeong already feels tipsy. Chaewon’s the only one still functioning, so she takes Minjeong out for fresh air.


 

Chaewon lights up a cigarette and inhales slowly, feeling the cold night air against the tip of her nose.

 

“I thought you quit?” Minjeong asks and Chaewon shrugs, turning to her side to let out the smoke.

“Old habits die hard.” Chaewon smiles softly.

“It’s going to kill you.” Minjeong rolls her eyes.

“Dear cousin, I am going to stop - but I’m still in uni and I need a break sometimes.” Chaewon chuckles and Minjeong smiles.

“It doesn’t bother Yunjin?” Minjeong mentions her girlfriend.

“It does. I’m trying to quit though.” Chaewon huffs out a cloud of smoke. “If it’s for the long run, it’s better I quit.” 

 

Minjeong reaches over and takes the cigarette from Chaewon’s hand and inhales and releases smoke shortly.

 

“I see you can still smoke.” Chaewon chuckles.

“You and Johnny were the ones who taught me.” Minjeong snorts, handing the cigarette back. “Such bad influences my older cousins were.”

“You were so little and cute - eager for the world.” Chaewon says. “I guess that’s what makes you such a great writer, no?”

“I guess it does.” Minjeong shrugs smugly. 

 

“Jimin’s not going to tell you off for sneaking a smoke?” Chaewon asks and Minjeong looks up.

“She probably is, but I’ll blame it on you.” Minjeong sticks her tongue out at Chaewon.

“Still childish.” Chaewon snorts. “I wonder how Jimin’s managed to stay around you for this long.”

“Because I’m loveable and she loves me.” Minjeong beams.

“Gonna make it official yet?” Chaewon asks, throwing the cigarette onto the ground and crushing it with her foot.

 

She picks it up and disposes it in the nearest bin with the disposal chute. 

 

“Could you tell?” Minjeong asks bashfully.

“I’m surprised no one else has noticed.” Chaewon shrugs. “You guys aren’t that subtle, but it's also hard to tell since you’ve always been like this. When did it happen?”

“At my party.” Minjeong answers.

“Sneaky.” Chaewon smirks. “I knew you were taking too long in your room just to clean up the cake.”

“Guilty.” Minjeong grins.

 

Chaewon looks at Minjeong softly and fondly.

 

“It’s nice.” She says.

“What is?” Minjeong asks.

“Seeing you like this. In love.” Chaewon says.

“I could say the same.” Minjeong grins.”Make sure I'm the best man at the wedding.”

“I bet your speech would kill us all.” Chaewon grins.

“It might.” Minjeong giggles. 

“Let’s get back inside, it’s cold.” Chaewon wraps an arm around Minjeong’s shoulder.

 

They get back and see everyone getting up and heading to pay, or the bathrooms.

 

Jimin exits the bathroom and spots Minjeong beside Chaewon. Jimin beams and Minjeong automatically gravitates towards Jimin.

 

“Want to go home?” Jimin asks, wrapping her arm around Minjeong’s waist.

“What are the others doing?” Minjeong asks, leaning into Jimin.

“They want to go karaoke.” Jimin says. “We don’t have to if you’re not up for it.”

“We can go. I feel good.” Minjeong smiles and Jimin does so too upon seeing Minjeong’s sweet smile.

“Okay. We’ll go.” Jimin nods.

 

It’s utter chaos when they get to the karaoke lounge. Someone orders more drinks, someone spills something and the people holding the tambourines are going crazy. 

 

Someone chose a boy group song and now Yunjin’s doing crazy adlibs, Changbin’s screaming into the mic, Yuqi’s breakdancing— and just a whole lot is going on.

 

Jimin’s energy has resigned so now she’s leaning her head on Minjeong’s shoulder as the two of them sit on the lounge sofa.

 

Jimin slips her hand into Minjeong’s and they hold each other loosely.

 

It feels like everything's just right in their world.



 


 

It’s the new years part and of course, it is hosted by Johnny Suh and is already in full action by the time they reach his apartment. The music is going loud, some of his neighbours have joined, and everyone is already tipsy by the time Jimin and Minjeong arrive.

 

“Wassup cuz!” Johnny cheers when Minjeong and Jimin arrive.

“And you’re already gone.” Minjeong snorts, hugging him.

“Good to see you little Minjeong, good to see you Yu Jimin.” Johnny pats Jimin’s head unceremoniously and Jimin just accepts it. 

“Welcome, welcome.” He ushers them in.

 

They find their friends quickly and join them as they find that they’re in an intense game of jenga.

 

“Wanna join?” Chaewon asks.

“We’ll just watch.” Minjeong chuckles, seeing as the tower is already preparing to collapse.

 

It does collapse when Eunchae removes a piece and the entire building collapses. Eunchae wails and Yunjin threatens to kill her as Sakura babies Eunchae.

 

“Thirsty?” Jimin nudges her.

“Yeah.” Minjeong nods. Jimin gets up, but Minjeong follows along, intertwining their hands.

“I was going to bring it back to you.” Jimin chuckles.

“I don’t want to be apart from you.” Minjeong pouts. “I’m feeling needy today. I might get my period sooner or later.” 

“Okay. I won’t let go.” Jimin tightens their hands and Minjeong beams.



 

Later in the night, Johnny puts a countdown for the new year on his TV so that everyone can see, and so everyone begins to gather in the living room. 

 

Jimin pulls Minjeong into a small corner away from everyone, but still close enough to see the TV screen countdown.

 

“A few minutes left.” Minjeong shudders. “I feel like this year’s gone too fast.”

“Worried you haven’t had enough time with me?” Jimin chuckles, wrapping both her arms around Minjeong’s waist into a back hug.

“Kind of… I mean it’s still - but we only got together a few days ago. I feel like we’ve lost so much time.” Minjeong pouts, leaning back into Jimin.

“Well, we can have more years if you want to keep me.” Jimin shrugs.

“Of course I’ll keep you.” Minjeong scoffs with a grin. “I’d be crazy enough to let you go.” 

“Good. I plan on staying.” Jimin leans down and presses her head against Minjeong’s temple.

 

Jimin swallows thickly as she holds Minjeong tighter against her— inhaling Minjeong’s sweet smelling shampoo

 

“Minjeong, I love you.” Jimin says and Minjeong freezes.

 

She turns around and looks up to see Jimin looking down at her.

 

“What did you just say?” Minjeong feels everything around them in this crowded room grow silent, and all she can hear, see, and feel is Jimin.

 

Jimin smiles sheepishly.

 

“I said I love you.” Jimin repeats, feeling like she's floating.

“You’re kidding.” Minjeong pouts— feeling an overwhelming urge to cry.

“I’ve never loved anyone like you, and I’ve never stayed around anyone more than I have with you. I think about you all the time even when I’m not meant to like during an exam - but you’re my lucky charm, so technically I’m meant to think about you.” Jimin confesses candidly. “I love you and I want to be with you forever.” 

“Are you proposing?” Minjeong lets out a wet laugh, feeling her eyes build up with tears.

“Maybe in the long run I will.” Jimin chuckles, wiping Minjeong’s tears.

 

Ten 

 

“I have not ever felt like this with someone before - or even with any other boy. Just you, Yu Jimin.” Minjeong turns around and wraps her arms over Jimin’s shoulders and Jimin holds her close by the waist. “I love you.”

 

Nine

 

“Say it again.” Jimin whispers and Minjeong shudders.

 

Eight

 

“I love you.” Minjeong says softly, smiling and feeling a weight being lifted off her chest.

 

Seven 

 

“Again…” Jimin leans closer. 

 

Six

 

“I love you.” Minjeong smiles. “I love you, I love you, I love you.”

 

Five

 

Minjeong sighs with contentment as she buries herself in Jimin’s neck and hugs her tightly. Jimin holds her just as tightly, arms wound soundly around her waist.

 

Four

 

They pull away.

 

Three

 

Minjeong searches the depths of Jimin’s eyes and Jimin grins.

 

Two

 

Jimin cups Minjeong’s cheek.

 

One

 

“Happy new years!” Everyone cheers and Johnny pops a confetti cannon.

 

Jimin pulls Minjeong in with one hand on her jaw and the other at her waist. Jimin kisses Minjeong sweetly, needy, and warmly as Minjeong melts.

 

Jimin pulls away with a smile gracing her glistening lips.

 

“Happy birthday, Minjeong.” Jimin whispers, and over the noise of everyone in the room— Minjeong only hears Jimin.



 



 

“Am I crazy or did I just see Jiminjeong kiss.” Aeri asks Ningning who has her jaw agape in shock.

“You aren’t crazy, I assure you.” Chaewon snorts, leaning into Yunjin.

Ningning gasps, “Holy ! Yeji’s kissing Lia too!”

 

In the other corner of the room, Yeji’s kissing Lia— minutes past the new years countdown.