baby chick.

serotonin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Do you know that when you're aware of the value of one thing, you develop an irrational fear of losing it? 

 

you’re not an inanimate object, but I know how much you’re worth. :) 

 

Jimin just couldn't do anything about the ghost of a smile already threatening to grow on her lips and the fluttering feeling budding from her chest. She couldn’t help it, really—  not when this mysterious admirer of hers has proven to be successful in making her day better once again. 

 

And at this point, it was a routine for her. The person never misses a day, and they have been going at it since the start of the school year—  always a tiny post-it note scented vanilla, with a doodle of a baby chick to prove their identity slipped into her locker during mornings, and Jimin is pretty convinced that each note would have been written in some kind of magical ink, because they never failed to make her feel funny things in the pit of her stomach. 

 

She’s not complaining though—  especially not when it’s come to be one of the most significant highlights of her day. Not when these notes were the sole reason there was always some skip to her step during mornings that were often boring and tiresome. 

 

And okay, maybe there were some moments (when nobody was around) where she would burst into some full on sprint to her locker. But of course she has to check if there’s anyone in the vicinity to witness her completely embarrassing herself—  and it’s student council business! Kind of. 


 

Not really. 


 

..None of your business. 


 

“Baby chick, again?” A familiar voice echoes from behind her, and she spares a glance at her best friend— Aeri Uchinaga. 

 

“Yes, they never miss a day.” Jimin affirms with a nod, noticing the slight incline in her voice that was kind of a little too fond for her liking. It just goes to show how much this anonymous person has come to affect her, and she probably wouldn’t be this hesitant if she actually had some idea as to who they were. 

 

“Should’ve known. You have that special smile on your face that only appears when it’s about her.” Aeri laughs, and the lopsided grin on her face is kind of teasing. “It’s disgusting, really.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” The older girl raises a brow, but the way she had said those words in some kind of whisper-tone would have been a dead giveaway to how she truly felt— which, for those who aren’t perceptive enough, was probably the complete opposite. “Besides, it could also be a he.”

 

“A he? Look at that handwriting, it’s obviously a girl’s.” Aeri snorted, gesturing at the penmanship on the note; tiny characters written neat and clean— which was kind of adorable, she’d have to admit. The person writing these would have had to have poured in much effort from the way the text was completely centered on the piece of paper, and how each letter was consistently and equally spaced. 

 

“I’m not about to guess someone’s gender by the way they write, Aeri.” Jimin rolls her eyes, folding the piece of paper and tucking it into her pocket for safekeeping— which would automatically go into her collection of.. greetings stashed away in a cardboard box at home. 

 

She really treasures the thought and effort being put into these types of things, okay? And Jimin might not openly admit it to anyone, but there are times when she’d get this urge to just open the box up to read those letters one by one— and okay, yes. She’s corny, and cheesy, call her whatever you want to call her. 

 

“Want to bet on it, then?”

 

“Never.”

 

And fine, maybe she was kind of hoping that her mystery admirer would turn out to be a girl. 


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

There’s this line from my favorite series that I can’t seem to forget: Shouldn't we hold out for the person who doesn't just tolerate our little quirks, but actually kinda likes them?

 

You know, when you’re embarrassed you always attempt to hide your face behind your hands— and that’s honestly the cutest thing in the world. There’s also the way you smile even when things get tough, and I wonder: does anybody ever stop by to ask if you’re okay?

 

Jimin brings this note to class, and she ends up reading it over and over until the end of the first period— so much so that her mind has even managed to conjure up an artificial voice, and she thinks of it as light and lilting, with undertones of fondness and endearment. 

 

And this isn’t the first time she’s gotten a secret admirer, but for some reason, this one has her completely enamored and stuck— eagerly, yet patiently waiting. The desire to know whoever was behind these letters was always there, but of course she’d have to be considerate if the person wished to preserve their anonymity. 

 

If there’s one thing she can’t help though, it’s the fact that her imagination runs rampant— and she just ends up unconsciously considering every single possibility. There are plenty of question marks in her head, and sometimes, she would just wind up piloting her own train of thought, left blankly staring at god knows where for long durations of time. 

 

This time, she’s left staring at one of her classmates a few seats in front, and—

 

“Ms. Yoo, it would be n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter