one

the girl on the train

son chaeyoung was completely and utterly in love with a complete stranger and that was a fact. she saw the beautiful girl everyday on her way to work on the train. chaeyoung always sat across from the girl, too scared to sit any closer to her. so then she admired her from a distance.  

chaeyoung noticed how she was always scribbling on papers, carefully biting on her pen as she tried to come up with the right words. sometimes she would read a novel or doze off. chaeyoung was glad the beautiful girl was always indulged into her work of a book. 

after seeing the stranger on her way to work everyday, chaeyoung decided that she would use her sketchbook to draw her. she wanted to capture the beauty of the beautiful brunette girl. but most of all chaeyoung didn’t want to forget her face incase one day she stopped showing up.

chaeyoung couldn’t fall for the girls back at home. no, she had to fall for a stranger on the train. chaeyoung felt insulted. she felt as if god intended this, intended for her to fall hopelessly in love with a stranger on the train. 

-

the cold and crisp autumn breeze hit chaeyoung’s exposted skin, sending shivers through the course of her body. 

today chaeyoung was a few minutes late to the train station. she normally was never late. she would always arrive a bit earlier than normal to make sure she could secure her seat across from the stranger. 

chaeyoung was now starting her desk job at yoo corporations after successfully completing  her internship. she has been a nervous wreck all morning because of it.

chaeyoung hugged her bag close, walking through the doors of the train. she squeezed her way through several people, trying to push her way through to the spot she normally sat at. except she noticed that today her spot was taken by a young couple and their child. chaeyoung sighed and resorted to standing by the side of the seat from where she usually sat. at least from here i’ll be able to see her, chaeyoung thought.

chaeyoung glanced over to the seat where the stranger usually sat at. sure enough the brunette she was undoubtably in love with was sitting there engrossed in a novel. chaeyoung noticed that the stranger had a pair of glasses perched up on her nose. the brunette took her index finger and pushed the glasses farther up to prevent them from slipping. 

everything about the stranger was seemingly perfect to chaeyoung. the girl didn’t have a single visible flaw on her body. 

chaeyoung noticed how the brunette always wore clothing that hugged her figure perfectly which exposed her beautiful curves. she grew quite fond of the stranger’s model-like body.

 

chaeyoung sighed, reaching down into her bag to pull out her small travel-sized sketchbook and mechanical pencil. she flipped beautiful through the pages, admiring her artwork of the stranger. at least more than half of her art in here was dedicated just to her alone. she continued flipping through the pages and found the nearest blank page. chaeyoung was ready to capture the beauty of the stranger once again. 

chaeyoung glimpsed over at the girl and noticed she didn’t move an inch from the last time she had looked at her. it was almost as if she was keeping still just for her. 

chaeyoung began making a rough sketch of the girl’s face. her eyes darted between her sketchbook and the stranger. she looked up just in time to watch the brunette run her fingers through her hair ily. chaeyoung gulped and bit her lip nervously, watching the girl fix her hair. she shook her head, continuing back to her drawing.

chaeyoung pressed her pencil against the smooth surface of the sketch book, now carefully sketching the girl’s angelic facial features. she always took her time when she got to her face, wanting to capture every detail she possibly could. 

chaeyoung sketched the stranger’s big eyes, nose, and lips. the stranger was absolutely stunning in the eyes chaeyoung. she thought that the brunette’s facial features were sculpted by the gods themselves. 

roughly twenty minutes pass and the drawing was finally complete. chaeyoung was always fast with her sketches, especially on the train since the ride was roughly twenty-five to thirty minutes long.

chaeyoung then smiled, pleased with how the drawing came out. she reached for her bag, ready to it when a young boy next to her lost his balance, bumping into chaeyoung. she stumbled, dropping her sketch book across the floor of the train.

“i-i’m so sorry, miss,” the young boy said to chaeyoung. “it was an accident.”

“i can assure you it’s okay,” chaeyoung said with a shy smile. “accidents happen.” 

that is when chaeyoung remembered her sketchbook was no longer in her hands. she panicked, looking all over to see where it possibly could have landed. that is when she realized her sketchbook landed right in front of the stranger. chaeyoung gulped hard, her mind spiraling.

the stranger bent down, picking up chaeyoung’s sketch book. this could not be happening, she thought. she stumbled her way over to the girl, watching her as she carefully skimmed through the pages. the stranger’s eyes widened, gaped open slightly. 

chaeyoung tried to speak, but no words flowed out of . she just stood there, watching the brunette as she flipped through the rest of her sketchbook. 

the stranger’s eyes met chaeyoung’s. “i’m assuming by the way you are staring at me like that that this belongs to you,” the stranger said with a slight chuckle as she handed chaeyoung her sketchbook.

chaeyoung’s voice hitched. “i- wow i’m so sorry.” chaeyoung said closing her eyes as she rubbed her temples. “god, this is so embarrassing-“ 

the sweet and led voice of the stranger interrupted her. “it’s okay.” 

chaeyoung watched as the girl’s lips formed a tight smile. “you are very talented, you know. at first i was in shock to have seen myself drawn in the pages, i almost thought i was imagining it. but now that i think about it, it’s kind of cute.” 

chaeyoung felt her cheeks turn red, trying to digest what the girl had just said to her. 

“this isn’t... weird to you?” chaeyoung nervously laughed as she rubbed the back of her neck.

the brunette stared at her and smiled once again. “if it was anyone else that drew me in a sketchbook, i would think it’s weird.” she said as she stared down, playing with her fingers. “but since it was you, i’m not.” 

chaeyoung could not process what has taken place in the last five minutes. she thought that maybe she was living in a dream. chaeyoung pinched her skin, making sure this wasn’t all in her head. 

suddenly the train shuddered to a stop. they have finally reached their destination. 

“well,” the beautiful stranger said as she cleared . “i guess this is our stop, huh.” 

chaeyoung looked down at her feet, hugging her bag tightly by her side. “yeah, i guess it is.” 

the girl chuckled as she stared at chaeyoung. “i realized we never properly introduced ourselves to one another.” the girl extended her hand towards chaeyoung. “park jihyo.” 

“son chaeyoung,” chaeyoung said as she took jihyo’s hand, shaking it. a smile danced across her lips. 

 

they walked out of the train together, side by side, walking through the crowds of people. jihyo suddenly came to a stop, turning around to face chaeyoung.

“i hate to be a burden,” jihyo said as she bit her bottom lip. “but do you think i could have that drawing you made today?”

“yeah, yeah, of course you can.” chaeyoung said with a bright smile. she quickly ped her bag, shuffling through it to find her sketchbook. her finger tips touched the hard leather like surface, pulling it out with ease. chaeyoung flipped the pages like a flip book, finding her most recent drawing of the girl. she tore the page out carefully, making sure to keep it intact.

“here you go.” chaeyoung said, handing jihyo the drawing with a shaky hand. 

“ah, thank you so much,” jihyo said happily as a wide smile etched upon her lips. she laughed nervously. “this probably sounds a bit corny but i want to remember this day... i want to remember the day i met you.” 

chaeyoung smiled shyly, feeling her cheeks turn red once again. 

“i’ll see you tomorrow, son chaeyoung.” jihyo said. 

“i’ll see you tomorrow, park jihyo.” 

 

if someone told chaeyoung that dropping her sketchbook in front of the stranger she was hopelessly in love with would turn into this, she wouldn’t believe it, not even for a second. 

chaeyoung never knew she would be so grateful for the boy that stumbled into her on the train or this all would have never happened.  

___________________________________________ 

ahh wow i hope this wasn’t too messy to read!! i also apologize for writing all in lowercase, i typed this out on my phone instead of a computer :cc

also i’m possibly considering making this a short fanfic instead of a one shot. any feedback or input on that would be very helpful <3 

anyways i hope y’all enjoyed it c: