Nine

My Everything
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter IX

 

Chanyeol takes a deep breath, pausing in front of the door, as he tries to gather himself and put on his happy face. After another series of inhales and exhales, he grabs onto the doorknob, making sure to be as loud as possible as to warn the others inside that he had arrived, and pushes the door open. Not a second later, a flashy exclamation of “SURPRISE!!!” greets him, and he is knocked back by his sons, who run at him at full speed to enwrap his legs in a tight hug. Chanyeol does his best to put on his surprised face as he kneels down to hug his boys.

 

“Were you surprised, Daddy?” Jongin asks excitedly.

 

“Surprised?” Sehun echoes, hopefulness in his innocent eyes.

 

Chanyeol makes a show of grabbing his chest and breathing heavily before responding to the children in front of him. “I was so surprised, I almost had a heart attack!” 

 

Jongin and Sehun exchange triumphant glances before turning towards the kneeling giant. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!”

 

Chanyeol laughs and wraps an arm around each child, pulling them into a hug. “Thank you boys.”

 

“Happy birthday, Chanyeol,” Key says, smiling at the father and his sons.

 

“Yeah, Happy birthday, man!” Jonghyun – whose voice was slightly higher than normal – echoes. 

 

Chanyeol pastes a smile on his face, showing gratitude towards his friends. He nods at Minho, who stands by the entrance to the living room with a -eating grin on his face. 

 

“Happy birthday,” a softer, familiar voice says from somewhere behind Jonghyun. Chanyeol strains his neck, breath caught in his throat, as he searches for the owner of the voice. ‘It can’t be…’

 

“I…Baek…” Chanyeol stumbles with his words, unsure of what it is he actually wants to say. “Thank you.” Baekhyun smiles in response, blinding him, and effectively taking his breath away at the same time. ‘Beautiful…’ Chanyeol smiles. ‘So beautiful.’

 

“-YEOL!” Key’s voice brings him out of his stupor.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said, how about you stop staring at Baekhyun and come in.” Key smirks. “Or would you like for me to take a picture for you? It would definitely last longer.”

 

Chanyeol glares at his friend as he toes off his shoes, shooting an amused Baekhyun an apologetic look. Jongin stands next to his father, covering his soft giggles with one hand over his mouth, while Sehun stands in the middle on the room staring in confusion between Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and his giggling brother. “Old people are weird…” the toddler mumbles with his thumb sandwiched between his lips, causing all of the adult in the room to roar in laughter. Chanyeol ruffles Sehun’s hair as he herds the boy towards the living room. Out of the corner of his eye, he catches Jongin grabbing hold of Baekhyun’s hand, pulling the baker towards where the party is set up. He leads Baekhyun to the couch and gently pushes him to sit before turning to his dad.

 

“Daddy, you sit here!” the seven-year-old demands, pointing to the spot besides Baekhyun before hopping onto the adult’s lap. Chanyeol looked around the room and notices everyone else has already taken their seats, leaving only the seat next to Baekhyun open. Smiling internally, he cautiously walks over, climbing over the baker’s legs, and settles himself comfortably. 

 

“Do you want to come sit on Daddy’s lap, Sehun?”

 

The toddler shakes his head vehemently and glances over at Baekhyun warily. “Hunnie has present for Daddy,” he mumbles, thumb still in his mouth. Chanyeol raises a brow, glancing over at Baekhyun, who looks at Sehun with a reassuring smile. 

 

“You’ve got it, Sehun,” Baekhyun smiles, holding his right hand up in the form of a fist. “Just like we practiced.”

 

“Yeah! You can do it Sehunnie!” Jongin also cheers, pumping his small fists into the air.

 

Chanyeol turns towards his youngest son, sending an encouraging smile his way. The four-year-old pulls his thumb out of his mouth and takes a deep breath. With determination in his eyes, Sehun reaches over towards the coffee table and grabs the small microphone connected to a recorder. He then presses the red “RECORD” button, and then clears his throat and brings the microphone up to his mouth as he begins to sing. 

“You’re my Honeybunch,

Sugarplum,

Pumpy-umpy-umpkin,

Y-you’re my Sweetie Pie.

You’re my Cuppycake,

Gumdrop,

Snoogums-Boogums,

You’re the Apple of my Eye.”

 

Sehun pauses, hesitantly looking over at Baekhyun. “I don’t ‘member the rest…” the toddler whispers, tears starting to form in his eyes. Baekhyun pats Jongin lightly and moves him from his lap, making his way over to the embarrassed boy standing in the middle of the living room.

 

“It’s okay, Sehun,” Baekhyun says, kneeling down next to the boy. “I’ll sing it with you, okay?”

 

Sehun nods, eyes lighting up, as he wraps his arms around Baekhyun as much as he could manage. Baekhyun returns the hug and rubs the boy’s back soothingly before taking hold of the microphone and bringing it towards the boy again.

 

“Ready?”

 

Sehun nods and takes the microphone in one hand while his other hand grasps onto Baekhyun’s hand.

 

“And I love you so,” Baekhyun begins, nodding at Sehun.

 

“And I want you to know

That I’ll always be right here.

And I love to sing sweet songs to you

Because you are so dear!”

 

Everyone bursts into loud applause as Baekhyun and Sehun wraps up their song. Baekhyun leans over to stop the recording before flashing a thumbs up to the toddler. 

 

“I knew you could do it. You were great, Sehunnie!” Beaming, Sehun throws himself onto Baekhyun, nearly knocking the brunet over with the force of his attack hug. Baekhyun laughs as he returns Sehun’s enthusiastic hug, squeezing the toddler tightly in his arms. He feels a warm pair of hands rest on his shoulders moments before he’s enfolded in a hug from behind.

 

“Thank you,” Chanyeol whispers from somewhere behind him, his hot breath tickling his ear. “And thank you, Sehunnie!” Chanyeol smiles, tapping Sehun’s nose with his finger. “That was the best birthday present I could ever ask for.” Baekhyun feels his face warm as he looks around the room at everyone’s smiling, knowing faces. Flushed, he moves to remove himself from the somewhat-awkward group hug, but feels something poking at his arm instead. Glancing down, Baekhyun finds Jongin squirming his way into the center of the group, using his head to lift Baekhyun’s arm out of the way so he could nestle himself snuggly in between Baekhyun and Sehun. 

 

“I wanna be in the group hug too!” the seven-year-old exclaims, beaming up at Baekhyun and his father. Baekhyun finds himself laughing along with Chanyeol and the rest of the guests at the party as he relaxes back into the hug and wraps his arms around each child. He tilts his head to the side when he feels Chanyeol move forward to rest his chin on his shoulder.

 

“Of course, we can’t forget our Jonginnie,” Chanyeol says, ruffling the boy’s hair.

 

In that moment, Baekhyun truly feels happy; like he is a part of the family. The fact that Chanyeol was not his – that Jongin and Sehun were not his kids – did not matter. The only thing that mattered in that second, in that moment, was that he felt like he belonged.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Thanks for everything, guys,” Chanyeol says, holding the door open for Jonghyun, who was cradling a sleeping Taemin in his arms. “I had a really good time today.”

 

“Of course you did,” Key replies with a smirk, pulling the taller male down into a hug. “But I doubt it was because of us.”

 

Chanyeol blushes as he pulls away. “I don’t know what you’re talking about…” he mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

 

“Sure you don’t,” Key laughs as he eyes Baekhyun, who was still in the living room tidying up with Jongin and Sehun. “He’s good for you, Chanyeol. He’s good for all of you,” Key says as he steps out of the house. “Just don’t mess things up again, okay?”

 

Chanyeol stands staring at the closed door as it swings shut before his eyes drift to the portrait of Kyungsoo on the wall.

 

Don’t mess things up again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sehun!” Chanyeol chases the toddler around the living room with a pair of pajama bottoms in his hands. “Come back here!”

 

Sehun giggles as he ducks behind the couch. “Too slow, Daddy.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles as he takes the plate from Jongin. “This happens a lot, doesn’t it?” he asks the child, who nods and grins widely. Shaking his head, Baekhyun places the last of the leftovers into the fridge. “Let’s go see if we can help your poor Daddy out, Jongin,” he says, wiping his hands on his pants. Jongin nods and takes Baekhyun’s hand as he follows the adult into the living room. 

 

Chanyeol stands on one side of the room, hunched over and breathing heavily, while Sehun pokes his head up from behind the couch on the other side.

 

“He…I….I give up,” Chanyeol huffs, plopping down onto the ground. Baekhyun smiles as he walks over and takes the pajama bottoms from Chanyeol, while Jongin pats his father on the shoulder sympathetically.

 

Sighing dramatically, Baekhyun holds the pants up in front of his face. “What ever am I going to do, Chanyeol? I was going to offer little Sehunnie some dessert, but everyone knows that you can’t eat dessert without pants on…” Baekhyun smirks as he hears Jongin giggle, and sees Chanyeol’s jaw drop. Sehun gasps, throwing his hands over his mouth, as he runs out from behind the couch. 

 

“Uncle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter