TWENTY-SECOND

Rules & Regulations

"Where's Baekhyun?"

Junmyeon looks up from his laptop. "Oh, hey... He said he was going to look for you."

"Yeah, I know," you make a face as you sit on the chair next to him. "I waited for him for almost half an hour but he didn't show up... So I just thought maybe he forgot."

Junmyeon frowns, neglecting his laptop for a moment as he turns to you. "That's weird... He was early when he left, he didn't want you to wait." You sigh and he pats your shoulder. "Maybe he was stopped by a student or a colleague. You know how Baekhyun is. He can ramble on forever."

"I know," you nod. "But he wouldn't have made me wait just so he could talk to someone else."

"That's true," he agrees, his words coming out in a mumble.

At that moment, Junmyeon's phone rings. He checks the caller ID and looks at you. You nod in permission for him to answer the call, but he only turns the phone out to you to show you who is calling. It's Baekhyun. As if hearing your thoughts, Junmyeon gives you the phone and you give him a grateful smile as you take the ringing device. You answer the call with held breath.

"Hyung, can you—"

"Baekhyun," you murmur softly but loud enough for him to hear.

"Oh baby," he lets out a big sigh of relief. "I tried to call you but—"

"My battery's dead," you inform him. "Where are you?"

"I'm sorry, kitten, someone— something came up and I just..." He sighs loudly before muttering, "Look, love, I don't think I can bring you home today. Could you please get Junmyeon hyung to bring you?"

"It's fine, I can take the bus."

"No, I don't want you going home alone. Please, baby, ask him."

"Fine," you grumble.

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"'Kay," you grunt, a little unhappily. "Bye."

You don't wait for him to answer before you hang up the phone. Junmyeon is staring at you, waiting for an explanation or something like that.

"Can you drive me home, please?" you mumble, eyes down in embarrassment.

"Oh, of course!" he agrees right away, though he looks confused and worried. He packs up quickly. He sounds a little tentative when he questions, "What did Baekhyun say?"

"Something came up and he can't fetch me home today."

Junmyeon gives you a sympathetic gaze and you look away. The both of you leave the teachers' room and walk in an awkward silence to his car. You're a bit upset that Junmyeon is right; that Baekhyun probably met someone on the way to you and started chatting them up until he forgot about you. Sure, he said something came up, but he did slip the word someone before that. It has to mean something, right?

Junmyeon doesn't know what to say to you or how to console you. So it is quiet the entire walk to the car and the ride back to your place. You thank him politely when he arrives outside your home and he smiles, a bit wryly.

Your mood has dampened greatly. You were having a bad day in uni; hectic schedule, more homework, surprise tests... You hadn't even had lunch because of how busy you were. You were looking forward to going home with Baekhyun, just spilling your woes to him, basically just being with him. But it seems like he doesn't have time for you, so you're left all alone with your troubles and stress with no outlet to complain to.

You have a quick and silent dinner with your parents, the both of them not talking to you because they know they should just shut up, what with your bad mood. You return to your room afterwards, hoping to receive at least a text from Baekhyun. But instead, you see the picture of your hand in Baekhyun's, your intertwined hands on his lap. You had wanted to change your lock screen to the pretty couple picture Junmyeon took for you at the fair, but Baekhyun reminded you that it wasn't a good idea. After all, your relationship is forbidden and you're trying not to get caught. Putting the picture of you guys together with your arms around each other will only raise some red flags if anyone in uni sees it. So you went with the subtlest photo, which is of your intertwined hands.

Seeing how you have no text or even a missed call from your boyfriend, you sigh and decide to go out for a run — something that you haven't done in a long time. The last time you actually had time to run was when you were still in high school. You mostly went running with Sehun, even when uni started and you found time to go for a jog. But Sehun has been avoiding you for, what, five months now? Without his prompt or him calling you fat, you don't find yourself running very often, even when you do have time.

Today, however, you decide to take a breather and clear your mind, doing something thoughtless like running. It's a good way of winding down, of not thinking. But since it is already dark, you decide to just run the perimeter of your neighbourhood and call it a day. You're already almost halfway through the route when someone falls in step with you, his breathing steady and his footsteps quiet. You glance to the side to see — out of all people — Sehun running with you, his eyes focused straight ahead.

You initially thought maybe he was just going the same route as you are and is just passing you by, but he doesn't run past you when you know he could have. Instead, he keeps up with you, matching his pace with yours. You try to ignore his presence for a while, but you can't seem to concentrate on running. All you're thinking about is Sehun and why the is he next to you? Isn't he supposed to be avoiding you?

You stop abruptly and he jogs for a few more steps before stopping as well. He turns to look at you. "What are you doing?" you finally ask him.

"Running," he shrugs.

"So go," you shoo him.

"But we always run together," he frowns, which makes you frown too.

"But you're avoiding me," you point out. "I don't think running with me is a form of avoiding me."

Sehun's facial expression softens, no longer teasing. He steps closer, "I know, I'm sorry. I just... I've always wanted to make up with you since a few weeks ago but I didn't know how. So I told myself that I would, when or if you ever go running."

"You avoided me for a good five months, Sehun," you mutter bitterly, making sure he hears your disappointment and hurt.

He nods, "I know and I'm sorry. I promise it won't happen again."

"So many things happened in my life while you were gone, Sehun..." you sigh and look away. "We can't go back to normal — even if we wanted to."

"Then we'll try," he pleads. "What I did was childish but it... helped. You know, with the, um—"

"Crush?"

"Yes," he mutters in annoyance that you could so easily say it out loud. You laugh and he quirks a small smile. "I have a lot to update you on."

You stare at him; at his sincerity, his longing for his best friend to be returned to him, his apprehension. How could you turn him down when all you've wanted was this, since the moment he left you?

"Me too," you finally say, smiling.

 

 

"So why are you out running?" Sehun wonders as you walk the rest of the way back home. "You hate running." You sigh and he teases, "Trying to lose weight for your boyfriend?"

You hit his arm. "No," you snap, clucking your tongue.

It's funny, really. It's been five months with him avoiding you and yet now that you've reunited again, things are falling back into place just like before. There is no air of awkwardness or even tension. Everything feels normal but it also feels so different. It's confusing.

"It's just that..." You clear your throat, not sure whether to tell him about it. You decide to just be vague, because after all, you've only just reunited. You don't want to burden him with too much of your problems. "It's just Baekhyun," you try to say as dismissively as you can.

He frowns. "What about him? Did he bully you? What did he do?"

"It's nothing big," you shake your head. "I'm being petty, that's all."

"So tell me," he urges. "If it's nothing big then tell me."

You make a face at his persistence. He is still as stubborn as before. "He was supposed to fetch me home today after school but he didn't show up outside my class because someone—" You shake your head, "Something came up."

"Did he explain what it was that's so important?"

"Hasn't texted me since." You shrug and try to appear unaffected. "Enough about me. What about you?"

"No, wait," he frowns. "Don't change the subject just yet. If someone's making my best friend run, and that someone isn't me, I want to know everything."

You chuckle, bumping his arm with your shoulder. "You still see me as your best friend, huh?"

A few beats of silence pass. Sehun clears his throat awkwardly and murmurs, "What, you don't anymore?"

If you hadn't known him for so long, you wouldn't have heard the pain in his voice. The five months he left you alone can't compare to the six years he has been with you. He couldn't have changed that much in those five months for you to not see through him like you used to.

"Of course I do," you tell him. "I just thought maybe Kai took my place you know?"

"It's funny, actually," he laughs awkwardly. "I think—" he sighs, "Can I sleep over at your place?" You look at him weirdly. "I know it's sudden but we just have a lot to catch up on. I want to tell you everything."

"Fine, fine," you say, even though you're terribly ecstatic on the inside. Forget Baekhyun, at least something is going right for you today. 

You walk in silence for a moment before Sehun speaks up again. "Also... I think whatever came up that prevented Baekhyun from meeting you must be important..." 

You glance at him, "How'd you know?"

He shrugs, clearing his throat awkwardly. "Sometimes I watch the both of you in uni." He gives you a soft smile. "He really likes you. I'm happy to see him taking such good care of you." 

You sigh, bobbing your head. You know that. You know that Baekhyun adores you very much and he's always babying you, maybe because you're quite a bit younger than him but you're not complaining. Many people can see how much Baekhyun likes you, if only you could publicise your relationship status with him. 

"I just wish he'd have the heart to text me, or something, you know?" you mutter as you turn the last bend of the route. You can already see your houses a few metres away. 

"I'm sure he'll explain," Sehun consoles. He squints when someone comes out of a car that is parked by the road, the slamming of the door loud in the late night. "Hey, isn't that Baekhyun hyung?" 

"Huh?" you whip your head around to look to the front, focusing on the man who is standing at the front of his car. 

He has his arms crossed in front of his chest and as you get closer, you realise that it really is Baekhyun, waiting for you patiently. You briefly wonder how long he has been waiting here for, but Sehun's nudge makes you turn to him. 

"Told you he'd explain." 

You scowl at him. "How would you know if he's here to explain?"

He shrugs. "Because if I really loved someone as much as he loves you, I'd do that." 

You stare at him, weighing his words. He looks back at you with a serious face, no hint of teasing or mischief. You decide to think about it later when you finally reach Baekhyun. He smiles at you and Sehun. 

"I see you've made up?" he teases, nodding at the both of you.

Sehun actually blushes. "We didn't... I mean, it's not—"

Baekhyun chuckles and relents upon seeing him fluster. "It's fine, Sehun. I was just joking. I'm happy to see the both of you talking again." He glances at you, "She's been whining about how I'm not stupid enough to replace her best friend."

"Baekhyun," you whine, going over to his side.

He laughs, winding an arm around your waist and resting his hand on your . Sehun smiles, a little awkwardly, but at least no longer forced. 

"I'll leave the both of you," he says, taking small steps in the direction of his home. He looks at you. "See you in your room?"

You nod and he smiles, waving at Baekhyun before leaving. You finally turn to Baekhyun with a pout in your lips. Your boyfriend taps on your jutting lip in an attempt to make you keep your pout. You don't, so the only thing Baekhyun knows that will help is to kiss you. And he does exactly that. He tilts your chin upwards and captures your lips with his soft and familiar ones. 

How many times have you kissed Baekhyun? It's literally uncountable, but as many times as you've kissed him, you always want more. No matter if you're breathless, if your lips are swollen, or if you're tired. Something about kissing Baekhyun just rejuvenates you and it reminds you of every reason why you love him. 

"I'm still mad at you," you mumble against his lips as he nibbles on your bottom lip, lightly. You rub his chest through the fabric of his shirt. 

"Hmm, and why is that?" he mumbles back, still kissing you. 

"Because you stood me up for someone else." 

Baekhyun freezes for a moment before pulling back from the kiss slowly. You keep your eyes intent on him, noticing just how shaky his gaze is as he looks at you. He seems anxious. Or nervous. 

"Who did you meet that was so important you forgot about your pretty girlfriend?" you ask, trying to sound lighthearted, but you can still taste the bitterness in your tongue as the words leave your mouth. 

He makes a face. "Um... She—"

"Oh," you raise an eyebrow and recoil a little. "It's a she." 

"Not what you think, babe," he panics, holding up his hands. You purse your lips and raise your eyebrows at him. But he bristles and instead changes the topic. "What's that on your neck?" he narrows his eyes on your neck before touching the red mark on your skin lightly. "I don't remember giving you that." 

You slap his hand away. "It was a mosquito bite. Why are you changing topics? What were you talking to this not-what-I-think she about?"

"Are you jealous?" 

"Yes, I am." 

Baekhyun squints at you. The both of you are just staring at each other, not backing down. Well, you're not in the wrong, are you? You just want to know what Baekhyun was up to, why he had to forgo meeting you after classes. And which girl was so special that he left you waiting for him for thirty minutes. 

"You're the only girl I love. Right now, right this moment," he murmurs softly, brushing the flyaway strands of hair from your face. "And it's not gonna change for days, or weeks, maybe even years." 

Your heart melts a little. "Then who were you talking to?" you mutter, crossing your arms defiantly. "You made me wait half an hour just so you could talk to her, Baekhyun. I think I deserve to know who that girl is." 

"Let me ask you a question first."

You nod, straightening your back and lifting your chin. "What is it?"

"When are your exams?"

"In three weeks," you answer a little unsurely, not sure where this is leading to. 

"And are you cramped with last minute assignments?" You scowl because he not only sounds like a teacher now, but also like your dad. "Answer me so I answer your question," he commands gently. 

"Yes..." 

"Then I won't tell you—"

"What?" you scowl. "Why not?!"

"Because nothing's as important as your studies," he pushes your forehead lightly. Your scrowl deepens and he chuckles. "Don't you trust oppa?" 

You stare at him for a moment. "I guess..." you mumble. 

"You guess?" he laughs, holding onto your hips to bring you closer to him. "Glad to know my girlfriend trusts me this much." You quirk a smile and he grins, bending to peck your lips. "Now, let's not talk about me because I will solve whatever problem I have coming my way. Let's talk about you." 

"What about me?" you lean into his chest and he plops down to sit on the hood of his car. 

"I heard about that H2A you got in Miss Jung's class," he smiles, eyes roaming around your face like they always do when you're this close, as if he wants to save this moment in his memory forever. "I'm very proud of you. Especially since the test is on constructions. And we both know how... talented you are with constructing things." 

"Hey," you giggle, poking his chest. He only laughs and hugs you closer to him. "I actually construct things pretty decently, okay!"

"Yeah?" he bites his bottom lip from laughing as you nod your head confidently. "Like what?"

"Sentences." 

Baekhyun bursts out laughing, which makes you laugh as well. But because it is late at night and the streets are empty, people are sleeping, Baekhyun tries to muffle his laughter by burying his face into your chest, his forehead resting on your collarbone. It takes him a while to stop laughing and you wonder how his day must have had been to make him this crazy. It feels as if this is first time today that he is laughing.

"You're so cheeky!" he finally says, slapping your . Then he looks up, eyes glinting with mischief. "But I have to say, you're not very good at constructing sentences either, you know. Remember that time when you stuttered in front of me, only because you wanted me to—"

Your eyes widen, finally catching on what he is trying to say. "Don't say it!"

"—Give it to you in the ?" 

You groan loudly when he cackles, squeezing you closer to him so that your struggles to get away from him become futile. "My boyfriend is the absolute worst," you grumble, slapping his chest.

"Anyway," he chuckles, grabbing your wrist so he doesn't get abused by you. He kisses your knuckles and brings them to his chest. "I want to bring you out tomorrow. To celebrate, or something." 

"Or something?" you repeat suspiciously. 

"I just wanna spend time with you," he crinkles his nose. "We've been so busy lately and we only ever meet when I have to drive you home." 

You realise that he is right. With Baekhyun being in his second year of his masters, he has been getting more assignments and essays to write. You've been trying to catch up with lectures that you've missed while studying for mid-terms. The both of you didn't have much time with the other.

"Fine," you agree. "But not tomorrow. Sehun's staying over and I think we might spend the day together tomorrow as well." You look at him apprehensively. "You understand... don't you...?"

He nods, "Of course, sweetheart. He's your best friend, I'm very happy you're on good terms again. I just don't want you to forget your lovely boyfriend." 

"Like I would ever," you roll your eyes playfully and lean in to peck his lips. "Let's meet on Sunday?" 

"Mmm," he rubs your back. "I'll come by to pick you up?" 

"Noon?" 

"Be on time," he kisses you again before you stand upright so that you're no longer leaning on him. 

"Noon as in five in the evening, right?" you tease as Baekhyun stands from the hood of his car.

"Noon as in noon," he clucks his tongue jokingly, poking your waist with his finger. You squeal and move away from him. He laughs. "Come back here so I can kiss you one last time." You go over and he cups your face in his soft hands. He leans in closer until your noses are touching, still staring at you. "You know that I love you, no matter what happens, right?" he whispers.

You furrow your eyebrows and he brings your head down a little so he can kiss the knit between your brows. He continues to kiss the sides of each eye, then your nose. You realise that his eyes are closed now. Just as he approaches your lips, you shut your eyes as well, feeling his tender pillows bumping against your lips before firmly pressing them on you. He doesn't seek for entrance into your mouth, instead just giving you a long, sweet kiss on the lips. 

Your heart rate steadily increases until the point where you start to wonder if God could have installed mini drums into your body when he made you. Baekhyun finally pulls away and you're rendered breathless despite the innocence of the kiss. 

"It's getting late," he murmurs, pecking your parted lips again. "You should go back in." 

"But I—" 

"What the... You guys are still out here?" Sehun shouts as he leaves his house, all refreshed from his shower. 

Baekhyun gives you a wry expression. "Sunday. We'll meet again then." 

You sigh and nod. "Good night, Baekhyun." 

He hums, letting go of you as you take a step back. Sehun mutters loud enough for you guys to hear as he walks out of his front porch. "You guys have been out here for half an hour! No one's dying, I hope." 

You turn to scowl at him and you catch his naughty grin. You groan aloud. Baekhyun chuckles softly and you face him again to see him facing you, his hands in his pockets. He raises his eyebrows and waves at you. 

"I'll text you," you tell him, still taking tiny steps back. 

He nods, smiling. "I'll get mad if you don't." 

 

 

"Wait," you frown at Sehun, interrupting him mid-sentence. The both of you are on your bed, finally catching up on the time you guys had missed out on each other. "So you don't like Minji anymore?" 

"I'm getting to that!" he snaps impatiently. You nod and keep quiet as he continues, "So as you know... I've been spending a lot of time with Kai and we went out a few nights to clubs. We tried to get some girls but..." He fidgets uncomfortably. "It's like... you know how when you, um... you see someone talk to the person you like and you get that... Ughhh feeling?" 

"Yes..." you mutter, eyeing him carefully. 

"I kind of felt that—"

"With Kai?" 

"Yes," he whispers. 

"OH MY GOD, SEHUN!!!!!!!!!!"

"I KNOW!!!!!!!!" he screams back, burying his face into your pillow.

 

 

 


Author's note:

hahahahahahhahahaha sehun........ LMFAO I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING AT MY OWN PLOT TWIST I'M WRITING GAY BOYS IN MY FIC (nothing bad, just a first for me) OH MY GOD I HOPE I DON'T DISAPPOINT ANY SHIPPERS HERE LMAO (I'm not a shipper but if someone forced me to ship the boys, I'd ship SeKai hands down hands up, whatever. they belong together forever until the day people stop trying to force the moon to spawn humans)

Anyways, so, so sooo sorry for the super late update... I took more than a month and I'm so sorry!! I've been so busy lately and I just wanna finish my almost-ending fics asap, but I realise that that's kind of irresponsible of me to neglect my other ongoing fics as well, so i decided to update this. I hope i didn't disappoint with the update..!

If any of you are curious, I'm planning to finish this story with 30 chapters max. I don't wanna drag it on for too long, so expect longer chapters from now on! Though not promising quick updates(⌒_⌒;) 

have yet to proofread, sorry if i made any mistakes!!!

Till next time
xoxo