FOURTEENTH

Rules & Regulations

You have been having conflicts and mental battles in your head for the past few days. You want to be in denial about falling for Mr. Byun, but you can't. Not when everything is so obvious. Every time you receive a text from him, your heart starts pounding so hard that you can almost hear it. And every time you think of him, you just have to bury your face in your pillow to muffle a loud, annoyed groan. Why did you have to like him?

Thursday is finally here and you and Sehun are already in the indoor basketball court. Minji and her brother, Minseok, have met you. The two siblings hardly resemble each other, except for their size. Minji is petite, like her brother who is just a bit shorter than Sehun. She has big eyes and a bob haircut that looks cute on her but would have looked terrible on you. She's shy and reserved, but intellectual.

While the four of you chat and wait for the other two teachers, you're constantly glancing at the entrance. You're anxious and nervous. You recognise these feelings, something you've never felt in so long. You've never had major crushes on anyone for a long time now, so this all feels foreign to you.

The moment the door opens and you see the two teachers walking in, you feel like your heart is going to spill out your mouth. Mr. Byun is wearing tights under a pair of basketball shorts and a white Supreme sweater. Despite how romance novels explain it, you realise that not everything they say is true. Before you found out that you liked Mr. Byun and after you acknowledged your feelings, the way you see him still has not changed. Novels describe the Crush as if their features had been enhanced once the protagonist has figured out her feelings. But that's not how it is with Mr. Byun. Or maybe you just don't like him to that extent.

"Hey, you," Mr. Byun reaches your cluster, grinning widely. You smile back and he chuckles. He turns to the others and they all start to introduce each other.

Mr. Byun takes a seat next to you as he talks to Minseok. He lowers himself carelessly and accidentally sits slightly on you. He immediately turns to you, rubbing your thigh as he flusters an apology. He hadn't squash you with his weight and yet he acted like he had stepped on your pet dog. You laugh and cover his hand, squeezing it lightly as you bring it away from your leg.

"It's fine," you tell him. Mr. Byun's gaze on you softens and he forgets about his previous conversation with Minseok.

"You look different," he comments, scrutinising you.

"How so?" You raise an eyebrow. He still looks the same.

Mr. Byun tilts his head. "Prettier." Oh God. And you thought you might be able to live this day without blushing once. The male's lips quirk into an amused smile. "Ah, there's that blush I miss." You whine softly and he laughs. "So have you checked your results?"

You shake your head. When you see him narrowing his eyes on you, you explain, "I'm nervous, okay!"

Mr. Byun stands all of a sudden and holds his hand out to you, "I'll be with you. Bring your phone."

"Why?" You ask slowly. The others are glancing at you guys even as they talk.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes, of course I do."

Mr. Byun looks at you with what seems like affection. He announces to the others as he starts to leave the bench, "We'll get some water."

You and Mr. Byun leave the court, out into the corridors of the community centre. There are no seats outside, so the two of you settle on the ground at a secluded corner. You stare at your teacher, who looks even more beautiful upclose.

"Come on," he holds out his palm. You unlock your phone and give it to him without a word. You hug your knees, feeling cold in the unheated corridor. Mr. Byun glances at you. "Are you cold?"

"Just slightly."

He places your phone his lap and starts to take off his pullover. The jersey underneath rides up as he pulls the hoodie over his head, letting you see some skin. Blood rushes to your cheeks and your heart is thundering in your chest. You don't even feel safe in your own body now, especially with all the sudden emotions running through you. Mr. Byun hands you his jacket.

"Wear it," he commands.

You take it from him and don the oversized jacket, letting Mr. Byun's lingering warmth and the strong scent of him engulf you. Mr. Byun has scooted closer when you've stuck your head through the pullover that your thighs are pressed up against each other. He is looking for the student portal on your phone. When he has gotten to the website, he passes you the device so you can key in your username and password. Once you grant him access to your portal, he goes into the results section of your page.

"I'm so nervous," you breathe, hands already clammy.

Mr. Byun glances at you, witnessing your pale face.

"I'll be here with you, baby," he murmurs softly. "You'll do fine."

Your pounding heart is going to make you vomit. "What if I don't?"

"Then you'll just have another semester with me." Another semester with Mr. Byun? You really shouldn't want it, but you do. He turns back to your phone, getting to your exam results. "Ready?" He asks you. You shrug and he chuckles.

It is quiet as you and Mr. Byun look at your phone, your heads clustered together. You can hear him breathing and it makes you feel so much more nervous. Mr. Byun finally gets to the results and you hold your breath. He scrolls slowly, building up the suspense and anxiety in you. You see your science results first, which show that you've passed with good grades. Mr. Byun's lips twitch into a smile when he sees that.

"Oh my God..." You breathe. The suspense is killing you.

Mr. Byun chuckles breathlessly, like he is holding his breath as well. You go closer to him, until your chest is pressed against his arm. One by one, you see that you passed your architecture subjects. Though they're not fantastic, at least you passed them. Finally, when it comes to Mr. Byun's subject, you and Mr. Byun are both not breathing until you see the mark: 56. You squeal and Mr. Byun lets out a huge breath. This means that you passed everything!

Mr. Byun puts your phone on the ground and turns so quickly that when he embraces you, you don't have the time to react to it. You're stunned.

"I'm so happy for you," he murmurs, turning his head slightly so that his lips brush your ear shell. "We have to celebrate, okay?" He pulls back and stares at you. "Just you and I." You nod, not trusting yourself to speak. "Tomorrow. Dinner." You bob your head again and he grins so wide that you're almost blinded by his smile. "Ugh, I don't even know why I'm so happy for you. I just want to kiss you, or something."

Your heart stops. You want to tell him "so do it" but you don't. Not when Sehun has left the basketball court to look for you. You stand with Mr. Byun and he slips your phone into the pocket of his hoodie that you're wearing. The moment Sehun finds you, you beam at him. He jogs over and you throw yourself at him.

"I passed everything!" You squeal excitedly.

"Really?" Sehun laughs happily, hugging you back with an intensity that beats Mr. Byun's hug. "I told you you could do it!!!" He kisses the top of your head and wraps an arm around your shoulders, steering you back to the gym. "Let's have dinner after, I'll buy."

You're talking to Sehun, almost forgetting about Mr. Byun. You turn around and see him standing where you guys had been sitting at. You hold out your hand.

"Come on, Mr. Byun."

You and your teacher have decided to meet at half past six in the evening the next day. Mr. Byun is punctual outside your house, waiting for you. Your parents are out for a party, so you don't have to explain much to them except text your mother that you will be out for the night. When you enter Mr. Byun's car, you realise that the loud thudding isn't the sound of snow flakes hitting the earth. It's your heart telling you that it is excited.

"You look beautiful," Mr. Byun compliments you, raking his eyes over your entire body while you wear your seatbelt. But then he pushes your coat away from your legs and slightly caresses your thigh. You might not have been breathing properly. He feels the stocking you're wearing and stops touching you. "Are you sure that's thick enough? It's so cold today, sweetheart."

You blush and reassure him, "I'll be okay."

"I'll turn up the heater," he murmurs, reaching for the dial on the console in front of him. As he starts to drive off carefully on the snowy path, he asks, "So how was dinner last night with Sehun?"

You're surprised that he would even ask this question. Nonetheless, you answer him. "Normal, I guess? Only difference was that he paid." You chuckle.

Mr. Byun hums. You talk about useless things during the entire ride to the restaurant. Mr. Byun has picked a Japanese restaurant, which is great because you have been craving for sushi. When you have parked and the both of you have gotten out of the vehicle, Mr. Byun immediately places a hand on your back so you don't get lost. There are many people out today. He guides you to the restaurant where you wait for a bit for your table to be ready.

When you have taken your seats at the corner of the restaurant, you finally get to look at your teacher face-to-face. He smiles at you with his hands interlocked in front of him. You immediately start to flush at his attention on you. He laughs.

"Stop laughing at me," you whine as you take off your coat. You're wearing a knitted turtle neck dress that hugs your body nicely.

"You're just so cute," Mr. Byun is still chuckling. He nods at what you're wearing. "Nice dress."

"My mum bought it for me while I was in Paris," you tell him. "It's surprisingly warm."

"Really," he raises an eyebrow. You nod. He hums and opens the menu booklet in front of him. "Order anything, okay? I'll pay."

"But—"

"No, I'm paying and that's final." Mr. Byun is firm and he doesn't even look up from his menu. You sigh in defeat.

The both of you order and wait patiently for the food to arrive. You don't say much, but the silence is comfortable and natural. Nothing is awkward or tensed. And though your mind and heart were always in a mess when you think of Mr. Byun, now that you're with him, you're calm and at peace. It's as if with his presence, you're okay and you don't have to overthink with him around. Your classical music isn't just his voice, but his presence too.

"So what will you be taking next semester?" Mr. Byun asks, taking a sip of water. You list him the subjects you're planning to take and he looks surprised for a moment. But that surprise turns into something like disappointment. Your heart falls slightly. "Reshaping Environments, did you say?"

"Yeah...?"

Mr. Byun lets out a loud sigh. He takes another sip of water, looking fidgety and uncomfortable. You feel worst now that Mr. Byun seems unhappy. You don't even know why he is like this. But if he feels uncomfortable, you feel uncomfortable too. The sushi you're sharing arrives first but Mr. Byun only drinks his water. The tension is almost palpable and that makes you anxious.

"Are you okay, Mr. Byun?" You ask quietly.

"I'm taking Reshaping Environments," he whispers almost brokenly, like he is scared. If Mr. Byun is scared, you're terrified. And you don't even know why.

"You mean as a student?" You whisper back, afraid that you might scare him or something. He already looks so fragile.

Mr. Byun looks up and stares right into your eyes. "As a teacher."

You keep quiet, not sure what to do with this information. So he is upset that he is teaching a subject you are taking next semester? Why? Is it because he doesn't like teaching you? You think back to the first few weeks of uni, reminded of Mr. Byun's treatment towards you. Of course he doesn't like teaching you. You were practically a hopeless case until he spat on you and made you think logically.

Mr. Byun must have understood your quietness as insecurity, because he immediately puts a warm hand over yours. Your breath hitches. His eyes drop to your icy hand in shock when he feels the coldness. His thumb rubs the back of your palm to warm you.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have reacted this way," he apologises, sighing. "I just thought today could be a double celebration."

"A double celebration for what?" You ask softly.

"For your results and for the end of our platonic teacher-student relationship." 


Author's note:

Um...... just need to warn you guys.............. that you should get damn ready for the next chapter........whenever that is.... :-)

Till next time
xoxo