Chapter 6 - Mission: Impossible

The Millionaire Matchmaker

hellooo lovelies <3

i was really ill this week but i wanted to keep writing, so im sorry if this feels disjointed and not really with it at some points as i was writing in dribs and drabs and my heart wasn't as in it as it could/should have been. but i tried. ah well 

to make up for the potentially crappy writing, i tried to make this update a big long 'un (its 7522 words!!!)

but 424 subscribers???????? where did you all come from???????? thank you so much <3333333333333

but yes, ive finished that course thingy i was on, so hopefully i will have more time to write!! (and hopefully my writing will be a lot better than it is in this update!) 

unedited, as usual, but i will come back. 

i hope you enjoy this update! 

much love to you all, i'll see you all very soon <33333

 

CHAPTER 6 - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 

Everything goes quiet.

Jongin doesn’t call.

His phone is switched off.

His voicemails go unread.

Sehun hasn’t seen him.

Jongin’s face isn’t in the papers; he hasn’t been out clubbing.

Joohyun finds his apartment empty when she goes to check on him.

Jongin is gone.

***

Luhan stirs the cup of tea before him idly; his eyes trained on the grey figure lying slumped on the sofa.

It’s been two and a half weeks. Kyungsoo called into work sick for that length of time.

He hasn’t changed out of his outsized sweats for a week. Lord knows when he last had a shower.

Luhan figured on the second day that something must be seriously wrong as Kyungsoo never takes more than one day off, even if he’s nearly dying of flu.

When the door to Kyungsoo’s apartment had opened, Luhan had stepped his way inside wordlessly then, once inside, demanded that Kyungsoo told him what’s wrong.

Kyungsoo had remained wordless, and Luhan had bargained tea making duties with him in exchange for an explanation.

Luhan carries the two steaming mugs and places them on the coffee table between Kyungsoo’s sofa and an armchair .He sits down in the armchair silently, as if he is frightened of spooking an animal. Which in some ways, he is.

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything. He just stares at the tabletop. It feels as if someone has punched him in the stomach; winded him, and he feels... hollow. Empty. Almost... grieving?

“So...” Luhan begins, reaching forward to grab his drink. Kyungsoo mirrors the action and brings the cup to his lips, taking a tiny sip. The tea is hot, strong and sweet, and the slight burn as it travels down his throat is warming enough for his voice to say

He kissed me.” The words are almost whisper of air, but in the stale silence of Kyungsoo’s apartment Luhan picks up on them easily.

He nearly drops his mug but gets a grip of it quickly and places it daintily on the coffee table. “Isn’t that a good thing?” Luhan enquires.

“He left. Straight afterwards. Haven’t heard from him since. No one has.” Kyungsoo’s speech is slow, as if he is tired and words are an effort to him.

 It’s hard, admitting it. It’s a rejection of sorts, and for someone as introverted and shy as Kyungsoo, rejection is not an easy pill to swallow. It hurts more than he expected as well. He could try and kid himself into the fact that he doesn’t care for Jongin at all, that he doesn’t have even the tiniest bit of feeling for him. There are a lot of things he could try, but the chances of any of them working are slim to none. Kyungsoo had been... naive enough to guess that Jongin would at least feel something for him. He had been the one who had initiated the kiss in the first place. Kyungsoo had hoped Jongin would feel enough to not leave him in silence. Or maybe Kyungsoo doesn’t mean anything at all.

“I thought you had another meeting with him today? For the matchmaking?”

“I do. It’s unlikely he’ll show up though. I’ll still go to the cafe. Look for a bit. I owe Mr Kim that much.” There is a heavy weight on Kyungsoo’s chest, making it hard for him to breathe as he climbs off the sofa, readjusting his glasses. “I’ll go and have a shower or something.”

Luhan watches him leave. Kyungsoo is never usually so cold and blunt. It makes him sad seeing Kyungsoo like this, but he’s afraid he has no idea what to do.

***

Luhan comes with Kyungsoo to the cafe. Sooyoung, the barista, brings their order to the table, and her eyebrows furrow in concern at Kyungsoo’s lack of enthusiasm. Luhan thanks her and shrugs his shoulders in response to her questioning look.

“How about tonight, we get everyone round; have a little party you know?” Luhan says, trying to drum up some enthusiasm from Kyungsoo. “It’ll be nice for you to have a little break.”

Thankfully, Kyungsoo smiles a little. A night with his friends did sound appealing. “Yeah, I guess that could be fun.” Maybe he needs a little time with his friends. Maybe it will distract him from... him.

Call him crazy, but Kyungsoo thinks that there is a connection somewhere. He doesn’t know how it got sparked, or whether it’s still burning, but somehow it happened. He has become almost reliant on Jongin—on the secret phone calls and the eye smiles and the meetings and the childlike excitement. It’s something deeper than skin, something intangible but ever present, and Kyungsoo fears he might be letting himself tumble off a ledge that he has been so firmly cemented on for the past twenty-something years.

It’s a stupid thought. Jongin has been in his life for less than two months. He’s far from the edge yet, or so he tells himself.

Kyungsoo’s inner monologue is cut when Luhan gulps a mouthful of coffee harshly and nearly chokes, his eyes widening at something behind Kyungsoo’s head. He stands up abruptly, and squeezes Kyungsoo’s arm quickly, giving him a meaningful look. “So, we’ll all go to Yixing’s tonight or something, ok? I’ll see you then.” He scurries away from the table and Kyungsoo sits numbly, until a cough sounds from over his right shoulder.

 

Kyungsoo turns and there is Kim Jongin. After a week and a half of utter silence, there he stands, looking just as tall and imposing but with dark circles under his eyes and a jumpiness in his hands telling of late nights and too much coffee.

Jongin sits himself down steadily, and he and Kyungsoo lock gazes.”Hello.” Jongin says timidly.

Kyungsoo stares. Jongin looks worried.

“Where did you go?” Kyungsoo asks. The question is so lacking in intonation it is more of a statement.

Jongin his lips. “I had some... things to do.” He says vaguely.

Kyungsoo knows he is not going to get anymore on the topic so leaves it, and stares blandly at the table.

The air around them is emotionless and still. Jongin stutters a breath and Kyungsoo sighs. This is not right.

***

“I can’t do it.”

Kyungsoo sits a few hours later on Zhang Yixing’s sofa with his head in his hands and a whisky by his side. (He’ll act like a granddad if he wants to, thank you very much.)

Junmyeon, Yixing, Luhan, Jongdae and Minseok all sit around, along with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, observing him quietly.

“Of course you can do it, Soo. You’re brilliant.” Junmyeon says gently, eyes motherly and concerned.

Kyungsoo takes a gulp of the alcohol and briefly enjoys the burn in the back of his throat. He tilts his head back and pinches the bridge of his nose, his breath coming sharply.

“I usually can. I’ve always been able to matchmaker. There’s never been a problem before. I can always do it. But now I can’t. I can’t seem to find a match anywhere, let alone deal with the awkwardness now that—urgh, I don’t know. I just don’t know. Can we not talk about it?”

Everyone hastily shuffles around, and the subject is dropped.

 

Other than Kyungsoo’s little drop in confidence towards the beginning, the night is generally happy, warm and full of laughs, mostly thanks to Jongdae’s boisterous singing and Baekhyun’s pretty accompanying harmonies, all set to Chanyeol’s fractionally out of tune guitar. Kyungsoo never could resist a good sing song with his friends, and he is cheered greatly by the spirit and atmosphere.

 

As the night progresses, Kyungsoo’s friends slowly filter out, leaving warm hugs and kind words behind, until it is just Kyungsoo and Yixing drinking hot cups of cocoa and watching the fire flicker in the fireplace.

Yixing is a docile and quiet man, so they sit in comfortable silence and Kyungsoo relishes the lack of awkwardness in the air compared to his earlier meeting with Jongin.

Kyungsoo loves all of his friends dearly, but sometimes their persistent questioning just makes him clam up and not want to talk for the next five years. Something about Yixing, however, is that he somehow encourages one to talk to him by simply staying silent and offering a pair of thoughtful ears.

For this reason, Kyungsoo speaks. “I don’t get it. Mr Kim’s list of requirements isn’t that out of the ordinary. They’re quite easy, compared to some we’ve dealt with in the past. It’s not like we haven’t found matches for widowers before, so why is it so hard? There must be someone...”

“Maybe you’re putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. Are you really treating this case like any other? You know you’re not Soo, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe you’re... over thinking?” Yixing says, frowning as he tries to figure out the right words to say. Even though his Chinese and Korean translations are usually flawless, when it’s late at night sometimes the right words won’t come.

Kyungsoo nods absentmindedly, letting Yixing’s words sink in. “I guess I have felt more pressure. But generally we’ve gone about finding matches the usual way... It’s just that NO ONE—“

“What about Baek’s grandma?”

“Huh?”

“Baekhyun’s grandma... She’s been widowed for a few years too. She’s funny, positive, and she’s been talking about finding someone to go on all those cruises with for ages... Maybe her and Mr Kim would match? She makes really good cakes too, I swear every time I drop in for a visit she just feeds me all these amazing creations she’s just—“

The cogs in Kyungsoo’s brain are working now, and his matchmaker hat is firmly on his head. “Zhang Yixing. You absolute genius.”

Yixing’s idea is actually a good one. No, scratch that, it’s a brilliant one. Mr Kim isn’t looking to replace his wife, and Baekhyun’s grandma isn’t looking to replace her husband. Mr Kim wants to let go of the business of his past, to escape and relax in his old age. Baekhyun’s grandma wants to go on round the world cruises, and have someone special to take along with her. Baekhyun’s grandma is funny, loud, and down to earth (much like Baekhyun himself), and Mr Kim’s quiet nature will compliment that perfectly.

For the first time in ages, Kyungsoo feels like he has hit the jackpot. He leaps off the sofa, smacks a big sloppy kiss on Yixing’s cheek, grabs his coat and sprints out the door already getting ready to hail a cab.

Yixing frowns confusedly at his cocoa. “I mean, I just love Baek’s grandma so I guess...”

***

Kyungsoo wakes up with a spring in his step and a grin on his face. The sun is shining, he’s got some pancakes on the hob and Mr Kim’s mixer event will be held tonight.

Two evenings prior as Kyungsoo had dashed from Yixing’s apartment, he’d managed to call Byun Jinri and explain that he might just have found that perfect travelling partner. Jinri had always told Kyungsoo to keep an eye out for someone for her for many years, so the phone call wasn’t overly shocking to her, she was just rather pleased.

 “Ooh, I’ll be sure to put my nice frock on then. I’ll see you soon, Kyungie!” She had chirruped down the phone, with Kyungsoo cringing at the nickname.

Kyungsoo had then got straight on the phone to Mr Kim, and had arranged a date successfully thanks to much help from Hyoyeon and Yuri.

Mixer events could be formal or informal, it depended on the client. Usually, the event had one person with lots of suitable matches in the room, and they just mingled and found out who they clicked with. So far, Kyungsoo had only one person he thought was 100% compatible with Mr Kim, but he invited some other possible matches as well just to fill out the room and help Mr Kim settle.

The mixer was going to be held at the Grand Palais in Seoul, an imposing building with marbled floors and a large ballroom; perfect for introducing clients and their matches.

Kyungsoo had employed the best decorators, best chef and the highest trained waiting staff to be present on the night, as it had to be perfect. After all the time he made Mr Kim wait, Kyungsoo will settle for nothing less.

He still hasn’t cleared the air (is there even air to clear in the first place?)With Jongin yet, but he asked Tao to ask Sehun to remind Jongin that he is supposed to show up for the event, for his father’s sake more than anything.

 

And so Kyungsoo spends his day lazing around—that’s all he seems to do nowadays—until he pulls on that oh-so-well-fitting tux and gels his hair smartly.  Luhan had begged and whined and moaned his way into being Kyungsoo’s official ‘date’ for the evening, and the baby faced man rocks up on Kyungsoo’s doorstep at precisely half past six, squealing like a piglet with excitement.

“Oh, Soo! You look AMAZING! I can’t believe it! We’re going to the Grand Palais! For Kim Heechul’s mixer!” Luhan bustles his way inside Kyungsoo’s apartment, wearing his own well fitting tux with his own hair styled. (“By the best stylist in Seoul, I’ll have you know. I am going to looking stunning when I run into Oh Sehun, mark my words!”)

Kyungsoo smiles blandly; he can’t really believe it either. The nerves are starting to twist in his stomach, but he pushes the fear to the back of his mind and let’s Luhan lead him into a glossy Bentley parked outside the apartment block. Well, you’ve got to live a little sometimes.

***

Kyungsoo glances at the large ticking wall clock, and then peeks his head round the door to the ballroom. Mr Kim and Baekhyun’s grandmother are getting on splendidly. Kyungsoo had told neither of them that the other was their intended match, but the two seemed to have found each other over the course of the evening so far and struck up a rapport.

Mr Kim had even collared hold of Junmyeon and asked that Jinri be moved to his table at dinner so that they might speak more. It must be getting serious, as even Mr Kim’s bodyguard Yifan has been sent to stand in the corner of the room, whereas he would usually remain by Mr Kim’s side all evening.

As ever, Kyungsoo was attempting to stay as far away from the action as possible, just allowing Mr Kim time to get to know Jinri and to allow them to have easy conversation without stress. He hovers in the doorway again, tugging at his shirt collar anxiously. He is well aware that Jongin was supposed to be here tonight, but so far he has been a no show.

Jongin has shown a lot of love and respect for his father in the past, so it seems unlikely that he would avoid the event purely because of Kyungsoo.

But the sky is black outside, the hour hand of the clock is creeping towards 11 and there is no sign of Kim Jongin.

That is until security put a call through to Kyungsoo. Two young men have been apprehended whilst entering the Grand Palais via a back entrance and Kyungsoo is needed to come and identify them. When he has hurried through the building after signalling his exit to Luhan, the sight that greets Kyungsoo is almost laughable.

There, on the floor of what appears to be a laundry room, are a sweaty, panting Jongin and Sehun, their hands tied loosely behind them and disbelief painted across their faces.

The head guard begins to tell Kyungsoo something, but he cuts him off with a command to untie both men and to give them some privacy for a few moments. The guards oblige, and when the door closes behind them as they leave there is a second of silence before Jongin and Sehun collapse into laughter, clutching their sides and wheezing.

“Oh my god, what was that!” Jongin shrieks.

“I’ve got the world’s worst cramp in my foot!” Sehun cackles, hopping around the room with his foot clasped tightly in his palm. 

Kyungsoo merely stands with his arms folded and a stern look on his face. The laughing boys see his face and sober up swiftly, until the room is filled with silence save for their heavy breathing.

Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows. “Care to tell me what on earth is going on? You’re no less than,” Kyungsoo glances at his watch briefly “Four hours late to this event, your suits are a mess, you yourselves look a mess, you’re acting like banshees and you nearly got yourselves arrested for breaking into a laundry room at a highly private event.”

“Not my fault they don’t know who I am.” Jongin whispers to Sehun, who starts to giggle again before Kyungsoo cuts him off.

“I swear on both your lives if you don’t tell me what’s going on right this instance, I’ll kick you straight back out that door and I’ll get you banned for life. Where’s Tao anyway? Shouldn’t he be looking after you?”

Sehun sighs and rolls his eyes. “Tao’s somewhere up in your little event. Flirting with Jong’s dad’s bodyguard probably.” He waves a hand lazily. “Had a thing for him for months.”

Jongin steps forwards slightly, forehead glistening with sweat and chest still rising and falling rapidly. His suit and hair look dishevelled, but he still looks disarmingly handsome. He reminds Kyungsoo of a delinquent schoolboy with his shirt untucked and tie loosened, but as usual the suit is so well tailored to Jongin’s body that there’s no doubt that Jongin has physically matured way past a skinny, lanky teenager. Kyungsoo is rendered momentarily breathless, before remembering that he is supposed to be angry at the intrusion and rearranges his face.

“Look, Soo, we’re really sorry. We did try to get here on time, honestly, but sasaeng’s that like stalk Sehun, I swear they treat him like an idol or something, they followed us for ages. And then somehow the paparazzi got tipped off, and then they went crazy because I guess no one’s seen me round for a while,” He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. “The paparazzi were following us, then the car broke down so we had to get out and run for it while they were chasing us down the street like loonies. We didn’t want to barge into the front entrance because that would bring loads of attention and I know it’s supposed to be private for dad, so we had to climb over a fence and then through a load of hedgerows to get round the back. This door was open so we walked in but we didn’t realise how much security there was so those guys started yelling at us and before we could explain they had tied our hands up and then you came which was ok but obviously we’ve been running for ages and we look awful and we’re tired and I could really do with a drink but—“

“Jongin, stop.” Kyungsoo commands, waving his hand in the air. He’d just about recovered enough from Jongin’s use of his nickname to get the general gist of what had happened. Either way, Jongin was getting worked up and Kyungsoo was worried the poor boy was going to hyperventilate and pass out at the rate he was going. “There’s no way I’m letting you in the ballroom in the state you’re in. When you leave this room, head straight down the corridor and take the first door on your right. It’s a bathroom, and there’s paper cups and drinking water. Have a drink, and try to smarten yourselves up. Then I’ll think about letting you in. I’ll find Luhan, and we’ll figure out some way to smuggle you out of here without getting eaten by paps, ok? Just promise me you won’t cause me anymore trouble, I’m getting a headache as it is.”

Sehun and Jongin nod fervently, and Sehun speaks properly for the first time. “No, no, we promise we won’t, Kyungsoo hyung! Thank you so much.” He trundles past and heads towards the bathroom.

“Thanks, hyung.” Jongin says shyly, tugging lightly on Kyungsoo’s jacket sleeve as he passes.

Kyungsoo ignores the fluttering in his tummy.

***

Sehun and Jongin had managed to do a decent job of scrubbing themselves up, so Kyungsoo had allowed them into the ballroom for the last few hours of the evening. Mr Kim had been pleased to see Jongin, and he promised he would let him know how the evening had gone at some point.

Fortunately, Sehun had stuck with Tao for the remainder of the evening, so managed to stay out of trouble as well.

 

 

It is the early hours of the morning when Kyungsoo sits leisurely at the edge of the dance floor, observing Mr Kim and Jinri swaying to a ballad playing over the speakers. He has an interesting view, mostly filled with dancing couples but also with Tao trying desperately to flirt with Yifan and of Jongin being surrounded by women trying to get him to dance with them. He scuffs his feet along the floor bashfully and blushes at the attention, but waves them all away and Kyungsoo snorts. He could almost drift off to sleep, but a panicked Yixing taps him on the shoulder sharply.

“Kyungsoo. We have a problem.” Yixing beckons him to follow, and Kyungsoo gives one last survey of the dance floor before doing. 

The hubbub of the room is muffled when the doors to the ballroom shut, and the sound fades to nothing when Yixing leads Kyungsoo upstairs to a a large window overlooking Seoul. Kyungsoo takes a moment to appreciate the view before looking to Yixing for explanation.

“That is our problem.” Yixing points and Kyungsoo looks down towards the front of the building.

Ah.

That will be an issue.

There are lines and lines of photographers and journalists crammed around the front of the Grand Palais. In some places the crowd is around 8 or 9 people deep, due to a number of spectators and fan girls who have gathered at the back despite the rude hour. Cameras are flashing, pens are clicking and the journalists look ready to pounce. The security staff are doing a good job of holding them back though, and so far no one has broken through.

There is no way Jongin and Sehun, or even Mr Kim are going to be able to leave undisturbed. They’re like a starving pack of animals out there, and they’ll take whatever they can.

The night will be ending soon, and weary guests will be wanting to leave, so Kyungsoo needs to think of a plan, fast. He hurries down the corridor, his mind whirring even though he is exhausted. Jongin and Sehun are undoubtedly their main points of interest. Mr Kim is popular and somewhat famous yes, but not to the extent that this sort of media reaction would be provoked. This reaction has been sparked by a social media spread, something far more accustomed to the younger generation and therefore Sehun and Jongin’s ‘fans’.

There’s no way Jongin and Sehun are going to be able to go home tonight. Kyungsoo made Junmyeon check live updates on gossip websites, and images of reams of paparazzi outside both men’s apartment’s are multiplying by the minute.

“Kyungsoo!” Mr Kim calls, waving a hand at Kyungsoo when he re enters the ballroom. Word has spread about the crowds outside, and many of the guests have gathered in the ballroom anxiously awaiting news. Kyungsoo doesn’t blame them, many are high profile people in business, and large crowds could be hiding any kind of threat.

Kyungsoo hurries his way over to Mr Kim. “Yes, Mr Kim?”

“I take it this gathering outside is for my son and that friend of his?”

“We believe so, sir.” Kyungsoo replies, sniggering as Mr Kim rolls his eyes good naturedly.

“Can I trust you to take care of him for me Kyungsoo? Whatever you can do, just get my son out safely, get him somewhere to sleep for the night. He’s here for me, it’s my fault he’s here. I’ll act as a distraction. Yifan is a perfectly good body guard, we can just head straight out to our car.”

“Mr Kim, are you sure? You really don’t have to—“

“Nonsense, Kyungsoo, I’ll be fine. Get your other staff to direct the guests to the underground car park so they can leave safely. I’ll leave, pose for a few photos, and as I do that, get Jongin out. Tell him not to worry about me; I’ll call him in the morning if necessary. Look after yourself as well Kyungsoo.”

Mr Kim turns and says something to his security team, who all nod and go about making plans.

Kyungsoo makes sure Junmyeon sees to the other guests, before turning back to Mr Kim, who has a sly smile on his face. “This isn’t the first time I’ve been in a situation like this Kyungsoo, you needn’t look so worried for me. I might be an old man, but with age comes wisdom you know.” He taps the side of his nose conspiratorially. “The crowds aren’t really for me anyway, so it’s important you look after Jongin: it’s him they’re after.”

Kyungsoo nods, still trying to take in as much information as he can and to locate Jongin and Sehun over the crowds of people hurrying around in the ballroom.

“Hopefully, this’ll be my last taste of the CEO lifestyle, so I might as well enjoy it just this once. It is ever so fun pretending to be James Bond, you know. ” Mr Kim clasps Kyungsoo’s hand in his. “You’ve even found me a Bond girl. I will thank you properly for that at another time, but for now, we must go. Good luck Kyungsoo, I’ll see you on the other side.” He mock salutes and Kyungsoo giggles. He feels marginally less stressed seeing as Mr Kim is so calm.

Fortunately the crowds are clearing as people head out to their cars. Kyungsoo manages to catch sight of Jongin hovering on the other side of the ballroom. The tall man catches sight of Kyungsoo and hurries over, confusion painted across his features. “What’s going on, hyung?”

“It’s the press. They’ve pretty much blocked the entrance. Your father asked me to get you and Sehun out if possible, he’s going to leave out the front.”

Jongin looks as if he is going to say something but Kyungsoo cuts him off. “He said he’ll be in touch with you tomorrow. He’s going to be fine; you’re not supposed to worry. Do you or Sehun happen to have a holiday house by any chance?”

“Well, yeah Sehun has one in Barbados and our family one is down the southern coast... why?” Jongin answers, looking even more puzzled than he already did.

Kyungsoo sighs. “I was hoping it would be one nearby.” He flicks his phone out of his pocket and shows Jongin the videos of the crowds outside his apartment building. “You’re not going to get home alive if you try and get through that lot.” Kyungsoo rubs his eyes wearily. “Your little vanishing act had the fan girls in panic, so now they’re all in a state of hysteria and I don’t think we’re going to be able to restrain them.

Jongin purses his lips and looks mildly guilty.

A few moments later, Luhan comes barrelling through the crowds, tugging Sehun along behind him by the wrist. They both look suspiciously dishevelled, and their breathing is laboured, but Kyungsoo has better things to worry about so asks them for ideas.

Luhan considers for a moment, before his eyes light up. “You’re apartment’s literally a walk through the woods from here, isn’t it Soo?”

Kyungsoo nods unsurely. Luhan’s ideas are never really to be trusted, but at the moment it’s all he’s got.

“How about we go out of the back entrance? The other guests will keep the press occupied at the front, and I doubt anyone will expect us to be walking through the park and forest at 2am. We could crash at your place, just for tonight.” Luhan looks at him hopefully.

Kyungsoo is seconds away from screaming or crying or possibly both at the same time. Luhan’s ‘plan’ means that he will have to spend the rest of the night in close contact with Jongin, with no escape route.

Before Kyungsoo can’t shoot the idea down, a security guard comes rushing towards him. “Mr Do! Mr Do! They’ve got in! They’ve all but rammed the front doors. We’ve blocked off the ballroom entrance doors, but we don’t know how long we’ll be able to hold them for!”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen to saucers as he looks back and forth between Jongin and Sehun. “Your fans are insane... This is even worse than some idols for crying out loud...”

Sehun looks rueful. “Media generation, hyung. They’re crazy.”

The banging on the ballroom doors increases, and the people inside are becoming frequently more worried. Kyungsoo makes a quick decision, and silently waves goodbye to his sanity.

“Right. Where’s Tao?”

“He’s gone to help Yifan with protecting Mr Kim.” Sehun says, shuddering lightly. Kyungsoo feels there might be more to it that just helping Mr Kim and smirks slightly. That’s a question for later.

“Right, text him now, tell him you’re ok but for the love of God don’t tell him where you’re going in case he loses his phone or something. Let him know you and Jongin are safe, and then switch your phone off. That goes for all of us actually.”

There is scrabbling as the 4 men turn their phones of as quickly as they can. “We’ve worked with idols before.” Kyungsoo explains, and Luhan nods. “Fans are crazy enough to try and trace phone signals nowadays. If your fans are as bad as this, it’s likely they might try it too.”

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath, before pointing towards a small door at the back of the room. “Let’s go. Quickly, because I don’t think those doors will hold much longer.” He takes a concerned look at the door that are already bowing under the weight of the people outside, the screams and shouting and cameras clicking are already audible despite the noise of the ballroom.

They hurry from the ballroom and down an empty back corridor which was most commonly used by serving staff. Luhan checks round the corner, and seeing that it is clear, they carry on, twisting and turning down a maze of corridors.

“We might as well just stay here all night.” Sehun moans. “It’s not like paps are going to find their way through all these passageways.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, and shushes Sehun with a finger to his lips as they carry on walking. By the time they hit the back of the building, there are already guards standing round, looking concerned.

“We need to get out here.” Luhan says, gesturing to the door. The guards look at him incredulously.

“There’s no way you’re going to be able to leave out of this door. Look.” One of the guards says, pointing to the peep hole in the door. Kyungsoo steps forwards and peers through it, only to step back, blinking rapidly when a camera flashes brightly.

He blinks again, trying to clear the black spots in his vision. He can hear screaming and shouting out here as well, and even what sound like fan-chants.

“Is there no exit that isn’t surrounded by press?” he asks, almost desperately. He is exhausted, and by the looks of it Jongin, Sehun and Luhan are too.

The guard looks forlorn. “I’m sorry. We have guards on every exit, and they’ve all radioed through saying we’re surrounded.”

Kyungsoo rubs his temples.

“I know a way.” Sehun says suddenly, looking hopeful.

By now Kyungsoo has long since given up on rationality. “Lead the way.”

***

“Sehun, this is not bloody Mission: Impossible.”

They are standing in the same toilets where Kyungsoo had sent Jongin and Sehun to smarten up earlier. The toilets were widely disused now, as they were so far away from the main rooms of the Grand Palais.

“Oh come on, hyung. Look at this map.” Sehun leads them over to a floor plan on the wall. “This building was built in the style of an old English mansion or something. That’s why it looks so old and has parkland and a forest and stuff at the back of it. But when you look at this floor plan, you can see this.” Sehun points at a long rectangle, lying down the side of the building. “It’s an air vent. It’s entirely useless here, because this building was built with modern air con. But it was built in the style of an old house, where these vents would have been necessary for air flow.”

A look of realisation crosses Luhan’s face as he looks at the map. “So there’s an air vent that starts in this bathroom and leads,” He drags his finger along the picture, before tapping it when he sees where the vent leads. “right into the forest.”

“Exactly.” Sehun says, looking pleased with himself. “So we crawl through that vent. All the grounds of this place are fenced off and managed, so there are no wild animals or anything in the woods. But fan girls are really unlikely to be waiting outside in a forest. So we climb out here, take the walk through the woods and then voila. We’re free.” He adds a dazzling grin at the end for affect.

Luhan swoons. Jongin shrugs. Kyungsoo sighs. It’s completely insane, but it just might work.

***

“Ow. I keep banging my head.” Jongin whines from in front.

“Oh, stop you big wuss.” Sehun says from in front of him.

The air vent isn’t small, but it certainly isn’t large either. Kyungsoo and Luhan can fit down it quite easily because they’re small and compact, but Sehun and Jongin are having difficulties controlling lanky limbs and broad shoulders. They crawl in a long line, Sehun in the lead with Luhan behind him, followed by Jongin then at last Kyungsoo.

If the evening wasn’t going to be enough torture as it already was, Kyungsoo is now desperately trying not to stare at Jongin’s , and is desperately trying not to notice how good it looks in those tightly tailored trousers.

Considering all Kyungsoo can really see is Jongin’s , this is becoming quite difficult.

“Hyung’s right though, this is kinda Mission: Impossible-ish. It’s quite fun!” Sehun pipes from the front.

Kyungsoo stays diplomatically silent, but Jongin snorts in mirth.

Sehun pointedly ignores him, and they carry on crawling. Just as Kyungsoo’s knees are starting to get sore from the metal of the vent, Sehun gives a small “A-ha!”

He pushes open a small flap, and lo and behold, they’ve found the forest. There is still the hum of people in the back ground and Sehun presses his finger to his lips to make sure everyone stays silent. They have no idea where the nearest door is, so press and fans could be mere metres away.

Sehun climbs out of the vent first, dropping onto the Earth with a soft thud. Luhan and Jongin follow him, but Kyungsoo is hesitant.

It’s quite a drop for someone so small. He untucks his legs from behind him and dangles them out of the flap, clutching the edges of the tunnel tightly. His eyes water a little as they adjust to the blackness outside.

“Kyungsoo?” he hears Luhan ask. “Are you ok?”

“I- I don’t think I can do it.” Kyungsoo says shakily. He mentally scolds himself, the drop really isn’t that far, but the tiredness is playing games with his mind and the more he looks the further it seems.

“Honestly, hyung you’ll be fine.” Sehun reassures, looking concerned. He knows there’s no way they can climb back up to get Kyungsoo, so Kyungsoo will have to jump down.

Kyungsoo can hear the blood pounding in his ears. His jaw is tingling and his stomach is churning, but he knows he has to jump.

“Soo.” A soft voice says. “It’s alright, I’ll catch you.”

Kyungsoo trusts that voice. He has no particular reason to, but he trusts it more than Sehun and Luhan. He looks down, and sees Jongin looking up at him, arms outstretched.

“I promise.” Jongin says.

With that, Kyungsoo closes his eyes, and pushes away.

The feeling of falling is brief and shocking, but soon enough he has dropped and landed into something soft and strong.

Jongin squeezes him tightly to his chest, and Kyungsoo opens his eyes. He is rendered speechless for a few moments, as the feeling of himself lying clutched to Jongin’s chest sends his heart soaring and his stomach somersaulting. Jongin smiles gently, and Kyungsoo takes a moment to appreciate how pretty he looks with the backdrop of stars.

A soft giggle and a cough behind them pull Kyungsoo from dreamland. Jongin lets out a little gasp and sets Kyungsoo onto his feet, before they both turn to face a smug looking Sehun and Luhan.

“Come on, let’s go. We need to get back to Soo’s apartment before morning preferably. I want some sleep.” Luhan says, before turning and heading into the forest.

The light pollution from the streets of Seoul light the way so they don’t get too lost.

They walk in pairs, with Sehun and Luhan in front whispering away to each other and giggling. Kyungsoo observes the pair again, and his matchmaker senses are tingling. Luhan is going to be in for one hell of an inquisition when they get a quiet moment.

Kyungsoo and Jongin walk in silence for most of the way, until Jongin notices Kyungsoo smiling as he looks up at the tree canopy.

“It’s pretty, isn’t it?” he says.

“It is. It’s like a fairytale somehow. Like, this is such a beautiful forest, but just next to us there are cars and people and... A big city. I guess this must be what Central Park in New York is like. Having all that grassland and trees and everything in a city. I think Seoul’s a beautiful city, but this. This natural beauty is what I like most.”

Kyungsoo stops suddenly, aware that he has just revealed his typical clichéd inner romantic. He blames the tiredness, but also Jongin’s sleepy smile and the way the twinkling lights of Seoul dance across his face.

They fall into silence again, and Kyungsoo appreciates the way the screams and camera clicks from outside the Palais fade, and the noise evolves into the chatter of people and car horns, the normal sounds of Seoul.

He and Jongin fall into step again, with Jongin walking slower so his long legs don’t outpace Kyungsoo. They still don’t talk, but the presence of each other is relaxing.

Sehun and Luhan are waiting for them at the end of the footpath through the forest. When they catch up Sehun gives Jongin an odd look, but Jongin merely shakes his head and smiles lazily.

Kyungsoo has brief Narnia flashbacks as they step out of the forest and onto his street. The buildings replace the trees as they stretch up to the sky, illuminated and steady, unaffected by the early morning breeze. They walk single file down the pavement, as the street is busy despite the hour and the fact it is mainly a street of apartment blocks.

That’s just how Seoul is: alive.

 

 

The night doorman smiles to them as he opens the main entrance for them. Kyungsoo feels odd walking through the lobby of his apartment block, as it seems strange for all the lights to be dimmed and no Soojung crying happily at new baby scan photos of her soon to be niece or nephew.

The ride in the elevator is silent, as is the walk to Kyungsoo’s front door. Even Sehun and Luhan’s tiredness was taking over as the group slump into Kyungsoo’s apartment.

Luhan puts the lights on dimly as they take their shoes and coats off. “I’ll make us all a cocoa.” He says, heading into Kyungsoo’s kitchen as he sends Jongin and Sehun off for a shower.

“I was thinking you know, maybe you and Jongin should take your bed, and Sehunnie and I will take the sofa.” Luhan says.

Kyungsoo is so tired he nods blandly until it suddenly registers that—“Wait, what?”

Luhan chuckles softly, and pats Kyungsoo’s head like a mother does to her child. “Well, you don’t have a spare room. The sofa’s big enough for two, so me and Sehun will take that. Before you say it, no, I won’t share with you because you’re the world’s most irritatingly wriggly sleeper. So Jong Jong can share with you. You watch the drinks while I go and find them some clothes. See how kind I am? At least I’m not making him sleep .”

Even though he’s exhausted, Kyungsoo still has enough energy to throw Luhan an evil glare.

***

Once everyone’s been in the shower and changed into their sleep clothes for the night, they all settle round Kyungsoo’s living room table to drink their cocoa.

Kyungsoo gulps his down as quickly as he can, not caring if he burns his throat because he needs something to distract him from Jongin.

The younger boy is wearing a pair of Kyungsoo’s old pyjama bottoms and nothing else. The trousers are too short for him and they rest at around mid calf. Jongin’s hair is messy and pretty much dry already from the shower, and his torso is pleasingly taut and toned. It seems odd seeing him look so natural.

Kyungsoo thinks he looks young, younger than he usually looks. He looks softer as well, and Kyungsoo struggles with the fact that the first time they met they’d yelled at each other in the middle of the street.

Sehun looks young and fresh too, although that has always been part of his charm. Kyungsoo is slightly reassured to see that Luhan is having difficulty tearing his eyes away from the younger boy.

Jongin smiles at his cup and places it on the coffee table when he’s finished, and Kyungsoo does the same soon after.

“Right, I’m off to bed then.” Kyungsoo says, standing wearily.

Luhan gives him a smile that reveals his inner Satan before saying. “Well, take Jongin with you so he doesn’t get lost then petal.” Luhan winks and leans back against his bed for the night, also known as Kyungsoo’s sofa.

Sehun mutters a quiet ‘Night guys.’ From where he’s buried on the other end of the sofa, and Kyungsoo and Jongin return it as they leave, turning the lights off as they close the door behind them.

 

Kyungsoo walks awkwardly into his bedroom and is briefly mortified when he remembers that the awful baby picture of him and his cousin Hyunsik is still framed on the wall, along with a few other embarrassing shots from the early days of the company like the one of him and Baekhyun in drag singing karaoke from the first office Christmas party. Kyungsoo prays Jongin doesn’t spot that one.

“So... do you sleep on the left side when you’re looking at the bed or the left side when you’re in the bed?” Jongin asks, remembering a phone conversation he and Kyungsoo had once.

“Left side once I’m in the bed.” Kyungsoo says, and Jongin nods.

“I’m right side once I’m in the bed as well. That’s good then.” He adds nervously.

Kyungsoo smiles to himself; Jongin is such a dweeb sometimes. A very adorable dweeb.

Jongin climbs into the crisp white sheets and wriggles down so he can get comfortable. He plumps the pillow slightly, before resting his head on it and sighing. “You’re bed is really comfy Soo.”

 Kyungsoo pulls at his white loose tee nervously, face flushing when Jongin does that thing again where he calls him by a nickname and forgets the hyung.

Kyungsoo climbs in as well, snuggling down under his duvet and sighing at the warmth and comfort. He really is tired, and his eyelids are feeling heavy again.

Jongin leans over to the bedside table and flicks the lamp off. As Kyungsoo’s eyes adjust to the blackness, he watches Jongin’s outline cuddle down further, breathing a contented sigh.

“Night, Jongin.” He says suddenly, before biting down on the duvet to stop himself saying anything else stupid.

He can hear a smile in Jongin’s voice though when he replies. “Night, Soo.”

The room falls silent, and Kyungsoo can already hear the sound of Luhan snoring despite the door being closed.

As Kyungsoo is halfway between being awake and asleep, he’s sure he feels a soft kiss dropped onto his forehead.

Kyungsoo dreams.

 

 

 

 

twitter

curiouscat