Chapter 1 - Ohranghae Dating Services

The Millionaire Matchmaker

I'm sorry if this seems rushed and ends sloppily. IT WILL GET BETTER I PROMISE. It's just that I watched BTS' Dope video and then the leaked version of Catch Me If You Can (that had our ice princess in it ;-;) whilst I was mid writing this so i was kinda on an emotional rollercoaster. sorry bout that. but for now, enjoy <3

 

Chapter 1 - Ohranghae Dating Services

 

Do Kyungsoo is a routine man with a routine (some would say boring) life. He is just 25 years old, but already owns Seoul’s most successful matchmaking company. He likes his job; it brings him satisfaction knowing he makes other people happy and helps them lead a settled life. He has no boyfriend (he came out as gay at around 15), and has never had one (not counting the several useless college flings that leave him reeling to this day), but he has a close circle of friends and is in frequent contact with his family back in his hometown, especially his brother.

One would assume his lack in romance would mean he isn’t an ideal candidate for a matchmaker, but that certainly isn’t the case. Even as a young man, Kyungsoo had an eye for a good pairing, and could often predict which celebrity couples would break up next week or which ones would go the distance. Upon leaving university (his degree in Dramatic Arts was going to get him nowhere), Kyungsoo started off small and opened his dating company Ohranghae in a slightly shady part of Seoul, seeing as it was the only thing he could afford. He hired people from the local area, who were young and desperate for a job, and despite the varied backgrounds they came from, they all worked hard as a team and the company began to flourish.

A few years later a rich CEO from the business district came to Kyungsoo and asked for his help in finding a match for him. Kyungsoo successfully paired him with a sweet girl who worked on a market stall, and the CEO could only give raving reviews to magazines when he was interviewed approaching their wedding day. The press attention and increase in jobs coming to him meant Kyungsoo and his team could move to a swankier location, and over time he began being known as the Millionaire Matchmaker, due to all the CEO’s and wealthy people who visited him from the business district and the streets of Gangnam. 

Some would say Kyungsoo is very rich. He is, in some respects, but he could be much richer. As the ‘Boss’ of Ohranghae he could easily take the biggest wage and lead the comfiest life, but Kyungsoo just isn’t like that. His colleagues and friends work equally hard as him, so he pays them all equally meaning everyone can live cosy lives in nice apartments in safe districts with food on the table every night and a mobile phone so they can call their families. Kyungsoo is driven by seeing people happy, it makes him feel good. To this day, he still believes that is why his company is a successful as it is: they pair people based solely on whether they match as people, whether they will make each other happy, with no regard to their background or social status.

 

Kyungsoo lies in bed considering this one rainy Tuesday morning. It is around half an hour before his alarm goes off and he has to get up for the day, but Kyungsoo has always been an early riser and enjoys the quiet time he has to himself. The gentle pitter patters of the rain outside his window are relaxing and even the beeping of cars horns settles him somewhat. Seoul is grey today, but Kyungsoo doesn’t mind.

When his alarm finally goes off, he gets out of bed, pulls the covers straight and grabs a towel before heading for his shower. He spends exactly 23 minutes washing, the shower setting on two thirds cool to one thirds hot, giving him just enough time to rinse the shampoo from his hair and stand under the spray for a while. He dries himself off and pads into the kitchen in a towelling dressing gown, popping toast into the toaster and pouring water into the kettle for his cup of tea. While the kettle boils, he gets a bowl of cereal, pouring far too much milk onto it, but that’s how he likes it. The toast pops up just as the kettle boils, and Kyungsoo sits at his breakfast bar and eats, counting the raindrops sliding down his window with the dull chatter of the TV news playing in the background.

This is his routine, this is familiar and this is how Kyungsoo likes to live.

He puts his dishes in the sink, gets dressed in his smart shirt and trousers in under 10 minutes, then spends 2 and a half minutes brushing his teeth, the time meticulously recorded by the timer beside the bathroom sink. He locks his door and steps into his apartment buildings elevator, and bobs his head softly to the mindless music playing. When he arrives in the lobby the large ticking clock on the wall announces that it is 8:35am, as it always is.

“Morning oppa!” The pretty girl on the front desk, Soojung, greets him, eyes never looking up from her paperwork. She’s known Kyungsoo long enough to know exactly when he will arrive and has no need to check whether it is him or not.

“Morning Soojung... Give my congratulations to Jessica for me!” Kyungsoo trills as he walks past. Soojung’s sister Jessica had recently had news that she is expecting a baby, and Soojung’s excitement at becoming an auntie was showing.

“I will!” Soojung smiles, finally lifting her head to wave at him as he leaves the building.

 

Kyungsoo walks to work, twisting the handle of his multi-coloured umbrella in his hand as he goes, adding a splash of colour to the rainy streets. People pass by him, also in a rush to get to places, but Kyungsoo pays them no mind and enjoys a leisurely stroll. He rounds several more corners until he reaches his building, the glass doors sliding open when he is a few steps before them and then sliding shut once he has stepped through them with an airy whoosh and a clunk. Several other people in the office nod to him as he passes on his way to the elevator, he is well known for being friendly around the block.

A short elevator ride later, the doors give a cheery ding as they open, a mechanised voice announcing “Floor 8, Ohranghae Dating Services.”

Kyungsoo sighs in relief as he steps out onto his floor, leaving his umbrella by the entrance near a scattered pile of wellington boots and wet coats, plus a dubious pink poncho that undoubtedly belongs to Kim Seokjin, the new intern that only started working for the company four weeks ago.

As he walks past the desks of his co-workers, Kim Junmyeon, his precious office secretary (without whom Kyungsoo’s company would surely be in ruins) hands him a cup of coffee. Kyungsoo thanks him and returns translator Zhang Yixing’s smile as he walks past. He begins to wave at Chanyeol and Baekhyun, but he notices they are already asleep, slumped over each other at their work station. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and makes for his office, which is in a private room where he can meet clients and discuss matchmaking.

He pushes the door open, and a red haired male with dainty features barely looks up from the trashy gossip magazine he is reading as he swings round on Kyungsoo’s posh leather chair.

“Morning, Snookums.” The boy says, popping a jelly worm into his mouth and chewing it lazily.

“Xi Luhan why are you in my office?” Kyungsoo groans, marching round the desk to tip Luhan out of his chair. He grumbles but moves himself to the plush chaise longue in the corner, still flicking through his magazine.

“ Baek and Chan are annoying me. You have any idea how tiresome it gets listening to them  whittle on to each other all day?” He puts on a squeaky girls voice, “Oh darling would you get me a cup of tea? oh yes of course I will sweetheart, oh thank you love of my life, flame of my existence blah blah BLAH!” Luhan rolls his eyes dramatically, before angrily turning the page of his magazine, whining when it rips a little at the corner.

Kyungsoo takes a long gulp of his coffee; looks like he’s going to need it today. “Lu, they’re both asleep already. I’d say you’ve got until at least half past one until they wake up again, it’s not going to be a problem.” He said soothingly, before pointing to the door with one hand and flipping through files on his desk with the other. “Now out!”

Technically speaking, Luhan is the deputy boss of the company, but he still obeys Kyungsoo’s command and flounces out of the office, throwing his magazine on Kyungsoo’s desk in a very Luhan-like display of faux-anger. Kyungsoo ignores it and grins internally; Luhan’s left his sweets on his desk, so he’ll be back begging like a child in a few minutes. Kyungsoo helps himself to a particularly tasty looking strawberry gummy worm, and settles down to study his cases for today and which matchmaker he should assign them to.

He’s around half way through the pile when his desk phone rings. He frowns at it for a few seconds.This is unusual. Most phone calls were answered by the office staff or the interns, and were only forwarded to Kyungsoo if absolutely urgent. Kyungsoo picks up the phone and holds it to his ear, smiling and saying “Hello, you have reached Ohranghae Dating Services, this is Do Kyungsoo speaking, how may I help you?”

“Ah, Mr Do, I’m pleased to have finally reached you. My name is Kim Hyoyeon; I’m secretary to Mr Kim Heechul, CEO of Super Enterprises.”

Kyungsoo nearly drops the phone. Super Enterprises is Seoul’s most successful company, probably the most successful company in the whole of South Korea. Kim Heechul had started the business aged nineteen, and it had grown into an international company, regarded across the globe. The CEO was super rich, but intensely private, and people from outside the company were rarely brought in. Kyungsoo grabs his notebook and pen, poised to take down anything he may need to know, primarily as to why such a successful CEO’s secretary is calling his office.

  “It’s nice speaking to you Miss Kim, what is it I can help you with?”

 “As you may have heard, Mr Kim’s wife sadly passed away a number of years ago. His son fears that as his father approaches retirement, he may simply waste away as the business has been his whole life. Naturally, Mr Kim’s son would like to arrange for your company to assist his father in finding a match. We have been assured that you are very efficient and discreet and treat each customer individually.”

Kyungsoo swallows down the lump forming in his throat. “Yes, we aim to help all of our clients find a successful match, regardless of their personal status. It is required that the client will keep an open mind and let us do our job, but we like to greatly involve them in the process of course.”

“Well that sounds excellent Mr Do. Are you free tomorrow?”

Kyungsoo checks his calendar swiftly and confirms that he is.

“Mr Kim would like to arrange a private meeting with you in his office at our main building. He will be available at around 10:30am, and he requests that only you yourself are present and that you treat the matter with the upmost discretion. I am afraid I am unable to give you any more details Mr Do, as Mr Kim is intent on keeping this as a private matter between himself and your company. When you arrive tomorrow, please report to Kim Ryeowook on reception. He will be expecting you and will show you to Mr Kim’s offices. Thank you for your assistance Mr Do, Mr Kim looks forward to your arrival.” With that, the phone line went dead. Kyungsoo drops his pen and massages his hand, helping it relax from the strain of scribbling the information down so quickly.

He leans back in his chair, and takes a deep breath. His eyes flicker to Luhan’s magazine, still crumpled on his desk. The cover is mostly obscured by papers, including the faces of the people in the image, but Kyungsoo can still make out the headline. It is about Mr Kim’s son, Jongin, who is to take over the company in a few months time upon his father’s retirement. Jongin is well known for his partying and late night drinking with his socialite friend, often seen taking different women home each night. Kyungsoo doesn’t care for gossip, so he cannot exactly pinpoint the man’s face, but he assumes by his success he must be someway good looking. Before he can move the papers and read the article, Luhan’s head pops in the doorway.

“What’s happening!?” He hisses, his eyes wide and searching. “The interns are all having a break down, they look like someone’s just told them they’re going to kill their firstborn child! Who was on the phone?”

Kyungsoo rubs a tired hand across his face and glances at the clock. He’s been at work for grand total of twenty eight minutes, and the day is already shaping up to be a tiring one. “You’d best get the whole floor in, it’s pretty big.”

 

***

Kyungsoo’s office is large, but not large enough to fit all of his co-workers and interns in comfortably. Yixing and Junmyeon are squashed into a corner with Baekhyun and Chanyeol who are grumbling at being woken up from their nap. Luhan has annexed the chaise longue again, and is still eating his gummy worms which he retrieved from Kyungsoo’s desk. The interns, including a teary Kim Taehyung (who had answered Kim Hyoyeon’s call) are in a tangled heap on the floor, sitting cross-legged like small children, curiously blinking up at Kyungsoo. Once the last few members of staff have crushed their way in, Kyungsoo sighs for the nth time that day.

“The call was from Kim Heechul’s office.” He begins, as gasps and mutters of ‘Kim Heechul? As in Super Enterprises Kim Heechul?’ erupt all over the room.

“Yes, Kim Heechul of Super Enterprises. His secretary called me, as his son is worried that his father needs to find someone to spend his retirement years with following the death of his wife. We, as a company, have been employed to do the job. I’ve been invited for a consultation tomorrow at his head offices. However, it’s been made clear that this job is supposed to be kept very very private and secret, and is not to be reported. So do not under any circumstances speak to any news reporters about anything, even if it’s an entirely unrelated job, as I don’t want anything coming out. Ok?”

Whispers began again around the office, gradually getting louder and louder and Kyungsoo can feel a headache coming on. “SHUT UP!” He screeches at last. “Do you know what, everyone can have a day off. Give yourselves time to calm the hell down and stop acting like hyperactive banshees.” He rubs the heels of his palms into his eye sockets and looks up to stare at the waiting crowds. “Leave the building in small groups at different times so it doesn’t look suspicious, and avoid any reporters. You know the drill. Now scram.”

Everyone hurries their way out of the office, excited both about getting a day off and about the news of Mr Kim. Kyungsoo decides he’ll leave when most people have gone; he’s already stressed enough as it is from the lack of routine. He glances out of the window and notices a couple of his tea-girls, Kim Taeyeon and Hwang Tiffany, leaving the office arm in arm. A man with a notebook approaches them, but Taeyeon shakes her head firmly, dismissing him with a waved hand and she and Tiffany stalk away.

Kyungsoo relaxes a little. His staff are used to dealing with rich celebrity clients. They know that gossip columns are often waiting outside the building to try and get the latest scoop on celebrity dating. The staff are a close knit family, and even the new interns know that they shouldn’t speak to the press for fear of it bringing the business’ reputation down.

Jeon Jungkook, Park Jimin and Jung Hoseok also wave away a reporter, and Kyungsoo decides to stay inside for just a little longer. He closes his eyes, leans his head back against his chair and breaths deeply. Relax Kyungsoo, relax.

 

***

Kyungsoo had slept soundly in his office until around lunchtime that day, and scurried from the office as soon as he woke up. Now, he sits in his apartment wearing only a loose fitting shirt and a pair of boxers, gnawing his bottom lip anxiously. He flips his phone over a couple of times in his hand, and crosses and uncrosses his legs several times before making one phone call and waiting patiently for the doorbell to ring.

“SOOOOooooOOOOO!” A voice sing-songs through the door a few minutes later. “Open up! We know you’re in there!” A second voice coos, and Kyungsoo wrenches the door open to be greeted by his best friend since the beginning of time Kim Jongdae and his boyfriend Kim Minseok aka Kyungsoo’s second mother.

“Soo baby, I brought you some apple pie ok, you sounded stressed on the phone, sit down, eat!” Minseok commands, bustling over to inspect Kyungsoo worriedly, before going on to ask whether he was eating properly since he looks thin.

Jongdae pushes the door shut behind himself, throws his shoes on the rug and slings his coat over a peg, before he lounges on a stool in Kyungsoo kitchen and bites into an apple he stole from the fruit bowl. “So, Soo, what’s the problemo? Not like you to get worked up about your job and all...”

Kyungsoo frowns at the marble of the table. “It’s Kim Heechul. I have to find a match for Kim Heechul.”

Jongdae drops his apple and it rolls morosely across the floor. Minseok nearly drops his apple pie but regains himself and manages to place it soundly on the table before saying “Super Enterprises Kim Heechul? Like the old guy?”

“Yes, him. He might be old but he’s super super rich and super super influential and this could completely make my business if it goes well or it could completely ruin me if word gets out that something goes wrong oh my gosh I shouldn’t have told you what if—“

“Kyungsoo, calm down!” Jongdae near yells. “Look. We’re not going to tell anyone. How many clients have you told us about before? Lots. So chill.”

“What makes you think something’s going to go wrong. Nothing ever goes wrong with you Soo, you’re like a matchmaking angel. You set up me and Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Taeyeon and Tiffany, and more straight couples than I can count! You’ll be fine.” Minseok adds, leaning over to comb his fingers through his hair, motherly as usual.

“I guess...” Kyungsoo says, “But it’s not just Mr Kim, it seems like it was his son’s idea, so it’s not only going to be Mr Kim tha won't have found a match, I’ll have failed the son’s wishes as well...”

“To be honest, Kim Jongin is pretty hot, like if nothing works with his dad’s match just jump him instead I totally—“

A loud cough from Jongdae coupled with a raised brow halts Minseok, who shrugs sheepishly and waves a dismissive hand.

“Soo, you’ll be fine, the more you sit up stressing the worse you’ll feel tomorrow.”

Kyungsoo releases a shaky breath. “I just don’t know if I can do it...”

 

***

“Dude this stuff is AWESOME!” Oh Sehun shrieks, waving a glass of a neon orange liquid in front of Jongin’s face. Jongin isn’t quite drunk yet, but he would rather be, seeing as Sehun is long gone and there’s no hope for him now. He’s relying on Tao to come back quickly before he has to drag a whining, vomiting Sehun home.

“Sehun-ah... Why did I even come out tonight? I swear my dad’s going to kill me...”

“Live a little Jong! It’s not that bad, we’ve only come out like 3... 4... 6? 6 times this week!”

Jongin slams his palm into his forehead. “I have a job you know. Unlike you. You just have Daddy Oh who pays for you to go out drinking. You even have a bodyguard for Christ’s sake!”

Sehun chuckles as Tao returns with more drinks. Jongin groans, he really is screwed. “My job is socialite or something. And you could have a bodyguard, you just won't accept one because it'll get in the way of your high and mighty complex” Sehun adds, waving his hand airily. “Think about it this way, in a few months you DEFINITELY won’t be able to do crazy stuff like this, ‘cuz you’ll be Mr Kim Jongin of Super Enterprises. So just this once, let go a little. Here.”

Sehun takes a shot from Tao and pushes it into Jongin’s hand. Jongin downs it somewhat willingly, itching to forget where he is,  wincing at the bitter aftertaste, before Sehun is pulling him up and pushing him out into the crowd to dance.

“Go, find someone hot. Enjoy it while you can Kim Jongin.” Are the last words Jongin hears his best friend speak before an attractive brunette in a tight dress is pulling him forward into a mass of writhing bodies.

That matchmaker’s coming tomorrow Jongin, you’d best be here on time. Jongin vaguely remembers his father’s words, but can’t find a will to care as he drinks and dances the night away yet again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'll come back and edit when i've recovered emotionally. Edited. see you next time, sorry this is such a filler/starter chapter...

Tea xxx

 

 

twitter 

curiouscat