...

Not Like the Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had been fighting the stereotypes since he was a puppy. The natural dynamics of the pack had been left in the past for decades now, but the truth was that as an omega he was still expected by society to behave a certain way. Omegas were supposed to be beautiful, complacent, submissive, clean, caring, sensitive. Most of them stayed at home and their whole lives were centered in their alpha. It made Baekhyun sick.

Of course, there were exceptions, and those exceptions were what kept him alive. Some omegas were CEOs of big companies, some were social activist leaders that defended their kind, some were in politics, and there were a handful who had even won Nobel prizes. However, they were one in a million, and a million omegas were a lot of omegas, since they weren’t as common as betas and alphas.

Baekhyun had tried to take his life once, and it had been when he was thirteen years old and he had developed his scent. His father, an alpha and owner of his own company, had done nothing to hide his extreme disappointment. Baekhyun was his only son and heir, but as an omega, the fate of his business would really be in the hands of his mate, whoever that would be. It was to leave the work of his life to a total stranger, and although he had stated he still loved him with all his heart, and that he would always have a job in the company, he could never be Director.

Baekhyun had hated himself. He had hated the fact everyone treated him differently now, the way they were more careful with him, the catcalling wherever he went, the comments of his family about how tiny and cute he was, and how lucky his alpha would be, and the questions about his knowledge in housekeeping or cooking. It was then, after five years of self-hatred and depression, when he was eighteen, that he had promised himself he would be stronger than his instinct, and he would prove to everyone he could be free.

“Ugh, you just say that because you haven’t met your alpha,” his friend Kyungsoo always said. He was also an omega, and probably the embodiment of the perfect omega. Aside from his soft, shiny black hair, big eyes, delicate features and small frame, he was also submissive, loved his alpha more than himself, was great at cooking and followed his orders without question. “You don’t understand, it’s not a feeling you can fight. It’s not like, against your will, you know? You will want to be with your alpha, more than anything.”

And Baekhyun would scoff then. He knew Kyungsoo meant well, and that it wasn’t his fault to be the way he was, which was why they were best friends, but they couldn’t stop themselves from getting in these arguments.

Especially when Kai was being a total jerk. Like the time he had asked Kyungsoo not to talk to him again because he was a bad influence, and although he hadn’t used his alpha authority to force him to obey (Kyungsoo was very proud to say Kai had only used that ability with him two times in four years), his friend hadn’t talked to him for weeks. Baekhyun’s father had had to talk to Kai –because the bastard refused to talk to Baekhyun, he would only speak with the alpha in charge- and everything had been just ridiculous.

 

*

 

It had been three years since he had begun working for his father’s company as the assistant of the marketing manager, when one morning his life started falling apart.

He had arrived to the office at seven fifty as usu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter