Doubts and What ifs

Is This a Dream?-- (EDITING)

Eoreum gateun biga simjange bakhyeonna bwa
I kkeuchi eomneun raining spell
Naege doraoneun jumuni doendamyeon, doraondamyeon
On momi jeojeodo gyeondil su isseul tende

Meoreojineun gureumeul jabajwo
Neoreul magaseon bitmuri meotji anke
Heulleoganeun i siganeul tto jabajwo
I sunganeul meomchwo sarangi meotji anke

 

“Hey Seul!”

 

It was Super Junior’s ‘Raining Spell of Love’ that kept a girl from listening to her friend’s small talk. She felt like she was living in her own world, even if it’s just for a short while. Though, she didn’t expect it to be too short.

 

“Uh yeah?” The girl, Seul, answered.

 

“You were not listening, right?” The girl, who pulled Seul out of her own world, asked. Seul just sheepishly smiled as an answer.

 

“Anyway, we were talking about college.” Her other friend informed her.

 

“Oh.” Seul exclaimed a little. “So what Universities are you going to?” she asked. Talking about Universities, sparked her interest and also made her heart sink.

 

“Joo Rin and I are going to University of California in Berkeley!” A cheerful with a hint of nasally voice piped.

 

“That’s great Min Rin!” Seul hugged her two friends. “What about you Min Sung?” she asked her other friend.

 

“Well, I’m a bit contemplating.” Min Sung played with her hands as she answer. “You see, I got accepted to both University of Cali, here in L.A, and Stanford University. So, I don’t know what to choose.” She was seriously troubled.

 

“Well, whatever University you choose. We’re here for you and besides, you still have a month or two.” Seul encouraged. Joo Rin and Min Rin were nodding to show that they agree to what their friend were telling Min Sung.

 

“Well, I guess you’re right.” Min Sung scratched her nape. “So, what about you?” she asked Seul back.

 

“Uhm.” Now it was Seul’s turn to feel nervous. “Well, you see. I didn’t took any exam here.” She slowly said while avoiding her friend’s eyes.

 

“Go on.” Joo Rin encouraged.

 

“I actually took an exam in some Universities in Korea.” Seul said.

 

Her three friends were excited for her but Seul was not. She don’t want to leave her friends behind. She wants to be with them, always.

 

“Hey, is there something wrong?” Min Rin walked over to her. “You know, you should, sometimes, think of yourself.” She advised.

 

“Yeah.” Joo Rin agreed. “Don’t worry about us. Be selfish for once Seul.”

 

“We’ll be right behind whenever you need us.” Min Sung promised and hugged Seul. Joo Rin and Min Rin looked at each other and joined the hug.

 

“Thank you guys. Thank you.” Seul softly thanked them.

 

The afternoon passed by quickly. Too quickly, much to their delight. They wish that time would stop and let them stay as high school students.

 

“Hi sweetie.” Mrs. Shin greeted her daughter as she saw her enter the house.

 

“Hi mom.” Seull greeted back before going to her room.

 

She lied on her bed and started thinking about what her friends told her. Though, they really persuaded her to go and study in Korea, she couldn’t help herself from doubt. What if I don’t do well there? What if I disappoint them? What if there were many ‘what ifs’ for Seul.

 

“Ugh, I can’t do it.” She groaned unto her pillow. “I still have months. I don’t have to deal with it now.” She convinced and calmed herself. She then drifted to sleep without noticing.

 

***

“Congratulations, graduates!” The principal said as he ended his speech. The students inside the gymnasium cheered and threw their caps in the air.

 

“Finally! Bye High School!” Joo Rin exclaimed as she walked towards Min Rin, Min Sung and Seul. “Hey yah, congrats to us!” she cheered.

 

“Yeah, goodbye.” Seul, sadly, muttered.

 

 “Hey, are you okay?” Min Rin asked. She was actually worried when she saw Seul sigh after receiving her diploma. “Are you still having second thoughts about entering an Uni in Korea?”

 

“Well, kinda.” Seul admitted. “But, I still got months before deciding, so don’t worry.” She said with much confidence.

 

“Okay.” They didn’t push the topic thru and switched it. “So, any plans today?” Joo Rin asked.

 

“Well, I don’t really know the plan but mom said I should go home early.” Seul told her friends. They nodded in understanding.

 

The group was enjoying their time together when a honk from a car was heard. All heads turned to the car and saw that it was Seul’s family car. It arrived earlier than they expected it to be.

 

“Woah, it’s here.” Min Rin commented.

 

“I gotta go guys, see you around.” She bid her goodbye as cheerful as she can at the moment. The girls hugged her, as they know she needed it the most.

 

“Yeah see you.” They waved at her up until Seul entered the car.

 

***

“Hey mom, dad.” Seul greeted her parents as she enter the car. Her parents were talking about something when she entered and abruptly stopped when she greeted them.

 

“Hey sweetie, congratulations!” Her mom cheerfully congratulated her. She leaned over to her daughter to give her a hug.

 

“Yeah, congratulations Darling.” This time, it was her dad who greeted. “I would be hugging you and all but I’m driving.” He said with a fake disappointment in his voice.

 

“Oh dad, you’re a drama king!” Seul father.

 

The whole family laughed as they drove back to their residence. Once in a while, they would grow silent or whenever Seul says something. But nevertheless, the drive back home was happy and comfortable.

 

“Dear, go upstairs and change your clothes, after that we’ll discuss something.” Her mother told her. Seul didn’t hesitate to follow her mother and went to do what she was told.

 

***

Seul’s POV:

 

“Okay.” Mom started. “We’re going to New York for a while, just to meet some friends.” She finished off.

 

New York? Did she really say that we’re going to New York? Oh My Gosh! Yes! I am so excited to go. I am too excited that the sadness in my heart was forgotten. New York means I’ll be with my car. Yes!

 

“Really? When are we going?” I asked, clearly, I was over excited.

 

Mom just laughed at my reaction, “We’ll be going this evening, last flight.” She answered my question. “So, pack your things up. Oh and dad won’t come.” She informed me.

 

I looked at my dad for some answer. “You know I can’t just leave our house and business here.” He told me. I nodded and sighed.

 

It’s kinda sad that dad isn’t coming with us but that couldn’t be helped. I just got to enjoy this short trip for him, so better pack!

 

***

Author’s POV:

 

“Bye dad, we’ll be seeing you in a few days.” Seul hugged her dad as she bid her farewell. She reminded him of a lot of thiings but basically, it was just to be careful.

 

They were already in the LAX and was just waiting to board their plane. As they wait, they bid their farewell to Mr. Shin and told him a lot of things like taking care of himself while they were away. They knew him enough to scold him in advance for working late at night.

 

“Yes dear, I will.” Her dad nodded. “You know, you’re like your mom or even worst.” He teased his daughter as he hugged her back.

 

“Dad, you will not be seeing me for days and you’re like that.” She feigned an upset tone to her father. He chuckled at his daughter and kissed her hair.

 

“Go now, the plane will not wait for you two.” He joked. The two women of his life laughed and bid their final farewell.

 

“Let’s go sweetie.” Mrs. Shin told her as she carried her shoulder bag and led the way. Seul nodded and followed.

 

‘I‘ll clear my mind while I’m there.’ She thoughtfully said to herself while looking at her plane ticket.

 


Jan. 15, 2015

Sorry it took long for me to post this. Forgive me?