59.

Three Halves to Make Me Whole

((Hello all~ I think I forgot to mention smething about the fan event chapters, they don't take place during the current time line :0 In the XiuTao I guess I didn't make it clear enough that the XiuTao takes place about a year ahead of the current time line! Just like the SuChen that will be up in a couple of days takes place a few years ahead ^^ ))


Yifan nodded mechanically as the client sitting across from him gave her explanation of what was going on at her branch of the company, mind stuck on the fact that Yixing was there. He had come to China, he was a ten minute walk away, no longer a two hour plane ride and twenty minutes in a cab down a busy street.

“And then we’ll spend Thursdays in cow onesies as we recite the alphabet backwards.”

“That should help with production,” Yifan mumbled, snapping out of his thoughts when the client started laughing, his eyes darting up from his notepad to her. “M-Ms. Chang?” he stammered and she shook her head.

“Have you heard a word of what I’ve been saying, Mr. Wu?” She asked and he opened his mouth, voice catching when she raised her hand. “Be honest,” she added and he slumped back in his chair, sighing and shaking his head, rubbing his face with one hand.

“No, not really. I offer my sincerest apology, it’s just…”

“Something else has come up since we scheduled this meeting to go over my firm,” she finished and he nodded, starting to apologize again when she closed her folder, standing. “Sir, with all do respect, is this where you should be right now?” Yifan stared at her for a moment, looking down when she raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t think so,” she added, turning and starting for the door. She looked back over her shoulder, offering a smile. “Go do what you need to, I’ll make sure Ms. Punctuality cancels the rest of your meetings for the evening. Just let me know if you need tomorrow off as well.”

“I don’t think that’s necess-”

“You never know. Everyone needs a day off once in  awhile,” she interrupted in a sing-song tone, closing the door behind herself before Yifan had the chance to try to argue again.

 

A day off, Yifan thought as he stared at the door to his apartment. A day in the office would be closer to a day off than this conversation is going to be. Taking a slow deep breath his fingers curled around the door handle and he exhaled before turning it and opening the door. He had done his best to prepare himself to find Yixing sitting on his make-shift bed, patiently waiting for him to return; what he hadn’t expected was to find the blond curled up on his futon, hugging one of his shirts as he slept. It made the older relax a little, and he slid out of his shoes before padding his way over to the sleeping figure, feeling his chest tighten. He reached over to the back of the futon, pulling the blanket off of the back and draping it over Yixing, getting halfway through thinking he was off the hook for now when something caught his shirt as he turned away.

“You said we would talk.” Yifan’s throat tightened at the sleepy sound of Yixing’s voice, memories of waking up missing that sound every morning bubbling up. “You promised,” Yixing added, pulling a small sigh from Yifan, who let himself be pulled back to sit on the futon as the younger sat up beside him. A dull silence settled between the two, Yixing eventually leaning forward to look up at Yifan’s face, the older flinching a little when Yixing’s fingers brushed against his cheek.

“You look…”

“Like ?” Yifan asked with a joyless laugh, Yixing frowning as he set his hand on Yifan’s knee.

“I was going to say worn down… You looked about as bad as I felt when I went into your office earlier.”

“Being in charge of a large company is tiring.”

“Don’t lie to me and act like that’s all that there is to it.” Yifan cringed a little at the tone in the younger’s voice, closing his eyes and leaning forward, resting his face in his hands. “This separation this isn’t working for either of us, I don’t know why you thought it would.”

“I knew I wouldn’t be able to be there for you or ZiTao… it seemed like everything would have been better to just… end it before we started to resent each other for how little we saw one another. But it hurt,” Yifan barely got the word out before his throat tightened and he felt like he was going to choke on his own tongue.

“Do you still love me?” Yifan pulled his face back from his hands, looking over at the blond, who’s eyes were searching his own that showed just how shocked he was by how bluntly the other had asked. Yifan noticed then that Yixing had pulled his hand back from his knee, and it made his heart sink a little.

“Of course I do,” Yifan said, tensing when Yixing moved closer, their noses almost knocking together.

“No, are you as in love with me as I am with you?” the younger demanded. “I need to know that you love me like I love you if I’m going to let myself keep loving you.” Yifan’s hand rose, brushing over Yixing’s cheek before he cupped it, leaning forward to rest his forehead against the other’s.

“I knew I was in love with you from the first moment I saw you play the piano,” he replied, watching tears lace the younger’s eyes before he closed them and placed a hand over the back of Yifan’s. “The more I listened to you play or saw you in class the stronger my love for you grew, and when I would think there was no way for me to love you more, your hand would find mine or would take a hold of my shirt while you slept, proving me wrong time and time again.” Yixing nodded once, opening his eyes and pulling his head back enough to look at the other without going cross eyed.

“Then we need to figure something out, because I think we both know that being separated isn't working,” Yixing stated and Yifan offered a small nod. The younger taking that as a sign that he could snuggle up to him, pleasantly surprised when Yifan wrapped his arms around him and laid back, pulling Yixing on top of his chest. Yixing shifted a little until his head was settled on Yifan’s chest close enough for him to still hear the older’s heart beat while he held the fabric of his shirt over his heart.

“I could move here, to China,” Yixing offered after a few moments, Yifan’s hold on him tightening.

“No, you have a life in Korea. I could never ask you to leave Junmyeon either, I know how important he is to you.”

“You're important to me too.”

“You shouldn't have to choose between being near one soul mate or the other,” Yifan said, Yixing huffing a little, causing the corner of the older’s lips to quirk up in the start of a smile. “Not to mention you still have a year of school left…” Yifan’s smile drooped and he looked down at the blond when he turned his face away as if he knew what the older was about to ask. “Speaking of school, didn’t that start a couple of months ago?” he asked, Yixing hesitant to nod. “Why did you-”

“Junmyeon told me I needed to!” Yifan stared down at the back of the other’s head for a long moment before Yixing continued. “I… I told him I didn’t know what to do anymore, and he told me that I was g-going to come here and bring you home. I told him I had classes… since you always told me it was important to go to my classes even if it meant we would only see each other for a little while before you would have to go on your next business trip… And he told me he didn’t care, and he would drag me on the plane if he had to.” Yifan turned his gaze up to the ceiling, trying to picture the scene that the blond described.

“Junmyeon, of all people, told you to skip class and come to China?” he summarized, Yixing nodding before Yifan let out a small laugh. “He spent so much of our relationship trying to keep us apart because of rumors… Now that I give him an actual reason to want to keep you from me, he does everything he can to send you to me.” Yifan shook his head, managing to pull Yixing closer, the younger settling one leg on either side of his waist so he was completely laying on Yifan’s chest. “You have the strangest platonic soulmate I’ve ever known,” he added, Yixing turning his head up to rest it in the crook of Yifan’s neck.

“He knew… I think he knew before I did that we were soulmates… He didn’t want me to be in pain, and he knew that he was only able to make so much of my hurting go away… I think that’s why he wouldn’t let me argue and try to get out of coming here because of something like school.”

“Did you not want to come?” Yifan asked, Yixing’s hold on his shirt tightening.

“I didn’t think you wanted me… I was scared to come here and that thought become a reality… Especially after you told me that if I called you again you would change your mobile number.” Yifan winced a little at the memory, sighing softly.

“I’m sorry about saying that, I… It hurt to hear you talking as if I was just on a business trip, and I didn’t know how to make you see that I was staying in China, and I wasn’t going to be coming back.”

“Not even to visit ZiTao?”

“We’re not talking about him,” Yifan sighed, feeling Yixing frown.

“But he-”

“Yixing, please don’t. You’re not here to fix what happened between ZiTao and I, that’s something I’m going to have to do myself one day.” Yixing nodded dejectedly, going lax in Yifan’s arms, the older feeling his heart sink a little. “I’m sorry if that sounded harsh, it’s just… he’s probably still mad at me. With good reason, of course… At least with you I had the courtesy to tell you to your face that I wasn’t going back… I couldn’t do that to ZiTao, I couldn’t even tell him myself, I had to ask Victoria to do it for me… Then I changed my mobile number because he started calling me more than you did,” Yifan explained, looking down when Yixing looked up at him. “On top of that, he’s in Korea and you’re here, so we’re going to fix us now and I’ll fix him and me later. Okay?”

“Okay,” the blond replied with a nod, relaxing this time as he nuzzled his face into the older’s neck. “You sure I can’t move to China with you?” Yixing tried again, pulling a laugh from Yifan.

“No. At least, not until you graduate at the end of the year. Then we can re-assess what country we live in.” Yixing sat up, frowning a little as his eyebrows knit together.

“We?” he echoed, Yifan’s hands coming down to rest on his hips.

“Yeah, we.”

“I… I don’t think I understand. Are you saying you’re coming back to Korea?” Yixing asked, shoulders sagging a little when Yifan shook his head.

“I can’t run the company from Korea. If I could, I would be doing that already,” he replied, Yixing hanging his head until Yifan cupped his cheek and tilted his head up a little. “But we could… try a long distance relationship,” he suggested, Yixing’s eyes widening.

“B-but you said you didn’t want to do one of those,” he pointed out, Yifan nodding with a small sigh.

“Yeah, I know I did… But like you said, this whole being separated thing isn’t working for either of us.” Yixing nodded, laying back down on the older’s chest, relaxing as Yifan’s arms wrapped around his waist. “How… how should we do this?”

“I could visit you on the days that I don’t have class or work,” Yixing suggested after a few moments, Yifan bringing up one hand to the back of his head, carding his fingers through the blond’s hair.

“As much as I would love to see you that often, that’s going to cost you a fortune,” Yifan pointed out, feeling the way Yixing fidgeted in his hold. “But during school breaks would be nice. We could actually talk on the phone,” Yifan started, Yixing gripping his shirt tighter, causing Yifan to move one hand over the other’s. “I’ll actually answer this time.”

“Do you promise?” Yifan’s heart ached a little and he wrapped his arms around Yixing again, holding him as tightly as he could.

“I promise. I want this to work… I want it to so badly, I’m going to do everything that I can to make sure that it does,” Yifan said, only easing his grip when the younger shifted a little so he could look at the older’s face. “I’ve missed you, and I’m sorry that I was stupid. If I had just told you what was going on, most of this pain could have been avoided… I’m not leaving you again.”

“Cane you make sure this gets to ZiTao?” Yixing gave the box a curious look before a smile crossed his lips and he nodded, taking it and fitting it into his shoulder bag before slipping on his shoes and standing. 

“You don’t have to take me to the airport,” Yixing said as he picked up his bag, watching Yifan open the door for him.

“I would feel better giving you a proper send off this time,” the older admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. Yixing’s arms wrapping around one of his own eased the start of a knot in his stomach, and he led the way down to the parking lot under the apartment complex.

“What are you doing here?” The smile that met Yixing’s eyes drooped with his shoulders at the sharp tone the younger had and he did his best to perk up, but it was apparent that his smile was forced now. He pulled the box from behind his back, watching ZiTao’s eyes flicker down to it before back to Yixing’s face as his face scrunched up a little. Yixing gave the ox a small shake, ZiTao huffing before he took the box, tugging the ribbon wrapped around it off and dropping it unceremoniously onto the ground. He pulled the lid off, his scowl falling almost instantly, as he box lowered a little so Yixing could actually see what was inside.

Among several different kinds of peach flavored candies and what looked like a couple of earrings, but what ZiTao seemed fixated on was the slips of paper sitting on the top; a pair of plane tickets scheduled for May 1st to May 3rd, and a card with Yifan’s address as well as his new mobile number. The box fell from ZiTao’s hands, the card in his hand shaking to the point that Yixing could barely make out the message at the bottom.

It would mean a lot to be able to see you on your birthday. Call me anytime, I promise I’ll answer.

ZiTao’s free hand came up to cover his mouth, tears spilling over his eye lids, and Yixing stepped forward, pulling the younger into a hug as a small whimper escaped him.