95.

Three Halves to Make Me Whole


“Jeon Yuri… Kim DaHyun and… Son ChaeYoung.” A grin was splayed across Chanyeol’s lips as he eagerly nodded. 

“They all were described as being pretty energetic, and we think that one of them will fit in with our home,” he explained, his hold on Baekhyun’s hand tightening. “Right Baek?” he asked, looking over to the older who nodded.

“Our friends call Chanyeol a beagle because of how energetic and easily excitable he is,” the brunet stated, Chayeol sticking his tongue out at him in a childish manner.

“They say that about you too,” he replied, and Baekhyun turned a small smile to him before their eyes were back on the adoption associate, whom was standing from her seat, gesturing towards the office door.

“Would you like to go meet the girls?” she asked, Chanyeol perking up even more while Baekhyun hesitated.

“We can meet them now?” The dark haired male asked, the backs of his knees knocking against his chair, almost causing it to topple over in his excitement, and the associate giggled, opening the door for the pair.

“Actually, you’ll be able to meet most of the children here who are available for adoption. They spend most of their days in the rec room, so you may even get a sense of how they play with one another,” she replied, following Chanyeol and Baekhyun out of the room, locking the door behind herself. “This way,” she guided, taking the pair down the hall in the direction that Baekhyun remembered her leading the strange little boy who had wandered up to him the last time that they were there.

She stopped outside a door that they could hear laughter and squeals from halfway down the hall, smiling back at the two for a moment, then turning her attention to the door once again she opened the door slowly. Chanyeol was the first inside the room, Baekhyun taking a little bit of verbal encouragement from the associate, and he looked around the room, coming to a sharp halt when a little boy ran past him yelling back to the other boy running after him. He looked up at Chanyeol, who seemed to have set his sights on a pair of girls that Baekhyun vaguly recognized from the varity of pictures that the younger had been showing him over the last several days. The associate pointed part them at the girls that Chanyeol was staring at.

“Chaeyoung and DaHyun,” Chanyeol got out before the associate could, Baekhyun feeling a small throb in his chest at the twinkle in the taller’s eyes, and he looked back to the pair of girls, the one with longer hair flapping her arms up and down as she swung her head up and down, the shorter haired girl breaking out into a fit of laughter at the sight. Baekhyun leaned against Chanyeol’s side, starting to relax when the associate’s voice rang out loudly behind them.

“Jeon Yuri! Get off the table! And how many times do I have to tell you that you need to get dressed before you come down to play?” Baekhyun glanced back at the associate, following her gaze to the dark brown haired girl whom was dancing on top of one of those foldable tables in a light blue night gown. She stopped moving, a pout splaying across her lips as she crossed her arms over her chest, the associate quickly stepping over to her, picking her up and placing her safely on the ground. “Is that really the face you should put on when these nice men are here to meet you?” She asked, the upset look fading quickly from Yuri’s face.

“They came to meet me?” Yuri asked, looking to Chanyeol and Baekhyun, the older offering a small wave while Chanyeol took a couple of steps closer to her, kneeling down a few feet back.

“Yes we did,” he replied. “My name is Chanyeol,” he added, a grin spreading out over the dark brown haired girl’s lips.

“My name is-”

“Yuri, who’s that?” The short haired girl that had been all but falling over from laughter called, pulling the girl she had been laughing at over to the growing group by her hand. “Do we have a new teacher or something Ms. Seohyun?”

“Go away Chaeyoung, he came to see me,” Yuri stated, moving closer to wrap her arms around Chanyeol’s neck, causing him to chuckle. She held her hand out, palm facing the two girls. “You too, DaHyun, he’s mine.”

“Actually we came to meet all three of you,” Chanyeol stated, the statement seeming to shock Yuri and amuse Chaeyoung, who started to laugh again.

“Nice going, Yuri,” she grinned, Yuri shooting a pout in her direction, while DaHyun reached out, taking a hold of Chanyeol’s hand, tugging on it.

“Come play with us~ Chaeyoung was seeing how long she could rap while I danced like an eagle~” she giggled, Chanyeol standing before he was dragged along, wrapping an arm around Yuri’s waist as she refused to release her hold around his neck. Baekhyun took a step to follow after the group, stopping when his eyes crossed over a slightly familiar boy whose face was now littered with- Band-Aids? As if the little boy could sense Baekhyun’s attention he looked over, face lighting up as his eyes met Baekhyun’s and he ran over, holding a book close to his chest.

“You came back! Are you taking someone home?” he asked, Baekhyun kneeling down to be eye-level with him.

“We might,” he replied, the little boy looking over in the direction of Chanyeol’s loud laughter, finding the dark haired male currently being sat on by all three of the girls, while one yelled something Baekhyun couldn’t make out, and Baekhyun shook his head, letting out a small laugh of his own.

“Chaeyoung and DaHyun won’t want to leave without the other,” the little boy stated, Baekhyun looking back to him. “And Yuri always talks about how she dreams to be an only child,” he explained, Baekhyun feeling an odd twinge in his heart at the fact that the little boy, whom was in the same situation as all of the others in the room, was offering information about the three. Baekhyun’s eyes shifted to the book that he was holding, pointing to it.

“What’cha got there?” he asked, the little boy’s eyes back on his face before down at the book that he then held out to Baekhyun.

“I’ve been trying to learn to read books with big words in it,” he said, his eyes lighting up again, and he opened the book to some page that had the corner folded down, staring at the pages. “But this one is hard, I try to sound out the words but they don’t sound like the right words, and the other kids repeat what I say even if it’s not what the words are,” he continued, looking back up at Baekhyun. “Why are you frowning?” Baekhyun blinked, his lips pulling up into a smile.

“I could help you with the words you’re having trouble with if you would like me to,” he offered, the little boy giving him a big grin in response, his nose scrunching a little, and he reached up to rub at one of the band-aids. 

“You’ll help me?” he asked and Baekhyun nodded, standing as the little boy took ahold of the sleeve of his shirt, tugging on it to get the brunet to follow him over to the beanbag chairs in the corner by the book cases.

“Can you tell me why you have band-aids on your face?” Baekhyun asked as he settled on one of the chairs, the little boy pointing to the older’s face in response.

“Your face is broken and you have band-aids on it, and my face is broken so I put band-aids on mine,” he stated, Baekhyun taking the open book offered to him, closing it and staring into the little boy’s eyes.

“Are the other kids still saying mean things like that to you?” he asked, the little boy pulling his lower lip between his teeth as he fidgeted a little. “Have you told an adult here?” The little boy shrugged a little.

“I told the lady who comes in and reads stories to us… she said the other kids are just jealous…” he admitted softly, Baekhyun shaking his head a little, reaching out and picking up him, setting him down on his lap before he opened the book back up.

“Okay, read to me, and when you have trouble with a word I’ll help you, okay?” Baekhyun offered, the little boy looking up at him, the start of a grin on his lips and he nodded, his attention shifting to the book now on his lap.

“S… y-” Baekhyun had to bite back a small giggle, watching the child’s finger run over the page below the black ink litters, pausing as he tried to figure out another word.

“Saxophone,” Baekhyun corrected softly, the little boy looking up at him as he had with each word he struggled with, watching Baekhyun’s face as he repeated the corrected word, saying it himself and waiting for a nod of encouragement from the brunet before he would turn back to the book and start the sentence over once again, with the correct word. Baekhyun almost jumped out of his skin when there was a hand on his shoulder and he looked over, relaxing as he saw Chanyeol squat down beside the two of them. He looked from the Baekhyun to the child and back again, a smile playing across his lips.

“You now, I wouldn’t mind adopting a little boy,” he said, Baekhyun’s eyes lighting up as they widened.

“You… You wouldn’t?” he asked, the child on the brunet’s lap looking up at Chanyeol, then to Baekhyun’s. “I though… You always talked about wanting a little girl though,” he said, watching Chanyeol smile at the little boy, reaching out to pinch one of his bandaged cheeks, making him giggle.

“I always pictured us with a little girl, but I was watching the two of you for a little while… you with him in your lap, reading together, the look on your face- that’s what I dreamed about, Baek,” Chanyeol said, eyes flickering up to meet Baekhyun’s. “What do you think?” He asked, though his attention was on the little boy’s face now. “Would you like to come home with us in a couple of days?”

“You want to be my parents?” the little boy asked, Chanyeol nodded.

“Yes we do. But first, my name’s Chanyeol, and this is Baekhyun. What’s your name?” he asked, the little boy looking to Baekhyun before a big grin broke out across his lips and he looked back to Chanyeol.

“My name’s Taehyung.”

 


((Hee, some were able to guess who the little boy was, and that makes me so happy :3 and curious if anyone can guess what other idols are going to be children that the couples would adopt ))