Hmm...

I Like You Best

 

IU’s P.O.V

I placed my textbook down and saw Jiyoung checking her phone. This period was dragging on and on.

“I wish it was lunch already,” whined Jiyoung.

“Yeah. It feels like we’ve been sitting here for five hours,” I sighed. It was a free period for study but somehow, nothing in my books was sinking in, which was bad, especially with exams coming up tomorrow. Time seemed to drag on and on and on.

As if answering our complaints, the bell rang and we quickly packed up our books and started to head out of the library for lunch. As we walked further and further away from the library, I realised that my backpack felt unusually light.

“Jiyoung ah! Could we stop for a bit? I need to check something.”

I ped my bag and saw that two of my notebooks were missing.

“Umm… Jiyoung? Could you wait here for me? I kind of uhh… forgot my books in the library.”

“I’M NOT WAITING HERE BY MYSELF! There's going to be a stampede of people rushing to lunch!”

“Fine.”

I faced palmed myself as I quickly ran back to the library to get my notebooks with Jiyoung trailing behind.

Aish! Lee Jieun! How could you forget it in the library?! Your exam is tomorrow! I quickly stopped to catch my breath, allowing Jiyoung to catch up.

“Unni! Please run slower next time,” she gasped.

I laughed and linked arms with her. We started walking towards the building that led to the library. Then, I saw him walking towards us. In the crowd of students, he was the only person who stood out. I giggled and Jiyoung turned to where I was looking. I looked at her and she had a mischievous glint in her eyes. I don’t like the look of this…

As Dongwoon walked closer, I had to contain my excitement – His smile made him look so cute! Breathe IU, Breathe. Then when he was right next to me – BAM! Jiyoung let go of my arm and pushed me right into him. His shoulder collided with mine and I just continued to walk, avoiding looking at him due to the embarrassment. I felt my face burn.

“YAH! JIYOUNG-AH! WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!”

Jiyoung just laughed.

I started attacking her, while looking back at him. All I saw was the back of his head bobbing up and down in the crowd.

“SORRY! MY BAD!” he suddenly yelled.

I stopped attacking Jiyoung and gasped. H-he apologised. HE FREAKING APOLOGISED TO ME WHEN IT WASN’T HIS FAULT!

I screamed and hugged Jiyoung.

“JIYOUNG AAAH! SARANGHAE!”

“What’s wrong with you IU?! You were ready to kill me like two seconds ago.”

I smiled.

“Two seconds ago. Before he apologised,” I giggled.

Jiyoung rolled her eyes.

“Hurry up and go get your books from the library before we miss out on lunch all together. I’ll just wait for you here so I won’t have to continue watching you in your own little world, but hurry up yeah?”

“Mhmm!”

I basically skipped to the library. His voice was so soothing. I giggled, went to grab my note books and quickly rushed back to Jiyoung, not wanting to keep her from waiting.

As soon as I walked out of the doors, I heard a familiar voice.

“IU!”

I turned around and saw a guy with a bowl cut walking towards me. My jaw dropped. It was my friend Yang Yoseob from middle school.

“YOSEOB OPPA! I haven’t seen you in a while! AHH! You look so cute with your hair cut! I didn’t recognise you until you called me!”

“Everyone says I look like a kid,” he laughed. “I haven’t seen YOU in a while too! Ahh… we’re all so busy these days with exams that we haven’t even been able to catch up with each other,” he pouted then put his arm around my shoulders. “So how is my little Jieun these days?”

“I’m kind of stressed out since the exams are tomorrow. But otherwise, I’m good!”

Yoseob patted my head.

“Don’t worry about the exams too much! I know you’ll ace them, with those brains of yours!”

I laughed.

As we continued talking, we walked around a corner, where I saw Jiyoung impatiently waiting for me. Dongwoon was close by to where she was waiting but he didn’t seem to notice her. He was laughing with his group of friends. Then, it hit me. Yoseob was one of the guys in his group. Yoseob was the guy who Dongwoon was talking to the other day. THAT’S why he looked so familiar.

“Oppa?”

“Hmm?”

“You know that guy there don’t you?” I pointed to Dongwoon.

“Yeah. That’s Son Dongwoon, one of my friends. Why?”

Jiyoung walked towards us and shot me a look. I smiled apologetically at her. I should really have been back with her like 10 minutes ago. I shrugged off his arm and walked over to Jiyoung and linked arms with her.

“AHH! Yoseob Oppa! Sorry! I have to go now!”

I quickly rushed off before Yoseob could ask me any more questions. I glanced back at him and he had the most confused look on his face. He then waved and started walking towards the group.

As we walked into the next hallway, we suddenly stopped andI felt a hard poke on my left arm. I turned to Jiyoung and she wasn’t looking very happy.

“YAH! What took you so long?” whined Jiyoung. “You took nearly 15 minutes just to go to the library to get your books and I spent those 15 minutes standing by myself holding a chunk of stuff, looking like some strange loner. Who was that guy anyway?”

“Sorry. It’s just that I haven’t seen my friend for a while. That guy is Yang Yoseob from my middle school. And! He happens to know Dongwoon.”

The annoyance slid of Jiyoung’s face.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!”

I nodded.

“HE CAN TOTALLY INTRODUCE YOU GUYS!”

“Won’t that kind of be awkward?”

“What so you’ll go talk to him yourself? And…confess your undying love to him?

“NO! It’ll be weird… some girl walking up to him and saying ‘Hi! I’m Lee Jieun, but you can call me IU. I have a crush on you!’ No. Absolutely not.”

“Then get your friend Yoseob to introduce you guys. Simple.”

“I don’t know… It would be weird for Yoseob too. I mean, it’s only the first time I’ve spoken to him this semester. Won’t it be weird bombarding him with this? I can’t just tell him ‘Oh! Yoseob Oppa! You know your friend Son Dongwoon? I like him. Can you introduce us?’ the next time we meet.”

“You’re making this hard for yourself Unni. Just don’t over think this ok?”

I sighed.

“Jiyoung! Please stop trying to talk me into this now! Our exams are tomorrow and that’s our main priority at the moment!”

“You’re changing the subject now! Why won’t you make a move already? ” cried Jiyoung.

“Aren’t you hungry? You were complaining about how long I took…?”

“Fine.” Replied Jiyoung, with a defeated look on her face.