022

Rogue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
22

  

“Minseok’s not in today, darling.  How can I help?”

Miran wanted to slap the supercilious smile off Junmyeon’s face.  It was the second time this had happened when she wanted to question a member of his team, and it was the second time Junmyeon had given her such a sleazy, delighted reaction when she came knocking.

“You can’t,” she said shortly, making a mental note never to plan to take somebody in for questioning the day after discovering they’d done something shifty ever again.  “Not unless you’re going to make yourself scarce.”

“No can do, babydoll.  Sorry.”

Miran’s finger twitched at the gun on her hip, but no matter how aggravating Junmyeon was, she couldn’t shoot him.  Not during office hours or with witnesses around, at any rate.  She backed out of Junmyeon’s office before letting a scowl cross her face and stomping off.  No doubt Minseok would show up in his own time, dangling handcuffs from one wrist and offering to cooperate like Jongin had done.

She was still so absorbed in fuming to herself that she almost walked straight into Kyungsoo, who was walking briskly in the opposite direction with several files tucked under his arm.  He steadied her automatically, but stopped and tucked the files more securely under his arm when he realised who it was.

“Are you all right?” he asked, giving her a once-over.  “You look a little stressed.”

Miran very nearly snapped at him, but the look of concern on his face was enough to give her pause for the necessary seconds it took to force herself to take a deep breath and try to calm down.

She deflated.  “Something fishy is going on in Kim Junmyeon’s team and I don’t know what to do,” she said plaintively.

Kyungsoo pursed his lips together and glanced at his watch.  “I have time.  Shall we go somewhere more private?”

Time alone with Kyungsoo was not to be sniffed at, however stressed she was, so Miran agreed and trailed after him.   They took a detour to forensics, where he dropped one file off (Jongdae gave her a cheery wave) and then went up three floors to Chaerin’s office with the other two.  Just from that, Miran suspected that they had something to do with Hyeri, but she didn’t ask.  It had knocked Kyungsoo nastily to discover that Hyeri was unhinged, and it probably hurt enough that he was constantly reminded of it because he had taken over most of her workload without people asking about her.  That done, they headed back down to the cafeteria floor.

That meant Kyungsoo was heading for the coffee machines, which to Miran’s disappointment meant that they would be staying in the building.  That meant that Kyungsoo was actually pretty busy, which made Miran feel guilty because she was distracting him from work he needed to do.

But it was touching that her boss felt it necessary to set aside time in that kind of manner.  Very touching.  And even more touching that he appeared to know her well enough to get her a latte without asking.  Styrofoam cups in hand, he opened the cafeteria doors, checked that the place was empty, and then tilted his head, gesturing that it was all clear for entry.

“So.  What’s on your mind?”

Miran hunched over the table a little, warming her fingers against the coffee mug.

“It feels like trying to catch an eel,” Miran muttered.  “I don’t know if I’m barking up the wrong tree or something, but I just keep crossing paths with people from Junmyeon’s squad in manners that seem to link them to the case, but I can’t pin anything on anyone.  At least with Key it was done and dusted once we’d discussed the tapes, but…”

Kyungsoo shrugged out of his suit jacket and hung it on the back of the chair, which did very little to help Miran’s train of thought when she caught sight of his biceps flexing through the thin white cotton of his shirt.  After a moment or two, she realised she was staring and dropped her gaze to the table.

“There’s a lot that rubs me up the wrong way about Junmyeon,” she said.  Kyungsoo let out a soft snort that seemed to say tell me about it.  “But at the moment it’s Kim Jongin and Kim Minseok that are kind of getting to me.  Kim Jongin’s fingerprints were on the memory sticks and he was there when I got knocked over and dropped them, though there’s a high chance they could have been swapped earlier.  Kim Minseok… it’s hard to say, really, but I just have a feeling… I mean, he’s supposedly the agency’s prodigy with software.”

“He restored the system after the virus,” Kyungsoo confirmed.

“And the whole thing with the videos and Woohyun and Key.”  Miran cleared .  “He deliberately obfuscated some of them.”

“Do you know why?”

“No.  We need him to restore them.”  Morose, she turned her coffee cup around in her hands.  She could almost hear the seconds ticking by on her watch as Kyungsoo regarded her.

“I’ve changed my mind,” he announced with a sigh, making her look up.  “I got requested to loan you out on a field mission next week, and I initially declined because I wasn’t sure you’d feel ready and you have a lot of work on your plate, but I think a change of scene will do you the power of good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter