39. Reconciliation

Blood Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Get2herheart made me a trailer :)  Thanks, darling!

It was about four in the morning when Minseok was shaken awake on the sofa.

“You used to be such a light sleeper,” Luhan commented as Minseok groggily sat up, blinking in the unexpected light from the lamp nearby.  “What happened?”

“Today or to my ability to wake up?” Minseok asked him around a yawn.

“Your ability to wake up,” said Luhan.  “I already know about the family fight because your son barged into my room to camp out there.  I figured it was best to let him because he mentioned he’d run away if it wasn’t raining and I didn’t want to be responsible for that, especially if tensions in the family were already running high.  He’s got such a case of eldest sibling syndrome it’s unreal.  I’d find it funny except I did the exact same thing when Weiyi was born and my parents weren’t prepared to put up with me being such a brat.  But no, the reason I’m waking you up is because I went into the kitchen for a midnight snack and your wife is sitting in there looking like a ghost brewing herself multiple cups of coffee and I’m pretty sure that’s not a healthy thing for a pregnant woman to be doing.”

Alarmed, Minseok sat up.  “How long as she been there?”

Luhan shrugged.  “Dunno, but she’s still wearing the clothes she was in yesterday, so—”

“Thanks,” Minseok told him before bolting from the room.

There was only a tiny bit of light in the kitchen because the curtains weren’t drawn, which meant it was easy to see the little glow coming from the tab on the kettle showing that it was on.  Minseok flicked the light switch and was confronted by a scene he hadn’t seen since Semi was in witness protection.  Mugs of coffee were strewn around the table and Semi was morosely contemplating a gigantic packet of peanuts as she cradled what looked to be about her ninth dose of caffeine.  The kettle clicked on the side as it came to the boil and steam began to gush out of it.

Semi looked up at him, her eyes lifeless.  “Oh.  He went to get you.”

Minseok came over to the table and began clearing the dirty mugs away.  Seeing a new one on the side with ground coffee beans already in it that Semi was clearly about to use next, he filled it up and brought it over to the table for himself along with a full glass of water.  He sat down beside Semi, putting an arm around her.  She stiffened at first, but then relaxed and laid her head on his shoulder.

“Couldn’t sleep or didn’t want to?” he asked her gently as Luhan reappeared in the kitchen to forage.

“Both,” Semi mumbled, still eyeing the peanuts.  Minseok moved them out of her line of sight.

“I’m sorry,” she added after a moment.  Minseok squeezed her shoulders.

“Don’t worry about it.  I know you didn’t mean it.”

Semi sighed gloomily and pushed her coffee mug away.  Minseok took it and placed it out of reach, but gulped down some of his own.

“I know you’re just going to put it down to pregnancy hormones, but I should still be in better control,” she murmured.

The fridge door shut and Luhan slid quietly towards the room’s exit.  He waved cheerily before vanishing.

“You had a stressful day.  I had a stressful day.”  Minseok shrugged.  “It happens.”

After a moment of silence, Semi reached for the water with a mumble of “my head hurts.”

Minseok brought up the hand of the arm that was around Semi to cradle her head gentle on his shoulder.  As Semi sipped at the water, he played absently with her hair, tracing patterns behind her ear with his thumb.

“Why’s Jae being so stroppy?” he asked when Semi had finished the glass.  “Luhan seems to think it’s a case of eldest child syndrome.”

Semi sighed.  “He’s still pestering about wanting to dance.”  She set the glass down on the table.  “I’m all for him doing it – I think it’s wonderful he’s not going to let any prejudices his classmates might have to get in the way of it – but we’ve got to be practical, too.  The nearest place is at least halfway across town, if you don’t include the shady chain that—”

“Yixing issued a warrant on them for a reason; there’s no way Jaehwan’s going there.  The lawsuit hasn’t even finished yet.”

“Well, exactly.”  Semi slid out of her seat and into Minseok’s lap, landing heavily enough to force a grunt out of him.  “The main concerns are money and time.  We have two children, soon to be three – you’re very busy and I’m basically limited in a lot of what I can do by Jaera and this little chap.”  She patted her belly.  “Not to mention, I’m already getting tired, and assuming that my experience with Jaera and Jaehwan will be repeated, I’m going to have the stuffing absolutely knocked out of me when he’s born, and until the point where he no longer wakes me up at all hours during the night.  If I’m not working on top of that, there might more or less be the time to squeeze in an extra commitment twice a week for Jaehwan, but the trouble then is expense.  Dance is two-and-a-half times more expensive than piano lessons and he doesn’t get the benefits of one-on-one.  Not to mention he’s already going swimming once a week and in the football team with training twice a week and the English club after school every week – he’s going to be shattered if he takes on too much more.  Piano lessons once a fortnight aren’t too much of a burden and he’s pretty musical, which is why I’ve been suggesting that, but the only way we’d be able to afford him going to dance classes would be if we turned Luhan in for the reward money or if I was back in the office working full time immediately, in which case I wouldn’t have the time to take him and you wouldn’t either.”

Minseok slipped his arms around her.

“It’s not like we’re neglecting Jaehwan, either,” Semi went on.  “He’s pretty independent and both of us spend a fair amount of time with him.  It’s just that Jaera’s younger and needs more attention and watching, and if there’s another baby in the house, that’s where most of our attention will have to be for a while too.  But I’m scared that if I have to work harder so that we have the money to send him to dance and get somebody to babysit Jaera, I’m not going to have the time for him that he needs anymore, and then we’d have a real problem.”

Minseok mulled over what she was saying before carefully choosing his next words.  “Do you think one of us should stay home with the kids, then?”

She looked up at him, startled.  “W-would that work?”

“You were the one doing the financial viability calculations.”

Semi sighed.  “Our income wouldn’t be nearly as high, but there are tax breaks for married couples and families with more than two children.  It would save other expenses, though, like babysitters, and I definitely wouldn’t be so tired all the time, or worried about the children.”

“Why don’t we try?” Minseok suggested.

“I don’t want to be dependent like that.  It’ll put a lot of pressure on you.”

“No it won’t,” Minseok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter