IX

Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Oasis

 

It don't matter what you see
I know I could never be
Someone that'll look like you

 

Acute footsteps. Onyx silouhettes. The droop of a cigar and crisp, piercing eyes. Daehyun bows to his father as the man regards him with a meagre grunt. A servant rushes to take Yunho's briefcase as the intimidating man undoes his tie, tossing it aside while another helper scampers to retrieve it. Fear is chiselled into every angle of Yunho's abysmal stature, clawing out even a curl of fingers from the most upright and confident.

Daehyun's mother always cooed over how much his youngest son resembled his father. Unlike his older brothers Byunghee and Yonghwa, Daehyun took after Yunho in both his physical appearance and his personality. Both men are of a few words, chapped lips sealed and cut-throat eyes relentlessly scrutinising. He wishes he didn't resemble his father so much so Heechul can tell apart the grey of their irises. His father's cunning and ruthless nature is nothing like his. People are frightened of Daehyun and Yunho for different reasons—one because he can tell whatever you're hiding, one because he won't tell even if he knows you're lying.

"Father."

Yunho does not bother making eye contact with him though Daehyun drills his stare through his father's head. It is one o'clock in the morning—times where Heechul would hold his insomniac youngest son and rock him to sleep with dreamless playlists and lullaby whispers.

For once, Heechul is not stirring up a ruckus. He has been starkly calmer and more coherent after his visit to the beach and he had shockingly opened the door to pass the conch shell over. Sure, he had just stood at the doorway—squeezing the conch shell through the small gap he allowed between him and Yongguk, reluctantly telling him to deliver it to Youngjae—but it took Daehyun by surprise.

Yunho sheds his coat and curtly waves aside a servant, draping it over the coat rack himself. Daehyun clears his throat deeply.

"You sent Junhoe to me?"

Flicking off his panama, Yunho drops it onto the hook and spares Daehyun a glance. "I did."

"Why?" Daehyun does not miss the rebound, hitting it too early and not even trying to shroud his discontent. Yunho hacks out some phlegm, not affected in the least bit by Daehyun's slicing pitch.

"I supposed you were not busy. Junhoe wanted to pitch a rather creative idea and since your branch specialised in IT software, I redirected him to you. You eat dinner alone, after all." Yunho meets his gaze, nonchalance embedded into his wrinkles. "You told me that."

"Is there a problem?" Yunho hums, tapping his cigar with a hefty wheeze.

Daehyun's expression hardens. "I eat sometimes with my secretary, Father."

The end of Yunho's tight, thinned lips quirk just the slightest bit, as though coyly listening to orchestral pieces on Sunday mornings. "You eat with that , son? What did he offer you to have seduced you with such a putrid face?"

"Father-"

"The Byuns will be visiting this afternoon," Yunho interrupts swiftly, voice slow like strained jazz over the saxophone. He winds over to the couch and settles down, leaning back into the cushions and locking eyes with his son. "I'm sure you know they just returned from Shanghai. Baekhyun mentioned he's looking forward to seeing you after these long two years."

Daehyun folds his lips. Yunho lets out a ragged exhale and shuts his eyes, cocking his head back wearily. Silence decays between the fibre of their chapped lips and Yunho gradually pries open his eyes.

"How's your mother?"

Daehyun barely blinks, insouciance stitched into the hem of his skin. He had reassigned the servants present when Youngjae visited, sending them over to his place, and informed them that the Omega who visited was one of the researcher's wife. He'd warned them that the entire staff will be immediately dismissed the moment word gets out.

Youngjae had thankfully been wearing a mask that day so his personal identity is not at stake—but the fact remains that there are witnesses to Daehyun having invited an outsider Omega into the household. Yunho will not be pleased to hear of that and he may go as far as to permanently silence whoever was it who dare stepped into the household—and what more, learnt of Heechul's deranged condition.

"He was restless in the evening when I came, but he fell asleep an hour before you returned," Daehyun lies, languidly blinking. Heechul has been unusually calm the whole day, though not in his usual euphoric high after Himchan has brought him out.

Yunho senses nothing amiss as his shoulders collapse with relief, a wry smile drawn over his crinkled cheeks. "Wonderful."

"Why not you put up here for the night, boy? Stay a little longer. Your future wife will be happy to see you." He rises from the couch and spares not another glance at his son, pacing up the stairs. 

Daehyun's weighty gaze follows after his father, jaw unconsciously locking. If only he could resemble Yunho a little less for his mother to recognise he is no beast like his father. It's useless, though. Everyone in this household who has witnessed what went on but only watched wears the silhouette of Yunho over their backs.

 

--

 

The petite man before Daehyun has his slender, pale legs pressed together, obvious shyness in his curled fingers. Baekhyun's posture is absolutely straight, hands placed neatly over one another on his lap. Nearly every inch of his face is drawn on with make-up like a decorative ornamental piece, from the alluring darkness under his lashes to the prominent crimson draped over his paper white cheeks.

Daehyun slowly bats his eyelids as Baekhyun glances up and averts his gaze with a light smile. Yunho is sitting right next to Daehyun on the sofa, the servants slickly pouring them the finest brewed coffee from Guatemala. Dongwan, Baekhyun's father, is seated opposite Yunho with a casual grin, arms crossed while languidly leaning back into the cushion.

"How was your time in Shanghai?" Yunho asks with a light sigh, churning out a crickety smile. "You've been out of the country for so long."

Dongwan breaks out into hearty laughter. "As always. I'm sick of seeing that city. I need a change in scenery so maybe I should branch out Exodus to the UK soon."

Yunho offers a cordial chuckle, shaking his head. "Seems like work can't be divorced from you, can it, Dongwan?"

"You know how it goes. I'll be working till my back breaks." Dongwan his head one side and turns to find his son donning a pout. He clicks his tongue and pats Baekhyun's head apologetically. "It's not your fault, baby boy."

Dongwan has no Alpha sons of his own. Word goes that his wife is infertile and they had to resort to conceiving Baekhyun through IVF. Even then, the only successful test tube has been an Omega, thus Dongwan and his wife swiped whatever they could and raised Baekhyun. Exodus, Dongwan's successful trade company, therefore has no rightful heir. Many suitors have fought for Baekhyun's hand to gain a free pass to running Exodus, but Dongwan has already decided on handing the corporation over to his Alpha nephew, Donghae.

Daehyun and Baekhyun have been unofficially wedded since young. The arrangement was never explicitly stated but both parents often addressed the other's son as their future son-in-law. Both Baekhyun and Daehyun grew up knowing they would one day have to settle down together and neither protested. Daehyun didn't out of obedience and the fact that he had nothing to argue about, since this was to preserve ties between the two noble families. While for Baekhyun, it's clear he harbours some romantic feelings for Daehyun.

It seems, however, that Baekhyun's parents are quite wishy-washy over the pre-planned marriage. Back when Heechul was still in perfect mental condition, both wives got along well and would often drop by each other's places for tea. When Heechul slowly deteriorated into reclusion, the friendship between the families staled. From what Daehyun knew when he was young, Dongwan and Yunho were good friends, so the bond didn't break off wholly. But as he aged, he came to realise the rusty smiles stitched so evenly onto their faces and the subtle wariness in their glassy eyes.

Dongwan deviates his gaze over to Daehyun who persists in his stoic expression, though he firmly locks eyes with Dongwan in preparation for any questions. Dongwan dissolves into a wider grin and drawls, "It's nice to see you again, Daehyun. Seems like every time I meet you, you grow into a finer young man."

Baekhyun bites back a soft smile as Daehyun clears his throat. "Thank you, Uncle."

"He's now running the main branch here in Seoul, is he not, Yunho?" Dongwan veers the conversation back to Daehyun's father as the latter takes a sip of his coffee.

"Yes. Byunghee settled on taking over the branch in Hong Kong. You know that boy; he's never been fond of our homeland," Yunho provides, placing his cup down with one end of his lips curling.

"What is Yonghwa doing, then?" Dongwan questions curiously, persisting in his cordial smile.

Yunho emits a lengthy sigh and shares, "That boy started up his own insurance enterprise in Busan after you left. He's always been the most ambitious and rebellious out of the lot."

"He's an impressive one. Only a rare few would refuse taking over their father's empire and insist on building their own success from scratch. Well, you certainly left the main branch in good hands. Daehyun is mightily capable even though he's the youngest, hm?" Dongwan offers a belly laugh, not bothering to touch his drink and opting for the dark chocolate madeleines.

"I'd say so. My youngest son makes me the most proud with how hardworking and obedient he is, out of my three sons," Yunho returns, though he makes no acknowledgement of Daehyun sitting motionlessly by his side.

"How's your wife, then?" Dongwan asks. Though the question is phrased innocently without much thought, Daehyun sharply catches the prickling glint in Dongwan's seemingly uninterested eyes.

Yunho does not flinch, expectedly. His smile widens and he remarks, "He's doing well. For the past year, he's been spending his time meditating in our karesansui over in Boseong."

Daehyun makes no variation in his countenance, though he notices the brief glimpse Dongwan throws his way. The way his father lies is impeccable, as though truth is simply clay moulded from his crinkled fingertips. 

"He deserves the break after raising three children. My son is already a handful on his own," Dongwan laughs, earning a whine from Baekhyun.

The conversation bleeds out into elite chatters of teeth and fraudulent shows of camaraderie, Baekhyun bashfully speaking up every once in a while and Daehyun talking only when absolutely necessary. More often than not, Baekhyun steals a glance at Daehyun and sends him a minuscule simper every once in a while.

Besides a short interruption from Yonghwa's arrival (concoction of ready made smiles and his brother's smug eyes), everything runs smoothly. The slow blues of the afternoon beat black into the coming evening, downcast skies greeting Baekhyun and Dongwan as they take their leave. They project they'll visit in the next few weeks, mainly pushed by Baekhyun who had suddenly jumped in enthusiatically when speaking of their next return. 

Yunho immediately packs up the moment the guests vanish out the door, Daehyun watching silently as Yunho puts on his coat. Though Daehyun lives separately from his parents, it's possible he's in the house more often that his very father is. Despite Yunho having fondly regaled Dongwan and Baekhyun with Daehyun's many successful endeavours, when alone, he says not a word to his youngest son.

Yunho kicks the back of his leather shoes against the floor tile, movements creaky and bleeding of only the most sodden nicotine. He pauses momentarily and wriggles his fingers, jaundice skin slithering over his knuckles. Cocking his head back, he casts Daehyun a short, empty smile as the servant unlocks the door.

"See you soon, son," he greets, setting his eyes upon the cobbled path and stepping out. "I hope you'll visit next time with the intention of seeing me as well."

With that, he coalesces into the shallow night, slouched back shrivelling into his raven Rolls Royce. The servant shuts the door and Daehyun paces over to the hallway, glancing down at Heechul's room.

"Is Mother awake?"

"No, sir," the butler responds instantly, bowing slightly. "Mr. Jung was awake an hour ago and we fed him the sedatives under Master Jung's orders."

"He didn't protest?" Daehyun asks in a low growl, to which he receives a quick shake of the head. The swift footsteps down the aisle has him turning back, Yonghwa still dressed in a casual shirt and an immaculate blazer. Yonghwa adjusts his sleeves before noting Daehyun's presence, sinking into a Cheshire-like grin.

"Baekhyun's really into you, huh?" He pats his brother's back and muses, "Look at how much make-up he caked himself in to look pretty for you. Nearly mistook him for a clown."

"Are you going clubbing after this?" Daehyun questions, wholly ignoring Yonghwa's sniggers.

Yonghwa nods with a satisfied smirk, chuckling lowly. "Just swung by to say hello to Father, but seems like I missed him. Old man's still upset I turned down Jonghun's offer."

"You're not coming back after this, Brother?" Daehyun rebounds, not bothering to return the small talk.

"Nope. Why?" Yonghwa arches a brow curiously, Daehyun batting his eyelids with an unbreakable indifference.

"I might be clearing the house for Himchan to come," Daehyun states impassively. With Byunghee in Hong Kong now, he only needs to worry about Yonghwa visiting while Youngjae is around. Guests are rare nowadays as compared to a decade ago, as only Heechul's friends and parents visited when he was still mentally stable. Once Yonghwa is out of the way, Daehyun can evacuate the servants and leave only Yongguk and him present to greet Youngjae.

Yonghwa scoffs in amusement and hums, "Definitely not coming back, then. Good luck dealing with that ."

He strides down the hallway and vanishes from sight, leaving Daehyun to his thoughts. Himchan is taking oddly long to settle his heat this time round. Insistent on not getting a mate, he disappears monthly for certain intervals, leaving his mother to fend for himself. On average, heats take about a week to die out while for an unlucky some, heats can extend to over ten days. Still, the duration does not matter much because Omegas are all taught to find an Alpha to solve their heats. Once Omegas in heat have with an Alpha, their heat is quelled immediately.

Daehyun steps towards the closed door at the very far end of the corridor, sunlight pricking at the mahagony wood and coaxing to be let in. He in his lips and gingerly press his ear to the door, listening for any sounds. With the aggravating white noise he can barely make out anything, naturally inciting some worry in the recesses of his guts. That's one bad thing whenever Heechul is calm. When he's shouting, Daehyun can at least know he's still alive and breathing, but when it's all quietness, he has no idea what's going on behind the door.

Daehyun balls his fist and brings up his knuckles to the door, halting abruptly. He heaves and massages his temple, whipping out his phone. Punching in Yoo Youngjae's number just recently memorised, he shuts his eyes and listens tiredly to the dial tone.

 

--

 

Taking out his compact case, Baekhyun hums a melodious tune as he touches up his make-up, peering intently at his eyeshadow. Thankfully, nothing had smudged; he would have been an utter laughing stock if he'd somehow messed up his make-up in front of Daehyun. Upon thinking of Daehyun, Baekhyun bites back a soft giggle, enthusiastically powdering his cheeks.

"I don't get why you like him so much, baby boy," Dongwan mutters, uncoiling himself against the car seat with a satisfied sigh. He stretches himself as his Omega son continues singing a joyous harmony to himself, evidently on cloud nine after visiting his future husband.

"He's so emotionless and stiff. I nearly threw up when he tried to smile at me. He looked like his entire face was paralysed." Dongwan grimaces and instantly yelps when his son slaps his arm, nursing the targeted flesh with a low whine.

Baekhyun returns to polishing up his eyeshadow. He an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter