Chapter 24

My Girl (Sequel)

Chapter 24

 

My suitcase was a lot fuller than it should have been. I jumped on top and sat on it so I was able to zip it up. I know I was only going to be gone for a weekend, so why was I bringing so many things with me? Okay, it might have been a little illusion. I didn’t want my parents to know where I was going and I haven’t really talked to Jin Hyuk about going to Busan. I felt like it wasn’t as necessary or as big of a deal. I just wanted them to think I was going somewhere fun and far so they wouldn’t have to worry about me.

“Soo Jin?” Jin Hyuk nodded on the frame of my door and waited for me to look up. He was standing there looking handsome as ever wearing his suit. “Are you ready?”

“You’re just going on a plane, Jin Hyuk.” I said as I hopped off my suitcase and wobbled onto the ground. “Why do you have to look so good?”

“I’m meeting my boss as soon as I get to the airport and you know what they say about fashion wherever you go.” He winked at me, making me laugh.

“Let’s go put your things in the car and get going so you don’t miss your flight.” I said as I walked past him and down the stairs. “Did you want to grab food on the way there?”

“Your father already helped me pack up the car and your mother had already packed e food for the flight there.” He said as he followed behind me. “I believe you guys are taking too good care of me. It’s making me scared.”

I turned around and narrowed my eyes at him.

“In a good way.” He said laughing. “I just don’t want it to stop.”

“And who said it would?” I nudged him before grabbing his hand. “You know my parents love you and are thankful to have you around.”

“Oh, we do, Jin Hyuk.” My mother popped her head out from the kitchen and smiled at us. “I hope you like what I made. I didn’t want to take your time so I made something quickly.

“I’m thankful you even thought about making me food.” Jin Hyuk replied happily.

“I hope things go well over there in Japan.” My father walked up to us and patted Jin Hyuk’s shoulders. “Do let us know if you need anything later.”

“Thank you guys so much for the hospitality. I feel as if I’m leaving for awhile even when I’m not going to be.” Jin Hyuk chuckled. “But I’ll be back soon.”

“Do let us know when you come back.” My father said. “I will come pick you up.”

“Thank you.” Jin Hyuk bowed before turning towards me. He leaned in and kissed my forehead before looking at his watch. “Let’s go?”

I nodded my head as we got outside to the car. Instead of me driving, he decided he’d drive to the airport and I would take over after.

 

**

 

The ride was as quiet as a mouse. I don’t know if it was because I was so immersed in everything that was passing by or if it was because he really just didn’t seem to want to talk to me, but I didn’t like it. I turned to look at him as we were pulling up to the ‘drop-off’ area. He parked the car and got out without even looking at me. It felt weird.

“Jin Hyuk…” I got out of the car and walked over to the trunk where he was.

“What?” He asked, saying in a tone I have never heard him use once ever towards me.

“A-are you okay?” I asked as I watched him take out two suitcases and close the trunk.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” He raised an eyebrow before getting onto the pavement.

“I don’t know. You’re acting really weird…” I said, pursing my lips. “Did I do something?”

“What do you mean?” He asked blatantly.

“You weren’t really talking the whole car ride and was just wondering if something happened…” I reached out for his arm but he took a step back, but it looked like he didn’t purposely do it.

“What could have happened within those thirty minutes we were together?”

“I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking you.” I shrugged. “Are you okay?”

“Why are you asking me so many questions?” I’ve never heard Jin Hyuk sound so annoyed of me and it kind of hurt me. I didn’t even know what to say or do.

“Jin Hyuk, if there’s something wrong –”

I watched as he looked down at his watch before looking back behind him. “I have to go. I’m going to run late.”

Before I could say anything to him, he shoved the keys into my hands and walked into the airport without even looking back at me. This was not right. Something was off, but why couldn’t I get myself to chase after him? I stood there in shock and looked down at the keys he had just given me. What was going on? He was just loving and affectionate at my place, but now he was acting like a whole new person.

A car beside me beeped at me, causing me to jump and forget I was just standing there without thinking. I quickly apologized and hopped into the car before driving off.

 

**

 

I stared at my suitcase for a good minute before opening it back up and taking out only a few shirts and jeans and stuffed them into a small backpack. I don’t know why I struggled to pack like this in the first place when I knew where I was going from the start, but I guess it’s not like it really changed anything.

As I made my way down stairs, I saw that only my mother was home. She was cooking something in the kitchen, but it smelt bitter. It was probably something my dad would want to eat.

“You’re not taking your suitcase with you?” My mother asked as I dropped the key off on the counter and was about to walk out of the house.

I pressed my lips together before shaking my head.

“Why? Where are you going?” She asked confused. “I thought you were going to go somewhere extravagant? Are you not going anymore?”

“If am going somewhere extravagant, but that doesn’t mean I need to take my whole life with me.” I shrugged with a small sigh.

“Something’s off.” She said, furrowing her eyebrows. “Are you okay?”

“I could be.” I said before I walked out.

My mother didn’t say anything to me so I closed the door behind me. I walked over to the bus stop just as the bus was pulling up. Luckily, it wasn’t busy since it was already the afternoon. I found an opened seat and sat down and looked down at my phone. I haven’t gotten one single message from Jin Hyuk and it was starting to worry me.

I wonder if something suddenly happen and it put him in a sour mood, but it was weird. Not once ever since we started dating or have gotten together has he raised his voice at me, other than when I first met him because he was drunk and couldn’t even remember a single thing about that night. It was starting to irritate me, but I knew if I were to text or call him, I wouldn’t get a response.

As I leaned back in my seat, I thought back to Jin Guk and how he was doing. I’ve only seen him twice, but I wanted to visit him before I left to my trip to Busan. I quickly got off the bus and walked to the market. I had to look up what to get him since he was getting dialysis treatment. I didn’t want to get him something he couldn’t eat or was hard for his body to break down.

I ordered steamed fish soup with rice and bought a few fruits and headed towards the hospital. I walked into the revolving doors and remembered exactly how to get back to his room. There was only one nurse up at the desk when I got there. I walked up and awkwardly tap the counter, getting her attention.

“Hello, how may I help you?” She asked looking up at me with a smile.

“Uh, yeah, is Se Hun here yet?” I asked looking around curiously as if I was really interested even though I was hoping he really wasn’t here.

“Se Hun actually just walked out to take a phone call. Are you here to see him?” She asked, seeming like she was starting to get suspicious of me.

I nodded my head. “I told him I’d come with some food for him and Jin Guk.” I raised up the bag I had in my hands. “He was hungry.”

“Oh, okay.” She nodded her head. “You can go sit in Jin Guk’s room and wait for him.”

“Thanks…” I said as I hurriedly ran into the room and closed the door behind me.

As I got into the room, I moved the curtains that were in the way and walked over towards the bed only to see Jin Guk sound asleep. His face was a little puffier than I had last seen him and he looked like he gained a bit of weight as well. I set the food aside and sat down on a chair beside the bed and reached over to grab his little hands that were shaking. He was cold and he wouldn’t stop shivering. I lightly squeezed them, causing his eyes to open.

“Noona?” He smiled slowly. “What are you doing here?”

“It’s been awhile, hasn’t it?” I asked.

“Mmhmm.” He nodded slowly.

“I’m sorry I took so long to come visit.” I could tell his movements were a lot slower than normal. It was breaking my heart seeing him this way. “How are you feeling?”

“Not so good, but I feel better now that you’re here.” He tried to get up, but it looked like he had little to not strength. I helped him sit up and he was now staring at me with the biggest smile. “I’m so happy you’re here, Noona. I was scared I wasn’t going to get to see you again.”

“Why would you say that?” I asked as I softly smoothed the back of his head.

“Noona, my kidneys have failed me even though I’ve been urging them on.” He chuckled at his own words and I felt my heart break into pieces. “Appa just found this out the other day and he was crying like I’ve never seen before.”

I suddenly felt tears streaming down my face. I quickly wiped them.

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this, Noona. I wanted to look handsome for you for when you came back. I even told Appa and he said he’d let me.” Jin Guk reached his arms out towards me. “Noona, can I get a hug?”

I nodded my head as I pulled him into an embrace. It was weird. I could feel how warm his body was radiating against mine. He started coughing so I backed up and gave him some space.

“I brought you some fish and fruits. Make sure to eat some, okay?” I smiled at him.

He nodded his head. “Are you leaving already?”

“Mmhmm. I’m going to go on a trip.” I replied.

“Busan? Appa said he used to go there often.” His face lit up like the kid he was. “I want to go!”

“I’ll take you next time when you’re all better, I promise.” I said as I held my pinky out guiltily.

“Appa said the same. Maybe we can all go together?” He clasped his hands together. “Oh boy, I’m excited to go!”

“I can’t wait till we get to.” I got up and hugged him once more before heading towards the door. “Don’t forget to eat and rest, okay, Jin Guk?”

He nodded his head. “Will you come back?”

“Yes, I will.” I said as I slipped out of the room.

As I walked down the hallway, I felt like my legs were dragging against the floor, as if I didn’t know if I should leave him there alone. He had a little place in my heart even if I’ve only met Jin Guk three times, but there was something about him that really reminded me of Se Hun’s grandpa. It hurt my heart. Was he going to be okay?

Was Se Hun okay?

 

**

 

The train ride to Busan was bumpy and boring. I had so many things on my mind and it wasn’t making the ride go by any faster. Jin Hyuk still hasn’t texted me or called to say that he’s landed and I know he probably has. I even managed to text and leave him a voicemail letting him know I missed him and I was waiting for him to reply to me, but nope, nothing.

I was starting to think that if there was a problem, it had something to do with me, but what would it be? I barely see or talk to him since he’s so busy with work.

I pulled at my hair as we arrived to Busan. I quickly grabbed my only bag that I brought along with me to the trip and walked out wondering what the hell I was going to do.

Why did I even end up coming here?

 

 



Author's Note!!!: Hello everyone, thanks for being so patient and I apologize if this isn't a good chapter. I just wanted to let you guys know I'm going on a short hiatus. My grandpa just passed away and I need some time to focus on myself and the rest of my family. I just wanted to let you guys know just in case I take longer than needed to upload the next chapter. This also means I won't be able to attend the EXO concert in LA at the end of April. If anyone knows someone who wants to go, please PM through twitter (@181O61) or through instagram (@ohmykaz) as I am selling my tickets and this would be a faster way for me to respond to you all. Thank you in advance.