Chapter 14

My Girl (Sequel)

Chapter 14

 

My mind was a mess. I couldn’t think straight with the rain pouring down on me and knowing that Se Hun was only standing less than five yards away from me made me feel even worse. How many times has it been like this between the two of us? Yards apart and yet, it felt like we were millions of miles further. I took a deep breath and started to take small steps backwards, contemplating life. I was becoming crazy with the thoughts that were running through my mind, wondering what the hell had happened.

I felt tears b on my eyes and they burned through the cold rain. I could feel the warmth of the tears, but I knew I was hurt by all this thinking within a matter of minutes. I was starting to choke on my cry. I had to get away. I just had to get out of here. Turning around, unable to see through my tears, I started walking the opposite way from where I remembered where Se Hun was standing. I felt suffocated and my heart ached.

As I sped up down the street, the rain that poured down on us and the crowds of laughter and whispers were drowned in sudden silence. I couldn’t hear anything other than a small ringing in my ears. I took another step, only to feel someone’s fingers wrap around my wrist, pulling me to the side roughly making me hit them.

 “Let go of me!” I cried as I tried to push the person off. “Let… Me… Go…”

My body felt weak. I could feel everything inside of me suddenly give up, as if they couldn’t take it any longer. I was so overwhelmed and taken over by all these things that I didn’t know what was going on anymore. I just wanted to curl up in a ball right there on the sidewalk and cry my eyes out, but the person wrapped their arms around my shivering body and held me close to them, letting my heart settle for a second.

“Soo Jin, please calm down.”

I felt my arms fall down to my sides as I realized who was talking to me. It wasn’t who I was expecting at that very moment, and no matter how many times I would’ve hated to see him right then and there, I felt somewhat secure that it was him out of everyone who could have seen me wailing like this like the madwoman I’ve suddenly become.

Jae Hyun wrapped something warm around me before letting one of his arms wrap around my waist. He pulled me towards him, somewhat making sure I wasn’t looking in the direction where Se Hun was, and rubbed my arm to assure me that everything was going to be alright. I bit my bottom lip, which were shaking. I didn’t know if it was because of the rain, something I kept blaming, or because I was having a mental break down in front of strangers, who kept staring at me.

How many times have I earned these looks today?

 

**

 

Why was it Jae Hyun, who was sitting on the couch right beside me, again like how it was when I had become crazy the last time I tried to get rid of Se Hun? I tilted my head back until it was leaning on the rim of the couch. I stared up at the ceiling and took a deep breath. Jung Ah had decided to go puke again, but she decided that it’d be best she’d use the bathroom upstairs to let Jae Hyun and I talk.

“Soo Jin, you know I don’t want to pry, but what happened back there? Jung Ah said you went back to go get ice cream.” Jae Hyun was looking at me, his elbows on his knees while his hands clasped together out in front of him. “But you came back empty handed…”

“They were out of ice cream.” I replied quietly, feeling the corners of my lips turn into a small smile as I thought about how silly it sounded.

“Ah, so you were upset because they were out of ice cream?” He pursed his lips before leaning back against the couch. “Wow. Canada really changed you, huh? It got our Ahn Soo Jin crying over ice cream…”

“Is it wrong for me to cry over something that’s happened in the past?” I finally looked over at him, making him raise an eyebrow at me.

“I don’t think you’re the only one lingering back there.” He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I’m not lingering back there…” I rolled my eyes. “I meant… What if I found something out in the past? I mean, is it okay for me to… You know…?”

“What? Did you travel to the past? Is that what you did when you were “back” there?” Jae Hyun squinted his eyes at me.

“Get out of my house.” I glared at him.

“Yeah, we should leave.” Jung Ah spoke, making both Jae Hyun and I jump. “What? Why are you two acting like you’ve seen a ghost?”

“We did.” Jae Hyun said as he stood up and walked over towards her. “What did you do in the bathroom? You look like you’ve been crying too.”

“I wasn’t crying. I was puking.” She snarled. “My stomach hurts.”

“It was all that drinking with Kai.” I shook my head. “Next time, you better choose not to go out before my wedding planning!”

Jung Ah pressed her lips together and looked away from me.

 

**

 

I found myself waking up in the middle of the night on the couch in the living room. I dug for my phone, pulling it out from the cracks of the seats to check the time. It was nine-thirty at night. I was supposed to only take an hour nap. As I turned around on the couch, I was about to close my eyes and sleep some more, but I could see a light from behind me.

The light was still on in the kitchen, so someone must’ve still been up. I got up from the couch and walked towards the room. I saw my father sitting there in the kitchen flipping through some papers quietly. He didn’t look up when I walked in, so when I pulled the chair back, which was brought to his attention, he looked up at me like he’s seen a ghost.

“You scared me!” His hand went to his chest as he took a breath from the sight. “What are you doing up at this time? I thought you were dead out cold!”

“I thought I was too.” I said as I sat down with small laugh. “What are you doing still up? You should be sleeping.”

“Jin Hyuk has been stressing out over these papers and asked for me to help, so I decided to. He’s been working overtime. It’s crazy he can still move about.” He set the papers down and crossed his arm over the table, giving his sudden attention to me. “Why do your eyes look like that? Were you crying?”

I lowered my head as I shook it. “No, I think it’s from the lack of sleep I’ve been getting and today was stressful.”

“Ah, I heard Jung Ah was sick the whole day.” My father let out a chuckle. “How did the wedding planning go anyway? Did you figure out anything exciting?”

“No, we don’t start that until a couple days.” I replied, fiddling with my fingers. “I think we’re going to go see the venue first and then we’re going to do the more simple things…”

“I didn’t know finding the right dress was supposed to be… I don’t know? Simple…?” He laughed hysterically.

“Well, you know what I mean.” I glared at him playfully.

“Finding a dress is probably the worst thing out of all the things you could plan for a wedding. Your mother took months and months to find the one she thought was right for her.” He shook his head. “Ah, what am I going to do when I see my daughter in a wedding dress?”

“You’re going to give me away to the love of my life!” I sang as cutely as possible, but I’m sure I failed because my father laughed once more. “Oh come on, you love it.”

“I do, I do, honey.” He sighed. “I just still can’t believe you’ll be getting married…”

“I can’t either…”

“Soo Jin?”

“Yeah?” I looked at him.

“A-are you even ready?” He whispered. “I know –“

“It’s not what you’re thinking.” I interrupted him. “I’ve thought about it a lot, honestly, Appa. I’ve thought about the day I’d have to leave you and mom and how saddened I’d be about it…”

My father didn’t say anything. I’m sure he knew what I meant and I knew where he was going with his reply, but I didn’t want to hear it. I reached over and held his hands in mine as I thought about the day he’d give me away.

Was I going to be ready when it happened?

 

**

 

I stared at myself in the mirror for the millionth time, wondering if what I was wearing was appropriate enough for what I was going to do tonight. My lips were tinted with my plum colored lipstick I found in my makeup bag, but when I stared into my own eyes, I couldn’t even see myself in it. Why did I have to cry so much that my eyes looked like I had been lacking in sleep?

Grabbing my clutch that I found at the bottom of my closet, I ran out of my bedroom quietly making sure that my parents were still sound asleep so they wouldn’t catch me sneaking out. I know. I know. I was practically twenty-four and here I was, sneaking out in the middle of the night to go to the bars so I could get some drinks. I was in need of some alcohol.

Jin Hyuk hadn’t been answering my text messages or my calls, so I wasn’t expecting to see him tonight, even though he’d be the right person to make me feel whole again.

I got into a taxi and went downtown, finding myself where Kai and Baek Hyun worked. The building was already blasting with loud music, making my ears go deaf, but I’d rather be here than anywhere else. I said my hellos to the bouncers, who smiled at me friendlily, and walked into flashing lights and sweaty bodies dancing on each other.

Why did I think this was a good idea? I stood by the top of the staircase and took a look below, wondering if there would be anyone I know here. As I looked around, the only ones I could take notice were Kai and Baek Hyun, who were making drinks at the bar with smiles on their faces. I couldn’t help but also notice the girls whom were all goggling their eyes over them. I wanted to throw up witnessing the scene.

I found an open seat in front of the bar and tapped the table rudely, trying to get their attention. Without a doubt, it was pissing them both off, so when their eyes landed on me, I saw the hatred and annoyance in them, but they soon softened.

“Well, look who it is.” Baek Hyun said as he poured a shot and handed it to me without even having me order. “I think you’re going to need a couple of this tonight.”

“What? What makes you think that?” I asked taking it without hesitation, feeling the alcohol burn the back of my throat. “Oh my god, did you already hear my mental breakdown?”

“What mental breakdown?” Kai came over with a raised eyebrow. “Jae Hyun just said you were crying today, but he wouldn’t tell us why.”

“Shut up, Kai. You talk too much.” Baek Hyun was now pouring three glasses of beer for the three of us. He handed one to me, gave the other one to Kai, and then took the last one. He lifted the glass up with his signature box-smile. “How about a cheers to Ahn Soo Jin coming out on her own?”

“Cheers to that.” Kai said clinking his glass with mine and Baek Hyun.

I never knew how good beer tasted in times of need. I mean, I used alcohol as an excuse a lot when I went through some sort of depression, but this, this was what I needed especially after having a mental breakdown. I took the last gulp and took a deep breath, wondering why I never had more alcohol.

“ing ay…” Baek Hyun hissed under his breath, running his fingers through his messy blonde hair. “Why the hell did you come on a night like this? You should’ve warned us!”

“Sorry, it was last minute.” I bit my lips together and shrugged.

“We want to drink with you and have some fun, but we have to work too.” Baek Hyun shook his head before looking at me with his eyes. “We’ll serve you as much as we can. Stay here and let us know where you’re going first, okay?”

“What are you, my dad?” I rolled my eyes, tapping the counter just to annoy him and Kai, who grabbed my hand to stop me from doing so.

“We may not be your dad, but we can worry about you, okay?” Kai smirked cutely at me, making me wonder why I didn’t go for this kid when we were in high school. Okay. Just kidding. I shouldn’t be looking at another man right now. “And also, there are a lot of erts here. I mean, look at you, Soo Jin…”

“What?” I asked looking down at my outfit once more. “Is there something wrong?”

“No, you look great even after all these years.” Baek Hyun chuckled before waving at me to go serve a girl who was yelling for him.

“What would you like to drink before I leave to serve these other annoying people?” Kai sighed, grabbing a bottle and swirling it around with his hands. “A beer? A shot? A mixed drink?”

“What’s your favorite?” I asked.

Kai put a finger to his lips before he grabbed a couple of bottles, pouring them all into a tall glass. He then grabbed a tap from the side and poured, what seemed like soda, mixing all the liquid together. He handed it to me with a smile before leaving me there, wondering what the hell he just put together. I don’t know if I was asking for death or not, but when I took my first sip, I knew I wasn’t going to make it through the night.

 

**

 

Within an hour, I felt my head hanging low. It felt heavier and heavier with every sip and I was surprised that I finished it without even knowing it. I held the glass up and laughed a little, wondering why I was here drinking so many alcoholic beverages. My stomach was bloated and I was starving. I hated having munchies at times like this, especially if there was no one to really accompany.

“B-Baek! K-Kai!” I slammed the counter multiple times before the two of them came racing over, as if I was about to die – which I kind of was. “I-I’m going to go to the b-bathroom.”

“I’ll take you.” Kai said almost immediately, but I shook my head.

“No, no, no, I’m fine.” I was seeing more than one Kai, and it was starting to scare me. “I-I’ll come back as soon as I finish using the bathroom.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Baek Hyun grabbed my chin and laughed at my drunkness. “Oh dear. He’s going to kill us if he sees her like this. What the hell did you give her?”

“I gave her one of my favorite mixed drinks.” Kai shrugged, giving a devilish smile to Baek Hyun, who burst out into laughter.

“He’s going to kick your .” Baek Hyun let my chin go and patted my cheek lightly. “Go to the bathroom and come back here, you got it?”

I nodded my head and got off the seat, making my way towards the bathroom like I remembered. I couldn’t even walk straight and I had bumped into too many people who didn’t even care since they too were all too drunk and were too busy dancing with someone. I went straight to the sink and washed my hands before looking at myself in the mirror.

Who was this person in front of me?

“Soo Jin?”

Duh. Of course. It’s Soo Jin. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a second. Wait. That wasn’t even the voice inside my head.

“Soo Jin, is that you?”

Turning around, realizing that it wasn’t just me being drunk and hearing random voices in the back of my head, I saw someone I thought I’d never see again in a million years.

“Y-Yoo Ra?” I suddenly became sober.

 

 



Author's Note: You all probably hate me, huh? Sorry, giving you all another "cliff-hanger" just because... But on a real note, everyone's reaction to the last chapter pretty much made my whole week. Muahaha. I've never seen so many people out of their minds, but it was quite enjoyable to read everyone's comments and theories. I just want to say, there's only one person who noticed something that I've been hinting and then oh, I'm not going to let you know if your theories were/weren't correct just because I enjoy reading how you all are suffering. /evil smile/. But here's an update for all you lovelies. Don't go crazy and please don't kill me. Muahahahahahaha.

 

If you want to ask me questions or anything:

twitter @181061
ask.fm/oneeightonezerosixone